When it comes to rapping about the Pistons, Wale is better than The Game

Spin created the incredible list of current players named in rap songs, and the Pistons check in with two:

Tayshaun Prince: "Posted up with something long as the nigga Tayshaun / And I’m off probation, so I’m back in the kitchen…Raekwon" — The Game ("Daytona 500")

Rodney Stuckey: "I wouldn’t fuck another girl out of the club / I was Rodney Stuckey, wasn’t giving my number up" — Wale ("Goodbye")

Both should get points for creativity rather than just name-dropping – though, which established rapper would really name drop Tayshaun Prince or Rodney Stuckey? – but I’m preferential to Wale’s verse. It cuts to an issue that has sat beneath the surface for years, and it shows Wale’s acute attention to not only the NBA, but interpersonal relationships, belief in symbols and our society’s difficult grasp of fairness. The Game, on the other hand, just needed a word that rhymed with Raekwon.

• Nov 27, 20124:26 pm
    by @GPMasters

Kris Humphries ”And I’ll admit, I had fell in love with Kim / Around the same time she fell in love with him / Lucky I ain’t had Jay drop him from the team” — Kanye West (“Cold”)
    Brutal…!

• Nov 27, 20124:28 pm
    by 19880607

Well, Tayshaun is straight out of Compton.

• Nov 27, 20124:48 pm
    by Sean Corp

Dan, Dan, Dan. How can you not recognize a terrific Raekwon name drop when you see one? Raekwon the Chef is one of the most under-appreciated members of Wu Tang Clan and Tayshaun should be honored to share a verse with him.

• Nov 27, 20125:00 pm
      by XstreamINsanity

Did you really just put the words “Tayshaun” and “shared” in the same sentence?

• Nov 27, 20126:24 pm
        by CityofKlompton

Haha!  If only there were a like button on here.  Tayshaun doesn’t like sharing anything.

• Nov 27, 20127:44 pm
      by bugsygod

Hell Yes what you just said !

• Nov 27, 20126:31 pm
    by RyanK

I thought this was a family blog…what’s with the language?

• Nov 27, 20129:21 pm
      by Ron

Have you read some of the comments

• Nov 27, 20129:48 pm

As a rule, we don’t censor things we excerpt from. That’s soft when news outlets do that.

• Nov 27, 20129:57 pm
        by Oracle

Have to agree with other commenters. Front-paging explicit language doesn’t make you a better writer. Learn how to make a jump, at the very least. Let’s not pretend you guys are “hard” and others are “soft.

• Nov 27, 201210:05 pm

I’m not implying that I’m ‘hard.’ I’m just saying that it’s weak when print/internet news outlets alter a quote just because it has explicit language. Some do and some don’t. I think Dan and I just happen to feel that it’s important to run a quote or excerpt as-is. Is this post the greatest example of some journalistic need to do that? Of course not. But there are certainly newsworthy instances where profanity is a part of quoted material and leaving it out or doing the parenthetical replacement that some news outlets do, in my opinion, takes away from and alters the meaning. So as a general rule here, we won’t do that in anything we’re posting.

We’re not going to put profanity in a headline and we certainly try to avoid using it ourselves in posts (Dan is much better at that than I am, admittedly), but quotes are a different story. They should be ran as-is.

• Nov 28, 20129:25 am
            by Scott Free

Patricks right.

• Nov 28, 201211:32 am
            by Tom Y.

Hey, just wanna say I totaly agree with this, kinda surprised about the complaints.

