Brandon Knight probably must shift gears against 76ers

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (7-15) at Philadelphia 76ers (11-9)
  • Date: December 10, 2012
  • Time: 7 p.m.
  • Television: Fox Sports Detroit

What to look for

Let’s look back at what J.M. wrote before the Pistons’ last game against the 76ers:

Tonight’s game should prove to be intriguing because it will be a contest of weakness versus weakness.

Doug Collins’ crew runs multiple sets (curl screens, pin downs, screen the screener actions, etc..) on the offensive end with the intent of getting open mid-range jumpers. His players will occasionally put the ball on the floor and get to the rim, but this mostly comes in the form of fast break points. Thus, the 76ers score 34.3 points in the paint per game (28th in the NBA), which is aided by their 15.7 fast break points per game (ninth in the league). As previously stated, scoring on the interior is not an area of strength for Philadelphia.

Detroit makes this matchup compelling because one of their biggest weaknesses is their inability to stop opponents from scoring at the rim, as evidenced by their 49 points in the paint allowed per game (worst in the league). One can only wonder if Collins will deviate from his typical drive and kick philosophy to instead try to attack a Pistons team that’s been unable to provide any interior resistance so far this season.

This is why J.M. usually write the game previews. The 76ers shot jumpers, finished with a field-goal percentage under 30 and lost 94-76. Philadelphia has remained a poor shooting team, especially so lately. A repeat of that first matchup could very well be in store.

When the Pistons have the ball, I’ll be playing close attention to Brandon Knight. He had an excellent game against the Cavaliers on Sunday, but being covered by Jrue Holiday will be a bigger test. There was nothing discouraging about how Knight played against Cleveland. There just wasn’t as much encouraging as I’d from a 30-point, five-assist, one-turnover stat line. Knight did well to make the open shots Cleveland allowed him, but I suspect those same looks wont’ be quite so available tonight. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts.

Read about the 76ers

Philadunkia

• Dec 10, 20126:59 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

“” There just wasn’t as much encouraging as I’d from a 30-point, five-assist, one-turnover stat line. Knight did well to make the open shots Cleveland allowed him, but I suspect those same looks wont’ be quite so available tonight. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts”"”

smh…sad

• Dec 10, 20127:25 pm
    by frankie d

maxiell can hear drummond’s footsteps, coming for his job.
    7 boards already in the first quarter!

• Dec 10, 20127:37 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Yeah he crashing the boards…but he’s not converting any of them and he also keeping it alive for teammates

• Dec 10, 20127:42 pm
      by gmehl

Yeah he’s got 8 boards but he is 0-7 from the floor with 2 turnovers. I think Max needs to put into that 1st big of the bench role. This is coming from a guy that was happy with Max in the starting lineup to start the season.

• Dec 10, 20127:50 pm

Maggette serves not purpose

• Dec 10, 20127:55 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Why is Charlie on this FLOOR? We are bigger than the Sixers? why go with Charlie?

• Dec 10, 20128:01 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

we have a very odd coach….

• Dec 10, 20128:05 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

id love to see two thing happen….. ONE: Monroe take that Shot and Two: Monroe Take that damn shot

• Dec 10, 20128:08 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Looks like Singler is Back!

• Dec 10, 20128:31 pm

Another poor 3rd qrt

• Dec 10, 20128:36 pm

Monroe is in BEAST MODE!

• Dec 10, 20128:37 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Monroe THATS THE SHOT!!!!!

• Dec 10, 20128:40 pm

Young is raping maxiell!

• Dec 10, 20128:47 pm

Nice Trip and NO CALL!!!

• Dec 10, 20128:49 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Being in NY and not having league pass this is only the second time i got a full look at the Pistons ..
    So I am so so sorry … with what you having to go threw …. The teams run by stubborn out of touch management and coaches.  think of if Philly had it starting Center A Bynum playing.  We have a coach and GM that could care less there fighting for a few more wins at the expense of putting a exciting younger team on the floor.

1 Team is boring as hell…Zzzzzzzxzz some good guys buy. Prince. Moose. Singler  all good but nothing for the highlights …
    2 Clearest thing that i saw is that there is NO way Monroe has the motor or Defensive chops to be out there with out Dummonds help  CRAZY . Yet i don’t think they were on the floor for one min together
    3 Whats the point putting out such a slightly better but not developing product ….  I would not pay to watch this team as it is being coached or run.

Just feels like some out of touch guys holding on to the way they want it done no matter the cost or the enjoyment of the fans  …. if you not going to compete at least go young and fun and get on with THE NEW PISTONS

• Dec 10, 20128:53 pm

singing to the chour

• Dec 10, 20129:00 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Sixer whole front Court is in Trouble and we want to bail them out by not going big!

• Dec 10, 20129:01 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Maxiell 8 rebounds in the first…3 since!

• Dec 10, 20129:02 pm

10 minutes for Drummond without a rebound. That’s gotta be some sort of record.

• Dec 10, 20129:03 pm

Also, Stuckey’s got his mojo back. Nice to see that his early slump didn’t last.

