Pistons continue old trend of blowing leads, but continue new trend of still winning

On Tuesday against the Kings, the Pistons did something that has been fairly common this season — they built a large lead only to see it shrink in the second half. But for the second straight game, the Pistons didn’t completely fall apart in that scenario and held on to beat Sacramento.

Contributions from the effective bench unit of Will Bynum, Charlie Villanueva, Austin Daye and Andre Drummond once again helped key the team, and the emergence of those players — Bynum, Villanueva and Daye, in particular — as legitimate, key rotation players continues to be so big a surprise that ‘surprise’ really isn’t an adequate descriptor for it. The Pistons have now won three straight games, they are 3-0 on their current homestand and, shockingly, are not even that far out of playoff contention despite their abysmal start to the season.

Sacramento Kings 97 Final

Recap | Box Score

103 Detroit Pistons
Jason Maxiell, PF 25 MIN | 3-6 FG | 1-2 FT | 5 REB | 0 AST | 7 PTS | -14Four turnovers for a guy who doesn’t really have plays called for him is, obviously, bad. Other than that, Maxiell was serviceable, but the was still the fourth best big the Pistons put on the court in this game and he played the second most minutes.
Tayshaun Prince, SF 35 MIN | 5-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 6 REB | 3 AST | 10 PTS | -2Prince continues to do a little bit of everything, settling in as a role player but also still occasionally knowing when to go into iso mode and get a good shot for himself. Because the team has been so bad, Prince’s play gets overlooked a bit, but he’s had a really nice season, particularly because not many people thought he’d willingly accept a reduced role in the offense on a young team.
Kyle Singler, SF 33 MIN | 2-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 2 AST | 4 PTS | +1Singler didn’t do much offensively in this game, but he and really all of Detroit’s perimeter defenders played good defense on Sacramento’s guards. Singler’s length helped contest jumpers and he and Detroit’s other guards also did a nice job forcing turnovers.
Greg Monroe, C 38 MIN | 6-13 FG | 6-8 FT | 11 REB | 3 AST | 18 PTS | +4DeMarcus Cousins had a big game, but Monroe was nearly as effective. Monroe did have four turnovers, an issue that continues to plague him, but he worked hard defensively and even blocked two shots.
Brandon Knight, PG 35 MIN | 8-13 FG | 2-3 FT | 2 REB | 4 AST | 20 PTS | +5Knight had his first 20-point game in more than two weeks. He didn’t pick up an overwhelming number of assists, but he only turned it over twice and his defense was good.
Charlie Villanueva, PF 11 MIN | 3-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 1 AST | 9 PTS | +10Villanueva’s a specialist and nothing more at this point for the Pistons. So, even if he did little else, knocking down three of five 3-point attempts qualifies as a very good game for him.
Austin Daye, PF 21 MIN | 5-10 FG | 1-1 FT | 2 REB | 2 AST | 13 PTS | +15Daye’s play has been incredibly encouraging. He’s always looked like a NBA player — he’s big, athletic, moves well, handles the ball decently for his size and, most importantly, his shot is fluid and natural. He just needed the ball to start going in for him. It took a long time for that to start happening again regularly, but now that it is, it is once again easy to see him as a decent prospect as long as he continues to make shots.
Andre Drummond, C 21 MIN | 3-6 FG | 1-2 FT | 11 REB | 0 AST | 7 PTS | +11Just another ho-hum 11 rebound/three block game for Drummond in very limited minutes. His presence, even with the few mistakes (and seriously … those mistakes are rapidly decreasing), just simply makes the Pistons a much different team. Tonight, with Maxiell not playing well, Drummond really should’ve played more. Fortunately, it wasn’t a decision that cost Detroit the game.
Will Bynum, PG 21 MIN | 4-9 FG | 6-6 FT | 2 REB | 4 AST | 15 PTS | 0Bynum followed up two amazing performances by being not very good against the Bucks on Saturday. Tonight, he showed that his resurgence as an instant offense playmaker might not have run its course just yet. Lawrence Frank has stumbled onto something really working well with his second unit — Bynum surrounded by a couple guys who can shoot, a guy who can finish and all guys who can run actually kind of works. It’s probably not something that can be counted on for great production every game, but for the first time this season, the Pistons are regularly playing a lineup of guys whose skills seem to mesh well together rather than get in each other’s way.
Lawrence FrankThe Drummond thing isn’t going away — he absolutely should’ve played more tonight and Maxiell absolutely should’ve played less. But the team has certainly improved in some respects over the last week or two, and Frank’s grades will be higher accordingly. The team did a nice job defensively against Sacramento’s guards and, though Cousins was good, he wasn’t so dominant that the Pistons couldn’t overcome his performance. The team looks more competent of late, and Frank gets some of the credit for that.

