Pistons trade Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye for Jose Calderon

The details are finalized. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:

Pistons sending Tayshaun Prince onto Memphis for Jose Calderon to complete 3-way deal with Toronto, sources tell Y!

Austin Daye will go to Memphis as part of package with Prince, sources tell Y! Sports. No draft picks.

No draft picks? Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Obviously, we’ll have much more analysis coming, but I’m very excited already.

Update: Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

Deal is official league approved

• Jan 30, 20136:26 pm
    by AJ

FINALLY!!! Calderon is a good veteran PG who can fill Tays spot as the teams “Vet.”Hopefully he doesn’t ask for too much money at the end of the season though!!!

• Jan 30, 20136:28 pm
    by stevilla

Is this true? hallelujah!!!

• Jan 30, 20136:29 pm
    by Vince

I assume we’re pushing Stuckey out of the rotation… I really hope we are. Maybe we can deal him at the deadline!!

• Jan 30, 20136:31 pm
    by Carl

Good move for the Pistons.  Allows us to see what Knight will look like at SG and Calderon’s contract expires.

• Jan 30, 20136:31 pm
    by Nickkey

Thanks for all the memories Tayshaun. The new era has arrived.

Wow how much are we are going to have to spend in the off season?

• Jan 30, 20136:33 pm
    by Hal

Calderon is going to work so well with Drummond. He is absolutely terrific at hitting big men as they slip to the basket, and Drummond will be able to protect Calderon’s terrible on ball defense.
    I think Detroit had the least-enjoyable-to-watch starting line-up in the league, (maybe Charlotte) with Calderon and especially if they move Drummond there, (they have to now, right? I mean, right) I think that’s an interesting starting five!

• Jan 30, 20136:33 pm
    by butterscotch

who will play the 3?

• Jan 30, 20136:35 pm
    by mixmasta

It is written! Here we go Detroit!!!

• Jan 30, 20136:35 pm
    by Jayknowsball

SingledSingled

• Jan 30, 20136:37 pm
    by Travis

Stuckey or Bynum has got to be moved soon, hopefully Stuckey. But wow! A trade!

• Jan 30, 20136:38 pm
    by haydzz

singler to his natural 3 spot

• Jan 30, 20137:19 pm
      by James Jones

Singler get’s pushed around by 6’3″ shooting guards, what do you think is going to happen when he has a 6’8″ SF to contend with.

• Jan 30, 20136:38 pm
    by Pete

Wow i was screaming on FB all day about how i thought Dumars should get fired. Now i take it all back…LOL. Now if he gets rid of Stuckey he will be king..LOL

• Jan 30, 20136:39 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

DING DONG THE PRINCE IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Knight Step up!!!!

• Jan 30, 20136:43 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

:tears: of Joy!

• Jan 30, 20137:39 pm
      by Anon

My exact reaction, I literally screeched like a little girl in excitement.

• Jan 30, 20136:44 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

:tears: of Joy!….

• Jan 30, 20136:47 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

almost makes you forget there a game tonight

• Jan 30, 20136:48 pm
    by Big Rick

WOW!!!!

• Jan 30, 20136:49 pm
    by Keith

I do hope we temper expectations here. This is ONE step in the right direction. We shed a contract we didn’t want and returned a rental player that start putting our offense back in the right direction. But there is still a LOT of work to be done. Joe was just handed even more money in Free Agency, and that should worry us a bit. We don’t know if Calderon will stay, and it is a sign that perhaps our highly drafted young PG won’t be our PG of the future.

On the other hand, this opens up the team to a lot more possibilities going forward. Monroe-Drummond is set. We are no longer committed to any specific player at any specific position on the wings. We are free to draft the best PG-SG-SF available, and can offer a better opportunity to quality players in FA.

• Jan 30, 20136:49 pm
    by sloppy joe

GREAT DEAL I HOPE IT GOES THROUGH!

• Jan 30, 20136:52 pm
      by mixmasta

It’s a done deal my friend.

• Jan 30, 20136:51 pm
    by bugsygod

So Joe gets a true pg, w/ an expiring contract.  Opens the SF for singler, until this summer.  Can we all say Joe is back?  I can not disagree w/ this trade one bit.  I mean who can say anything bad about this trade??  We will have a smallish backcourt in calderon and knight, but our Huge front line of Drummond and Monroe will help out and Drummond will erase mistakes.

Now if we can get Frank to start Drummond.

• Jan 30, 20136:51 pm
    by Big Rick

One of my Christmas wishes actually came true!

• Jan 30, 20136:51 pm
    by normcash7

Calderon gets an audition.  Prince is off the books.  Not thrilled about losing Daye.  Does it get Detroit into the playoffs?  That’s up to Danny Ainge.

• Jan 30, 20136:52 pm
    by Big Rick

One of my Christmas wishes actually came true! Haven’t been this excited about a Piston’s trade since we acquired SHEED.

