Jose Calderon trade sounds near completion with Pistons looking like winners

Marc Stein of ESPN:

ESPN sources say Pistons poised to send both Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye to Grizzlies to acquire Jose Calderon as part of Rudy Gay deal

David Aldridge of NBA.com:

Source says Grizzlies will complete 3 team trade w/Toronto by dealing Jose Calderon to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince and second round pick.

Austin Daye, a second-rounder or both – I don’t care. This is an excellent trade with any of those three possibilities.

• Jan 30, 20136:10 pm
    by Rich

Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jan 30, 20136:14 pm
    by Worm

WOOOOO! I’m liking the starting 5 of Calderon-Knight-Singler-Monroe-Drummond. Good floor spacing while maintaining size inside.

• Jan 30, 20136:16 pm
      by DasMark

I would adore that starting line-up. Knight, Singler and Jose could finally give proper floor spacing for Monroe and Drummond.

• Jan 30, 20136:14 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I just got a BONER!

• Jan 30, 20136:18 pm
      by Vince

Hahahahaha wow

• Jan 30, 20136:26 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Tay was so damn SMUG a few weeks ago!!!!

I hope Austin gets a chance to produce on that team!

• Jan 30, 20136:14 pm
    by DasMark

Funny how this trade was proposed on here earlier today.

I’m loving this deal. It makes so much sense for Detroit. Calderon gives us a legit pass-first PG that can knock down the 3.

Prince and Daye leaving gives Detroit even more cap space this summer to make moves and it also allows Singler to slide over to the 3, and gets Jerebko back into the rotation.

Just a huge win, FINALLY! Finally Detroit comes out on the winning side of a deal!

• Jan 30, 20136:15 pm
    by Kerghan

Wow Tayshaun is heading out!

Shocked that Joe would pull a move including him but the new era has finally begun.

• Jan 30, 20136:18 pm
      by Reaction

Now we just need to get rid of stuckey

• Jan 30, 20136:15 pm
    by MitchEPooh

Do NOT be pulling my leg!

• Jan 30, 20136:19 pm
    by Nickkey

Part of me will be said to see Tay go after all these years but this is an unbalanced roster which needs spacing, a floor general and shooters.  The future is now!

• Jan 30, 20136:19 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I gotta give Props for Gheml he been yelling about Calderon for weeks

• Jan 30, 20136:21 pm
    by Rich

Seriously, though, how insane is Toronto.
    This deal basically works out to an A for Detroit, an A for Memphis, and an F for Toronto.
    Ed Davis and Jose Calderon are two of their three best players.  And they’re giving them up for arguably the most overrated player in the league who has a horrible contract to boot.

• Jan 30, 20136:25 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Gay can easily average 30ppg ….He is a very dynamic player… it works out for the Pistons because that expiring contract…

Maybe Stuckey is next

• Jan 30, 20139:56 pm
      by Lorenzo

This is not a bad trade for Toronto at all. They are giving up Ed Davis and Calderon for Gay, pretty solid swap for them. Gay is having a down year but he is ONLY 26 year old, entering his prime, and a 20/6 a night type of player that fits well on their roster (as opposed to Memphis). Talent wise, it’s a no brainier of a move, salary is the only harsh part for the Rap.

• Jan 30, 20136:22 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

IM SO GLAD TAY IS GONE!!!!!!!

I said it yesterday… I never question Dumars trades…he is good at it….

Wish we could have landed Gay, but I get it…

• Jan 30, 20136:28 pm
    by danny

FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY we made some moves made more room for this summer and got someone that can run a unit and teach knight.   ahhhhhhhh yeah lobs to drummond too just when i was getting bored too.

• Jan 30, 20138:05 pm
    by Sop

This is a big gamble. Tay is a very solid SF and integral part of Pistons basketball. But getting all that cap space for next summer is BIG. (But only if it’s used wisely) This move really hinges on if the Pistons can sign elite talent this summer or not.

• Jan 30, 20138:21 pm
      by ZekeKhaseli

I agree. Big gamble to let go that Isotay offense on the post and bonafide defense he masterfully display on SF in the league every night. Big gamble

• Jan 30, 20139:23 pm
      by Oracle

Yes, how on earth will we replace those 30+ minutes in exchange for 11.5 points/4.5 boards/2.5 assists.  Almost anyone in the league could put up those stats.  Mediocre defense, and mediocre efficiency numbers.  While the FA is certainly the big deal here, giving up Tay should have been an easy decision.

• Jan 30, 20138:24 pm
    by Clint in Flint

Tayshaun Prince, thanks for the many winning seasons you helped us achieve.

• Jan 30, 20138:50 pm
    by sap

maggette maxiel and bynum contracts end this year .. possibly more cap space

• Jan 30, 20139:10 pm
    by apa8ren9

Its and end of an era, no more Palace Prince.  He got paid and we shipped him out in a trade that makes sense.  Now, what can Frank do with it?