• Nov 27, 20128:25 pm
    by Vince

Eminem and T.I.’s “Touchdown” Has a line or to for Detroit as well

“Welcome to the Midwest, yes Where them Detroit players ball like you have no idea”

Kendrick Lamar has a full verse dedicated to Arron Afflalo in “Black Boy Fly”

“ I used to be jealous of Aaron Afflalo
    I used to be jealous of Aaron AfflaloHe was the one to followHe was the only leader foreseeing brighter tomorrowsHe would live in the gymWe was living in sorrowTotal envy of himHe made a dream become a realityActually making it possible to swimHis way out of Compton with further more to accomplishGraduate with honors, a sponsor of basketball scholarsIt’s 2004 and I’m watching him score 30Remember vividly how them victory points had hurt meCause every basket was a reaction or a reminderThat we was just moving backwardsThe bungalow where you find usThe art of us ditching classes heading nowhere fastStick my head inside the study hall, he focused on mathDetermination ambition, plus dedication and wisdomQualities he was given was the shit we didn’t haveDug inside of his book bag and Coach Palmer asked for his finalsHe had his back like a spinal meanwhileWe singing the same old song spinning the vinyl11 graders gone wrongHe focused on the NBA we focused on some Patron
    Now watch that black boy fly ”

• Nov 27, 20128:27 pm
      by Vince

Mmm the formatting didn’t render well… you get the idea anyhow.

*two in the first  sentence not “to”

• Nov 27, 20129:46 pm
    by schropshire

whats with the language. this aint the place for it . jus cuz its in a rap song dont make it cool.

• Nov 27, 201210:14 pm

“this aint the place for it”

It’s a link to a story about two Pistons players being written about in a huge national magazine. This is a site that both covers the Pistons and tries to link to any story mentioning anything related to the team anywhere else on the internet. So this is exactly the place for it.

• Nov 27, 20129:49 pm
    by schropshire

true hoop network an espn affiliate REALLY!!!

• Nov 27, 201210:11 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

Dang Pat, you could have censored some of the language bro…You’re falling off man, that’s totally disrespectful…

• Nov 27, 201210:14 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

Dan you are a loser for releasing this article with that kind of language…#DoBetter

• Nov 27, 201210:16 pm

Releasing this article? Is Feldman the editor of Spin Magazine?

• Nov 27, 201210:43 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

I meant releasing the article on PistonPowered.com…Dan can do better than that… Censor the buffoonery…

• Nov 27, 201211:05 pm

If we censored buffoonery, you would’ve been gone long ago.

• Nov 27, 201211:17 pm
            by Jodi Jezz

I don’t know Pat, I speak the truth most of the time…Something I do know is saying disrespectful racial words isn’t cool, even if you re-post it…Come on, we’re all educated folks here…

• Nov 28, 20129:22 am

“I don’t know Pat, I speak the truth most of the time”

No you don’t. You give your opinion. Just because you tend to do it louder or more obnoxiously than other people give their opinions doesn’t make your opinion ‘truth.’

“Something I do know is saying disrespectful racial words isn’t cool, even if you re-post it”

Well, in the context of how The Game was using that word, I don’t think he was using it to be disrespectful. But you’ll have to talk to The Game about that. I’m not really qualified to interpret his lyrics.

“Come on, we’re all educated folks here”

That’s great to hear. This is how I’d expect an educated person would respond to this:

- Understand that this is a Pistons site that links to Pistons coverage anywhere credible. Understand that Spin Magazine is a huge national publication that just wrote about the Pistons in a story it gave a lot of play to on its website. Understand that as a Pistons site that links to national stories about the Pistons in well-known publications, it is within the realm of what we cover to post it. None of that means you have to like hip hop or like the post. But at the very least, I expect an ‘educated’ person to understand why it was posted.

- Understand that music of all genres is filled with lyrics that are potentially offensive to a variety of people. If you are offended by the lyrics above, I’m not saying you shouldn’t be. You have that right. But it’s still, as I said, a Pistons story in a national publication. Based on some of the other comments here, there are plenty of people who are fans of hip hop or at the very least found the article Dan linked to interesting enough that they commented and a few even offered their own research to find other Pistons connections to hip hop lyrics. An educated person would understand that no publication should limit itself to posting only content sure to offend no one. If we held ourselves to that standard, this would be a pretty boring site to read. In my opinion, part of what makes this site more interesting is the fact that we occasionally dig up off-the-wall posts like this that give everyone a break from just discussing a bad on-court product.

