Different shade of blue: Denver Nuggets

Essentials

• Teams: Denver Nuggets (10-11) at Detroit Pistons (7-16)
  • Date: December 11, 2012
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

After losing in Philadelphia last night, the Detroit Pistons will look to rebound tonight when they take on a Denver Nuggets team that’s lost five out of their last seven games.

George Karl’s group will surely be looking to bounce back as well tonight when they take on the first team they defeated this season. Indeed, On November 6th, Denver returned home after a three-game road trip and earned their first win of the season against Lawrence Frank’s group.

The Nuggets’ two biggest strengths clearly manifested themselves in that first encounter and will undoubtedly be the key to deciding the outcome of tonight’s contest.

The Nuggets’ frontline is one of the most dangerous in the NBA because of the damage they create on the interior against opponents.

Danilo Gallinari is terrific at posting up smaller players on switches and bullying them on the block, while Kenneth Faried and JaVale McGee are great at diving to the rim for catches and finishes.

In this respect, Denver’s big people are aided by the likes of Ty Lawson, Andre Miller and Andre Iguodala that can not only put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop, but also find teammates on the move as they cut to the basket.

Conventional wisdom would suggest to just pack the paint against the Nuggets, and most teams believe in that strategy against them; but Karl’s genius in creating offensive concepts shines through with this team.

The Nugs will run multiple pick-and-rolls in the same possession with different players to create mismatches and force their opponents into defensive rotations that eventually lead to high percentage shots. In addition, Denver does a good job of spacing the court to create passing angles as well as driving lanes for their perimeter players.

In a nutshell, that’s what makes the Denver Nuggets one of the more difficult teams to defend in the league and this was widely evident earlier in the season when the Pistons traveled to the Pepsi Arena and lost to them.

The Nuggets’ interior scoring was in full effect as they produced a staggering 56 points in the paint. It’s worth noting, that the points scored inside weren’t all necessarily a product of drives and post ups; Denver is also a great offensive rebounding team and Karl’s unit snatched 21 offensive rebounds in the initial meeting versus Detroit.

Those numbers would make any opposing head coach cringe, but the worst part about it all is that an argument could be made that Frank’s defensive strategy yielded the intended result as they pushed Denver to fire away from deep where they converted 10-of-30 shots from 3-point range.

But once again, keeping the Nuggets out of the paint is easier said than done and tonight’s outcome won’t be about completely shutting down the interior, but rather attempting to limit the damage on this front and also playing it tough on the boards to avoid getting beat in the second chance points department.

One wonders if the Nuggets start out the game with a big edge in the rebounding department if Frank will adjust and play a bigger lineup to help out in this facet of the game, but obviously adjustments lead to different challenges and making such a move could potentially shrink the floor offensively for Detroit and turn them into a completely inept offensive team.

Talent matters, but so does coaching.

Read about the Nuggets

Roundball Mining Company.

• Dec 11, 20126:40 pm
    by gmehl

I wouldn’t be surprised if we win this game. After disappointing or heartbreaking losses we somehow have managed to pull out some wins this season. One thing i will add is i am really disappointed that Drummond had a a poor game last night especially while Maxiell was also having a bad game. It was the perfect time for him to make a statement for either more minutes or the starting role. I think i was more disappointed in that than us losing the game.

• Dec 11, 20126:50 pm
    by Day and Knight

Their first of 2 wins and the second one comes tonight…seriously this team has NO direction. We can’t even say we’re rebuilding cause if that was the case Drummond would be starting and Charlie V wouldn’t be on the court…this team is a serious joke and hopefully we tank and get Shabazz

• Dec 11, 20127:32 pm
    by Haan

Please give Kravtsov some minutes, using a genuine big three rotation against a fierce offensive rebounding team.  At least, be prepared to if Maxiell and CV happen (??) not to hold their own as defensive rebounders.

• Dec 11, 20127:46 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

i love that we are getting to the line soo much

• Dec 11, 20127:55 pm

PLEASE KEEP THIS UP!

• Dec 11, 20128:02 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I appreciate the way Prince has played this year…. but if we had an Athletic Wing player…he would have finished some of those fast breaks that Prince just cant do anymore

• Dec 11, 20128:07 pm
    by Shaun

Jason Maxcell shirts now on sale. He saw Patricks grade last night. Monroe with some dimes early, not many can throw down like Max. Great start!

• Dec 11, 20128:13 pm
    by Shaun

Thats han not me

• Dec 11, 20128:19 pm

Apologies guys, we had a troll posting stuff under other peoples’ screen names. Should be taken care of now.

• Dec 11, 20128:25 pm

wow… I have a fan

• Dec 11, 20128:27 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

maxiell with a great bounce back game

• Dec 11, 20128:28 pm
    by sloppy joe

I’m ok with Maggette’s minutes this year.  Everybody is hating on him but if he has, in fact, became a leader in the locker room I think its important to keep give him these 14 minutes a game (or whatever he is playing).  Not to mention he can draw a foul

• Dec 11, 20128:30 pm

Man I wish someone would explain to Drummond that he doesn’t have to attempt a shot every time he comes up with an offensive rebound. Show him tapes of Ben Wallace tossing it back out to the perimeter.

