Kyle Singler’s insertion into starting lineup has Detroit’s offensive efficiency way up

Not that anyone (well, maybe on person) wouldn’t have predicted as much simply by watching, but Kyle Singler has had a significant impact on Detroit’s offense since he moved into the starting lineup for the Pistons. Zach Lowe of Grantland has the specific numbers that back that up:

Detroit is 6-5 since moving Singler into Rodney Stuckey’s starting role, and though the change hasn’t turned the Pistons into a white-hot scoring machine, it has helped. Detroit’s new starting lineup has scored 102.1 points per 100 possession so far, a mark that would rank 12th in the league. The old lineup, devoid of any long-range shooting, is scoring a sub-Wizards 88.8 points per 100 possessions, and this new group at least looks likes an NBA-level offense. There’s more impactful off-ball movement, a bit more space on the floor, more dribble handoffs, and a level of dynamism that wasn’t there before. It’s not much, especially as Brandon Knight continues to have control and turnover issues, but it’s a start.

Also, if you’re not reading Lowe’s columns on Grantland yet, you’re missing out. Not only is he a great writer, he’s one of the few national writers out there who consistently pays attention to and mentions the Pistons in his work.

• Dec 4, 20125:48 pm
    by Zach

I loved Lowe’s stuff on SI.com’s NBA blog the last couple of seasons, so I thought it was a major coup for Grantland to get him. Knows his stuff and knows how to communicate it, too (like Andy Staples in the college b-ball realm)

• Dec 4, 20127:17 pm
    by Vic

Love Singler, he’s part of the Pistons championship future, maybe even starting SF. He makes next years draft easier – best big or guard available. 1/2, 4/5. We can plug the most talented player in.

• Dec 4, 20128:35 pm
    by MNM

side note: how pissed would you be to be a member of the New Orleans Pelicans heading into the 2014 season?

• Dec 4, 20129:42 pm
    by Mateo

Yeah, I think he will become a really good player. I live in Portland, heard about his game in high school. He was a senior the same time K Love was, they played against each other for the state title. I guess Love took the high road for obvious reasons, Singler has had a longer journey, but he will make his mark. I hope he wants to stay with us after his rookie contract is up. Probably depends on a few things, like winning. He is a winner. He has state and college championships under his belt.

• Dec 4, 201210:13 pm
    by Victor

I’ve been a fan of Singler since Duke. Really think he’s a part of Pistons future hopefuly as contenders. I think Tayshaun is doing a decent job as well, but i don’t see him in the long term. So, to give more space to Singler and to get Jerebko back in the rotation, I came up with this joke:

Lakers revive Nash-Stoudemire-Dantoni combo. With Kobe and D12 this time. Tay would provide depth.
    Knicks get a 6th man of the year candidate to sum up with their impressive start.
    Pistons get even more cap space for next year and good defensive guard Iman Shumpert (maybe too much of a  Stuckey’s replica). And no… Idon’t know what could we do with Thomas, Odom and Sacre’s contracts.

• Dec 5, 20125:14 am
      by Vince

Shumpert is so much better than Stuckey! His defensive skills are off the charts, he is ridiculously athletic and has a smoove J. That being said its a good trade, although I doubt the Knicks will deal Shump. I’m actually a fan of Sacre, I wouldn’t mind extending his contract, Odom comes off the books at the end of the season, and we can either waive or deal Thomas to a contender or whoever will take him. Great trade for all those involved, although more so for the Pistons and Lakers than Knicks. If I were a Joe D, I’d take it.

• Dec 5, 20127:52 am
        by Victor

I also think Shumpert is the one thing that would make the Knicks reject the deal. Maybe if they got a pick… I don’t know…

When I say that i don’t know about those three contracts, it’s because we already have a 15-player roster.

Anyway, it’s just an idea. Maybe a foolish one.

• Dec 5, 201210:47 am

Seriously guys? There is no way the Knicks would turn down a chance to swap Amare for Pau, Shump or no Shump. I just doubt the Lakers would go for it. Gasol is a much better two-way player than Stoudemire.

• Dec 5, 201212:21 pm
          by Victor

You’ve got a point. Pau is the better all-around player.

My (maybe flawed) reasoning is:

- Mitch Kupchak is believed to be shopping Gasol. I don’t see a better fit in D’Antoni’s scheme than Stoudemire. Lakers would still add Tay providing much needed depth – and I guess Tay would be fine being a 6th man playing for a contender. Stoudemire has his defensive shortcomings, but playing with D12 should help.

- Knickerbockers don’t know what to do with Amare once he comes back. Getting Pau would be great as you pointed, but he’s not getting any younger. So, is it worth loosing a young, defensive-minded PG? My first guess is: yes. But maybe they don’t think the same way.

