Pistons loss to Bulls is easily explainable — it’s an effort thing

I don’t like to write about things like ‘effort’ or ‘motor’ much. First of all, it’s a huge, hacky cliché in sports writing to use those terms as a constant crutch — ‘they got out-worked’ or ‘they didn’t want it enough’ or ‘they didn’t have enough heart’ — I hate all that stuff. First of all, how do you even measure something like how badly a team ‘wants’ to win? How do you differentiate between whether they ‘wanted’ to win enough or just weren’t talented enough to win?

I like to be able to defend positions I take, and because things like that are subjective, opinion-based and, thus, hard to defend because different eyes might see different things, I try to avoid them. So with that headline, I don’t mean to suggest this game was about the Pistons not giving effort and the Bulls giving effort. It’s more complex than that.

For the Bulls, effort, toughness, motor … those things are actual measurable skills. You can see them show up statistically when the Bulls fall behind by double-digits but have the ability to come back and win games (which they’ve done to other teams this season). You can see it show up when they lose players from their lineup (already without Derrick Rose, they also played without Richard Hamilton tonight) and still manage to win games. You can see it when Joakim Noah makes himself impossible to keep off of the offensive glass. You can see it in games like this one where they don’t do the one thing they do best  – play defense — and they still win.

There’s a reason the Pistons, despite shooting 51 percent and 57 percent from 3-point range, despite turning the ball over just eight times, despite getting arguably the best performance of the season out of two players (Rodney Stuckey and Charlie Villanueva) and a very good performance out of Brandon Knight, they still lost the game. Yes, coaching factors in to this, but as I’ve said throughout the season, despite all of Lawrence Frank‘s questionable decisions this season, the Pistons players have to be held more accountable for losing games like this. It’s not that I think the Pistons didn’t ‘want’ to win this game enough. I just legitimately think they collectively don’t know how to handle adversity. Part of that is being a young team, part of that is them just simply lacking talent to compete with middle-tier to elite NBA teams, but a large part of it is the NBA-level effort the winning teams put in is a skill, and it’s a skill the Pistons lack.

Joakim Noah got 10 offensive rebounds tonight. Five offensive rebounds would’ve been a great game on the offensive glass. Ten is a ridiculous number. If the Pistons held him to a great game rather than a ridiculous game, they probably win.

Kirk Hinrich came into this game shooting 34 percent. Tonight, he shot 4-for-5 and 2-for-3 from 3-point range. If you force him to miss one two and one three — not unreasonable considering how much he’s struggled — then you probably win.

The Bulls used a shorter bench (including one player, Nate Robinson, who was awful in the time he played), played their starters bigger minutes, and still looked like the fresher, more aggressive team. Yes, Frank’s decisions tonight continued his pattern of looking slow to adjust when he has a lead and the other team counters. That’s a significant issue. But, once again, the Pistons were porous defensively and were bullied inside no matter who they put on the court. Those are deficiencies that no amount of coaching will correct until the players simply learn how to be more physical, how to match the energy and toughness that a team like Chicago always plays with. Frank or whoever coaches the team in the future can certainly have a role in helping the players get there, but ultimately, games like this where one team so clearly beats you up inside and outside offensively is a reflection on the players too.

Chicago Bulls 108 Final

Recap | Box Score

104 Detroit Pistons
Jason Maxiell, PF 27 MIN | 2-5 FG | 2-4 FT | 9 REB | 0 AST | 6 PTS | -6Maxiell rebound, but he was part of a frontcourt that was completely bullied by Chicago. Carlos Boozer always plays well against anyone the Pistons throw at him and Joakim … Noah … well .. he had about two games worth of statistics for him tonight.
Tayshaun Prince, SF 34 MIN | 4-9 FG | 5-6 FT | 2 REB | 1 AST | 13 PTS | -11Prince was off a bit in the first half, but started hitting his shots in the second half. He was decent defensively against Luol Deng.
Kyle Singler, SF 24 MIN | 1-6 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 0 AST | 2 PTS | -7This might have been Singler’s least impactful game since he became a starter.
Greg Monroe, C 25 MIN | 6-13 FG | 1-2 FT | 5 REB | 2 AST | 13 PTS | -7There’s not much to say about Monroe’s performance. He was not only a defensive liability, he also was ineffective as a rebounder. At this point, him not playing well defensively is fairly common, but if he’s also not rebounding, it’s hard to keep him on the court, even if his offense wasn’t bad tonight.
Brandon Knight, PG 35 MIN | 6-11 FG | 6-7 FT | 1 REB | 2 AST | 21 PTS | -10Knight recovered nicely from an awful game Wednesday. He had a great first half, but faded a bit in the second half. With just two turnovers, he took good care of the ball.
Charlie Villanueva, PF 21 MIN | 6-9 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 1 AST | 15 PTS | 0Villanueva was part of the problem defensively tonight, and he didn’t help much on the boards, but when his shot is falling, he’s a contributor. He had it going tonight, so his minutes were positive ones, defensive liability and all.
Corey Maggette, SF 16 MIN | 1-2 FG | 1-2 FT | 1 REB | 1 AST | 3 PTS | +9You guys already addressed it in the comments, but it is really unclear what Maggette has done to this point in the season to justify a rotation spot.
Andre Drummond, C 23 MIN | 3-3 FG | 1-2 FT | 4 REB | 0 AST | 7 PTS | +3Drummond wasn’t as impactful as he was Wednesday. He fared better trying to contain Chicago’s frontcourt than Monroe and Maxiell did, but he still wasn’t that much better. Still, the positive takeaway from tonight — Drummond played 20 more minutes in two consecutive games for only the second time this season.
Rodney Stuckey, PG 36 MIN | 7-12 FG | 8-8 FT | 1 REB | 7 AST | 24 PTS | +9Knight had a good game tonight and he still looked like the second best point guard on the roster. Stuckey was really good tonight — he distributed, he attacked, he defended reasonably well, he got to the line and he even made 2-of-3 3-pointers. At some point, they’re going to have to consider starting him again. And when they do, I hope they reverse the roles of the guards in the starting unit with Stuckey as the primary point guard and Knight as primarily a shooting guard.
Lawrence Frank, Coach Listen, it’s the same story with Frank. He’s slow to adjust when things start going downhill, he played Maxiell big minutes despite the fact that he had an awful matchup, he played Maggette despite Maggette doing relatively little on the court and he even played a struggling Singler too much tonight. All that being said — this isn’t all Frank’s fault. Yes, he still gets an ‘F’ because he’s the coach, he was facing a depleted (albeit still very solid) team at home, his team shot 51 percent and 57 percent from three, only turned it over eight times and still lost, so he gets significant blame for that. But as I wrote above, the players just simply got out-worked, and we should all be heaping substantial criticism on them as well.