• Jan 30, 20136:54 pm
    by darin

Love the trade. Not sure about playoffs but it frees up more cap space for sure.  :)

• Jan 30, 20137:14 pm
      by James Jones

That’s great, who signs?

• Jan 30, 20136:54 pm
    by normcash7

Good trade.

• Jan 30, 20136:54 pm
    by Piston Truth

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!! I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!

• Jan 30, 20136:58 pm
    by Al

Holly f*^%#%# balls!!! A trade from Joe D!!!! Gores did fly in last night to catch that massacre.. Wonder if that factored… Who cares tho WE MADE A TRADE!!!!

• Jan 30, 20137:00 pm
    by normcash7

I’m just happy for Gores.  I think Gores just keeps the money not spent on Prince and Gordon in his pocket. Too many empty seats.  I’d hate to see him lose money. I think the minimum team salary according to the labor agreement is in the high 40 millions.  For Gores sake I hope that is the team payroll next year.

Monroe, Drummond, Singler, Knight, Stuckey, CV, English, Middleton, Krav., our 2 picks in the 2013 draft, a few cheap vets to meet the min. payroll sounds good to me.

• Jan 30, 20137:01 pm
    by butterscotch

huh?

• Jan 30, 20137:03 pm
    by ryan

Initial thoughts. 1) Rudy Gay got the shit end of this trade. 2) When you’re dealing from weakness you can’t get much and we didn’t get much but we’re saving money at least. 3) Memphis did very well for themselves picking up Ed Davis as well. 4) I hope more Detroit trades are coming.

• Jan 30, 20137:06 pm
    by Mrshourite

Seems too good to be true.

• Jan 30, 20137:08 pm
    by Ben Fridsma

I hate this.  I will pack Dayes bags, but is tay really worth Jose?  I dont think so.  The only way i will be happy is if Big Ben is signed with this open spot.  Thats the only way i will be happy.

• Jan 30, 20137:09 pm
    by Jayknowsball

I personally love it…we needed to make a move especially after being blown out last night ….I hope it’s the first of many moves…Tay had his time but his time has passed he just doesn’t fit in with this young group anymore …and Austin daye never lived up to his full potential so he was always expendable

• Jan 30, 20137:13 pm
    by James Jones

Hum, not sure about this trade.  Jose is OK, but we still have no SG and now we really don’t have a SF.  For those who have dreams of Jose playing SG, think again.

Happy to see Austin go though, now if we can just ship Stuckey out I would be happy.

• Jan 30, 20137:19 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

dude 25 mil in cap space next year….

• Jan 30, 20137:22 pm
        by James Jones

I heard this story already, it’s called Ben Gorden and CV…

• Jan 30, 20137:17 pm
    by Mrshourite

Can’t understand any negativity concerning the trade. if Joe pulls this off it will put him on the road to redemption. Awesome deal for the Pistons!

• Jan 30, 20137:18 pm
    by DasMark

nobody has mentioned the best sub-plot here;

By Detroit trading for Calderon, it likely halts any trade talks between Toronto and Boston to trade them Kyle Lowry!

So, we get our pass-first PG while also giving the finger to Boston as we try and snatch the 8th seed from them.

• Jan 30, 20137:19 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

now just trade frank

• Jan 30, 20137:22 pm
      by mixmasta

For 2nd round draft pick? :)

• Jan 30, 20137:27 pm
        by gmehl

asking for too much ;-)

• Jan 30, 20137:27 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

for a water boy

• Jan 30, 20137:28 pm
          by James Jones

water boy might still be too much LOL

• Jan 30, 20137:48 pm

maybe for a clipboard?

• Jan 30, 20137:53 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

trade accepted ! Frank for a clipboard! lol

• Jan 30, 20137:24 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

All about clearing cap:  makin a move for J smoove!

• Jan 30, 20137:25 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Jonas is back and playing SF

• Jan 30, 20137:25 pm
    by Pratik

OMG OMG OMG JOnas JEREBKO is playing the 3 right now….so happy so happy

• Jan 30, 20137:25 pm
    by gmehl

Hey all i can say is i was very close to getting that trade right yesterday. I posted this after yesterday’s game:

I wonder if Joe read my post.

• Jan 30, 20137:25 pm
    by Mrshourite

“Details are finalized.” The deal isn’t finalized yet so don’t get too geeked just yet. kind of misleading.

• Jan 30, 20137:25 pm
    by Vic

Joy. A point guard to run it. Can’t wait to see how it works!

• Jan 30, 20137:28 pm
    by Eric

Pistons had round 18 million coming off the books, now  the will have around 27 million+ the opportunity to amnesty Charlie V if necessary.

Should be targeting Josh Smith, OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans, Paul Milsap, to name a few options.

Not to intriguing – might be better to go after a trade in the offseason.

