Next stop: Brooklyn

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (7-17) at Brooklyn Nets (12-9)
  • Date: December 14, 2012
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

The Brooklyn Nets finally got back to their winning ways on Wednesday night after defeating the Raptors in Toronto. Prior to their victory against the Raps, the Nets had been struggling to win games as evidenced by a five-game losing streak.

Granted, it’s worth noting that some of those losses came against some of the stiffest competition in the league: at Miami, versus Oklahoma City, Golden State, Milwaukee and New York.

The Nets are actually a good basketball club, but injuries to key players have hurt them to some degree.

On paper, one would believe that the Nets have perhaps one of the top three backcourts in the league with Deron Williams and Joe Johnson. Both are good scorers, decent post up options and solid playmakers; thus they have the ability to control games from the opening tip.

Mind you, no team has ever been a legit championship contender simply on the strength of their guard play, but that’s how Nets view themselves to some extent thanks in large part to their big money roster that centers around the talents of Brook Lopez.

Although he has been out of the lineup as of late due to injury, he is scheduled to make his return tonight against the Pistons and it’s interesting to see if he will be the player that he was for Brooklyn prior to the injury.

Through 14 games played so far this season, the Stanford product is sporting a career high PER of 23.6.

The improvements in his production this season have been subtle but present nonetheless. He has improved his rebounding rate (second best of his career), cut down on his turnovers and improved his shooting percentages by reducing his amount of long-range shots in favor of taking the most shots of his career on average at the rim.

Not only is Lopez getting more looks near the basket, but he is also converting a career high 72.7 percent of his shots at the basket according to Hoopdata.

Some are torn on whether the Brooklyn Nets can challenge the Knicks for the rights to battle the Miami Heat for the Eastern Conference crown, but any discussion on that focuses on that very topic must revolve around Brook Lopez.

The big man is the key to it all, and tonight the Pistons will get their first look at the Nets on the hardwood.

Considering that Lopez was suffering from a foot injury, one would have to think that he will see limited action, but his impact on the game should be felt regardless.

Read about the Nets

The Brooklyn Game.

• Dec 14, 20127:14 pm

POP QUIZ!

Who is our BEST ROAD WARRIOR?

• Dec 15, 20123:48 pm
      by T Casey

I’m going with Knight. He’s been putting the offensive load on his back quite a bit lately and scoring well even away. His mental toughness there is really impressing me.

• Dec 14, 20128:06 pm

Did the Pistons just close a quarter well? Not used to seeing that.

• Dec 14, 20128:19 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

we have no reason playing zone defense…against this line up right now

• Dec 14, 20128:30 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Does anyone else see how horrible this defense is?

The ball was on the other side of the floor why is Stuckey leaving D.Will open to double?

We are chase the ball like madmen leaving shooter open, we’d be better off just playing man to man…

I dont get it , I really dont

• Dec 14, 20128:33 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Double Collapse on REGGIE EVANS? WHY OF PERIMETER DEFENDERS LEAVING SHOOTER OPEN?

• Dec 14, 20128:37 pm
    by MNM

Monroe is pretty good at turning the ball over, thats for sure.

• Dec 14, 20128:39 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Watching the NJ broadcast here in NY …..  The NJ commentator just said he thought Drumond had the best upside and potential of anyone in the draft .. Just wish JD and Franko saw it as well. The starting team is very weak…. BK has some juice, Monroe overrated till he can hit the 10-15 footer at a really high rate  ( his jumper is weak) … Dru compliments Stuckey and CV because they can score with the ball but it is doing NOTHING to help develop Dru’s offense because they never give him the ball or even an allyoop.  The first team needs his energy badly …Monroe can get him some shots… but they will need shooter to hit shots with them from the outside …..     So clear Franko benches Dru and the first team comes back in and the Nets go on a roll….

• Dec 14, 20128:42 pm
    by Curtis

This isn’t news… But the Pistons look so much worse when Drummond is not on the floor.

• Dec 14, 20128:48 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Drummond in the game … the score is 38-40 Nets….

Drummond Leaves the game Nets go on a 17-2 Runs…..

