Starts flip the recent script and drastically out-perform bench in win over Milwaukee

Detroit Pistons 103 Final

Recap | Box Score

87 Milwaukee Bucks
Jason Maxiell, PF 27 MIN | 5-6 FG | 0-2 FT | 7 REB | 0 AST | 10 PTS | +14Maxiell had a typically solid game, particularly on defense. The defense of the starting five was as good as it has been all season tonight, and Maxiell’s toughness was a key part of that.
Tayshaun Prince, SF 28 MIN | 3-12 FG | 0-0 FT | 5 REB | 4 AST | 6 PTS | +20Prince was awful shooting the ball, but he did contribute in other ways — he rebounded, he set up teammates for decent shots and he played good perimeter defense.
Kyle Singler, SF 23 MIN | 3-5 FG | 3-3 FT | 4 REB | 3 AST | 10 PTS | +14Singler had a nice bounce-back performance after his recent struggles. He shot well, he did a little bit across his stat-line and he made a couple of nice defensive plays against Milwaukee’s lightning quick backcourt.
Greg Monroe, C 35 MIN | 11-19 FG | 4-8 FT | 11 REB | 2 AST | 26 PTS | +35Monroe was unstoppable inside, he was decisive and made quick moves, he rebounded well and — despite getting a lot of touches — he only turned it over once. Easily one of his best performances of the season.
Brandon Knight, PG 34 MIN | 7-16 FG | 3-3 FT | 4 REB | 5 AST | 20 PTS | +28Knight had a nice shooting game, but the measure with him, as always, is how much did he look like a competent point guard? There are no complaints about five assists with no turnovers as well as great defense on Brandon Jennings.
Charlie Villanueva, PF 18 MIN | 3-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 0 AST | 8 PTS | -7Villanueva hit a couple of threes during Detroit’s onslaught in the third quarter. He didn’t shoot that well, but he also didn’t play poorly.
Austin Daye, PF 20 MIN | 1-5 FG | 4-4 FT | 1 REB | 2 AST | 7 PTS | -4Like Villanueva, Daye didn’t shoot well. But he did contribute a bit on defense, coming up with two steals, and he got to the line four times.
Andre Drummond, C 17 MIN | 4-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 11 REB | 1 AST | 8 PTS | -10This wasn’t one of Drummond’s more crisp performances — he made a few mistakes on defense and also inexplicably was trying to dribble around the perimeter on one possession before the guards and coaches all screamed at him to give it up, and yet he still had 11 rebounds and four blocks in 17 minutes. He would’ve had a double-double had he converted a dunk late on a pass off the backboard from Villanueva.
Will Bynum, PG 14 MIN | 0-4 FG | 1-2 FT | 0 REB | 3 AST | 1 PTS | -12Bynum’s awful defense was a big part of Milwaukee’s second quarter run to take a lead. Bucks backup point guard Beno Udrih keyed that run by doing basically anything he wanted.
Rodney Stuckey, PG 22 MIN | 2-7 FG | 2-3 FT | 4 REB | 4 AST | 7 PTS | +7Stuckey was quiet in the first half and didn’t shoot well, but he did a nice job in other areas — particularly picking up two blocked, including a nice one on a Monta Ellis jumper as the third quarter came to an end.
Lawrence FrankThe Pistons had an early lead only to see it fall apart in the second quarter. The Bucks were rolling and Detroit couldn’t do anything to stop the momentum heading into halftime. So basically, it was a familiar occurrence for Pistons basketball this year. Until the third quarter. The Pistons out-scored the Bucks 33-11 in the third and played a good fourth quarter as well, so Frank certainly pushed the right buttons and deserves some of the praise for the Pistons picking up a nice road win over a team that, although inconsistent, has been solid this season.

• Jan 11, 201311:27 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

the decision to take the ball out of Prince hands and put it in Knight hands changed the flow of this game…

Knight made the offense look easy….. in the 2nd half….

Greg scored SOOO many different way, I have never seen an Array of offensive moves like I saw tonight with Greg, he is awkward, but some how his shots wall…

Drummond makes that dunk and he is on every Highlight show for the next week, and I dont mind he dribbling on the perimeter can he has the ability to do it…. Its just not his time yet…

I was very pleased with the future of this team tonight…

• Jan 12, 20136:27 am
      by Vic

Right, use two hands and you would have been in running for ROTY overnight.
      Seriously

• Jan 12, 20138:45 am
        by I HATE FRANK

True, it looks like he wasnt expecting it

• Jan 12, 20131:25 pm
        by James Jones

I love Drummond but I think ROTY is locked up by Lillard.  He’s playing better then 90% of the PGs in the league and he’s a rookie.