• Dec 7, 201211:35 pm
    by Mel

Yeah this team is performing as if they don’t give a shit and if they don’t then I don’t either. For the first time as a Piston fan I’m about to tune them out for a while. And thats a hard thing for me because I’ve been a fan since “79″. I just can’t stand seeing a team with so much potential go to waste. Doug Collins would have this same team’s record in reverse because he knows how to get effort out of his player plus he can coach the game. I out.

• Dec 7, 201211:35 pm
    by dtmfr

Drummond got lit up all night and he gets a B while Monroe gets an F???  Looks like someone is kissing up to Drummond so they avoid weakening their Drummond should get more minutes narrative. So biased.

• Dec 7, 201211:47 pm

“Drummond got lit up all night and he gets a B while Monroe gets an F?”

Well, Drummond was a +3 and he fared better defensively than Maxiell or Monroe. Maybe he didn’t deserve a B necessarily in this game, but I did think he was significantly better defensively than the other two when he was on the court. Big secret: these grades aren’t a real thing. They’re mostly a flashy graphic. And they’re also a way to crudely show the differences in who contributed what. Monroe was bad and I thought Drummond was better on D. That’s my opinion and, based on the comments in the game preview, I’m not the only one who felt that way.

“Looks like someone is kissing up to Drummond so they avoid weakening their Drummond should get more minutes narrative.”

He was one of only three guys on the team who had a positive plus/minus.

Also, are you under the impression that I created the Drummond should play more narrative? Because if you are, you should really read more sites. Virtually everyone, from national outlets down to local ones, has made a case that Drummond is not playing enough.

Also again, you realize that you are literally the only Piston fan who is not interested in seeing Drummond play more, right? There has never been one single comment here supporting you on your crusade that Drummond has played an adequate number of minutes this season.

“So biased.”

Weird. An analysis piece that is based on my opinions and observations is biased? Well get the fainting couches! When I write game recaps, I write about things that I notice or see and try to make sense out of it. Some people agree, some people disagree, most people just like to add their own thoughts in the comments. Please explain to me the problem with this?

• Dec 8, 20127:20 am
        by gmehl

Rumour has it that dtmfr is actually Lawrence Frank

• Dec 8, 20121:11 pm
        by Crispus

I don’t get to watch the Pistons much, but man, Monroe was SO BAD on D. He was slow and always seemed to make the wrong switch on the pick and roll, allowing his man gift-wrapped uncontested dunks. His off the ball defense was shameful as well, as he got “BamBoozered” and “CoNoahfused” on cuts that led to more uncontested dunks. It seems like Monroe literally needs Drummond in there to occupy the paint so the other team’s big men don’t get to the cookie jar.

Th Pistons offense still looks pretty awkward. Monroe needs to fight down low so he can get the ball closer to the basket and have better passing options. I know he likes that sweet dribble drive from close to the free throw line, but unless he starts shooting like Chris Webber that shouldn’t be the preference.

You are right about Frank not adjusting. What is this sink or swim garbage? At the beginning of the second half everything was crumbling yet Frank painfully left the same lineup in there to keep bungling the game away. I don’t get it.

• Dec 8, 20121:14 pm
        by Crispus

On the plus side it’s nice to finally see Charlie V as a member of the Pistons. Looks like all that attitude adjustment and training in the offseason was legit. Now he’s playing basketball for us instead of just being a well-paid, immature lightning rod bolted to the bench.

• Dec 8, 20127:17 pm
          by gmehl

@Crispus In reference to your post above, part of the reason Drummond has been out of place on defence is the fact that he has been playing his minutes in the last 4-5 games along side CV. As a defender no matter how good you are if you play along side a crappy defender (CV) then your defence suffers too. CV doesn’t switch, box out and is pretty much abused down low. Poor old Drummond has to guard his man and CV’s on most plays. Also part of being a good defender is talking/communicating with your fellow defenders and let them know who is going where. All have seen CV do is set shitty picks so he can spot up for 3 pointers. Yeah he has been shooting well lately but you have to do more than one thing to be effective in this league.

• Dec 8, 20125:50 am
      by Zekekhaseli

Are you for real man? I watched all the games pistons played this year including summer league and preseason. I feel letdown when the too smart for his own good coach Lawrence Frank decided to play drill sergeant to Andre. Look at where we are now? The first eight games was a meltdown (Prince was right in alarming the team before the season start) in chemistry after a promising preseason with great plays not just from Drummond but sir Kim, Middleton and JJ. This is unacceptable. I agree with Mel I wanna tune out Detroit untill they start Monroe and Drummond. What now Frank?

• Dec 7, 201211:38 pm
    by Mark

I agree our players need to play with more toughness as a whole. But I’ve seen a lot of “soft” players over the years suddenly become tough/scrappy guys under the right coach. The Bulls are a perfect example. They took guys like Boozer and Kyle Korver, who were the posterboys of soft defense, yet under Thibodeau they became tough/scrappy defenders. I’ve seen it happen on SA, where soft players suddenly play tough for Popovich. I’ve seen it over the years with Larry Brown and Carlisle’s teams, not just in Detroit, but every team they coach. I’ve seen it with Doug Collins teams as well.

Good coach’s push buttons that get their players to WANT go to war for them. Thats where its not all about x’s and o’s and fundamentals. Frank may be great at teaching fundamentals, but I don’t ever get the sense his players are willing to give that extra effort for HIM.

Sure, in a perfect world, you’d have a roster full of ready made warriors who don’t need to be motivated. But in reality, in an 82 game season you’re not going to get 12 guys self-motivated EVERY game to go all out. Knowing how to motivate guys in those times is a big part of coaching too, and part of what made the greats like Daly, Riley and Jackson so great.

