Short road trip starts in Cleveland

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (6-15) at Cleveland Cavaliers (4-16)
  • Date: December 8, 2012
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

After losing at home last night to the Chicago Bulls, the Detroit Pistons will try to rebound at the Quicken Loans Arena when they take on a Cleveland Cavaliers team that was soundly defeated on the road Friday night in Minnesota.

Tonight’s contest will be a rematch of the December 3rd matchup that the Pistons won at home by a comfortable 10-point margin.

Anderson Varejao played well in that contest, but the Cavaliers only managed to score 79 points.

One of the biggest reasons why Cleveland struggled to score against Detroit was simply their inability to convert shots at the rim; an issue they’ve struggled with throughout most of the season, but particularly against the Pistons.

On the season, Detroit surrenders 42.4 points in the paint per game, which is 23rd in the NBA, and the Cavs actually outpaced that in their first encounter against the Pistons, as they produced 44 points in the paint.

That’s a solid total, until we dig deeper and look at how they managed to produce it.

The league average on conversion rate for shots at the rim is 63.7 percent according to Hoopdata, but the Cleveland Cavaliers managed to convert a mere 17-of-37 shots at the rim (45.9 percent) against the Detroit Pistons.

Part of it is that Byron Scott’s unit does not have good finishers as evidenced by the fact that they are dead last in the NBA in conversion rate at the rim, but what also played a factor was Maxiell, Monroe and Drummond’s ability to contest shots at the basket that made it difficult for opponents to convert shots.

Furthermore, given that the easiest shot in the game is the attempt right at the basket, if a team is struggling to convert those, the odds are quite likely that they will have a poor shooting performance overall since shots typically become tougher to convert the further away a player is from the hoop. In the case of Cleveland, they only managed to convert 33.7 percent of all of their shots against the Pistons less than week ago.

Thus, if the Pistons are going to defeat the Cavs for the second time in less than week, contesting shots at the rim and then securing rebounds will benefit them greatly given Cleveland’s inability to convert a large percentage of their shots at the basket.

Read about the Cavs

Cavs the Blog.

• Dec 8, 20126:49 pm
    by gmehl

This would be the perfect game to throw Drummond into the fire and give him at least 30 minutes. Tell him his job is to keep Varejao off the glass (especially the offensive glass). With all the injuries they have combined with keeping Varejao relatively quiet would pretty much be the perfect blueprint to winning this game. Now that Drummond has got his feet wet in the NBA the next step is to start setting assignments/goals against better players and test/challenge him to meet them. If he does this against better players he will start to build his confidence and feel he belongs on the big stage. I’m not saying we should expect him to shut down guys but rather just limit them…especially in areas like on the offensive glass where they can hurt us with second shots which can then bring other players into the game.

• Dec 8, 20127:28 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

it will be great to see how he learns, history says he plays better against opponents the 2nd time around

• Dec 8, 20127:53 pm

more man to man defense

• Dec 8, 20128:04 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

for our offense to really be a force Monroe has ro shoot and make that jumper..he passes on it everytime

• Dec 10, 20124:43 pm
      by apa8ren9

agreed I hate Frank,  that is the next level step for PF in the NBA.  It takes you from good to great.   Think Barkley, Malone, Duncan and even Webber.  It was because that had the ability to make a foul line jumper that elevates the drive to the basket more effective.  Does Monroe not understand that? If not does his coach have enough sense to explain it to him?

• Dec 8, 20128:11 pm
    by Day and Knight

I remember when this matchup used to mean something. I would mark my calendar when the new bad boys of Detroit would go up against LeBron and the Cav’s…now all this matchup really means is “which team sucks the most” crazy how the mighty has fallen guess all it took was for Dumars to invest in some scrubs and for LeBron to ditch Gilbert

• Dec 8, 20128:14 pm

maggette is horrible

• Dec 8, 20128:15 pm

i only watch the Pistons for Drummond

• Dec 8, 20128:16 pm
      by Mark

+1000000000

• Dec 8, 20128:43 pm
        by ZekeKhaseli

Yeah after his 6 minutes I just watch the boards for the angry comments.

• Dec 8, 20128:15 pm
    by Mark

Zeller with 9 pts and 7 rebs in 12 min and Frank brings CV in to guard him.

• Dec 8, 20128:27 pm
    by Mark

In 7 min, CV has goose eggs across the board. Not even joking.

• Dec 8, 20128:32 pm

he had 2 strong boards yesterday

• Dec 8, 20128:32 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

LOL! Strugglin with Defense and Rebounding… what your adjustment? Bench Drummond and keep Charlie in the game…..

NO Perimeter Game at all….Keep Maggette in the game….

We trust have the worse coach in the league

• Dec 8, 20128:44 pm
      by ZekeKhaseli

Wait.. he’s gonna turn it around. in the alternate universe

• Dec 8, 20128:54 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

bracing myself for a cavs Big 3rd QRT… and Byron makes all the right adjustments…and and our coach… playes the starts for the first 9 minutes….then plays the bench until the last 4-5 minutes of the 4th qrt…then bring back the starters

• Dec 8, 20129:00 pm

here it comes

• Dec 8, 20129:02 pm
    by gmehl

We are getting smashed on the glass again. This is starting to get beyond a joke now. If your not going to play English, Middleton, Bynum or Daye then at least put Kravtsov in there to rectify that problem.

• Dec 8, 20129:03 pm

10-0 RUNS CAVS!!!!

