Granting holiday wishes for the Pistons

Ian Levy at Hickory High put together his annual post polling writers from every NBA team about what they’d wish for for their team if one holiday wish could come true. I think it’s pretty obvious what Ben Gulker of Detroit Bad Boys and I wished for — more minutes for Austin Daye! And that wish came true! You’re welcome, everyone. Thank Ben and I for having our fingers on the pulse of what every Piston fan wants in the comments. And everyone make sure to continue thanking Lawrence Frank.

No but seriously, we both just used it as another opportunity to beg and plead for minutes for Andre Drummond:

Patrick Hayes – Piston Powered – @Patrick_Hayes - The Pistons are currently playing former power forward Kyle Singler at shooting guard because the team is in such desperate need of a competent 3-point shooter on the floor, they have no real long-term answer at small forward to eventually replace Tayshaun Prince and, I’m sure, many Pistons fans would ask for a replacement coach for Lawrence Frank, one who would — it seems crazy, I know — actually play the young players on a rebuilding team rather than limited veterans. But I’ll make this easy on Frank. I’ll just turn to Andre Claus and his helper Elf to request the gift of more minutes for prized rookie big man Andre Drummond. Drummond is far more advanced than even his most hopeful predraft proponents expected, and he’s earned a bigger role with the Pistons based on his production than the one they’ve entrusted him with.

Ben Gulker – Pistons By The Numbers | Detroit Bad Boys – @BRGulker - I wish that Andre Drummond played as much as he deserves. He’s rather quietly putting together a brilliant rookie campaign, doing all the things that teams need big men to do. He spent most of the first 20 games playing fewer than 20 minutes a night, while older, less-productive players got starter’s minutes. Free Andre Drummond!

And make sure to check out Ian’s full post and the wishes for other teams from their writers. It’s one of my favorite NBA posts each year.

• Dec 20, 20125:22 pm
    by Venice

i really think that drummond can enter the all rookie first team…..if only he can get some playing time…

• Dec 21, 201210:19 am

With 25-30 mpg, he should be right there with Davis and Lillard for ROY.

• Dec 20, 20125:32 pm
    by Brigs

That’s gonna happen either way by next year. my wish would be for joe d trade Charlie v and Austin daye. There’s gotta be at least one team that would take one or both of them for 1st rounder

• Dec 21, 201211:55 am
      by Jordan Smith

You’re nuts

• Dec 21, 20127:07 pm

No, there really doesn’t gotta be one such team.

• Dec 20, 20125:44 pm
    by Big Rick

My wish is for us to get a better ball handler/facilitator to run the point and mentor Knight.

• Dec 20, 20127:53 pm
      by bob

Marcus Smart

• Dec 21, 201212:23 am
      by Samuel Small

Rick, I could not agree wth you more. The point guard is the one who gets the ball where it needs to be. I think a Guy like Chancey would have been the type of guard to help this team.

• Dec 21, 20129:24 am
      by Crispus

Or Scott Machado!

• Dec 21, 20129:34 am
        by sebastian

What about Daye for Machado? Joe get Morey on the phone, quick!

• Dec 20, 20127:52 pm
    by bob

So how much longer before the Frank supporters realize they had the wrong guy… or did that already happen and I missed it?

• Dec 20, 20128:11 pm
    by Serge Geara

qouting nba power rankings of the week:
    Detroit (7-19)Pace: 93.4 (23), OffRtg: 99.8 (22), DefRtg: 103.6 (20)Free Andre Drummond! The rookie is still lacking polish and has had a couple of JaVale-esque moments, but he’s averaging 12.7 points, 12.5 boards and 2.7 blocks per 36 minutes. More important, the Pistons are a plus-22 with him on the floor, better both offensively and defensively than they are with him on the bench. He’s playing a little more lately, but Detroit has still lost four straight

• Dec 20, 20128:16 pm
    by Bugsygod

Ok Ok Ok…I thiJJ they are really tanking. There playing the vets to see if they can be traded, then after the deadline Drummond starts, English gets in the rotation anndd maybe we see Slava?  This puts them in a big early hole in win loss.  They officially get out of the playoff race and Then go super young. I see top 5 pick.

• Dec 20, 20128:25 pm
      by Brigs

hope your right

• Dec 21, 20128:11 am
      by I HATE FRANK

wnen were we OFFICIALLY in the play-off race?

• Dec 21, 201212:36 pm
        by bugsygod

LOL!  You know beginning of the year 0-0?

• Dec 21, 20122:43 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

LOL…Its sad but the moment we started Prince and Maxiell….I lost all hope for this season

• Dec 20, 20129:23 pm
    by joski810

Bugsy is right.  Its a long season, and we want drummond all season long.  He is 19 yrs old and we want him to have his legs all yr long.  This is a process.  I realize the pistons are hard to watch and the vets are harder to root for.  But this is nessacary.  It does nobody any good in the nba to be medicore.  So we need the Vets to establish trade value, move some pieces around get younger and get back in the lottery.

I pray for a trade to bring in Derrick Williams from Minnesota

• Dec 21, 20122:02 pm
    by MIKEYDE248

All us Pistons fans can do is hope and pray for a trade to get rid of some dead weight and either bring in someone that can help the team, free up some cap space or draft choices.

But, when the trade deadline passes and the team still looks the same and all the old vets are still playing, they will loose most of the few fans they still have remaining.

• Dec 21, 20122:31 pm