I never sense passion from any of our players to go to work for Frank. When you combine that with poor in game adjustments, it doesn’t add up to a very good coach.

• Dec 7, 201211:51 pm
      by Joe Dumars

I hate to break it to you but Boozer isn’t some scrappy defender even under Tibs. It may just seem that way because their front court rotation did consist Asik, Gibson, and Noah who are all good defenders. Not to mention the Bulls have Deng and they had Ronnie Brewer last year.

You can get away with 2-3 defensively liabilities if you have them surrounded naturally good defenders.

• Dec 7, 201211:54 pm
        by Joe Dumars

Bulls fans want him gone for a reason, and Boozer’s likely going to be a amnestied.

• Dec 7, 201211:58 pm

Yeah, Boozer only looks scrappy and tough when they play the Pistons.

• Dec 8, 201212:01 am
        by Mark

meh, Boozer’s been a MUCH improved defender since joining the Bulls. I never said he was Ben Wallace. But he definitely goes to war for his coach. That was the point I was making.

• Dec 8, 201212:12 am
          by Joe Dumars

…and alot of that has to do with who he plays with.

The problem with the Pistons roster right now is Dumars hasn’t signed or drafted anyone with a defensive mentality in a long time except for Drummond. This team defense has been so inconsistant because its fill with defensive liabilities.

• Dec 7, 201211:40 pm
    by D_S_V

Patrick I swear I’m not trying to be ‘that guy’, but have to agree, Drummond, B? Doesn’t seem right if Monroe gets an F unless I’m not aware of a rookie curve in the scale. Noah lit up the entire front court tonight. Silver lining is the thought of Drummond progressing to that sort of game changer. Does Noah really have much more talent than Drummond? I don’t think so.

• Dec 7, 201211:57 pm

It might be too high. But a couple of things:

- I do tend to grade reserves differently than starters. I thought the starters were an absolute failure up front tonight, and when you bring in your bench guys, particularly a 19-year-old, to try and slow down guys who are rolling like Boozer and Noah were, that should reflect on the starters.

- Drummond obviously didn’t neutralize Noah or play lockdown defense, but my opinion was he was more competitive defensively than Monroe in particular. He was one of three players with a positive plus/minus, too. That stat obviously isn’t an end-all measure, but it’s significant. His unit played well.

- I have extremely high standards for Monroe. Last year, many people considered him in the conversation with Noah for an all-star spot. To get obliterated so completely by a player you are supposed to be comparable to value-wise, to me, is unacceptable. As I said in the post, they take away a few of those 10 (!) offensive boards that Noah grabbed, and there’s a chance they win this game. Individually, Monroe lost his matchup badly tonight and, in my opinion, that was the individual matchup that absolutely shifted the game to Chicago’s favor.

• Dec 8, 20122:26 am
      by hirobeats

Monroe deserved an F. I think sometimes we give him a free pass because he’s usually our best player. But, I think it’s hard to ignore the fact that Monroe has been exposed just a little bit. maybe it’s time to address the fact that he cant score, rebound, or defend effectively against GOOD centers with length. Maybe this is all the more reason why he should be playing PF, and Drummond start. honestly, I can’t see Monroe being a star at the center position. However, If he can learn how to finish more consistently, and knock down that 15 footer, he can become an elite PF.

• Dec 8, 20129:54 am
        by Bard

I think you’re right and, besides finding a new coach, the best thing that could happen to this team is to move Moose to PF and start Drummond at C. It’d be nice to see Middleton and English, as well.

The real fans watch the draft and all the trade news. To not play these guys at all, even in garbage minutes, is a real frustration for the fans and shows that LF is too focused. Yes, too focused. He can’t see enough of what others know for that to be of help to him. Fans and sports pundits are not stupid.

We never even saw Slava and now he’s inactive. I wonder if he sucked.

• Dec 8, 201212:30 pm

Moving to PF will help Monroe defensively. But teams are still going to guard him with their centers, since he’s shown several times this season that he struggles offensively vs. big, Marc Gasol/Chris Kaman/Varejao types.

• Dec 8, 20124:42 pm
            by Tom Y.

They’re gonna guard him with a center and leave Drummond under the rim with a PF guarding him? I wouldn’t mind that actually.

• Dec 7, 201211:42 pm
    by Marshall

Tonight, I got the really awful feeling that Greg Monroe could become David Lee: a whole career putting up empty stats in a barren frontcourt and playing indifferent, gentle defense. I think most comparisons for draft picks and young players tend to be optimistic, but sometimes (especially in a game like this) you start thinking about “worst-case scenario” comparables.

• Dec 7, 201211:49 pm

To be fair, Lee is putting up good numbers on a team that is both playing well and playing solid defense this season in Golden State.

• Dec 8, 201212:22 am
      by Jon

also monroe doesn’t necessarily block shots a lot but he has gotten better at steals and he usually rebounds well. the last few games though, he has looked disinterested

• Dec 7, 201211:44 pm
    by Georgio

Singler I think is wearing down, the guard rotation should be expanded to four with English at the SG on the 2nd unit, also Magette needs to sit down and be replaced by Jonas or Austin. The 2nd unit should be Stuckey, English, CV, Jonas and Andre.

• Dec 7, 201211:48 pm

Yeah, dude is not used to chasing guys off screens non-stop. I don’t know that him getting big minutes at that position is sustainable.

• Dec 8, 20121:05 am
        by sebastian

Yeah, now you guys are seeing that Kyle Singler is indeed the second coming of Jud Buechler. Like, I have said before: Singler is an 8th or 9th-man at best on most team’s rosters.

• Dec 8, 201212:28 pm

Don’t get your comparison. Because they are both funny looking white dudes?

They’re not really comparable at all. Singler is putting up 10 points and 4 boards and shooting 43 percent from three this season. Buechler never touched that kind of production.

Singler has already shown that he’s a useful rotation player who can shoot, who can defend and who will rebound well for a wing. He’s just not a long-term answer as a shooting guard. But most everyone, the Pistons included probably, knew that when he entered the lineup.