• Jan 1, 201310:40 pm
    by Travis

Not to mention franks defense on inbounding plays. Good win tonight. I don’t think Charlie should have been rejected. Bet the nba reduces it to flag 1

• Jan 1, 201310:46 pm
    by menten

i cant believe he went with suckxiell at the end instead out drum, what is he thinking

• Jan 1, 201310:49 pm
    by Vince

Great game! Impressed by the Villanueva-Daye combo, Bynum and Dre putting in work and a solid performance by Prince, Monroe and Knight.

One thing annoyed me during the game though (more so than English being glued to the bench). Jonas Jerebko. Are we meant to believe that he can’t even get minutes when Villanueva gets ejected from the game with a half left? Not even 6 minutes? Blaha pointed it out late in the third that ‘Surely JJ will see the floor with Detroit down a big’. Think again.

I like JJ, I really do, I think he has a lot to contribute to this team but I’m disappointed in how he has not seen the floor in what? Ten games? I get the resurgence of Daye and Charlie will limit his minutes even more, but I still think he could get solid minutes with the second unit. I’m also worried about his attitude towards the team, when Daye nailed that 3 with 32 seconds left in the fourth and sealed the game, everyone on the bench jumped up and were ecstatic, everyone but JJ. For a guy who has been a good player in his tenure with Detroit and reflected toughness and hustle and was a very serviceable player, I’m disappointed at how he has been treated by the organization.

• Jan 1, 201310:55 pm
      by Mone

I really don’t see the appeal in JJ.. He is not really good at anything, other than hustle.. I much rather prefer Daye to get more minutes than to share his minutes with JJ..

• Jan 1, 201311:29 pm
      by Tyrone

JJ must have really done something to land in the dog house…  I like his heart and hustle a lot, but Daye has been very productive with this playing time as of late.  Lets just hope AD keeps it going.

I also give coach Frank credit for not playing Maggette.  I like him as a person, but Corey’s feature is being ready in case of key injuries or preparing for the coaching ranks.

• Jan 2, 20131:19 am
        by Mark

More like JJ did nothing, and thats why he’s out of the rotation. I’m starting to think he migh be traded this year. The bench is putting up all-time great scoring games, so what do they really need him for? Sure he’s a solid reserve, but if they can get something for him, it seems logical.

• Jan 2, 20138:17 am
      by Derek

I like JJ.  I like what he gave in his rookie season, lots and lots of heart and hustle.  He reminded me of a player who figured the only way he could get on the floor was to get on the floor literally diving for loose balls and playing physical on both sides.

This year we got a player who reportedly worked hard on his game and expected to be a real stand out, but when his shot deserted him he seemed to lose all the passion to play gritty.  We stopped getting positive minutes out of him, so he stopped getting time.

I’m disappointed that he’s sulking on the bench.  It is understandable to want to play, but he’s got to wait his turn like the guys who are playing now.  Daye road the bench hard like a cowboy.  And responded well when his time to play came.

Time for JJ to suck it up.  His time on the bench is because he sucked it up royally on the on the court.  Wait.  Prepare. Be ready.

