Trading for Tayshaun Prince not recommended

Joe Kaiser of ESPN named five players NBA teams should avoid trading for, and Tayshaun Prince made the list:

Prince has long been considered one of the league’s top "glue guys," and his name is sure to come up as a possibility for contending teams looking to add a savvy wing defender. Teams such as Milwaukee, Golden State, Utah and maybe even Houston all fit that description.

The problem is that Prince is still playing big minutes (32.5 per game) in his 11th season in the league and will turn 33 next month. That isn’t to say he’s washed up. In fact, thanks in large part to Prince, Pistons small forwards have a PER 1.8 points higher than their opponents this season, according to 82games.com. The problem is that Prince is guaranteed $7.23 million next season and $7.70 million in 2014-15 (when he turns 35), which is a lot of money to be wrapped up in a veteran who has logged a ton of minutes in his career and has seen his scoring (11.9 PPG) dip to its lowest point since the 2003-04 season.

Hey, Joe, shhhh.

• Jan 29, 20135:42 pm
    by Sop

I’d send him for Jose Calderon’s expiring contract in that Memphis deal.

• Jan 29, 20136:46 pm
      by gmehl

5 stars SOP. Someone make it happen… like yesterday!

• Jan 29, 20138:17 pm
    by Jon

I didn’t have anywhere else to ask this question and it has nothing to do with the post above.  Does anyone question the PED issue within the NBA.  I mean, I look at players like KG and think to myself, “how does he do it at that age?”  I just wanted to get my thoughts out there.  Thanks for reading.

• Jan 30, 201312:50 am
      by Jordan

It’s largely ignored but there are plenty of questions about these flights Kobe made to Germany. Rashard Lewis, probably the most well known person caught using steroids in basketball, fell off a cliff immediately after his return from said suspension. If we look back in 10 years and consider ourselves naive for believing things are on the up and up I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Jan 30, 201312:00 am

$7.7M is a bit steep but not crazy for a player who brings what Prince does to the table. Not a bad contract, it just doesn’t belong in Detroit.

• Jan 30, 20131:11 pm
    by Otis

Um, Dumars isn’t trading him. He’s untouchable. Don’t worry about what this guy has to say.