Really don’t get the Singler backlash. He’s been a competent, solid contributor, and on this team, that’s a precious commodity considering how awful several of the players have been.

• Dec 8, 201212:43 am
      by Jon

singler isn’t fit to play sg. he’s not a good enough athlete. he should be backing up prince until we trade him and then starting. english should get a chance to start at sg since he’s a good shooter, has good size for the position and plays agressive defense. plus moving singler to sf puts out maggette out of the rotation

• Dec 7, 201211:50 pm
    by Mark

I thought Drummond was ok tonight. He wasn’t filling up the stat sheet individually, but his +/- was good all night.

If you look at the boxscore, we actually won or were even every qtr, except for the 3rd. Drummond played 1 min in the 3rd.

So while he didn’t really help a ton, he didn’t hurt us either. I would’ve given him a C for that reason, but I understand the B, because he did get to play 24 min, which is a succesful night for Drummond no matter how he plays.

• Dec 7, 201211:58 pm
    by ryan

I think it’s time to make Kyle Singler the primary back up at the two and the three and to let Rodney Stuckey start alongside Brandon Knight. Make them watch footage of Joe Dumars and Isiah Thomas and hopefully they’ll get the hint.

Also Corey Maggette should not play again this season. JJ, Kim English and even Kris Middleton deserve to play over him. Both Maggette and Villanueva should be out of the line up. I don’t care how well Charlie’s hitting we don’t want to win games with him because we’re not good enough and he’s not part of the future.

• Dec 8, 201212:05 am
      by Mark

Did you not see the first 10 games, with Stuckey/Knight starting together? You want to go back to that again after a couple bad games from Singler?

Stuckey is playing good because he’s finally in his natural role – combo scoring guard off the bench. You put him back in the starting lineup and you won’t get the same results. Our starting perimeter is fine. What needs to change next is Drummond moving into the lineup. We need to move forward, not go back to the same things that already proved to not work. We finally got Stuckey out of the starting lineup, which finally got Bynum out of the rotation altogether. Lets leave well enough alone, lol.

• Dec 8, 201212:21 am
        by sb3

Seriously.

• Dec 8, 20121:26 am
        by ryan

My point was that Kyle Singler’s not ideally suited to defending two guards at the NBA level and he’s getting exposed more and more lately. If we made him the primary back up at the two and three we’d still have him out there quite a bit but maybe be less exposed.

I’d also be interested to see what Kim English can do with the starting spot. I think Rodney Stuckey, English, Singler, Jerebko and Drummond could be a very good second unit.

• Dec 8, 201211:33 am
        by Lisa

I agree, Stuckey is doing well off the bench. Frank can bring him in at any point. Singler hasn’t play well lately, but this is his first year in the NBA. He’s a rookie and is getting minutes, isn’t that what everyone wants. I thought our bigs played bad last night, defense and rebounding, especially, Monore.
        I thought it was a fun game to watch and we were right in it, until the end of the forth.
        The good news,  Big Ben was in the house, he saw how poor the bigs were, maybe he’ll come back and help us.

• Dec 8, 201212:39 am
      by Lake Side Live

During the Bulls 14-2 run toward the end of the first half, Kelser commented how the Bulls were getting easy buckets in the paint because of setups that allowed their big men to slash to the basket.  Who’s at his most effective when he’s slashing to the basket? Jonas Jerebko.  Who wasn’t on the floor tonight Jonas Jerebko.

With the idea of pairing Knight and Stuckey in the starting front court together again  perhaps they wouldn’t duplicate the first 10 games if Rodney was the primary ball handler and knight played shooting guard.  Defensively it would allow Stuckey to regain his size advantage, and hopefully it would increase offensive effeciency with knight being able to concentrate on his shooting and also taking away the 3 ball from Stuckey.

All 21 games into the season and based on a rough estimate Monroe and Drummond have just played somewhere around 65-70 minutes out of 1008!  Unacceptable considering Monroe recommended the Pistons draft Drummond, which would indicate Monroe knew Drummond to be his best available counterpart, and so maybe he’s pissed he’s playing next to maxiell all this time.  It’s just a theory spun out of dissapointment.

• Dec 8, 201212:41 am
        by Lake Side Live

sorry meant monroe and drummond have played 65-70 minutes together out of a possible 1008

• Dec 8, 20125:54 am
          by Zekekhaseli

So sick

• Dec 8, 20126:06 am
          by Mark

Damn that really says it all. I believe that works out to be only 6% of season has Monroe/Drummond played together. You’d have a better odds of a Big Foot sighting than seeing those two together!

• Dec 8, 201212:14 am
    by Delray313

Good job pat i agree with everything you said. the grades were just right, and the bulls wanted it much much more. This game was a total waste we should have won this game but frank rolled a little too long with the wrong guys. Maggette really? i rather see daye or english or jj he is just taking valuable minutes away from our young guys. this could have been a good win thanx frank.

• Dec 8, 201212:24 am
    by Raphael

I don’t understand why Maggie is getting playing time when he has done little to show that he deserves it. I think the minutes he is getting at shooting guard and small forward should be split up between Kim English and singler.  Unfortunately we have a coach that can’t make the necessary adjustments in a timely fashion. How bad does this record have to get before he realize that he needs to revamp his plans?

• Dec 8, 201212:26 am
    by Desolation Row

I’ve only seen a handful of games this season… is Jerebko THAT BAD? When I’ve seen him, he wasn’t making shots but his hustle was always there…

• Dec 8, 201212:30 am

He was pretty bad. Not bad enough that I’d play Villanueva, but bad. It feels like Frank is trying to send some sort of message to him. He’s absolutely buried on the bench right now.

• Dec 8, 20126:01 am
        by Zekekhaseli

If only Frank can backed up his lesson by winning the games

• Dec 8, 201210:44 am
        by hirobeats

Idk Pat… He was pretty bad… I think Charlie V has been flat out outplaying JJ.

• Dec 8, 201212:24 pm

He has, I just mean that I was fine with benching Jerebko, I just wish it would’ve been to give more minutes to Drummond or Kravstov instead of Villanueva, since they have more of a future here than V does. Villanueva has been OK though.

• Dec 8, 201212:14 pm
        by Desolation Row

Agh.. I really thought he was going to develop into a good contributor. I hope the Pistons give him another chance. Haven’t been a fan of Maggette’s production or CV’s.