8 minutes …4pts …. 5 rebs 4 offensive…1 blk …playing good defense

Maxiell 15 minutes 4pts ZERO REBOUNDS! ……

Thats ALL COACHING!… Frank is a damn robot! No feel for the flow of the game

• Dec 14, 20129:03 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

They have Evens (board monster) and Lopes in the game. We have Monroe and Max….  I going to start calling the Pistons 4 1/2 men …  We just look a half man short … People just go over us or reach balls faster …  I think by accident or foul necessity that Monroe and Dru would be on the floor together more then Frank will play them together …  Seems his is out to prove some academic point in his STUBBORN head.

• Dec 14, 20129:23 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

holy crap! we won a 3rd qrt!!!!

• Dec 14, 20129:28 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Here is what i see talent wise: (I’ll go 2 deep)

Guards .. Knight can be a winner not sure he a point guard, Stuckey clearly scorer OFF the bench. That means we nee one really good pure point. and one shooter …   Not sure who they are but saw enough of Will B to know that he is not the answer and have not seen enough of Kim English to know if he is the answer at the shooter (must defend as well). (AA would have been a  perfect fit)     At Center and power forward we have two guys with lots of upside. Dru makes mistakes but what he does do right is SO right meaning he has real deal pro capabilities.  MUST get what ever he needs to be to become a great player!  Monroe great old school player, more PF grounded space eater with low post moves BUT really needs to be able to nail the 15 footer. Has the kind of game that ages well.. behind them: Max back up PF but only if he plays full tilt. has to make up for lack of HT reach with 110% energy …the rest not so good… I don’t know about the Euro Center enough to say but other than CV as a end of bench shooter..   JJ lost between positions Daye just lost  So we really still need to find 2 more bigs. Small forward .. is a problem all we have is back ups .. Prince should have been traded to a contender where is skill could be put to use without needed to much energy  Singler is a SF but more handyman … definitely not a 2  just not quick enough .. and he should be the back up to a REAL deal small forward .. Lots of work to do…

• Dec 14, 20129:31 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Can’t believe my eyes .. Monroe and Dru on the court together for a stretch   Looked great for the few minute he had them together

• Dec 14, 20129:38 pm

I really Hope Frank does not Bench Drummond

• Dec 14, 20129:42 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

IM DONE!!!!!! WHY BENCH DRUMMOND!!!! WE LOSE DEFENSE AND REBOUNDING!!!

• Dec 14, 20129:47 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

HE’s a idiot ..  takes out what working and puts in what not (max)

• Dec 14, 20129:48 pm

Was Maxiell not on the court a huge chunk of the third quarter when the Pistons erased a 12 point deficit?

Drummond has been great, but Maxiell’s defense on Lopez has been good too.

• Dec 14, 20129:54 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I agree… But Lopez wasnt doing anything against Drummond either…and Maxiell had a nice 3rd…but Drummond was better…on the boards….and protecting the rim…as soon as Drummond goes to the bench…they attack the rim

• Dec 14, 20129:55 pm

Drummond has definitely been better, I was just pointing out that it wasn’t some egregious crime that Maxiell was in there. He’s had a good second half too and was on the court when the Pistons made their run in the third.

• Dec 14, 201210:02 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

true…I just felt like the Pistons had a defensive rhythm going with The line up they had

• Dec 14, 20129:50 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

nice play attacking monroe ….an assertive move

• Dec 14, 20129:53 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

so stupid .. Monroe seems to love the hi post. His left drive catches people of guard . if Dru was on the right block it be money every time

• Dec 14, 20129:56 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Knight should have had the ball in ISO!…

• Dec 14, 20129:58 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Hindsight: Drummond should have been in that game for Defense and rebound

• Dec 14, 20129:59 pm
    by jinzzy

come on tay box out shit

• Dec 14, 201210:05 pm

He doubled Johnson, no one rotated to Wallace. Just a tough play, but not really anyone’s fault. Prince helped and forced the miss, which was the right play. That was a long way for Knight to try and rotate to get a body on Crash.