• Jan 1, 201311:00 pm
    by Lorenzo

I don’t mean to nit-pick but ‘Daye’ and ‘athletic’ used in the same sentence is rather shocking…

• Jan 1, 201311:06 pm
    by Brigs

my belief that we were only one move away from being a solid team is finally starting to look right. If we can use that cap space to pick up oj mayo and make a trade for a small forward with 3pt range to take over for prince then we will be able to spread the floor for monroe to score inside while Drummond takes care of the boards and we will not only be makin the playoffs but contending for championships

• Jan 1, 201311:15 pm
      by Venice

No need to look for our SF .If Daye can continue to play with this level,we already found our solution in SF

• Jan 1, 201311:18 pm
        by Mone

I agree… He’s shooting almost 70% from the 3pt line this season.. I always considered him the best shooter on the Pistons… Also, he can handle the ball and rebound quite well…

• Jan 1, 201311:31 pm
          by Venice

I really hope he can continue this. I really consider him as a Durant lite.

• Jan 2, 201312:28 am
            by jkg1610

Me 2 but daye is solid 6″11 durant 6″9

• Jan 2, 20131:54 am
            by omar

Lets not get carried away, daye is a below average nba player. He has proven that over the last four years.

• Jan 2, 20134:00 pm
            by James Jones

@omar amen

These homers can be something else.  Definitely have short term memories.

• Jan 2, 201312:00 am
        by Brigs

I hope u guys are right since we could resign for cheap but I just don’t see him bein able to keep this up plus he cant play good defense against backups wat do u think would happen against guys like Danny granger and Rudy gay, not to mention Lebron or durant

• Jan 2, 20131:29 am
          by Venice

Well I hope he can gain more weight and let Kander make a training program to work with his lateral quickness. Teams will also think twice when attacking the Tim because AD1 is there roaming.

• Jan 2, 20131:30 am
            by Venice

*rim not Tim .fcking auocorrect

• Jan 2, 20138:22 am
        by Derek

Um…no.  Daye is not the solution going forward.  He’s just the dude with his finger in the dam plugging a leak.  We need an upgrade, Daye is not that upgrade.  He has not shown anything different.  He hasn’t developed beyond what he came in the league doing.

Daye can shoot (sometimes).  He has form.  He has a soft touch.  He has a soft mental side.  When he’s off, he has little to no value.

I like what he’s doing for us now.  I wish him the best as he makes his way to his next basketball destination next season.  New NBA team?  Return to Russia?  Games at the Y?  Back in Detroit…no.

• Jan 2, 20138:48 am
          by Venice

I think he would fit perfectly with our roster.If we can get a good distributor PG at the offseason and a terrific slashing SG, along Moose and AD1 at the post. All he need to do is catch and shoot the ball. The skill that he’s good at. Ofcourse he need to continue making those shots if he need to be included in the future line up. If he’s good at knocking those shots why not resign him? Am I wrong guys?

• Jan 2, 201311:27 am
            by Derek

@Venice I get your point.  Daye has done well over the last few games.  Sadly over the last few years he hasn’t proven himself as a starter, so I would hate to see him resigned as replacement for Prince.

He has proven himself to be so mentally fragile that he went it to a slump when Prince was resigned.  I would hope the heir apparent to the starting 3 would take up the challenge and prove himself.  Daye’s game went totally into the toilet.

He has talent as a catch and shoot player.  The problem is, he seems to be limited to only catching and shooting.  What happens when a few of those open 3′s don’t go in?

I’m just not sold on Daye, but I am happy that he has been productive for the Pistons.
            I’m just not happy enough to want him on the team beyond this season.

• Jan 3, 20136:21 am
            by Derek

I just read an article about Daye.  Beyond the struggle of coming to grips with the Tayshaun Prince resigning, his mom was really sick.  Out of respect for the dude I’ll withdraw my assertion that he is mentally weak.

I truthfully would like to see the kid succeed and I’d like to see the Pistons benefit from his success.  I’m just FRUSTRATED with what he has shown thus far.  I hope this recent turn toward productivity is a real turning point in his career.

• Jan 1, 201311:20 pm
    by Jay

Why wasn’t Thomas given a T for going at charlie V but pistons athletic trainer was for trying to help an injured player???

• Jan 1, 201311:40 pm
    by Tyrone

Good win tonight,

It was good to see BK7, Moose, Tay have good games, but the second unit has been playing very good as of late. Drummond, Will the thrill, CV31, and AD all played very good tonight.  I dont think that CV31 should have been ejected, it was a good hard “Bad Boys” foul and sent a message to the kings, IMO that there will be no easy buckets in the lane.