• Dec 8, 201212:31 am
    by Mark

The other thing, thats more on management, is that they need to be realistic about the team they’re building. While I’ve always thought the questions about Drummons motor were BS, I also don’t expect him to ever have a Ben Wallace motor. And I certainly don’t expect Monroe to be that. So if those are the players you are building around, you likely are not going win a championship by outworking opponents night in/out like past Pistons teams have reiled on.

So that said, you either need to find a coach who can will that effort out of his players night in/out, or a coach who can out-strategize his opponent in-game, night in/out through skill. Right now Frank has not shown much ability in either category, which is why I don’t think he’s the right fit for this team

• Dec 8, 201212:36 am
    by I HATE FRANK

if u actually look at the shot and compare the kind of shot the Bulls made vs Drummond

Vs what they made against Maxiel, Monroe and Charlie…

There’s a clear difference…

When Drummond was match up against Boozer, Boozer was strictly a jump shooter….yeah he made some…but against the other three he was getting his points in the paint…

Even with some of the rebounds Noah got it was more about Drummond not having any help…he cant be expected to defend the rim, and keep a great rebounder off the glass….

And YES! Frank was outcoached(AGAIN)…Because Tom NEVER went small to match up with Charlie v in the 2nd half…he stayed Big and Punished the Pistons on the boards….

So Drummond  played with effort…he made the bulls big more perimeter players on offense…he seriously challenged their shots…and stayed out of foul trouble… at the Half Drummond was a +10 ….

So im okay with Him getting a B

• Dec 8, 20126:07 am
      by Zekekhaseli

Well said I HATE FRANK. Its so funny when Frank decided to go zone defense after the starters back with two minutes to go. I sense Monroe is upset at the coach for not trying the Dre-Greg combo at the final minutes of the game.

• Dec 8, 20126:09 am
      by Mark

Agreed. Even when ppl score on Drummond, which is going to happen to every defender, they are always these tough, contorting shots. The type that if a player had to shoot 10x they probably make 3 of them. Thats the Drummond Effect. He’s not going to block every shot, but he damn near changes every shot.

• Dec 8, 201212:50 am
    by Fennis

We all know that Frank is a smart guy with the right priorities: defense, rebounding effort. So why is there a consensus that he isn’t maximizing his talent?

I think Frank’s primary problem is adjustments, as PH mentioned. But I keep asking myself why a relatively bright guy fails to make the timely adjustments necessary to win? Take tonight. The only thing keeping the Bulls in the game were offensive boards. They killed us on the boards between quarters 2-4. This was obvious to anyone with a bit of sense in his or her head. Why not play Monroe and Drummond together…for as long as you possibly can?

And PH, you’re right that Monroe was ineffective on the boards, but it’s because he played nearly all of his minutes at the 5 and could not outmuscle Noah. You put Monroe at the 4 and 285 lb Drummond at the 5, you win the rebounding war and I bet you’d win that game by 5 to 10.

Frank is evolving. Tonight he gave way to sanity and played Stuckey through the end of the game. Unfortunately, he stuck with Charlie V despite the fact that REBOUNDS were the only thing keeping the Bulls in the game. First, Charlie V cannot rebound so he shouldn’t play against a team whose lifeblood is offensive rebounding. Second, as important as it was for Frank to give Drummond more minutes tonight as he’s our best rebounder. Drummond’s tendency to make rookie mistakes was compounded by Charlie V’s tendency to make Charlie V mistakes. Charlie V essentially negated Drummond’s effectiveness as CV screwed up defensively on nearly every possession he was on the floor. This stuff is not that complicated. Don’t play the talented but accident-prone rookie with an epically bad defensive player as his front-court wingman.

And forget all of this effort blather. Yes, effort matters. But after 15 games we know the kind of effort this team gives, we know the effort ceiling. The best chance of improvement right now comes from in-game adjustments and rotation adjustment. When is the last game you felt that Frank’s rotation and the minutes distribution was tailored to counter the opposing teams strengths?

• Dec 8, 20121:28 am
    by Jodi Jezz

When are we going to get that bum Singer out of our starting line-up?..He makes our starters look weak…

• Dec 8, 201212:22 pm

Team with Singler starting: 6-7

Team without Singler starting: 0-8

• Dec 8, 201212:50 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

Pat we both know the reason we’ve been winning games because Knight has increased his scoring…There are also other players on our team that have increased there level of play…Singler doesn’t contribute at all…All he does is play “filler” until Stuckey name gets called…I can’t wait until Dumars makes a trade so we can send that guy to the bench…He’s an eye sore to our SL, no homo…

• Dec 8, 20121:06 pm

Didn’t you just lecture Dan and I for song lyrics that were excerpted here a couple weeks ago, and you are going to use an ignorant, idiotic phrase like ‘no homo’ in a comment? You should practice what you preach.

• Dec 8, 20122:02 pm
            by Jodi Jezz

Ha, OK Pat…I wouldn’t compare censoring a disrespectful racial word to the phrase “no homo”…And for the record, I’m not black, I just like to do things right…I think what’s ignorant is your love affection for a guy who’s a role player at best…You’re good at writing articles for the Pistons, but you apparently have no history of playing basketball…And with all due respect, you have a very limited eye for talent if you think Singler is the reason we’ve been playing .500 basketball lately…

• Dec 8, 20121:53 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Question…. Singler will not have speed or athletic ability on his side most night…so if his jumper isn’t falling…why does he never Post up? Isn’t that an advantage he would have?

Just saying …

• Dec 8, 201212:21 pm

He didn’t post up a ton in college either. When he’d catch the ball in the post at Duke, he was far more likely to turn and face up than try and post. Could just be something that’s not really in his skillset, although you’re right, it should be easier for him to post up with guards defending him.

