Corey Maggette: ‘I haven’t really gotten the opportunity this entire year to do … what I can do’

Corey Maggette, via David Mayo of MLive:

"At the end of the day, you’ve just got to stay as professional as possible through this process," he said. "I know what I can do. I know my ability. I haven’t really gotten the opportunity this entire year to do that. But also, this is where they might be moving in a direction where they want to develop the younger guys.

"In every aspect, you’ve just got to try to be a professional in every way. Do I agree with it? No, as a competitor you can’t agree with it. But as a professional, I accept what he (Frank) told me, and that’s how you have to approach it."

"I just want our guys to have a positive attitude. Every guy on the team wants to play, believes they should play. It’s tough for coach to make a decision, it’s tough for J.D. (Dumars) to make a decision, and somebody’s going to get the short end of the stick. At this time in my career, I’m getting the short end of the stick."

As Maggette said, and as I’ve said many times, the NBA is full of the world’s most competitive people. None of them will be happy about a demotion, but it’s all about how they handle it. It sounds like Maggette is handling it the right way.

• Dec 20, 20123:54 pm
    by hot sauce

maybe we should release him and let him sign with another team…

• Dec 20, 20124:11 pm
    by Haan

Oh boy.  He makes an unreasonable complaint sound like an act of virtue.

• Dec 20, 20125:19 pm
    by rick

Y trade him and lose that cap space?  I swear sometimes people never think before they speak.

• Dec 20, 20126:14 pm
    by tim

what a dumbass.  He has the ball in his hands tons when he is on the floor.  I cringe every time he takes a jumper.  He had ample opportunity and did not deliver.

• Dec 20, 20126:30 pm
    by lindsey

anyone else think he had PLENTY of opportunity? Jerebko/Daye/English/Middleton should of been playing ahead of this dude.

• Dec 20, 20127:54 pm
    by piston moribund

Hello!
    Wolves need a small forward.  Josh Howard felled by a torn ACL.  Surprise, we have plenty for everyone, take your pick, Daye, Corey, Prince, Middleton,……Any one as long as someone goes.  Wolves want to make the playoffs and Prince would be a fine addition, especially since he has been playing well.  Oh wait, maybe we can sign Josh Howard just in case….Probably a more realistic option.

• Dec 20, 201210:09 pm
      by Crispus

If the Wolves call, Joe D better pick up the phone.

• Dec 21, 20128:05 am
    by Ryank

Given Maggette is focused on his next job, not this team or this season, it absolutely was the right thing to do…bench him.  This whole season has been about him trying to change his image from a stat whore to a team/lockerroom guy…a guy who’d be a good fit in a front office.  It’s so phony.

• Dec 21, 201211:44 am
    by apa8ren9

I know what he can do, come in and waste minutes on the floor and contribute nothing that impacts the game.  I know he can take one dribble and bowl over his defender.  On a good day he gets to the free throw line. On a bad day he gets offensive fouls.  That’s all folks.  Have a good day.