Also I say that was pay back from earlier in the season when the Kings Robinson tried to take JJ’s head off… Keep playing hard CV31 and continue to stay humble.  JJ should be giving CV31 a few dollars to help cover the fine coming from the league.

• Jan 1, 201311:56 pm
    by Passion not Energy

This is a fiesty group as of late, glad to see Charlie V giving Isaiah Thomas a love tap,not enough passion in the game today. LF seems to be getting better lately with his rotations, love the way he sat Knight in favor of Bynum the other night.  No matter who you are you are going to sit if you dont play with passion and anger.

• Jan 2, 201312:00 am
    by Venice

I think we have a chance for post season. I’ll take the first round exit than another lottery pick. Playoffs will bring back the fans at the palace and the winning attitude that we severly lack this past seasons.

• Jan 2, 20131:03 pm
      by Reaction

I for sure as hell wouldn’t. Do you want to get stuck in the eternal pit of 1st round exits with nothing to show for it? Cause that’s what you would be doing.

• Jan 2, 201312:07 am
    by Daye and Knight (Team Redemption)

Way to redeem yourselves Team Redemption! I’m glad we’re winning but at the same time I want to see us get Shabazz so…you can see the dilemma I’m dealing with here

• Jan 2, 20137:16 am
      by Herman Neutic

Daye and Knight, I’m dealing with the same dilemma. I think if the Pistons have enough going for them this season to get to the playoffs with Drummond playing 20 minutes per game and everyone playing within themselves, so be it. Next year, with Drummond having more experience and his playing time going up to 30-plus, it will be like getting another high draft pick. However, if Detroit has to rush Drummond’s development in order to get to the playoffs, I’d just as soon they didn’t and instead get that additional lottery pick (Shabazz or whoever). The idea, as I see, is to be able to have enough talent to contend for a championship for many years to come, and not just attain a first round exit this year.

• Jan 2, 201312:11 am
    by Jodi Jezz

lol, Singler had 4 points in 33 minutes…That guy is a bum!..

• Jan 2, 20132:08 pm
      by sebastian

Jodi Jezz, I’m with you, man. This guy (Singler) is gobbling up all these minutes and English and Jerebko can’t even see the floor.
      Again, I say, Singler is an 8th or 9th man on this roster.

• Jan 2, 201312:26 am
    by jkg1610

Were are the brandon knight haters at now? Fuck having a pure pg! The leaguel have changed! Teams like chicago,okc, has scoring pgs and do just fine! Im not saying knight is on drose or westbrook level! But give it to him hes good when he attack! And the team is better

• Jan 2, 20133:12 am
      by MrHappyMushroom

I’m not really one of the haters.  But this was the first time in 9 games that he’s shot over 40% and over that time he’s produced an anemic 34 assists and 25 turnovers.  He’d been pretty awful over the last few weeks.

• Jan 2, 20131:06 pm
        by Reaction

Not to mention all those players that that Jkg mentioned can pass the ball pretty well. Knight has barely to no court vision it seems. I’m not a Knight hater just stating the facts.

• Jan 2, 20136:33 am
      by Mrshourite

Not a Knight hater either. Just a fan of the sport and a fan of the Pistons. Knight had a good game last Knight but did you notice that he played off the ball down the stretch and either Tay or Bynum brought the ball up court to set up the offense. I never said Knight was a bum and I think he has potential to be a very nice 2-way player, but I maintain that he is not a pg, he is better attacking and looking to score. In order for our team to reach its maximum potential with our young bigs we do need a PG capable of running an offense that you can trust down the stretch to make the right play. Not saying that Knight can’t develop into that but it is what it is. He doesn’t provide that now.

• Jan 2, 201310:44 am
      by apa8ren9

@jkg1610 – Not a Knight hater, but critical of his play.  You do need a point guard that can adequately run a 3 on 1 or 4 on 1 fast break.  For some reason knight doesnt do that very well.  We expect him, fairly or not, to be a bit more consistent game to game.  His development perhaps would be enhanced or not as noticeable if you had some pg help to smooth his rough stretchs.  Bynum is providing some of that but he is what he is.  We all know the magic will run out soon, Im enjoying it while it lasts, but we are banking our future on Knight and I want him to be a complete legit point guard that can do both.