• Dec 8, 20122:32 am
    by hirobeats

I’m also not completely sold on Kim English… I know everybody loves Kim English, and he’s a great person and all. and I’m sure he can shoot the blood, but honestly to me he doesn’t really past the eye test to be a Quality NBA SG. but then again, people said the same thing about Aaron Aflallo, and he’s pretty good now… So…

• Dec 8, 20123:02 am
      by Jon

what about him doesn’t work as a back up sg. he can shoot the ball, play agressive defense and has the height to match up with most other sg’s. he probably isn’t the athlete you would want as a starter but he should be getting a chance at playing since singler clearly isn’t able to play the 2

• Dec 8, 201210:49 am
        by hirobeats

Idk man, he just doesn’t look like he has “it”. Can’t put a finger on it… As some one who has played Organized ball at a high level, he reminds me of one of those “hard working coaches favorite types”. Which is fine, but those players typically don’t end up standing out… But, shit, I hope he proves me wrong!

• Dec 8, 201212:59 pm
          by D_S_V

Could the “it” be playing time? He hasn’t seen the floor except for garbage time for weeks now, and garbage time is not the time to be assessing a player.

• Dec 8, 201210:54 am
        by hirobeats

I also don’t know how clear it is that Singler can’t play SG.. before these past 2 games, he was a legitimate 2nd or third place Rookie of the Year Candidate.

• Dec 8, 20123:17 am
    by heWizard

I haven’t made my way through the comments, so apologies if this is a rehash.

While I agree that Moose hasn’t been playing his best ball lately, he certainly did not earn an F this evening. And if he did, it’s because he was put in a position to fail by his coach. I don’t recall Moose ever once receiving the ball in the low post. He was relegated to setting screens and occasionally receiving a pass in the high post. On defense, Noah was killing him, but who took his place? Charlie V., who, on his best night, is not half Monroe as a rebounder.

Even the best players in this game struggle. Moose is young. Moose is struggling. But Moose IS OUR BEST PLAYER, despite his recent skid. If you want to win, you find a way to keep your best players on the court and put them in a position to succeed. There is absolutely no reason (aside from picking up 3+ fouls in the first half or blowing a team out by 40) that he should play any less than 30 MPG. And though at this point I’m poking the dead kicked horse with a stick, keeping Moose and Drummond separated in the rotation is, in a word, buffoonery. Especially against 2 of the top 10 rebounders in the league this season. Chicago didn’t divide up their 2 best bigs. Why did we?

Lawrence Frank failed his team tonight. Moose can blame his ‘F’ on teacher.

• Dec 8, 201212:19 pm

“he certainly did not earn an F this evening. And if he did, it’s because he was put in a position to fail by his coach.”

Honestly, offense didn’t even factor into the equation when I wrote this. His performance on defense was one of his worst ever. He lacked energy, he lacked toughness and I simply expect more from a player who is, as you say, the team’s best player. He wasn’t into it last night and he’s had quite a few so-so performances recently. Frank is doing an awful job overall with this team, but Monroe has played for in over their head coaches his entire career and still been effective. Frank certainly earned his F too, but Monroe, as I wrote, was considered a comparable player production-wise to Noah coming into the season. It’s fine to expect better out of Monroe while also noting that the coaching remains bottom of the barrel.

• Dec 8, 20121:53 pm
        by heWizard

I agree that his defense and energy were lacking. But if you play Drummond with Moose, guess what happens? Moose is on Boozer and Bull is on Noah. Maybe it doesn’t make Moose a better defender, but it at least changes the look, puts a 7-foot shot blocker beside him, and put our two best rebounders on the floor to combat their two best rebounders. Additionally, if we accept that 30-23-6 is outrageous and rare, and we scale Moose’s production to 40 minutes, a 20-10 game would not have been unexpected and, again, is tough to be considered a failing grade, defense notwithstanding.

• Dec 8, 20124:24 am
    by DG

Drummond AND Monroe…Drummond AND Monroe…Drummond AND Monroe…

Lets see how other teams contend with that.  Come on Frank.  Pretty please.

On a night when Stuckey and Knight both play well the Pistons should win.  Oddly enough I think you are right about switching Stuckey and Knight’s roles although I might think about offensive and defensive switches where Stuckey plays the 1 on offense and the 2 on defense and vice versa.

Let Knight compliment Stuckey and Drummond compliment Monroe in the right way.  You might be on to something, Patrick.  Then all we need is a 3 that can expand the defense and brings that killer instinct.  Could Singler do that better than he plays the 2?

Frank are you reading?

• Dec 8, 20126:16 am
      by Mark

You have to think opponents coach’s are secretely laughing at Frank, and saying thank you for not making us have to deal with Monroe AND Drummond at the same time.

Because he might not realize it, but he’s doing the opposition a HUGE favor by not playing them together.

• Dec 8, 201210:24 am
        by DG

It’s interesting that when the backups are in the game for both teams the Pistons usually win or even dominate the matchups.  When the starters are in the game, especially in the third period, not so much.  I think it’s because the Pistons have a lot of players that are in that fringe 5-6 man level of talent which makes them better than the oppositions 7, 8 and 9th man.  The problem is that they don’t have that #1 level talent.

I think Monroe is proving himself to be a #2 or #3 guy based on his lack of drive to take over a game when it’s needed.  He’s too willing to defer.  It makes a nice second option, but not a star.  I don’t think Stuckey is a leader either.  He’s too inconsistent.  When he’s good, he looks like a viable #2 option.  When he’s not good, he looks like a 6th man at best.  Knight I think wants to be a leader, but doesn’t yet have #1 level NBA skills.  Right now he’s a #4 to #5 level option.  He may develop but nothing about his game or physical ability stands out and says I’m a #1 NBA talent.

Only Drummond might have #1 level physical talent.  He doesn’t have that level of skill yet, but has demonstrated a willingness to learn, which might get him there some day.  And that’s why Pistons fans want him to play more.  We can see the talent.

The biggest problem with having both of your best two talents (not necessarily players yet)  be big men, is that neither one of them dominates the ball.  The guards do.  Therefore you need more of a traditional style pass first point guard or at least teammates willing to make the extra pass and give up the ball for a better shot/dunk.

Neither of the Pistons two best guards are natural PGs.  Thus they are being forced to give up the ball, when it doesn’t come natural.  Not to say it can’t be done.  It just makes for a longer learning curve.  As fans, we are impatient.  We want wins now.

