“New” Kings come to Detroit

Essentials

• Teams: Sacramento Kings (11-19) at Detroit Pistons (11-22)
  • Date: January 1, 2013
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

Every now and then, buying into the hype and forming a narrative can be a little boring, overdone and even leave you with a cheesy impression. And yet, it’s extremely difficult to avoid doing so when discussing the Sacramento Kings.

Earlier in the year, the Kings looked like a selfish team, as players routinely took low percentage shots and failed to share the ball. For the most part, it felt as though the Kings players took bad shots because they were afraid that if they passed the ball to a teammate that it wouldn’t come back to them.

The main culprit as I wrote a few weeks ago was DeMarcus Cousins.

The Kentucky product had all the talent in the world, but he just didn’t seem to get it. Cousins has since been suspended due to poor conduct with the team and recently returned to the lineup on December 28th against the New York Knicks.

In the two games that Cousins has played since his suspension, the Kings have not only been victorious, but they’ve looked quite impressive against the Knicks and Celtics.

The Sacramento Kings are averaging 19.8 assists (28th in NBA) this season and yet have produced 28 assists in back-to-back games.

Again, making this somewhat of a feel good story is rather mundane, but the truth is that the Kings have shared the ball more since Cousins has returned to play with his teammates. The third year pro is averaging 7.5 assists in the past two games and has played like the talented big man that he is. He’s settled a little less for long 2-point shots, preferring instead to drive the ball to the hoop for high percentage shots, sharing the ball when defenses converge on him or simply being perfectly fine with running the offense.

It’s worth noting, the sample size is obviously quite small and both games have been played at home, hence it’s quite possible that these new tendencies might not make the trip to Detroit; considering how bad the Kings have been on the road this season. They have lost 12 of their 13 road games, which suggests that they obviously have a problem with winning away from home.

Thus one has to be intrigued to see if Keith Smart’s group will play with the same level of commitment to one another that they’ve exhibited in their last two wins or whether they will revert back to old habits.

Read about the Kings

Cowbell Kingdom.

• Jan 1, 20138:19 pm
    by Reaction

I’m still in awe with our bench

• Jan 1, 20138:39 pm
    by smellman

Why is Charlie ejected and isiah gets no punishment for carrying on?

• Jan 1, 20138:42 pm
      by penguin

That was one of the most bs call I have seen.

• Jan 1, 20138:52 pm
        by Mike

Yeah and the idiot Frank pulls out Drummond and Monroe blows lead plays no defense, and Drummond would have been in the middle to meet Isiah Thomas.  Charlie V. did exactly what he should have, since the “Frank the Moronic” pulled our middle defensive beast.  Drummond +19 Monroe -3.  Drummond had zero / 0 / NO fouls when Frank the Moronic pulls him…  Jeez.

• Jan 1, 20139:11 pm
    by Worm

Boy, Blaha and Kelser are really getting on their soapboxes this game. I’ve never heard Blaha call out an official like he did.

• Jan 1, 20139:21 pm
      by ZekeKhaseli

too bad I couldn’t hear it. Even the sacramento play by play guy feels the pistons are at disadvantage

• Jan 1, 20139:14 pm
    by Johan

Is it just me or are the refs completely against us?

• Jan 1, 20139:39 pm
    by Worm

I’m not sure if I’ve ever said to myself, “That’s not going in” and been wrong more times than I have this last week because of Bynum lol.

• Jan 1, 20139:42 pm
    by ZekeKhaseli

I’ve had enough with Frank and Maxiell relationshit

• Jan 1, 201310:03 pm
    by Venice

The shooting touch of Daye is back! Resign him !I think he can be a Durant lite for our team.

• Jan 1, 201310:05 pm
      by Reaction

Tbh I’m starting to love Daye but I dunno how much longer he can keep it up.. This is the first time in his entire career he has had a good string of games. I would trade him if we can get a decent draft pick out of it.

• Jan 1, 201310:09 pm
        by Venice

I think it’s best for the team if we keep him for the season.Lets see if he can keep up this shooting touch. and if he does,it’s best to sign him.

• Jan 1, 201310:03 pm
    by Day and Knight

The Redemption Team does it again!!

• Jan 1, 201310:05 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I said it before…Austin Daye is a Keeper…he is too talented as an offensive player to trade for a 2nd rd pick….unless he is packaged for a star caliber player…you keep Daye….

I love the way the Pistons are playing Right Now

• Jan 1, 201310:06 pm
    by Daye and Knight (Team Redemption)

Team: Redemption

Big Three: Charlie V, Daye and Will “the thrill” Bynum!

• Jan 1, 201310:21 pm
    by Delray313

Charlie V is becoming a piston lol put him on his ass Cv. Dayeooooooo clutch shooting is greatly needed.

• Jan 1, 201310:21 pm
    by Anon

I know we’ve kind of moved past the complaining about Maxiell thing, but tonight his +/- was -14. The next worst on the team was Tayshaun with -2. Whether or not Drummond starts, (he and Moose did play a fair amount together today) he needs to be cutting more into Max’s minutes, not Monroe’s.

All that said, good game for the Pistons tonight. Wish we would stop letting every game get so close in the 4th, but a win is a win.

• Jan 1, 201310:33 pm
      by Delray313

Right i think the more drummond plays he will become a great not good center he has it all and he is not polished all the way boy just wait. he can avg a double double any night.

• Jan 2, 20136:11 am
    by TANNER

a can someone tell me why JJ not playing?????