Taking on the Hawks

Essentials

• Teams: Atlanta Hawks (20-10) at Detroit Pistons (12-22)
  • Date: January 4, 2013
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FS Detroit Plus

What to look for

After flexing their muscles for three straight games at home and defeating Miami, Milwaukee and Sacramento in succession, the Detroit Pistons will look to avenge their December 26th double overtime loss against the Atlanta Hawks when they host them tonight.

During Detroit’s current three-game win streak, they have managed to keep their opponents under 100 points, despite surrendering some fairly big scoring performances from individual players.

This seems pertinent heading into tonight’s contest given that when the Pistons played in Atlanta last month, Josh Smith and Al Horford combined for an impressive 53 points, 20 rebounds and nine assists on 22-for-40 field goal shooting.

Granted, the Hawks big man tandem can be expected on occasion to have these types of nights, but what eventually doomed Lawrence Frank and his unit was his team’s inability to limit the other players for Atlanta.

Louis Williams, Jeff Teague and Anthony Morrow all had sensational games by their standards, and that ultimately did the Pistons in by night’s end.

Josh Smith and Al Horford will probably be very productive by virtue of the skills they possess that mesh perfectly with one another, but the Hawks’ perimeter guys aren’t necessarily the most talented crop of players at their respective positions in the league, and it will be important to ensure that this is reflected in the game tonight.

Everything the Hawks do revolve around Horford and Smith, thus it will be important to focus on them, but also to play the Atlanta guards with a little physicality given their apprehension for contact off the ball.

It’s worth noting that with the game being played in Detroit, and the Pistons in the midst of a win streak, the home team will probably come out with more energy as well as a healthy level of aggression whereas the road team might look to ride their stars, as most teams customarily do when playing away from home.

Read about the Hawks

Hawkshoop.

• Jan 4, 20136:17 pm
    by gmehl

I really hope our bench keeps up its hot run. Also has anyone heard/read about Rudy Gay rumours today??

• Jan 4, 20137:40 pm
    by rick

All I read was something in Hoopsworld and they mentioned every team in the midwest it seems except Detroit. The funny part is they(Memphis) talked about clearing space and anything those teams offer would seem like lateral moves unless can get say for instance Derrick Williams from Minnesota. They mentioned Milwaukee, Boston,Houston, and Toronto as teams with talent to entice such a deal. I really hope Joe D can get in on this and pick him up. I like him and Josh Smith, but if we looking for a match I think he would fit us better moving forward. Smith is a power forward and dont see him going back to small forward, not that I dont think he could do it. Just seems like he would stick to being a power forward,although that would make our frontline very imposing.

• Jan 4, 20138:12 pm
      by Daye and Knight (Team Redemption)

If Memphis is ok with Rudy Gay for Prince and _______(anyone but Drummond, Knight and Monroe) then lets get it done Joe D!

• Jan 4, 20137:54 pm
    by frankie d

pass to stuckey was the best fast break pass i’ve seen knight make.

• Jan 4, 20138:07 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Knight played a very GOOD floor general game in that first qrt… Best all season

• Jan 4, 20138:17 pm
    by Corey

second unit is so fun to watch- they actually run pick and roll. with shooters spreading the floor. It’s a realNBA offense… Unlike the first unit.

and the way Drummond controls the paint on D is awesome.

• Jan 4, 20138:17 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Ladys and Gentle… Austin Daye!!!

• Jan 4, 20138:33 pm
    by Venice

Well last game .theres someone who told me that Daye can’t be a starter and its better to trade him than make him a part of the future ?what now my friend ?I think he deserved it .

DAYE ON FIRE !

• Jan 4, 20138:39 pm
      by gmehl

Lets just wait and see if he can do it over a prolonged period before we anoint him the second coming of Kevin Durant. I am very happy for Daye but all shooters eventually go cold. I am more impressed with his rebounding and effort on defence since his re-inclusion into the rotation. CV has also impressed me in both those areas too.

• Jan 4, 20138:47 pm
        by Venice

I never really told anything that Daye can become Durant. I just think that theres some similarities with their skill set and all he needs to do for him to become  successful in with this team is to knockdown 3pt shots .If he can do that, I think we can use him in our starting unit next year.

• Jan 4, 20138:39 pm
    by vic

When Drummond is on the court with Daye, or his confidence high, Daye is actually a good player to have. I’d rather keep him than CV if it were possible.

• Jan 4, 20138:58 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Pistons are pressing the ball for the first time this consistent all year…. And we are getting turnovers…

We defend soo much better…when we don’t switch….

• Jan 4, 20139:31 pm

DUNK ON HIM DRE!!! thats how you get him back

• Jan 4, 20139:38 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Hawks playing our game with the 3 ball….

• Jan 4, 20139:41 pm
    by Prelove

how about brandon knight jacks up another 3 point brick?

• Jan 4, 20139:44 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Knight is as 41.5% 3 point shooter…those were good looks…you live with that…

Lou Williams has made to 3′s falling out of bounds, and Kyle Kover made one from the hash marks…it happens sometimes..