• Jan 11, 201311:29 pm
    by Vic

I love Knight being aggressive like that and playing his game. But to be honest there’s nothing he did that he couldn’t do playing shooting guard.

Imagine if he was a full time SG, that would be his job description every knight.

Attack when you get the ball and pass when your not open.

I think he’d flourish and he’s quick enough to defend on the perimeter. The only struggle would be bigger guards posting him up. But with Drummond behind him that risk would be small.

• Jan 11, 201311:34 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

AT SG.. the ball would come out of his hands… and in transition when he made some great decision, AT SG he would have just ran the floor and spotted up….

The Ball needs to be in Knights hand…..and also its great for his confidence

• Jan 11, 201311:34 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

The Ball needs to be in Knights hand…..and also its great for his confidence  ….

• Jan 12, 20136:38 am
      by Vic

What Sgs just run the floor and spot up?
      Michael Jordan?
      Dwayne Wade?
      James Harden?
      Monta Ellis?
      Kobe?
      Shabazz Muhammad?
      Ben Gordon?

• Jan 12, 20136:48 am
      by Vic

Knight would be better than OJ Mayo if not just as good, the free agent that everyone wants to overpay for

• Jan 12, 20138:50 am
        by I HATE FRANK

The SGs Coached by Lawrence Frank have you seen our offense this year?

in the game against Bobcats…When Knight moved over to SG… all he did was run to the Corner….Even when Bynum was off the ball they just run to the three point line and spot up….

• Jan 11, 201311:31 pm
    by James Jones

The only grade I would maybe argue with is Stuckey.  I’m not a Stuckey fan, but I liked that he came into lineup in the 4th and slowed the game down when the 2nd unit was jacking up shots with 18 secs still on the shot clock up 15 with 9:30 to go (cough cough Daye).

• Jan 11, 201311:34 pm
    by Raphael

Ahhh yes!  The grades! My favorite post game activity.  Good jobs on the grades Patrick.  I tpretty hey are pretty much spot on, but I don’t think I can ever sign off on Lawrence Frank getting an A.  Lol

• Jan 11, 201311:51 pm
    by Mark

I thought Drummond deserved an A, and Monroe and Knight both deserved A+’s.

Drummond with a double double (he makes that dunk 9.9x out of 10) and 4 blocks in 17 min and great paint protection. What more could he do in 17 min?

• Jan 12, 201312:12 am
    by Oracle

I’m sure you guys are aware of this, but the graphics for grades don’t show up on an iPhone mobile version of the site.

• Jan 12, 201312:51 am
      by brigs

the mobile version is horrible put it back to the regular one and u can see everything

• Jan 12, 201311:00 am
      by andyf

I can see the graphics on my mobile app but they are TINY.  Less than the size of the text.

• Jan 12, 201312:18 am
    by Javell

I love the way that my city detroit pistons are playing! We could of easily gave up on this game halftime when we was down by 8 halftime…. I give credit to laurence frank…. But like i said the pistons have an idenity the starters and bench are set! Only adjustment i would suggest is inserting drummond in the starting line up and maxille get put with second unit.. Also i believe we will make the PLAYOFFS! Yes PLAYOFFS!!! Draft dosent draw in free agents….. If players see the pistons competing in the playoffs we could sigh sombody good! And theres on 1 way to go for the pistons and thats UP ????????????????

• Jan 12, 201312:32 am
    by Brigs

bk7 moose and drummond all had pretty good games that helped us get a win over a pretty good team… Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, still don’t kno if moose and Drummond can compliment each other on offense tho

• Jan 12, 20131:07 am
    by Blocks By Dre

We’re probably no gonna get a big time free agent, but I did notice Dorell Wright was on the list of 2013 free agents. If we can’t get a big time player like J Smooth, Juice Man Mayo or Monta (one man fast break) Ellis, then I wouldn’t mind having Wright. He plays defense and can score inside and out. He’s set to be a free agent and wouldn’t be a bad signing if we could get him at a reasonable price. Best part is that he’s still young and can grow with Knight, Monroe and Dre!

• Jan 12, 20132:01 am
    by Mrshourite

Moose – very decisive tonight with the ball; made quick cuts to the hoop with aggression. Game had a nice fluidity which had been missing as of late.