• Dec 14, 20129:59 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Wallace just goes right over max   WHY want Dru in the game !!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Dec 14, 201210:02 pm

Drummond should’ve been in the game. But blocking out Wallace wasn’t exactly Maxiell’s responsibility, considering Wallace came from the opposite side of the court. Prince helped on Johnson and no one (I believe Knight was closest) rotated over to get a body on Wallace.

It was an unfortunate play, and perhaps Drummond’s height would’ve bothered Wallace getting to that ball more, but it wouldn’t have exactly been an easy play for him if you subbed him for where Maxiell and his man were set up.

• Dec 14, 201210:00 pm
    by jinzzy

come on tay box out

• Dec 14, 201210:08 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Hey.. the Net Tallest Front court player is Wallace at 6’8 … ..Just saying Perfect time to go big… thats all im done

• Dec 14, 201210:15 pm

Monroe has too shoot that jumper! Make or Miss

• Dec 14, 201210:16 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

kind bother me that Monroe cant post up Evans…

BTW: Nets have the BEST MUSIC IN THE NBA!

• Dec 14, 201210:18 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

D.Will – You will receive a call for Flopping!

• Dec 14, 201210:18 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

AGAIN WHERE IS DRUMMOND! for Defense and REBOUNDING? WALLACE AGAIN!!!!

• Dec 14, 201210:21 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Stuckey turn…Bring in all your Shooters and Drummond for a tap out

• Dec 14, 201210:22 pm
    by Corey

Stuck has been really good in OT. Glad to see he’s an NBA player again. Used to love him, but now starting to hope for a trade before another poor/inconsistent streak hits.

• Dec 14, 201210:24 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Stuckey and Knight did the say move…. I felt like they both could have got better shots

• Dec 15, 20123:51 pm
      by T Casey

I was thinking the same thing. Right foot step backs for right handed shooters is about as low percentage and iso move as it gets. It’s kinda wierd that they both opted to go to the same move, and both shot it early at that. I did like that they drew up a play for the last shot in the 2nd OT, but I wish we would’ve had one drawn up in the previous too situations.

• Dec 14, 201210:27 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

REBOUNDING!!! we are trying to Give this game away….

• Dec 14, 201210:34 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Monroe you have a SIZE ADVANTAGE!!!! Take you time and get the shot you want!!!!

• Dec 14, 201210:38 pm

monroe choked

• Dec 14, 201210:40 pm
    by jinzzy

another case of lebron syndrome lol

• Dec 14, 201210:45 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I knew that was gonna happen….

• Dec 14, 201210:45 pm
    by jinzzy

buckets !!!!

• Dec 14, 201210:48 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

you have to question …. Not switch defense for offense…. Plenty of times Drummond could have been subbed and could have changed this game…

Nets when extremely small with Reggie Evans playing Center…and Wallace at PF

Horrible coaching… but its Predictable… its what happens game after game

• Dec 14, 201210:51 pm
    by George

We would have won this game if Drummond played more in OT. Seriously, how many O-Reb/2nd chances did the Nets get?  Bless his heart, but Maxell is too small and gets manhandled in the post.  He gets his blocks because I think most players don’t expect him to get their shots.

I am officially on the Fire Frank bandwagon…or Joe if it is on his directive to not play Drummond.  We should have won this game in regulation.

• Dec 14, 201210:55 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

forget  what Drummond did…

Maxiell 38 minutes 2 rebs…

Reggie Evans 34 mins 10 rebs

Gerald Wallace Clutch rebs late in the game…

Frank was being Stubborn…..cost us a game

• Dec 14, 201210:57 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

monroe choked with ft’s….

I’d trade Monroe for Josh Smith

• Dec 14, 201211:00 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Drummond 18 mins 8pts 9rebs 3blk….

He altered soo many shots…and he made the Net a jump shooting team….

its upsetting that other people seem to value what Drummond can do more than our own coach… I dont want to hear about PROJECT! or DEVELOP SLOWLY!

• Dec 15, 201212:23 am
    by Mark

Exciting game beginning to end. Can’t blame Frank too much, though. Monroe gagged his free throws. Needed Drummond more, Maxiell less.