• Jan 30, 20137:35 pm
      by James Jones

OJ Mayo or Evans would be awesome at the 2.

Not sure about SF, Smith maybe but might make more sense to trade or draft a 3 at this point.

• Jan 30, 20137:28 pm
    by Stuckey and Whoever

I like the trade because we get a solid much needed traditional point guard.  First, second Tay has played quite solid this year besides a recent slip, dude is one of the most underrated pistons period.  But it does open more time for JJ and seems like Kyle should fit in that spot well.  Unless we work in a 4 guard rotation, I think it should really be 3.  The three guard rotation wouldnt allow Stuckey to sit in the corner for 10min straight, the problem is Knight is going to have to do that as well with Jose running the point.  There is no room for Bynum on this team anymore, even though people want to see Stuckey go.  You put John Barry in the corner for your offense not Stuckey.  Don’t blame him sheeple

• Jan 30, 20137:29 pm
    by Mrshourite

If it goes down. It has potential. Calderon has the ability to make everyone better. Can’t wait!

• Jan 30, 20137:30 pm
    by Mrshourite

Waiting to see the press conference or get word that the DEAL is actually finalized. Be holding my breath til then. Lol

• Jan 30, 20137:32 pm
    by Mone

Hate that we lost Daye, but very glad to see Prince go.

• Jan 30, 20137:39 pm
    by frankie d

great trade, if only because we get rid of a guy who was a real impediment to the development of the young guys on the team.
    love calderon, though he is a rent a player.  the team will obviously have the best chance of signing him, if they want to keep him.
    it will be extremely interesting to see if they try to keep him or if he will just be salary cap room this off season.
    only bad part: getting rid of daye, essentially for nothing.  i know i am in a small minority, but i think he can plan and if given a shot in memphis – which is doubtful, because tay will be right there in memphis – he will make someone look really stupid for giving up on him.  daye’s handling is something we’ve seen too far often in detroit: beat the value of your young players down to nothing and then dump them for nothing.  same old sad song.  considering how they handled daye, dumping him for cap space was about as good as one could expect.
    great day because we wont have to see tay mope around anymore.
    memphis made out like bandits.
    they got rid of that ridiculous gay contract.
    they got a young guy in davis, who looks like he can play.
    they got a vet who can help with their playoff run.
    they got a young prospect in daye, who can turn into 4 million in cap space if they wish.
    memphis deserves an A+, and i could easily see them making a deep playoff run.
    detroit made out pretty well also, if only because they got rid of a guy who was a problem on their roster.
     too bad daye is not here to take advantage of tay’s absence.

• Jan 30, 20137:53 pm
      by James Jones

I’ve never seen anything from Daye that makes me think we will make anyone sorry for giving him up.

He can’t defend one on one, he’s a streaky shooter, can’t back in a PG and doesn’t rebound well for his size.  TBH he reminds me a lot of Delfino in a larger body, could probably avg 10 with 25+ minutes.

I honestly don’t think he’s TP part 2, but we’ll see, maybe he’ll improve with a better coach.

• Jan 30, 20139:19 pm
        by frankie d

unhh…yea…he reminds me of a larger delfino, also.
        delfino, a solid rotation player on a good houston team who is averaging 11 points in 25 minutes of play with a solid PER and offensive/defensive rating.
        no one claimed he was a worldbeater, but the guy was a first round draft choice and this fan is simply tired of seeing the team beat down the value of their first round draft choices and then dumping them for nothing.
        that is essentially what happened here.
        that is essentially what happened with delfino.
        i’m ecstatic that they traded tay and opened up space for some of their young players.  and i’ve been a calderon fan for years.  he is one of the best pick and roll guards in the league and he will work magic with drummond.  it will be lots…lots of fun to see him work with drummond.
        but in true dumars fashion there is always a catch.
        i’d always thought that tay’s absence would mean that daye would finally get a legitimate shot at PT.
        obviously a couple of things happened.
        memphis wanted daye.  despite the problems detroit fans had with daye, other teams around the league had interest in him.
        it doesn’t take a genius to see that frank has very little use for daye and no matter what he did, he would never have a secure spot in the rotation.  frank is going nowhere for the next year and a half.  considering that fact, daye had no real value to the team.
        but like i always say about sports, we will see how things turn out.
        maybe i am totally wrong about daye and he’ll either be out of the league in 2 years and playing in the d league.
        or maybe i’m right and he’ll be, at the very least, a delfino like rotation player who helps a good team win.
        and detroit will have dumped another young nba player and gotten nothing in return.
        we shall see…

• Jan 30, 20139:21 pm
        by frankie d

by the way, daye has always been one of the better rebounders on detroit teams over the last few years.  just take a look at his advanced rebounding numbers.  they have been consistently good.   better than most of the big guys’ numbers.

• Jan 30, 20137:43 pm

Wow, I can’t believe Dumars did something right.