You have the right to not read the post. You have a right to be offended by it. You have a right to express being offended by it. But, if you’re the educated person you say you are in your comment, you should be able to understand why it was considered newsworthy enough to post, why the quoted song lyrics were not censored and that plenty of  other educated people were not offended by it, as several of the comments in this thread show.

• Nov 28, 201211:35 am
            by Tom Y.

@ Patrick: really wish I could rec this :)

• Nov 28, 20125:52 pm
            by Jodi Jezz

@Tom: Get off of Patrick’s penis and get a gf…
            @Pat: I don’t make my opinions louder, my opinions are just more realistic than others…And apparently you are qualified to interpret his lyrics if you can make a decision if he used the word appropriately or not…The word he used should have been censored so stop trying to stand up for your co-bloggers mistakes…Listen Pat, I don’t care if other posters aren’t offended, I thought you(or Dan) would have enough integrity to censors words like that…I guess I gave you(or Dan) too much credit…

• Nov 28, 201210:35 pm

First, I didn’t say he used the word ‘appropriately.’ Being a white dude, I’m not in a position to argue what is and isn’t an appropriate use of the word. I don’t, however, think that The Game was using it as a racial slur. That’s pretty obvious. Words have different meanings in different context.

Secondly, this is America dude. Get outta here with your censorship talk. I’ll let Luther Campbell and 2 Live Crew handle my rebuttal.

• Nov 27, 201210:55 pm
    by Piston Truth

“The Game, on the other hand, just needed a word that rhymed with Raekwon”

LMAO @dan so you know the game rap skillis aint all that great either

• Nov 27, 201211:27 pm
    by Ryan P

“Pass me the rock, I know just what to do with it
    It’s real vivid, I pivot, through the lane
    Three hundred and sixty behind my back
    I take your monkey ass to the rack like Jerry Stack

-Jurassic 5

• Nov 27, 201211:59 pm
    by Vince

SMH to all the people having a fit because of the language. Come on people, if you’re worried kids are going to read this, rest assured, they’ve probably heard and seen worse.

Dan and Patrick do a good job running PP, this is probably the first time I’ve ever seen curse words in their work, and I’ve been following this blog for 2+ years. So if this annoys you, damn, you’re pretty high strung.

• Nov 28, 20121:03 am
    by Otis

Actually, Stuckey offered to give up his number like a bitch, but it was too late to get league approval. Apparently people buy Rodney Stuckey jerseys for some reason?

But I guess that wouldn’t make for a very good rap lyric.

• Nov 28, 20121:24 am
    by Brandow

i heard alot of rap songs that mention ben wallace’s name

• Nov 28, 20122:09 am
    by jerrific

What’s with everyone getting offended with this post? They’re just quoting a lyric and staying true to what the artist is saying. To get offended by with that is to be offended by the artist, which I’m pretty sure isn’t what anyone is actually trying to say. They are just staying true to what was originally said. Also, in the context, especially with rap music, certain words aren’t necessarily as offensive as they might be out of context. Language doesn’t fall into these kinds of strict guidelines where certain words are always appropriate and others are always inappropriate. Context people, context. It’s a quote from a song. Chill out.

• Nov 28, 201212:05 pm
    by Ben Fridsma

grow up all of you! Its a word! said by a black man about another black man. black call them selves the same word used. I like the post Dan, its interesting that my fav. player tayshaun wa used in a rap. And Patrick im with you 100%. and imo. If you dont like it, no one says you have to be a part of the website. just saying

• Nov 28, 201212:27 pm
    by Scott Free

To get off the wussy “dirty language” conversation, I’m not sure if this is a reference to Rodney Stuckey… but Proof might have name dropped him a little here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/proof/kurtkobain.html

Any rappers talking about the old 02′ Pistons squad?  Sheed, Chauncey, Rip, Ben…

Also, I feel the urge to mention Tayshauns bit part in Snoop Doggs Hood of Horror