• Jan 2, 201311:32 am
      by Derek

Knight Fan here!  I’m glad to see the kid work hard and power his way through bad games and injuries.  This more than I can say for some of our other guys who miss a few chippies and check out for the rest of the season.

There’s no shame in Knight playing off the ball and giving the team scoring it sorely misses.  Baron Davis and Gary Payton are just a few successful pgs who started off playing with another pg off the ball.  They got it.  Knight will get it.

The kid’s defense has been up and down but he’s been making strides and figuring it out against some of the better talent in the league.

BK7 will begin trending in the right direction.

• Jan 2, 20134:14 pm
      by James Jones

I’m not a Knight hatter, in fact I think Knight will eventually be servicable but you can’t dismiss that value of a “real” PG.  Unless you have LBJ or Kobe on your team you still need a true PG.

Look that where the Bull’s are at without Rose.  How good do you think the Thunder are without Westbrook?  I don’t even need to bring up CP3 or Parker.  The top 4 teams from the west and top 3 in the east all have decent PGs (miami being the exception).

You need a PG that can run the offense and get at least a 2.0 on A/TO ratio.  Without that this team will stay mediocre.

• Jan 2, 20134:17 pm
      by James Jones

Those “scoring” PGs you listed all avg over 8 asts a game…

• Jan 2, 201312:49 am
    by George

We will have to agree to disagree on Daye being athletic.

• Jan 2, 20131:47 am
    by smellman

Let’s not get carried away with Daye again, he’s had so many chances already! Lets get a larger sample size before we start saying how good a player and prospect he is

• Jan 2, 20131:53 am
    by frankie d

for a guy who is almost seven feet tall, daye has good athleticism.
    how many seven footers can do the kinds of things he can do with a basketball in his hands?
    that kind of dexterity and skill indicates a certain kind of and amount of athleticism
    people used to say that larry bird was not athletic.
    what a joke!
    the guy was almost 6’11″, with the eye/hand coordination of a guard and before he injured his back, exceptional quickness and flexibility for a guy as big as he was.  (on those old celtics teams, he was just a shade shorter than parrish and he was a bigger man, though maybe not quite as tall, as mchale.)
    yea, if you compare bird to a 6’5″ shooting guard he’s not that athletic.  but if you compared him to a typical player of his size, he was pretty extraordinary.
    if you compare daye to  bynum, or a freak like drummond, he is not that athletic, but compared to most guys his size, he has decent athleticism.

• Jan 2, 20132:13 am
    by Passion not Energy

Still would like to see Daye perform more consitently before I would compare him with Larry ledgend.

• Jan 2, 20132:16 am
    by Passion not Energy

legend *

• Jan 2, 20132:29 pm
      by Frankie d

I certainly wasn’t comparing bird and daye as players.
      i was noting that fans often apply odd and flawed concepts of “athleticism” when they talk about BB players.
      and Bird is the all-time best example of the type of cramped definition of athleticism that fans often apply.
      Bird certainly was not as athletic as Dr. J or Dominique Wilkins, just as daye cannot claim to be as athletic as Andre iguadola or Lebron.   But bird, larger or nearly as large as the centers he played with, played small forward 30 years ago.   A bad athlete wouldnt survive a year, let alone dominate for a decade.  and Daye’s ability to play on the perimeter and exhibit skills most often associated with players a half foot shorter while still rebounding and blocking shots at a good rate clearly indicates that he is a good athlete.  An NBA Ichabod Crane would not be capable of playing in that fashion.
      i have to say that I have never completely understood the way many pistons’ fans have sought to denigrate daye and either minimize or ignore his talents and skills.  IMHO, daye has been horribly misused by the pistons organization, in a way that fans should be well familiar with by now.   It amazes me that fans tend to ignore and minimize that fact, while turning their hostility onto daye.
      Plenty of other young players have been similarly and poorly served.  And a few – knight, singler, stuckey – have been given a role so secure that  they have each gone through far worse slumps than daye suffered, which led to his benchings over the last two years.
      is daye Lebron or Kevin Durant?   Obviously he is not.  But the idea that he has not shown certain abilities and skills during both his college and pro careers is ridiculous.  He’s always been a good rebounder, he has excellent ball skills for a guy his size, and he’s always been a good shooter, as evidenced by a 42% Mark from 3 point land in college and one NBA season where he shot over 41% on around 170 attempts.   The idea that all those numbers represent too small a sample size or a fluke is a curious argument.
      The question with daye has always been his head, his maturity, his confidence.  Unfortunately the pistons have done their very best to trash his confidence by the way they have handled him.  I have to say that I am happy for a guy who seems like a good kid, a guy who just needs a bit of nurturing to be a unique and productive player in the NBA.  Somehow, someway, he seems to have found the confidence he’d lost and I just hope he keeps it and that pistons’ fans are the beneficiaries of his talents.  And that he doesn’t end up being grouped with the likes of afflalo and Amir and delfino and others.

