Tayshaun Prince, Corey Maggette mentor Brandon Knight as Pistons seek leaders

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

Knight also doesn’t have teammates constantly in his ear, although veterans Corey Maggette and Tayshaun Prince have taken turns pulling him aside during games, especially when he’s struggling. Prince pointed out Knight before the season, calling his development a key to whatever success the Pistons might have.

"I think I’m pretty good at what to take and listen to and what not to," Knight said. "It can for some guys get confusing when you have a lot of guys telling you what you should be doing."

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press also has a good article on the Pistons’ leadership dynamics. Tayshaun Prince is much improved in that regard, and Corey Maggette is doing his best considering he’s out of the rotation.

But I think it’s good Brandon Knight – and Greg Monroe – are developing in a leadership vacuum. It certainly beats the days when guys like Richard Hamilton and Prince were leading boycotts of John Kuester’s shootarounds. Now, Knight and Monroe can develop into the leaders they appear capable of becoming without that spot already held.

• Jan 9, 20131:55 pm
    by Blocks By Dre

Drummond=leader

Monroe/Knight=Drummond’s minions

The rest in 3/4 years=useless

• Jan 9, 20131:57 pm
      by Blocks By Dre

Forgot to add Stuckey with Knight/Monroe as a minion

• Jan 9, 20131:56 pm
    by jacob

Now Knight just need a few more good players to lead!

• Jan 9, 20134:08 pm
    by Brady Fredericksen

Blocks By Dre, I don’t think it’s fair to put any sort of expectation on Drummond to be a leader now. Kid’s 19 years old and lives with his mother. Considering Monroe is pretty low-profile, I’d have to think this is Knight’s role to take (whenever he decides he’s ready).

• Jan 9, 20134:49 pm
      by Blocks By Dre

I meant eventual leader but I see your point

• Jan 9, 201311:33 pm
      by gmehl

@Brady – off topic but are you a member of the Wiggles

• Jan 9, 20134:54 pm
    by Big Rick

Knight seems to have quite a few of the intagibles required to be a leader, based on his scouting report and how everyone in the Pistons’ organization praise his tireless work ethic and mental aptitude. I say the only thing preventhing or standing as a roadblock in his role as the team’s undisputed leader is his inconsistent play on the court.

• Jan 9, 20135:49 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Knight can not lead this team because of Prince,,,Prince is haing a very good bounce back season…but he is not a leader

• Jan 9, 20137:51 pm
      by Stuckey and Whoever

I don’t know how Prince cant slow someone down by being a leader.  I kind of get what your saying because prince is making shots and being a efficient they need for knight to be above average is not always needed.  I think like Stuckey, Knight is learning how to be how to be effective without the ball.  Its good he is learning.  Stuckey didn’t have the option until now, and he really won’t until Knight steps up.  Still don’t think he can be a playmaker but I give him until the end of this season to make a final decision.

• Jan 9, 20137:52 pm
        by Stuckey and Whoever

*can*

• Jan 10, 20132:03 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Prince divides the locker room…

I respect what Prince is doing as a player, but not as a leader on or off the floor

• Jan 9, 20136:48 pm
    by Tyrone

I think that the most important of this story is the veteran Corey Maggette, being a true professional and taking young BK7 under his wing and helping to mentor him instead of being a distraction due to lack of playing time.  Maggette will find him self in the coach ranks after this season, way to be a professional Corey.

Note, I hope that Maggette is playing hard in practice and also taking young Kim English under his wing and mentoring him and pushing him during practices.

• Jan 9, 20138:00 pm
    by steve

I was thinking about this earlier today, the team is kind of developing like a college team, where they are all about the same age, probably more realistic competition in the long run

• Jan 9, 20138:03 pm
    by Stuckey and Whoever

Pistons don’t seek leaders, Prince and Maggette were showing that by being mentors.  They are seeking for their starting point guard to improve his play and stop getting benched.  You got Monroe to throw it to, and when Drummond is in all you have to do is throw it near the back board.  Stop thinking you have to do everything yourself.  Draw the defense then your man will be open, stop turning it over.  Something along those lines.

• Jan 9, 20139:53 pm
    by Holy Crow

It makes me laugh when guys like Dan Feldman, Vincent Goodwill and Vince Ellis start discussing the facets of leadership. (Hypothetically)

• Jan 10, 20131:57 am
    by Big Rick

LOL @ Gmel “wiggles” Haha

• Jan 10, 20134:59 pm
    by Chewy

In all actually if you look at Greg Monroe around as a player he has many valuable pieces and is widely underrated within the league.  This eventually will be Brandon Knights team, but Monroe with Drummond in a close second are on the cusp of greatness.  The added play this year of Kyle Singler can not be over looked though he has brought strong work ethic to the club, both on and off the coart which is a indirect portrait of stroing leadership.