• Dec 10, 20129:04 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Sorry I  Like Monroe but he is really not physical enough for full time center …. He should be modeling his game after great Power Forwards  .He and Drumond are almost perfect fit yet hell the Detroit management will be the last to know it …  Maybe they will stop trying to prove they know more than anyone with EYEs in their head.   They go on a 17 zip run and no substitutions  no Drummond Frank is a bad joke

and SINGLER is not a 2 guard (should be at the 3)
    What is it with Detroit playing players out of position … never wanting to play players where they fit best. After years of ALMOST every one on every Detroit forum saying  Stuckey is a combo off the bench he finally feels like he belongs where he is … AS a combo off the bench

• Dec 10, 20129:26 pm

You worry way too much about what position people are playing at. What matters more is what skillsets are on the floor. Singler may be best suited to the three but he is playing opposite Turner or Richardson who are both nominally 3s as well. More importantly, Singler’s abilities fill in a lot of the holes left on the perimeter by Tay’s abilities. Yes, monroe and Drummond should be on the floor together. but it doesn’t matter which is the PF and which the C. In fact, I’d typically have Drummond guarding the other PF because, for the most part in this league, PFs are significantly better offensively than Cs.

• Dec 10, 20129:30 pm
      by Vic

Right they like to complicate things but in a way that makes sure they lose.

• Dec 10, 20129:21 pm

Hard to win when CV keeps fouling down the stretch. But the sixers did let him off the hook by missing 3 of 4.

• Dec 10, 20129:21 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Some how Knight Will be Blamed for this game…..

• Dec 10, 20129:25 pm

Quit being so dramatic.

• Dec 10, 20129:30 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Im waiting to hear how he let JRU Holiday dominate game…

• Dec 10, 20129:26 pm
      by Reaction

I mean he did start out pretty badly early on with like a really crappy 1/8 or something.. but I think the main problem is Maxiell missing every shot

• Dec 10, 20129:22 pm

I miss Doug Collins

• Dec 10, 20129:24 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Frank wants us to be a defensive team…but plays Charlie during stretches when you need defense….

• Dec 10, 20129:29 pm

You mean you need players who are capable of playing D to be a good defensive team? Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. The key for good defense is to play the guys who have no future with your team as much as possible. And if you must play your future core, don’t play them with each other.

• Dec 10, 20129:34 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Right, … or when Greg is dominating the Sixer from court, has their 2 starting big with 4 fouls going into the fourth… SIT MONROE DOWN!!! And Let Stuckey and Charlie jack up 3′s….

Not to mention the lose balls we let Hawes get…

Games like this kill me

• Dec 10, 20129:39 pm

Didn’t your mother ever teach you that it is unsportsmanlike to take advantage of someone else’s foul trouble? Mrs. Frank would like to give your mother a stern lecture on raising her boys to be gentlemanly.

• Dec 10, 20129:50 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

He has always liked Doug, its his BRO. LOYALTY!!!

I feel like we have the only coach that out coaches himself and then gets out coached by the opposing coach…

Only Positives in this Game was Knight still scoring and being aggressive, and Monroe shot that damn jumper

Other than that this was a mess

• Dec 10, 20129:53 pm

Mostly agreed, but I think you are failing to give Stuckey his due.

• Dec 10, 20129:28 pm
    by gmehl

I am convinced that this season is a reverse tanking job

• Dec 10, 20129:30 pm

reverse tanking? like, trying to win? as in what most teams do?

• Dec 10, 20129:32 pm
      by Vic

Reverse tanking is playing to lose in the beginning of the season instead of waiting until the end

• Dec 10, 20129:35 pm

isn’t tanking just playing to lose regardless of when?

• Dec 10, 20129:35 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

im convinced that Frank will have a dumbass quote after during the post game interview

• Dec 10, 20129:37 pm
    by Vic

Not playing Jerebko in favor of Maggette
    Not playing Kim English a defensive specialist while your getting torched by every guard you play
    And refusing to play your two best bigs at the same time, even though they fit perfectly – effectively refusing to use your only competitive advantage

Is beginning to look like reverse tanking again

• Dec 10, 20129:45 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

if its about match ups that would make since… but its a LOYALTY!!!

• Dec 10, 20129:47 pm

“Reverse tanking” isn’t a thing. It’s just tanking earlier than everyone else. I don’t think I have ever encountered the term outside of PP.

• Dec 10, 20129:56 pm
        by Vic

I think I made it up earlier in the season. I apologize if it annoys you

• Dec 10, 20129:59 pm

It’s fine. I understand what you are trying to say. I guess I just don’t really believe that this team is tanking. I don’t think Frank or his players have any reason to do it. And I don’t think Dumars or Gores would stand for it. But that does make it incredibly difficult to try to grasp what’s going on in Frank’s head.

• Dec 10, 20129:38 pm
    by Mel

All I want to say is this jerk of a coach goes half of the third quarter and doesn’t call time out when his team is getting points run up their butts and not playing defense at that time. If was obvious the team was disjointed but he’s just watching it happen like they were going to change it themselves. This isn’t Phil Jackson and the Bulls. The team needs a coach, and Bad. I watch the games now and I know exactly when the curtains are about to be closed. Man I hate seeing us loose like this.

• Dec 10, 20129:38 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

NO ADJUSTMENT against the Pick and Roll with Jru and Hawes…. they ran the same play time after time… No adjustment…

Maxiell got lit up against Young, and who do we bring in to slow down Young?… Charlie V!!!!

this is why we will never…over come that 0-8 start….

• Dec 10, 20129:43 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

How many times has Stuckey driven in to deep an thrown the ball way … a gazillion ?   CV in crunch time ?  what the hell……   This is so clearly not winning basketball or wanting to become a great team but more “Hope we don’t loose”basketball.

• Dec 10, 20129:54 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Why in the hell was Stuckey jackin three like that? when he had soo much success driving the ball?

• Dec 10, 201210:02 pm

Yeah, eliminate 3 point attempts and Stuckey is a real solid player.