• Jan 2, 20136:42 am
    by Mrshourite

I love to reemergence and resurgence of Daye and Charlie V! What I like more so than the scoring punch provided is the actual effort on the boards and defense they both have been providing. Against Atlanta our starting front court of Moose (hate that nickname) and Max were torched by Horford and Smith. Charlie V. played physical and actually contested shots. Love it! Austin Daye is nice on the glass and he’s shown hustle in contesting shots also. We just can’t catch a break with the whistles tho. Nice all around effort by thosevguys. Just pointing out other areas of the game that they’ve been contributing to because we all know that jumper won’t be falling on some nights, and once that shooting slump occurs by the bench I wonder how long it’ll be before we’re calling for their heads again. We shall see. Keep up the good work though BENCH BRIGADE!

• Jan 2, 20136:46 am
    by Mrshourite

Drummond never fails to amaze me. He impacts the game positively every time he steps on the court; even in limited minutes! I don’t know how Monroe got struck with “Moose” for a nickname. But my bid for Drummond’s nickname is “Awesome Dre”. Any old school Detroit fans remember the local rapper from back in the day? LOL

• Jan 2, 20137:05 am
    by Vic

A win is a win, let the at least 500 ball begin.

I guess we found our Dwight Howard that makes stretch 4s productive. Andre Drummond is more than even I thought he was, and I was the one promoting him hard predraft and catching hate from statheads for wanting him on the Pistons

• Jan 2, 20137:37 am
    by Pete Cooney

Just a thought: If Singler was good defensively, doesn’t he deserve a C at least? D’s are for people who didn’t put in effort or play well. A bad shooting night with good D deserves a C.

• Jan 2, 20139:17 am
    by Big Rick

Last night’s game just goes to show you that the Pistons can’t even get calls at home. To be at a disadvantage to the refs against Miami is one thing, but to loose the officiating battle to the Kings…at home… is ridiculous! Charlie should not have been ejected for simply a hard foul. The NBA has been on the rampage of hammering hard fouls as of late but any time the officiating draws the ire of George Blaha and Gregory Kelser (2 of the most professional and unbiased commentators in all sports) there is a serious problem. On another note, how bout that flopping? The problem was and still is that the refs can’t distinguish if it is a flop or not during the game hence the dilemma; so they have to review game tape afterwards and come up with a ruling, or fine to the offending player. Meanwhile the outcome of the game is decided sometimes by a missed call due to someone flopping, kicking, or throwing their body unnaturally into the defender to get the foul. BOGUS!!!

