Brandon Knight: Metta World Peace punched me

Brandon Knight and Metta World Peace got tangled up in the second quarter yesterday, a dust-up that earned World Peace a flagrant foul. But that wasn’t good enough for Knight. Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

“The play needs to be reviewed because he definitely threw a punch,” Knight said. “It felt like he threw a punch. That’s why I reacted the way I did.

“The play was over and he grabbed me around the neck. If someone grabs you around the neck, you’re not just going to let that happen. You do what you need to get that person off you.”

Here’s video, via SBNation:

I don’t know. World Peace’s fist wasn’t clenched, and it’s at least possible he was just trying to gain separation from Knight (who was still hanging on) and happened to touch Knight’s chin in the process. I’m not sure how much the NBA will consider intent, but World Peace probably won’t get the benefit of the doubt, especially with his explanation. David Mayo of MLive:

"If he says that, he says that," World Peace said of the punch accusation. "Whatever. If he says it, whatever."

Asked his version of the incident, World Peace was non-committal.

"I don’t really remember," he said. "He was trying his hardest to keep me out of the paint."

• Feb 4, 20139:46 am
    by Rodman4Life

I don’t remember seeing Mahorn taking cheap shots at smaller guards.  Artest is always going after smaller players, like Garnett.  Doesn’t have the brass to go after someone his own size!

• Feb 4, 201310:30 am
      by Derek

Mahorn didn’t discrimminate.  He put everybody down like dead animals.  When he was still with the Bullets he leveled Isiah.  He flattened Mark Price on separate occasions.  Still he went after the biggest and alleged baddest too.

I’ve never seen Artest looked to get wrapped up with Kenyon Martin.  Or make a real effort to get it in with Ben Wallace.

It’s whatever.

Artest tagged him on the chin.  If you have ever slap boxed you recognize when a dude is trying to slip you a little something on the chin.  That’s exactly what he did.  Artest didn’t try to go off on him, or else BK7 would have been unconscious with some dislodged teeth.

“Test the Peace” was trying to send a message.  He was trying to punk him.

• Feb 4, 20132:15 pm
        by Rodman4Life

I said “cheap” shot.  Mahorn laid out picks that had serious pop.  And he would hit anybody, with his fists too.  But I don’t recall him holding someone near and then slipping a punch under the table cloth.  I think once Mahorn made up his mind everyone knew it was coming.

• Feb 4, 201310:06 am
    by I HATE FRANK

probably wasnt TOTALLY intentional…but it did look like a slight boxers uppercut…at around the 8 second mark… and that when Knight got real animated…

• Feb 4, 201310:32 am
      by Derek

intentional.

totally intentional.

Metta was holding the back of his head, yet he claimed he was trying to get free of him.

• Feb 4, 201310:21 am
    by Clint in Flint

If I remember correctly he ran like a coward when Big Ben was after him.

• Feb 4, 201310:38 am
    by G

It certainly wasn’t a closed-fist punch, but it looked pretty intentional. He was grabbing Knight around the neck and then popped him on the chin. If you want to say it was unintentional, then MWP was using that arm to create separation, but if that’s the case then why was he still holding Knight around the neck? It looked more like a hockey fight move to me, except the open fist part.

2 things – the fact that Knight was able to be as physical as that with MWP (who’s at least 70 lbs heavier) gives me hope for when Knight switches to SG. The second thing, I would’ve really like to see Maxiell & Artest throw down right there. I know that probably would’ve been a several game suspension for them, but man would that’ve been a sweet fight. Maybe I’m getting too amped by this hockey season…

• Feb 4, 201311:11 am
    by Corey

Looked pretty harmless to me, and probably accidental. He was trying to lift his arm up in between them so he could push him away. He did have the other arm around him, but that was basically a clinch to prevent punches from getting thrown. I know Artest’s history and am not a fan, but that wasn’t worth getting excited about.

• Feb 4, 201312:35 pm
      by G

C’mon man, It’s Artest we’re talking about. He pulls this crap all the time, dirty physical crap to intimidate other players. You really think he “accidentally” grabbed Knight’s head & popped him on the chin? It wasn’t a bad shot like the elbow to James Harden, but it was definitely intentional.

• Feb 4, 201312:37 pm
    by Victor

I just miss Big Ben.

• Feb 4, 20133:21 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

young Ben yes… older Ben NOPE!

• Feb 13, 20132:55 am
    by James

That’s quite the misnomer for world peace! Share the story with the anonymous community on the number-based social channel. http://bit.ly/XlI6of