It makes me hope that the Pistons look for draft options along the lines of a Trey Burke.  Trey has improved his shooting percentage (3-point shot is up a little, too) a lot while dramatically increasing his assist numbers in less playing time for UofM.  It makes him look more like a traditional PG, but still having the ability to take over a game when he needs to scoring wise as well.  Or at least keep the defenses from sagging down on the big men too much.

Some people are starting to compare him to Chris Paul.  I don’t know about that yet, but I can see why they make that comparison.  His college numbers are even better than Paul’s were so far this year.  And I think that Michigan has more talent than Wake did when they had Paul.

I think adding Burke to Stuckey and Knight could make a nice three guard rotation.  i just don’t know that there is a fix for this year.

• Dec 8, 20125:08 am
    by Domnick

another wasted game… we shouldve won..
    i agree about frank’s slow adjustment… but overall… we are really humiliated by noah’s energy… he really got himself going and played tough against our frontline… he and boozer really gave us problems…
    monroe was really bad… bad in his last 5=6games… he is not shooting the ball well and not effective on defense… someone needs to yell and tell him to be more aggressive!
    maxiel.. yikes… hopeless! drummond needs to start ASAP!

• Dec 8, 20129:16 am
    by Vic

This game was won by the Bulls in the paint. It’s well documented that Monroe can’t defend centers. It’s well documented that Maxiell can’t defend mobile power forwards. It’s well documented that CV can’t defend. Drummind did very well considering it was his first time playing Noah. A good decision would be to play the Moose at PF and the Brahma Bull at center.if they did that for 20 minutes they would have won the game, especially sincE the guards were playing well.

Ive said this before, but as a player, when you are continually put in a position to fail, it’s demotivating. The Bulls are an All Front Court team that’s the only reason they still win… And we can’t put our best front court out for them?

• Dec 8, 201212:12 pm

“This game was not lost because of the players…  They played as well as you can expect to win, even to the end. It was the coach. ”

Nonsense. Yes, coaching is a significant factor. But to get absolutely bullied inside and not be critical of how soft the frontline played overall? Come on. Monroe is the team’s best player and a guy who will likely want max money when it’s time for an extension. He’s in his third season in the league, and he’s been primarily a center that whole time. He’s played against Noah before and not played that poorly defensively.

This is not a one or the other thing. The coach has issues. The players have issues.

• Dec 8, 20129:57 am
    by shawn brown

i was against the frank hiring all along and this game did nothing to change my mind. now to be fair there was nothing that frank could do about the effort or rather lack of effort the team played with…if the team really does want to get better they have to start taking things like the bulls beating them tonight personal.

yakkety noah is one ugly dude that plays some pretty basketball and as much as i hate the bulls and noah’s antics ..he is exactly the type of player the pistons really need right now.

someone mentioned doug collins in an earlier post..i think with the talent we have on the roster and there is some despite the poor record, i think collins would have this team playing much, much better.  i dont think frank understands matchups very well at all.

and i agree with everyone about magette.   when he comes into the game i cringe..whats the point?

and if there is one vet on the team id like them to re-sign its maxiell but games like this show why he should be coming off the bench at this point. he plays with hustle all the time but against bigger, skilled frontlines he is overmatched.

at this point what is a pistons fan to do?   i have been a diehard fan all of my life but this loss was very disturbing. you have an arch rival down by 17 and a chance to show people you might be turning the corner only to lose the game in the end.   i dont know what is worse. losing by 30 and being completely outplayed or a game like this.

i know that gores and company are trying to make the palace a destination with all the concerts ( if you want to call them that) and the other window dressing but what mattters most is the team you put on the floor.   if gores is serious about this open up the purse strings and let dumars do some real work at the trade deadline or in free agency when money becomes available.

• Dec 8, 201210:06 am
    by Corey

Frank adjusts way too slowly. In game and long-term rotation.

Singler or JJ should be the backup 3. Maggette shouldn’t play- or even dress.

Monroe is a PF and needs to play there. And work on his midrange J.

Drummond doesn’t yet know how to contest shots and box out/rebound on the same play. But he’ll learn. When he does, watch out NBA.

Stuckey should be the starting PG, with Knight backing him up and also playing SG. both still getting 30+ minutes. Experiment with SG- English, Middleton, even Tayshaun to open up min at SF for Singler or JJ. It Maggete if you must play him.

Stuckey gets assists, takes care of the ball, and doesn’t shoot 3′s well. Make him PG, and let Knight grow into it part-time.

• Dec 8, 201210:14 am
    by Nick S

“let dumars do some real work at the trade deadline or in free agency when money becomes available.”
    If Gores is serious about this He would fire Dumars who hasn’t made a good move since the Wallace deal.
    All Dumars cares about is that his boys (Maxiel and Prince) gets $ taken care of.    Thanks Joe its a blast being a Piston fan.

• Dec 8, 201211:05 am
    by rick

Frank is a garbage coach. We can do all the write ups we want but until we get a grizzled coach or someones top assistant we will be an image of our coach as a team. What coach plays his starters the entire third quarter against a team that is w/o it’s top player as well as shooting guard instead of throwing waves at them? No in game adjustments only a pattern of stubborness that reflects his ridgeness and unwillingness to adapt to what is going on in a game.

Now while I dont disagree very often with Patrick or Dan I think its egregious to always put it on the players especially tonight then how did the team had a 17 point lead with 5minutes to go in the first half?If they showed no effort in building that lead then I dont know what to tell you. The coach is responsible for getting maxium effort out of his players all while pushing the right buttons. The Bulls had to give effort to stay in the game because of their injuries. All Detroit had to was play their game, which they did for the most part based on their stats but where was the coaching?

• Dec 8, 201212:08 pm

“someones top assistant”

Isn’t that what Frank was?

Listen, as bad as Frank has been, he’s not the issue here. The underlying issue to all of this is Dumars and the mixed messages this team sends. Frank is not the first Pistons coach in recent years to have a weird rotation that excludes young prospects or doesn’t play them enough. It’s an organizational thing, not a Frank thing.

That being said, he still hasn’t done a good job in other areas, either. He adjusts slow, he’s been getting killed lately when he has a halftime lead and he’s limited the minutes of a guy who has been one of his top two or three players this year in Drummond. All bad decisions. But the playing time for young players thing was an issue under Saunders, Curry and Kuester. It makes me tend to think that it is a philosophy that starts above the coach.