• Jan 2, 201310:10 am
      by Tyrone

• Jan 2, 20139:19 am
    by Ozzie-Moto

Daye and player development:    Daye like so many other players in the past 6 years have had the raw talent to become good NBA players but have been stymied in part by the way Detroit has handled there rookies and younger players.  After trading CB and clearly needed to retool Detroit hung on to the deluded notion that it was competing for more than just making the playoffs. In reality that was rare and in no way did we have the talent to get out of the first round if they did. In the process they extended contract of over priced vets and traded talent that they failed to fully develop. Take a look at Arron Afflalo’s numbers on any night and you see a very good 2 guard that we so desperately need. I can go threw the list, I am not claiming that they be super stars but we could have a lot more value for each player if we had kept or traded them. Players need to be not just trained as NBA players but “BACKED” as NBA players. How you present your younger players to the league makes a big difference to them, and the respect of other players and even the refs. We don’t really know how to back our younger plays (why a bunch blossomed after we traded them). Daye is a perfect example. I am sure if he been handled differently he have shown he could handle it, glad he is getting a chance before we gave him away ( not say he should or should not be on our team). But as usual more to it than meets the eye.

• Jan 2, 20139:32 am
      by Venice

Well said Ozzo.

• Jan 2, 201310:11 am
      by mixmasta

So, you’re saying Dumars made the right picks? :)

I quite agree with this but somehow this is because of having different coaches in short terms. If we had a stable coaching staff, like SAS or UTA (Sloan Era), our player development would be better. :)

• Jan 2, 201310:38 am
        by vic

yeah I think the real “player development” problem is the coaches. Lawrence is good at developing players though

• Jan 2, 201311:14 am
        by Ozzie-Moto

Yea but who picked the coaches ?  ….This comes from JD down. The last 3 coaches have all be company men (meaning that they followed the play the vets, we are still competitive angle and not rebuilding. If your in denial about what your team and talent is then you put pressure on coaches to win when you should be developing a BALANCED team and younger players instead of placating vets. covering you back side on contract extensions (Max and Tay) and being stubborn about your old school ways.

• Jan 2, 201311:16 am
          by Ozzie-Moto

PS: his picks the last 3-4 years have been OK  mostly consciences players that feel to him in the first round. Though not sure about knight as a point. But the problems has been in Free agency and trades and not keeping a BALANCED roster so he get hosed or creates a team where half the players are playing out of position half that time

• Jan 2, 20132:04 pm
          by vic

Joe’s big blind spot is the need for a true pg.
          His other big blind spot is the need for coaches with strong personalities and championship pedigrees.

With what happened with Larry Brown, and how Larry Brown underdeveloped Joe’s Draftees… I don’t blame him.
          I do blame him for the combo guard infatuation. Its insane.

But who knows, maybe Joe has it all down. Maybe he’s hiring system coaches and teaching coaches while restocking his talent base, then when they are ready he will hire a real bossy championship level coach or Bill Laimbeer.

• Jan 2, 20139:52 am
    by pistonsPoland DEL

According to ESPN Pistons have now 39% to make playoffs!! GO Pistons, great win

• Jan 2, 20131:21 pm
    by bugsygod

Got my question answered by chad ford on espn chat:

steve (Michigan)

With the way Drummond is playing, dispelling the work ethic issues, can he be better than A. Davis? Seems with his size and athletic ability the D. Howard comparisons are spot on.
    Chad Ford
      (1:18 PM)

Howard was his comp last year. Coming into last season he was the only player scouts thought could knock Anthony Davis off the No. 1 pick spot. He didn’t really play up to it at UConn … but after watching him for half of season in Detroit — it is looking like the right comp. If he is going to keep up this learning curve and play hard all of the time, he has a chance to be better than Davis because he has more physical tools. And … Drummond has now passed Davis as the rookie with the highest PER in the league.

• Jan 2, 20132:07 pm
      by vic

thanks to Frank for gradually unleashing the Brahma Bull… very slowly. Maybe theres still hope for ROY

• Jan 2, 20138:53 pm
        by James Jones

Without some crazy play from AD, I mean like double of what he does now I don’t see him winning ROY.

Lillard has been playing up a storm and has a 30 game head start.

• Jan 2, 20132:08 pm
    by vic

more good news:
    Vince ellis says the Pistons like Tony Mitchell (who could be the Drummond of this year’s draft…)
    Depending on the scout, UCLA small forward Shabazz Muhammad, Indiana center Cody Zeller or Kentucky center Nerlens Noel could go No. 1. Or a player could come out of nowhere. The Pistons like North Texas power forward Tony Mitchell and UNLV power forward Anthony Bennett, but there are still questions about their readiness for the pros.
    Contact Vince Ellis: 313-222-6479 or vellis@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter@vincent_ellis56.