B.Knight – Good game. Nice D on Jennings. Knight was a part of great ball movement in the 2nd half. Excellent game based off of recent performances, but I warn Piston fans not to get too geeked up about tonight. We still need a PG. Once or if he strings together a week or two of consistent play like this then maybe I’ll join the BK7 parade. Looking for him to get off tomorrow night against Utah’s depleted backcourt.

Drummond – He only got a B tonight? That goes to show you how our expectations of him have grown; maybe because this type of production seems to be the norm from Dre in spite of limited minutes. A near double double along with 4 blocks in 17 minutes! Unleash the Beast already!

Side note: Stuckey had 3 blocks!!!!!!

Great road win tonight! Good team effort. Excellent ball movement. Let’s take care of home court tomorrow night fellas.

• Jan 12, 20133:35 am
    by piston moribund

Bullwinkle always has good games against the Bucks.  Its good to see that he is not holding on to the ball in the predictable way at the elbow waiting for a cutter who never appears.  At least he was a bit more decisive which helped him get to the rim without another defender helping out when he hold the ball too long.  It also seemed to help when CV was one the court and Max was hitting his shots so the middle wasn’t clogged.  I bet the theme of the practices have been spacing.  He still can hit a jump shot or a free throw to save his life.  If he is going to be able to play along side Dre, he is going to have to hit the 15-20 ft jump shot.  Some(no wait…all) of those weren’t even close.  Its also fair to say that the Bucks played awful defense, especially when Gooden was in there.  He had Epke and Gooden defending him, not really a challenge.
    BK plays much better if he has the ball in his hands and doesn’t have to give it up every time down the court.  Seems to be much more engaged and looks for his shooters.
    Daye still sucks and looks indecisive.  Please trade him, oh please, oh please.
    The Bucks are a better team with Skiles.  Big mistake getting rid of him and now the inmates will be running the asylum.  Bad for them, good for us(not really).  Not much of a chance they will be making the playoffs even though they are now the eigth seed.  A pure jump shooting team.  That means we will need to leap Philly, and Toronto.  All that fun so Joe can keep his job and play the Heat in the first round.  Forgot about the first round pick we will have to give up.
    Question, why is Daye playing instead of JJ, shopping maybe??????  Please let it not be Gay.

• Jan 12, 20137:41 am
      by Vic

That’s scary that the only teams between Pistons and the playoffs are Milwaukee, Philly and Toronto, all teams that theyre better than ( by point differential).
      If they lose their draft pick that would be horrible.  I know earlier in the year I said they would make the playoffs easily, but now I don’t really want it to happen.

• Jan 12, 20137:46 am
        by Vic

Here’s hoping Landry Fields and Kyle Lowry really step it up for Toronto!

• Jan 12, 201311:32 am
        by Herman Neutic

If Detroit can make the playoffs with Drummond playing 20 min/per during the regular season, then so be it. Next year, with Drummond playing 35 min/per it will be like adding another first rounder, anyway.
        But if they should somehow make the playoffs, then definitely “Unleash the Beast!”

On the other hand, if the Pistons can’t make the playoffs with Drummond playing limited minutes, I’m fine  with that. Get a good pick and be contenders for years to come.

• Jan 12, 201311:28 am
      by Jodi Jezz

lol, Bullwinkle?!.

• Jan 12, 20136:34 am
    by Vic

BK always plays well against Brandon Jennings too, Bk gets amped up for personal matchups, that’s his mo

Nothing he couldn’t do at SG. Dwayne Wade, Mj, Harden, Kobe all have the ball in their hands plenty at SG. It’ll be his most efficient position, and he has the advantage that he is quick and he can catch and shoot 3s

• Jan 12, 20137:03 am
    by Ryank

I believe Monroe read your article about Drummond being the best player this year.  He was pissed about something last night.  A man on a mission.

I think you need to write an article that offends him before every game…you work up a player who’s been sleep walking through the season.

• Jan 12, 20138:22 am
    by Steve K

Will this draft really help them? Doesn’t appear to be very strong. Though, I admit it’s early.

• Jan 12, 201311:02 am
      by Reaction

Although it is early it does still have 2 quality sgs in ben mclemore and shabazz. Not to mention I feel like there is some hidden gold that is going to jump heavily on the draft board at the combine

• Jan 12, 201312:14 pm
      by Vic

There are no weak drafts, just weak drafters. I would explain, but someone’s else has already said it better than me: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/225467/No_Bad_Drafts_Just_Bad_Drafters

If you know how to draft, losing a 1st round pick is 100% failure.
      4 great shooting, high assist/low turnover or great defensive players that would fit perfectly on the 2013 Pistons on a cheap rookie contract:

Ben Mclemore-2
      Trey Burke-1
      Otto Porter-3
      Tony Mitchell- 4
      Victor Oladipo-2

Everybody except Ben Mclemore is probably 90% likely to be available when the Pistons draft, if they keep their pick.