DDDDDDEEEEEETTTTRRRRROOOIIIITTTTTTT BBBBAAAASSSSKKKKETTTTBBBBAAAALLLLLL!!!!!

The Adjustment would be Start Stuckey…if you are not gonna take advantage of Singlers Size!!!!! POST THE 6″8 PLAYER UP AGAINST THE 6’2 PLAYER!!!!

• Dec 8, 20129:07 pm

offensive rebounding is sicking

• Dec 8, 20129:15 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

If Maxiell was a Better Rebounder and Passer I would love him and Drummond playing more together…because Maxiell is so confident in his jumper no hesitation …I wish Monroe would just shoot the ball like that

• Dec 8, 20129:17 pm

Notice Drummonds defensive IMPACT

• Dec 8, 20129:21 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Drummond doesnt come out of this game!!!!!

• Dec 8, 20129:22 pm

in the 3rd ..Drummond +14

• Dec 8, 20129:23 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

WHY CHARLIE????? if you want defense???

• Dec 8, 20129:30 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I HATE TO SAY THIS! but we look like a Better team Without Monroe on the Floor… (Atleast tonight)

• Dec 8, 20129:33 pm

this is the Brandon Knight I have been waiting to see

• Dec 8, 20129:35 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

WHY TAKE KNIGHT OUT!!!!!!

• Dec 8, 20129:53 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

WHERE IS DRUMMOND DOWN THE STRETCH FOR DEFENSE!!!!!!!

TERRIBLE

• Dec 8, 20129:54 pm
    by Venice

what the hell .that was obviously a flop by varejao .the hell with this referees .

• Dec 8, 201210:09 pm
      by gmehl

Yeah he will be getting a call and fine from Stern on that one.

• Dec 8, 20129:56 pm

Can Knight get an A++ tonight

• Dec 8, 20129:57 pm
    by tTOPS

Although Andre Drummond has preformed to an exemplary standard during this young season, it is important to re-emphasize the work that Maxiell has done as well.  We’re lucky that both of them seem like good guys and people we can feel good cheering for.

• Dec 8, 201210:02 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Knight first 20 shot attempt game and 38 minute game of the season …. he scores 30pts 7rebs 5ast 1stl 1blk….

An Aggressive Knight … THANK YOU MY POINT EXACTLY!!!

Good Job Frank at letting Knight be Knight

• Dec 8, 201210:05 pm
    by Corey

Drummond totally changed the game in the 3rd. Bet they’d be pretty good if he ever played with Monroe

• Dec 8, 201210:10 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

For Monroe and Drummond to be Effective…Monroe has to shoot that jumper…. he cant keep doing that hesitation pump fake mess…once Monroe does that he will be able to pump fake and drive the ball more without freezing the ball movement soo much

• Dec 8, 201210:25 pm
    by Mark

Drummond has avg 25 min the last 3 games. Looks they might be getting close to starting him.

• Dec 8, 201210:26 pm
    by Corey

Knight must have been really bothered by that thigh bruise for a couple games. He looked great tonight. as a scorer at least.

• Dec 8, 201210:30 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

knight is at his best as a scorer…. he then makes solid decisions passing the ball

• Dec 8, 201210:35 pm
    by Nine_Fat_Stalks

yeah, love what Max has done too. I think the biggest reason Drum needs to start soon though is to help MOOSE, who’s clearly struggling.

• Dec 8, 201210:40 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Id trade Monroe….for lamarcus aldridge…

• Dec 9, 20129:12 am

Monroe may be having a troubling stretch, but I would certainly not do so. Monroe is already a better passer and rebounder and his scoring and defense aren’t far behind.

• Dec 8, 201210:57 pm
    by Jon

maybe frank not playing moose and dre together is his way of tanking for the last piece to a contender down the road

• Dec 9, 20128:52 am
      by Vic

That’s what I think.

• Dec 8, 201211:07 pm
    by gmehl

Am i the only one that feels like even though we won the game on the scoreboard it actually felt like we lost this game. We were terrible on the glass and if Irving played we would’ve lost by 20.

• Dec 8, 201211:57 pm
      by Reaction

I feel the same.. had Irving or even Waiters played we probably would have lost.

• Dec 9, 201212:01 am

@gmekl

I don’t know… Kyrie is good…but if you look at Pargo numbers ….. Those are Kyrie like numbers …. And other reasons the cavs rebound offensively well, they take quick shots from players you aren’t always suspecting to shoot the ball ….

Another reason they offensive rebound soo well is they shoot one of the lowest percents in the league… Facts like that get ignored …hence only 4 wins ….

• Dec 9, 201212:30 am
        by Mark

yeah, thats what I was going to say. How much better than 24/4 would Irving have been?

Besides Knight always plays great against Irving

• Dec 9, 20129:14 am

Wait, so you don’t think Irving could perform better than Pargo’s addmittedly good game but you do think that Knight could go off more against him than his huge game?

• Dec 9, 201212:36 am
    by Mark

Its so irritating to see Monroe struggle this year, knowing we drafted a big man specifically FOR HIM, to give him help in the paint…and we watch that big man shine by himself, yet Monroe isn’t allowed to play with him.

WTF

• Dec 9, 20128:57 am
    by Vic

Someone needs to tell Monroe his triple threat is only a threat if he can shoot it confidently. All he has to do is watch film of his own teammate. Watch Maxiell let it fly without hesitation and a high release. Hit that a couple times and all the sudden your drive and pass can go to work easy. He needs a coach like Laimbeer.