Andre Drummond playing bongo to rehab

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

While other Pistons were getting in some light jogging following this morning’s shootaround at the Palace practice facility, Drummond sat there beating on a bongo … badly.

“This is my rehab,” Drummond said as he walked away, carrying the drum.

Yeah, there actually is a method to strength-and-conditioning coach Arnie Kander’s bongo madness. Playing the drum requires good posture, so it helps the body’s core.

I typically accept Occam’s razor, but pardon me for a moment here. Arnie Kander is revered, and his methods have become unquestioned.

This is just a rookie prank, right?

I mean, Kander could tell Drummond to paint his face with frosting, and Drummond would have to think it would help his back. Kander has that much clout. So my theory is the Pistons’ veterans enlisted Kander to help prank Drummond.

That or this is the coolest rehab ever.

• Feb 12, 201312:06 pm
    by hoophabit

It might be a prank, but if so I’d have bought it.  The simplest hypothesis might be that Arnie meant what he said.  When you think about it as a posture “exercise” it kind of makes sense.  If you need to keep up a beat over a long period of time you would want keep your hands in near your torso, it being much more difficult to hold them extended.  The way the picture looked it made him lean in and straighten his back, which I guess is the point.  If it’s a gag they’ll let us know eventually.

• Feb 12, 201312:56 pm
    by mixmasta

I am not sure if you guys saw the video clip of this during the game with Hornets. It looks like it is not a prank but a diversion.

• Feb 12, 20131:38 pm

Well at least there’s a new idea for halftime entertainment.

Pistons fans don’t want Star Wars night or whatever. They want to see Drummond. And if he can’t play basketball, they can at least see him drumm on d bongo.

• Feb 12, 20133:12 pm
    by T Casey

If Arnie Kander weren’t behind it, I’d be inclined to believe that it’s a prank. But he’s known for having some unorthodox training and recovery methods, so I’m buying it.

• Feb 12, 20135:11 pm
    by 19880607

The first time Kander helps prank a patient will be the beginning of the end of his reputation. I think he has worked to hard for too many years too get where he is to risk his credibility just to make a few vets chuckle for ten minutes. I know just enough about the subject to know that bongo playing is probably the highest impact activity he can do without risking re-injuring his back.

• Feb 12, 20137:22 pm
    by Aruna

Maybe Andre is the pranker, not the prankee . . .

• Feb 12, 20139:13 pm
    by Lake Side Live

When I go to the game at the end of march will the palace let me bring in a bongo?

• Feb 12, 201311:31 pm
    by tim

BTW its very clearly not a bongo in the clip they showed during the game last night.  I know we cant all be music nerds, but damn.