• Dec 8, 201212:23 pm
        by rick

That is true Patrick but he is not one of the better assistants in the NBA from a strategic standpoint. If you surround him with a good coach then the little things he does will be evidnet, but when he is placed in teh same role look at who he has as is go between when thinsg arent working? Brian Hill, please. I think most of the coaching decisions have not all been on Dumars but with what the prospective coachs may have wanted in return. Too much uncertainty when the Curry hire too place and eveything since has been downhill. If Dumars wanted all veterans and only vets playing I would supect that he would draft all four year college players so I am not just ready to say that this is his fault.

I think Dumars is fine with being Gm and getting that recognizition rather than play puppet master with his coaches. Does not make him look good to the rest of the league and if you could show me ” What good coach was available that possibly would have come to Detroit after firing Curry”? (Im asking as a question). Frank is what he is and that is fine maybe in the work world but in the NBA, where in my opinion everyone has talent, its all about how the coaches mold guys into their roles as well as get them prepared for the 82 game grind.

Someone mentioned a game plan and I bet Frank never even had one. How not when the Bulls are missing most of their starting lineup?  We played a pretty good game offensively but still lost after coughing up a 17point lead and that is damning.  You take advantage of what the other team is lacking. Seems to me teams do it to when they are playing us so why cant we do the same thing?

• Dec 8, 20122:12 pm
        by bugsygod

It was the same under Carlisle as well, remember Prince didnt get any real time until the playoffs against Mcgrady. Michael Curry was the starter that year.  I actually think the playing of young players is only an issue now as we are rebuilding and need to play these young guys.  In the cases of Saunders & Curry we were pretty much a veteran team trying to win a championship, not a lot of room for young guys.  I believe most coaches, as has been frequently reported, generally give rookies/young players a steep learning curve to get minutes. Usually only the top of the top young guys get a ton of mintues.
        That being said….PLAY DRUMMOND WITH MONROE!  Hell it seems like we are a better team when Drummond is on the court!  Frank just said that winning trumps everything, but NOT playing Drummond is NOT trying to win.

• Dec 8, 201211:50 am
    by Fennis

So Im gonna beat this dead horse…

We’ve been talking about last night’s coaching errors in terms of in game adjustments and not in terms of gameplan, which is formulated before the game begins. Isnt it a gameplan that accounts for the bulls having one of the best rebounding front courts in the league that should have determined the rotation and minutes? Moreover, when is the last time we watched a Pistons game and said wow that was an excellent gameplan? Or the last time the players talked about executing or failing to execute the gameplan? I think the strategy problems with this team go beyond in game adjustments.

• Dec 8, 201212:04 pm

“ Moreover, when is the last time we watched a Pistons game and said wow that was an excellent gameplan?”

It has happened since Brown or Carlisle, that’s for sure. And before those two, it hadn’t happened since Daly.

• Dec 8, 201212:05 pm
    by robert

I dont like the fact that frank refuses to play drummond and monroe together, play the players that give you the best chance of winning, enough of this you have to earn your minutes and all this other crap, I dont think Noah would have put up those kind of numbers with moose and drum out there most of the game!

• Dec 8, 201212:05 pm
    by Corey

Good comment about the pistons having a lot of rotation caliber players but no stars. And the way a team like that wins is going ten deep and running people off the floor with constant maximum effort. Too bad we don’t do that- it would also help develop more players and make them better trade assets.

• Dec 8, 20122:03 pm
    by bugsygod

Coach was slow to adjust as usual.  Drummond is now stealing Monroes minutes instead of Maxiel.  Drummond still did not play one minute with Monroe all night while we were getting Hammered by Noah/Boozer.  Noah BEASTED our entire front line.  Leave Stuckey where he is at an let him be productive, this may finally be his optimal role.  Singler looks tired, but keep starting him and let him fight through.  Monroe seems a little frustated with the coach lately and being pulled for defense, instead of just playing the Good defensive guy Drummond with him.  Get a road win in Cleveland tonight!  —- short, clear and consise.

• Dec 8, 20122:05 pm
    by piston moribund

Actually its not even about stars, it about leaders.  There are no leaders on the team.  No one on the teams has that quality.  They should just cut “I suck rocks” Corey and sign Ben.  Its not Frank, Its not Moose, its not BK7, its not Stuck, and its most certainly not Prince.  There is no one with any kind of authority or can garner that kind of respect that people will naturally want to follow.  You know you have a problem when Corey Hyman has to gather the troops in a narcissistic and cringe worthy moment on center court after a blow out win for a WTF?  No leader from the front office, coach or owner.  Its quite obvious that Mr. D was the only true leader.  There is probably no one I miss more on the team then Mr. D.

• Dec 8, 20122:35 pm
    by kamal

Monroe is getting screwed by Frank.  Monroe had a pretty solid first quarter, 7 points, 4 boards.  But he sat him for a full 12 minutes from the last 2:30 of the first to the last 2:30 of the second.  And don’t act like Noah was killing him in the first quarter because he only had 4 points and 3 boards in the time that Monroe was in the game.

Monroe should’ve been taking it to Noah, forcing him to play D and risking getting him in foul trouble.  Instead, our guards and wings played one on one.  They had a phenomenal game, points wise, but they didn’t play a smart game.  I saw a switch in which Monroe had Deng in the post and I think Tayshaun shot it and missed.

Monroe is being wasted setting picks 30 feet out.  He needs to get the ball in the post instead of trying to out leg players from the top of the key.

I know he misses bunnies ad gets his shot blocked far more than any 7 footer I’ve seen.  But I’d rather see him attempt to go HAM in the first and see if Monroe has it than getting our guards off early.

And if Monroe is struggling defending a big, send in Drummond.  Or start him when we play a big strong center like Gasol.  Poppavich did it when they played the Lakers.  Splitter started instead of Diaw.  He put them in the best position to win.  The next game with a smaller front line, Splitter went right back to the bench.  You play to win the game.

• Dec 8, 20122:51 pm
    by Scott Free

So what has Monroe’s problem been anyways?  Is this a slump or should we start revising our expectations of what he can contribute?