Pistons definitely aren’t having a youth movement, because, if they were, they’d warn everyone first

David Mayo of MLive:

The Detroit Pistons are using the player groupings they think give them the best chance to win. But at 9-21, when might that change to a youth movement?

The answer appears to be not yet, and doing so would require a meeting of the minds that hasn’t occurred, head coach Lawrence Frank said.

"That would be an organizational move," Frank said. "We haven’t even discussed that. But that’s an organization decision."

"If you were to get in a mode where all you’re going to do is play your youth, you need to be very transparent about it," he said. "For us, we’re playing the guys that we think give us the best chance, whether young, veteran, regardless. Like I said, we haven’t even had a discussion about that (but) you’d be very transparent about it."

Honestly, I’m surprised Lawrence Frank even accepted the premise of the question. He’s usually so insistent about always playing to win in the present, I figured he’d never acknowledge the Pistons would even consider discussing the idea of a youth movement. So, I guess this is a sign of progress.

For what it’s worth, the Pistons have the NBA’s 10th-youngest team weighted for playing time.

• Dec 28, 201212:15 pm
    by RobG

Honestly, this is one of the most frustrating arguments we always hear.  Monroe, Drummond, Knight and Singler are all playing meaningful minutes, so what is the problem?

I don’t ever remember a time when a group of 21 year olds went out and dominated the NBA.  We hear about the Thunder, but there is not a Durrant or Westbrook on this team, so its a failed argument.  The only true model I have seen work is to have all-star to superstar talent and to surround that talent with good cheap role players, whether they are young or old.

So if people think that Kim English, Khris Middleton, and Austin Daye will change the fortune of this franchise, have fun with that.

• Dec 28, 20121:53 pm
      by rick

Thank You so very much for that comment. It pains me when I read some of the responses about why this guy is playing over that guy. At least you know or at least see how the NBA works and that this is not some glorified Rec Team. My problem with all the Monday Morning quarterbacks is the main reason Detroit sucks and noone seems to want to openly acknowledge is the fact we have no expereinced point guard and it shows, game in and game out. Let them tell it guys like Charlie V and Tayshaun or Maxiel is the problem but it just isnt true. I bet all three of them would be good fits on any team contending depending on who signs and what the role is. I get frustrated at folks who are made at the state of team and instead of stating that, hate on the guys as if they just slept with their wife. At the end of the day coaches coach and players play. Why am I mad at Maxiel for playing twenty minutes when the coach is the one who put him in the game.

• Dec 28, 201212:33 pm
    by ryan

It isn’t that people think those guys will change the future of the franchise it is that they know that Corey Maggette, Charlie Villanueva, Will Bynum and Jason Maxiell have no future with the franchise. It is that people know that these guys aren’t the type of guys that play on winning teams (Maxiell could as a 9th man probably) and yet they’re getting run ahead of guys who may or may not have something to offer.

I’m in favor of getting Kyle Singler back to playing forward and I’d like us to do that by working Kim English and Khris Middleton in at two guard. This way Singler could play his more natural position and we could see what these kids have got. It’s not as if we’re winning doing it Lawrence Frank’s way so why not be sure that we’re at least committed to developing the players who’ll be here next year or the year after.

My position is that Austin Daye, Charlie Villanueva, Will Bynum, Corey Maggette and Jason Maxiell should all be on the trading block and anything we do with them should be about upping their trade value or keeping them from getting in anyone’s way developmentally.

If they’re still here after the trade deadline that’ll be shame but at that point I would shut them down permanently. I’d start Prince, Drummond and Monroe up front with Knight and English at the guards. Then I’d come off the bench with Kravtsov, Jerebko and Singler (the ghostly trio) and Rodney Stuckey and Khris Middleton in the back court.

I don’t think we’d be worse overall than we are now and we’d be developing our younger guys. It’s just smart strategic decision making.

• Dec 28, 20121:36 pm
      by RobG

I understand what you are saying, but we also aren’t privy to practice information or even how often players completely botch the plays that the coach is calling for.  Whether or not certain guys are part of the future of the team, I think its better that core guys play with people that are talking on the floor, doing as the coach asks and teach.  I am not sure what goes on, but as a coach, I sure wouldn’t want to have to rely on a bunch of 21 and 22 year olds all the time.

• Dec 28, 20121:26 pm
    by Domnick

We need to start with trades before deciding whether its youth or win-now mode…. I think we’re gonna have it before deadline

• Dec 28, 20124:02 pm
    by revken

I like how “frank” the coach was about answering the question.  It makes sense.  If I’m a coach, I’m getting paid to win games first of all.  So if the organization says to me, “Look, we can tell this team doesn’t have a shot at the playoffs, so we want you to maximize the development of the young guys so we can better evaluate what we need to add next year,” then I’ll take that route.  Otherwise, wins come first.  Now if by the All Star break we still have one of the 5 worst records in the league, I think it’s time to start Drummond at center, back him up with Kravtsov, and give English and Middleton some minutes, too.

• Dec 28, 20126:03 pm
    by gmehl

I take Franks reply to the question as him deflecting it through to Dumars. Frank deep down knows he is on a sinking ship with which he is the captain of.

• Dec 29, 201212:56 pm
      by Chris

Here is my two cents on everything.

Starting Line up
      BK (PG)
      Stuckey/Prince (SG)
      Singler (SF)
      Moose (PF)
      Drummond (C)

Singlers more of a shooter then stuckey being he’s a natural 3 shooter

Back up I would have

Bynum (PG)
      Prince/Stuckey (SG)
      Magette/Daye (SF)
      Charlie V (PF)
      Maxiell (C)

I think rotating english, Kravtsov, Middleton in with the second team would be a good move but having them develop more in the D league isn’t a bad idea either…

Like I said everyones got their own opinion this is what i think would be a good line up. we do need to make some trades soon though, possabily trading Daye or english. We’re at least two years away from being a playoff contender. I have faith in the future of the team though.