Just dreaming guys… sorry, but I had to share…

• Dec 5, 20127:08 pm

It’s true that D’Antoni is criminally underusing Pau. But I just don’t see them trading him for lesser talent. They are the team that pulls off highway robbery, not the one that is victimized usually. But it would be great if the three GMs got on the phone and started with an idea like that.

• Dec 5, 20128:36 am
    by @GPMasters

Lowe is the best national writer, bar none…

• Dec 5, 20128:38 am
    by @GPMasters

Oh and just to get back on topic – what suddenly turned Kyle into a 2 ? I’m sure he was never mentioned as an option there at any point up until the day he was named in the starting lineup?

• Dec 5, 20129:14 am

Yeah, he’d played there a bit off the bench before moving into the starting lineup, but heading into the season, there were questions about whether or not he could play the three at the NBA level, let alone the two.

• Dec 5, 201211:17 am
    by Shaun

What everone is sweeping under the rug is how well the offense runs with Stuckey at point. He is the best point guard On the team yet he doesnt start. The only I like about it is he gets to play more with Drummond then Knight.

• Dec 5, 201212:00 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

The offense wasn’t working when Stuckey was starting.  He seems to play better with the bench players against opposing teams bench players.  I think Prince would also improve his play in the same roll. Both of them like to take a lot of shots, which if fine for a back-ups role, but not when it’s taking away from other starters shots.

• Dec 5, 20121:43 pm
        by Stuckey and Whoever

Stuckey has to be the point guard because no one else can create for the teamates.  Knight can but chooses to be a score first guard.  Do you no how many shots stuckey is taking this year???  He is not taking a lot of shots..and prince is making shots.  Singler is shooting well but that stat does not do any justice.

• Dec 5, 201212:01 pm
      by Desolation Row

Sweeping under the rug? Pretty sure this has been mentioned every single time the PistonPowered guys post their postgame grades.

• Dec 5, 20121:45 pm
    by Stuckey and Whoever

Singlers shoots well, but that doesn’t make the rest of the team play better.

• Dec 5, 20127:11 pm

“Franks” and now “Singlers”? Come on guys, you’re better than this. Do you also talk about going to “Meijers”?

• Dec 5, 20121:47 pm
    by sebastian

You know, there has been much discussion, here, and at other Pistons boards that OUR squad need a back-up PG. One player comes to mind that I have read about favorably here and elsewhere.
    That player is Nolan Smith (PG) with the Trailblazers. How’s about swapping one former Duke teammate for another: Singler for Smith.

• Dec 5, 20122:20 pm

Is that a serious suggestion? I’m speechless … you want to trade a dude who is going to make the all-rookie team for Smith, a combo guard who is shooting 37 percent (27 percent from three) for his career and has a turnover rate higher than Brandon Knight? How, exactly would that help the team’s point guard situation? How would that help the team at all? I’m used to commenters suggesting ridiculously one-sided trades that favor the Pistons. Ridiculously one-sided deals that favor the other team are new for me though.

• Dec 5, 20122:43 pm
        by Victor

• Dec 5, 20122:44 pm

Now that’s a PistonPowered comments trade!

• Dec 5, 20123:55 pm
            by sebastian

Victor and Patrick you guys have got to be joking. The trade proposal that I submitted is more realistic than the one that Victor has submitted and Patrick has endorsed.
            Be for real! A future All-Star (Kyrie Irving) for a 10-year veteran (Tay), who has never sniffed an All-Star game as a participant.
            Yes, Singler has hit a few shots during this early part of the season, but he will only become the second coming of Jud Buechler.

• Dec 5, 20124:40 pm

Victor’s trade proposal was an obvious joke. The fact that yours wasn’t is the sad part.

I don’t know what Kyle Singler will become. I do know that right now he’s insanely better than Nolan Smith has ever been at any point in his career. Singler has a skill that the Pistons need, plus he’s solid defensively. You still have not explained how any part of Smith’s skillset would benefit the Pistons. The dude has done literally nothing positive on the court as a NBA player. He doesn’t shoot well, he doesn’t pass well and he turns it over a lot. Yeah, sign me up!

• Dec 5, 20124:55 pm
            by Matt

I like the fact that it makes both teams worse (at least according to the Trade Machine).

Any thoughts on how Victor’s suggested trade makes the Pistons worse? Is it just that they’d have to give more SF minutes to Jerebko/Maggette, who haven’t really produced much this season? Or am I missing something?

• Dec 5, 20124:59 pm

Yeah, that would be my guess. The ‘analysis’ is only based on Hollinger’s stats and not actual real life value, so I would guess the drop-off from Prince to his backups in PER this season would have a greater statistical impact than the gain in an increase in PER from Irving over Knight. I honestly don’t really know how the trade machine analysis works though.

• Apr 9, 201311:54 pm
    by Danilo Fenn

I am often to blogging and i actually recognize your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for brand new information.