Pistons trying to trade Austin Daye

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports (hat tip: Kurt Helin of ProBasketballTalk):

Pistons are actively shopping forward Austin Daye, a source said.

I can’t imagine Austin Daye would fetch even a second-rounder in a trade. He’s done two things in the last two years:

1. Not played

2. Played poorly

Daye has a nearly $3 million expiring contract, so that could be helpful in facilitating a larger trade. But as far as Daye appealing to another team, I just can’t see it.

• Dec 19, 20127:20 pm
    by frankie d

joe d should give seminars on how to drive down the value of your players.
    he’s done an incredible job of doing exactly that over the last few years.

• Dec 19, 20127:25 pm
    by gmehl

All i can say is I’m glad something is trying to be done. 3 years ago we had a log jam of SG’s and now we have the same problem at SF.  He might not fetch much but i would be happy with an early 2nd rounder.

• Dec 20, 201210:59 am
      by jamesjones_det

We may have a log jam in terms of players, but we have no talent at either the SF or SG positions.  TP 5 years ago maybe but now… we just have bench players filling the start role.

• Dec 19, 20128:10 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

lol… trade the cheap 24 year old…but not push to trade the old vets

• Dec 20, 201211:01 am
      by jamesjones_det

A vet at 50 could outplay Daye at 24, but I agree with your sentiment.

• Dec 19, 20128:35 pm
    by Otis

Glad something is trying to be done??

Trading away players nobody wants is no way to improve a terrible team I consider this BAD news because there isn’t a different name (or names) in that headline. They should be trying to trade Tayshaun, Maxiell and Stuckey and open to trading absolutely anyone else for the right price.

• Dec 19, 20129:29 pm
      by gmehl

I never said i didn’t want Joe to be trying to trade any of the other guys you mentioned. As far as i’m concerned NO ONE on this team is untouchable. Not Monroe, not Drummond not Knight…no body!

• Dec 19, 20129:42 pm
        by Otis

What I was saying is that it’s a BAD sign if news is circulating that Days is being shopped, because it indicates by omission that others aren’t.

• Dec 19, 20129:57 pm
          by gmehl

I think its safe to say that the kid has probably asked to be traded. If we could trade him for just a draft pick it might open a roster spot for another trade. Knowing Joe he is trying to trade Daye so he can open up a roster spot for Big Ben to take all of Drummond’s minutes away.

• Dec 20, 20121:35 am
      by DasMark

I have to agree with you, Otis. Drummond is really the only player I would deem hands-off right now. Hell, if Joe could dangle Monroe and Stuckey as bait to Minnesota for K-Love, that would be great!

• Dec 20, 20122:29 am
        by Otis

That would be amazing. Something’s got to give. This isn’t working.

• Dec 19, 20129:08 pm
    by tgill

So that is why Daye is playing the next couple of games , to get his trade value up

• Dec 19, 20129:34 pm
    by jerrific

well this explains the context of those “daye is a proffessional” comments.

• Dec 19, 201210:19 pm
    by Jason Mclaurin

• Dec 20, 20121:04 am
      by gmehl

^^The guy that posted above is speechless!

• Dec 20, 20128:21 am
    by gmehl

Daye IMHO needs to play for a team like the Spurs where he can get solid coaching

• Dec 20, 20129:41 am
    by Mack

I am convinced Austin Daye’s production has decreased significalntly since his rookie year (9th in the leauge in 3pt% at one point), has been a direct result of being best buds with Charlie V. The minute I saw those two taking frivilous “planking” pictures together, I knew he was not under a veteran’s wing, which ultilmately resulted in a downward spiral.

Am I blameing this on just planking, no. Blame is being placed on the lack of veteran leadership that the Pistons have tradtionally had. Would Laimbeer, Big Ben, Chauncey, Joe D., Grant Hill, or even Mikki Moore be involved with such ridiculous acts?

Piston’s need to return to the culture that put Detroit Basketball on the map, tough minded attidudes & hard nosed players.

• Dec 20, 201211:04 am
      by jamesjones_det

Yep, if this model actually worked the Clippers would have been the best of all time in the 90′s and 2000′s.

• Dec 20, 201211:04 am
        by jamesjones_det

I meant to say, Yep if this current model we are running worked…

• Dec 20, 201211:27 am
    by Justin

How about this:

Pistons get: Danny Granger

Pacers get: Daye, Prince, and Maxiell

• Dec 20, 20127:14 pm
    by CityofKlompton

Keep dreaming, Justin.  (I’d be amped about that though…)