• Dec 11, 20128:36 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Or gather himself and go back up stronger…

• Dec 11, 20128:30 pm

McGee and Miller is Killing Drummond… its all about Experience

• Dec 11, 20128:31 pm
    by bugsygod

Frank just refuses to play drummond monroe together at all.  He comes back with maxiel for charlie?  when Monroe has been on the bench longer!  stupid

• Dec 11, 20128:33 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Some players just love playing against some teams… McGee Loves playing against the Pistons

• Dec 11, 20128:38 pm

Maxiell 6 blocks!!!! WOW

• Dec 11, 20128:42 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

first time all season I felt like Drummonds lack of expereice really hurt the team

• Dec 11, 20128:53 pm
    by Curtis

This may sound completely ridiculous, but why not let Kyle Singler take the point-guard/ball-handling duties?  He is always making the best play for whatever situation is happening.  Having a guy with that kind of, for lack of a better term, basketball IQ running things does not sound like a bad idea to me.  Am I wrong?

• Dec 11, 20128:56 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

because he wouldnt be able to create for himself or teammates when more athletic SGs or wing players press him

• Dec 11, 20128:57 pm
    by bugsygod

Andre miller and ty lawson are not great shooters so they should lay off them and stick with the roll man.  #coaching #inexperience

• Dec 11, 20128:58 pm
    by Haan

Can we trade Brandon Knight for Andre Miller?  (Just kidding, I think).  Miller’s made such a difference for McGee, just as he would with Drummond, a similar player.  Spectacular one-handed catch and dunk off (another) alley oop.

• Dec 11, 20129:00 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

thats how i thought the Pistons would be using Drummond by now…

• Dec 12, 20127:48 am
      by vic

Miller did the same thing for Aldridge in Portland… made the game easy. Its what a real pg does, its a skill Joe D and most gms  don’t really value.

• Dec 11, 20129:03 pm
    by frankie d

mcgee loves playing for his mom’s hometown fans.
    he always plays well here.
    no shame on drummond.
    mcgee can do that to anyone.
    and miller can help him do it to anyone.
    and yes, they showed him the old okey-doke tonight.
    drummond is a smart kid.  he’ll learn.
    drummond is not the first guy to give up a dunk on a backdoor move.

• Dec 11, 20129:04 pm

Is this a poem?

• Dec 11, 20129:21 pm
        by frankie d

random thoughts on some poetic, beautiful basketball.
        what miller – and mcgee – did to drummond was classic stuff.   i kind of liked it, even as a pistons’ fan.
        it was give-the-rookie-a-lesson time.
        as a basketball fan, i think you have to like things like that.
        makes you wonder what drummond could do with a point guard as smart as andre miller.

• Dec 11, 20129:13 pm
    by bugsygod

They need to quit ALWAYS crying to the refs.  Gotta play through some stuff.  Tough it out.  This is where leadership is missing.

• Dec 11, 20129:24 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

amazing we are still in this game

• Dec 11, 20129:35 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

this is when it would have been nice to use a fresher players…

• Dec 11, 20129:38 pm

Drummond has done a much better job in the 2nd half

• Dec 11, 20129:41 pm

Maggette just cost us 6 pts

• Dec 11, 20129:50 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Greg kills me with these vanishing acts

• Dec 11, 20129:54 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I feel like you have to Bring Drummond back in….Send Monroe to the bench…we need defense and monroe is having another off offensive game

• Dec 11, 20129:56 pm

good move bring Drummond back in Frank

• Dec 11, 20129:58 pm
    by Daye and Knight

excuse my language but man…it is empty as “DUCK” out there!

• Dec 11, 201210:02 pm
      by Shaun

Seriously if i lived in mich i would be going! They are a young team, who cant seem to close games more times than often. But keep it interesting and cheap tickets!!

• Dec 11, 20129:58 pm
    by Shaun

Cant leave that man open!!

• Dec 11, 20129:58 pm

Oh well … no legs

• Dec 11, 201210:03 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

We need an athletic wing player BADLY!

Im okay, we didnt win this game….

I dont blame coaching for this lose….but would have been a nice game to go deeper on your bench

• Dec 11, 201210:06 pm
    by Shaun

Stereo typical bring your starters back in at the six minute mark in the 4th coaching move!!! They needed to come in a lot earlier, besides stuckey. Frank left him out there to dry.. Had this one. Poor d yeah, but still could of but his team in a better situation.

• Dec 11, 201210:10 pm
    by vic

i won’t even complain about this one.
    They have 2 quality point guards, 2 quality centers, 2 amazingly athletic forwards.

We have half a center, half a point guard, and some average players, and an ok power forward playing center.

This type of game isn’t winnable, except if they gave it to us.

• Dec 11, 201210:21 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

I said it before….we can’t win when Monroe plays like this….

• Dec 11, 201210:21 pm
    by Stuckey and Whoever

There point guard play did kill us.  Coaching though could of helped especially down the stretch by bringing knight back in to solve that.  Dude is what 20, you can’t play him too much unless he is having a horrible night.  He left Stuckey out there as the only guard for too long.  Left Charlie V out for too long..No surprise.  (He made two good plays, sorry does not justify leaving him in).  I’m not happy with this loss.  Greg Monroe snap out of the funk your in please!

• Dec 11, 201210:25 pm

• Dec 11, 201210:25 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Not gonna act like Knight had a great game, but he was solid… Pistons give too much space on the perimeter, it gives players like Lawson and Jrue Holiday too much comfort…where they can think about what they wanna do… we need to press them…we will get there one day