• Jan 2, 20132:09 pm
    by bugsygod

9. Brandon Knight, Pistons
    Like Thompson, Knight has proven that he has one very special skill: He can really shoot the deep shot. He’s up to 41 percent this season after a strong 38 percent from 3 last season, which is impressive. But he has not yet learned how to manage the game and to make easy passes/assists without being somewhat turnover-prone. Knight recently turned 21 and is known for his special work ethic and intelligence, so there is plenty of reason to believe he’ll improve a good deal. One side note: I’ve always thought he was going to be like Chauncey Billups, whose PER at age 21 happens to be the same as Knight’s now (12.7).
    Think patrick you and i had this argument about knight and billups.  David Thorpe of espn is on my side.

• Jan 2, 20132:50 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Jonas is a good player … I still believe his natural position is SF …however with the way Tayshaun has played …its hard to argue …

Daye from DAY 1 I have supported, last year was a step back for many reason, none to do with a lack of skill … He is a very talented scorer/ shooter …

Charlie V, A few years ago I thought he was a steal when we got him as a free agent, recently my feels changed, but now I see the player that Joe D wanted, better late than very

I love what Will Bynum is doing because I believe its going to free , Knight to play the same way …. Don’t know how long he can keep it up but it will be fun to watch

• Jan 2, 20133:04 pm
    by Passion not Energy

Again I’ll have to back LF, if you look early on in the season many of the teams losses were inside 10 pts or less, and the team never really looked like had quit on Frank, tired maby from the early season schedule. Dont forget that 2 pt loss to OKC early in the season.

On the double OT loss to the Hawks a few days ago, 85 pts scored by the bench the most by a bench in 13 years in the NBA, very impressive coaching job by Frank to utilize players he had buried so far down on the bench I never thought they would play again.  My only concern is, is Frank playing them on a mandate from Joe and Owner before the trade dead line or is he going to stick with something thats working ?

This is a very explosive 2nd unit, cant wait till Stuckey comes back. I’ll have to agree with Bynum that Stuck belongs with the 1st unit and move Sigler with the 2nd unit. Also start Drummond and bring Maxiell off the bench. imo Max would be perfect with the 2nd unit, he brings hustle passion and some nasty when he plays.

• Jan 2, 20133:56 pm
    by James Jones

D+ for J. Max???  If he doesn’t dive on the floor for that loose ball we probably lose that game.

I think that’s worthy of at least a C.

• Jan 2, 20135:57 pm
      by apa8ren9

He probably should have got a C-.  Im splitting hairs but Maxiell was plain awful against the Kings.   The only good thing he did the entire 25 minutes was dive on the floor for that loose ball.  Everyone on this board saw Maxiell wasnt having a good knight so why does the coach put the game in jeopardy by pairing Monroe with Maxiell with about 5 mins left instead of Drummond and Monroe to finish the game?  Its this type of obvious coaching nonsense that keeps me on the Dark side with Frank.  I defended him last year but its like he purposely makes these decisions.  Drummond wasnt taxed, he only played 19 or so minutes.  He could have closed that game out and got some end of game experience to boot.  Its just unnecessarily hard sometimes.

• Jan 2, 20136:53 pm
        by jamesjones_det

Look I want Drummond to get more minutes too, hell he should start and play equal minutes with moose.  I just think some of these fans need to take the blinders off with some of these comments and grades.

IMO Max was a C, could argue for the C-.  He had two bad TOs and the other to were the results of poor offensive execution.  He only took six shots and hit three with two put backs and a dive for a loose ball.  He didn’t really hurt the team and helped when they needed it most, all I’m saying is I feel like if Drummond was on the bench because of him he probably doesn’t get a D+.

• Jan 2, 201311:50 pm
    by Pimp Zombie

Am I wrong for feeling like Singler has run his course in the starting lineup? With the emergence of Daye and with Stuckey coming back, I think they can give Stuckey another shot as the primary ballhandler and let Knight spot up more….thus STOPPING THIS BK STARTING PG FARCE.