• Jan 4, 20139:42 pm
    by sebastian

I would offer Memphis Maggette, Tay, and the 2013 first round pick. This is a fair deal. It offers the Grizzs salary cap relief (Maggette’s $11 million dollar salary coming off the books July 1), veteran leadership from the “3″ (Tay) and a lottery pick (Pistons 2013 1st round pick).
    Now, all you folks who keep promoting your top five picks need to slow up. WE can go without a lottery pick, if WE can get OURselves a legit “3″. All you, who talk about Gay’s salary. Somebody is going to get paid and the Pistons would be smart to attempt to acquire a top 15 player in the League via trade, as oppose to the uncertainties of free agency.
    The Pistons would still have financial flexibility with the above moves: 1) Maxey’s expiring $5 million, 2) Daye’s expiring $3 million, 3) Will B.’s expiring $3 million, 4) Charlie V.’s , $8.5 million can be amnestied, and 5) Stuckey’s contract is only $4 million, next season and could possibly be resigned at about $5-7 for another three year deal, when this is done.
    Acquiring Rudy would not prevent the resigning of Moose, Knight, or Drummond.
    Also the Pistons can get more than their money’s worth from English, if they would put the kid on the floor. If English was able to get the minutes that Singler gets, I bet any amount of money that English would be more productive and would come at a cheaper price. The Pistons could really maximize value from English.
    This roster can bring back the fans
    PG- Knight/Stuckey/Will B.
    SG- English/Daye/Middleton
    SF- Rudy/Jerebko/Singler
    PF- Moose/Charlie V.
    C- Dre Drummond/Maxey/The Ukraine

• Jan 4, 20139:42 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

jason played Huge tonight… i will admit…great defense and he played tough

• Jan 4, 20139:47 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Turnover by Knight, but it was a foul….

I love that Knight is playing to keep the dribble alive..

• Jan 4, 20139:47 pm

Josh Smith NOT HAPPY!!!!

• Jan 4, 20139:50 pm

toes on the line!!!!!

• Jan 4, 20139:53 pm

seriously? a TO now?!?!

• Jan 4, 20139:54 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

teague fouled knight..held him at the last minute

• Jan 4, 20139:53 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

struggling for offense it would have been nice to have kept Daye in the game…my only knock of the coaching tonight

• Jan 4, 20139:55 pm

good foul by drummond

• Jan 4, 20139:55 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

DRUMMOND WITH THE BLOCK!!!!!!!!

• Jan 4, 20139:56 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

holy crap we have won 4 in a row!!!!!

• Jan 4, 20139:56 pm

How is it that Monroe can no longer hit half his FGs?

• Jan 4, 201310:01 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

he is rushing his shots… he could learn alot from Al Horford…. Greg needs to make players respect his Jumpers

• Jan 4, 20139:59 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

3 of the last 4 wins have been against teams with winning records…

We are officially a better team than last year!!!!

• Jan 4, 201310:02 pm
    by Venice

MY GOD I DIDN’T THINK THIS IS POSSIBLE ! PLAYOFFS HERE WE GO!

• Jan 4, 201310:03 pm
    by gmehl

I know a win is a win but those kind of games where we lead by double figures and then only just drag it out are killing me. Memo to Lawrence Frank…’i haven’t got any frigging finger nails left’.

On a bright note we are on a 4 game win streak which could be 7 with a little bit of luck.

• Jan 4, 201310:05 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

The Hawks were making some tough 3 pointers….

Im glad we won this game we deserved it

• Jan 4, 201310:08 pm
      by Chris N

I think that’s who the Pistons are this season.  They’re going to be in this kind of game for most of the season as they don’t have any one player that can just take over and get them going in the crunch.  Its good that they’re starting to win some of these close games though.

• Jan 4, 201310:05 pm
    by D_S_V

The Pistons are good! They’re so good! Forget the 7-20 start! Re-sign everyone! Contracts all around! With no trade clauses! Playoffs here we come! Watch out Heat!

• Jan 4, 201310:08 pm

Daye and only Daye….

• Jan 4, 201310:11 pm
      by Chris N

DSV…if you’re going to go for the sarcasm, you gotta use more CAPS and multiple exclamation points!!!!

• Jan 4, 201310:14 pm
        by D_S_V

Haha. Noted. Here’s a try:

THE FACT THAT WE STARTED 7-20 DOESN’T MATTER!!! THIS IS THE REAL PISTONS TEAM!!!

I even added italics that time!

• Jan 4, 201310:16 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

i havent forgot about the 0-8 and 7-20 start thats why I still Hate Frank…

• Jan 4, 201310:07 pm

Cousin had a beastly game…..30 & 20

• Jan 4, 201310:19 pm
      by gmehl

Yeah but it was against Toronto without Valanciunas but yes i get your point. The ONLY players they would take for him though is Monroe or Drummond. We can all agree that Cousins is marginally better that Monroe but his mental issues bring him back to or slightly below where Monroe is as a player IMHO. Cousins without the mental hangups for 1) wouldn’t be on the block 2) a perennial allstar

• Jan 4, 201310:14 pm