If you don’t know how to draft then every draft is weak. For teams like OKC and San Antonio every draft is good.

• Jan 12, 201312:20 pm
        by Vic

And if your Cleveland the only good draft is if you get the #1 pick

• Jan 12, 20138:46 am
    by Ryank

CV’s rating is too high.  I watched his man score at will on him throughout the second half.  Oh-lay style defense needs to go away.  No player on this team should be excused for that.

• Jan 12, 201310:14 am
    by MIKEYDE248

I have to commend Frank on his half time adjustments.  In the second the Pistons were taking bad shot after bad shot.  Whenever a team goes on a scoring drought, I never understand why they just keep jacking up outside shots.  In the third almost every shot was in the paint.
    Only complaint is that with a 21 point lead with under 3 minutes to play there shouldn’t be any DNP’s.

• Jan 12, 201311:42 am
      by Herman Neutic

Was it the extended time off between games–that give the Pistons and Coach Frank an opportunity for quality practice time–that greatly improved the defense and spacing on offense?

• Jan 12, 201312:27 pm
        by Chris H

It could be.  People didn’t seem to notice that the pistons had a very compact schedule against very good teams for the first half of the season.  Our schedule is much weaker and more spaced out in the second half.  That being said I’m not quite sure I’d like them to make the playoffs.  I haven’t looked at the draft well enough to know if there is anyway that detroit can address their needs at the spots they would pick as the 7th or 8th seed.

• Jan 12, 201312:18 pm
    by Adam

I was there last night. Great game. Was easily one of the only Pistons fan in the building. Bucks fans all gave up just after halftime and I felt lucky to be around some pretty cool Bucks fans. We dominated from start to finish minus that Udrih run. BK torched Jennings all night and we made the Bucks look really bad. I was suprised at how much the Bucks fans love John Henson, pretty glad we got Big Dre and not Henson and I was quick to point out the talent difference.

• Jan 12, 201312:38 pm
    by Jayknowsball

What about Kim english getting to play

• Jan 12, 20132:47 pm
    by apa8ren9

Its never a bad thing for a young team to make the playoffs.  Even if they get swept, they will know how it feels to lose badly, how the refs will job them out of every call.   They will understand how they will have to fight through all of that elevated play, like when a team knows what you are going to run before you run it and you still have to make the play work.  That is the benefit of playing in the playoffs.  It also lets you know who is a prime time player and who isnt.  Playoffs are a necessary step to win a championship.  I dont think there has ever been an NBA team that hadnt make the playoffs in 3-4 years then all of a sudden won a championship.  As I recall thats something even OKC and Miami havent done.

• Jan 12, 20133:36 pm
    by RobbyNast

Has anyone come across any articles explaining why Jonas Jerebko has completely fallen out of the rotation and can’t even get garbage minutes?  I understand by watching his play earlier this season that his outside shot wasn’t falling but he always seemed to hustle hard and play good defense.  I believe he just signed a new deal coming into this season so I don’t understand how not playing him at all is justifying that.  He also was a fan favorite at the Palace, not that something like that should warrant minutes.  Just wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

• Jan 12, 20134:57 pm
    by Detroit P

I don’t want a good draft pick.  We have the core already let’s make the playoffs get these kids sOme prime time, and let them learn.  Plus we need free agents

• Jan 12, 20135:00 pm
    by Detroit P

Meaning no one wants to go to a poor squad, open up some guys eyes of at least try see a there. We have a pg, yah I still like him.  And dre and Greg can do the rest with solid free agent pick ups.  Still gotfaith in Joey D

• Jan 12, 20135:02 pm
    by Ahmed

Andre Drummond missed dunk

• Jan 14, 20133:54 pm
    by RobbyNast

I agree with @Detroit P.  It is important for this team to make a playoff push and get a taste of the post season.  Brandon Knight is in his first full year of NBA play (last year being shortened by the lockout) and needs to be given the proper chance to develop as a point guard.  I’m not saying he will be the next Russell Westbrook, but obviously OKC is doing well with a point guard that is an aggressive scorer.  Building around Knight, Monroe, and Drummond is the right move in my opinion.