The DeMarcus Cousins-Greg Monroe debate continues

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (0-4) at Sacramento Kings (1-3)
  • Date: November 7, 2012
  • Time: 10:00 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

If you don’t listen to the Basketball Jones Podcast (and you should if you’re not, it’s great), in their season preview, they discusses 101 questions for the NBA season. One of the questions was about Greg Monroe and DeMarcus Cousins — who would you rather have long-term?

This has been a common debate among Pistons fans, who openly pined for Cousins before the 2010 draft only to be more than pleasantly surprised by how good Monroe is.

The guys on the Jones all reached familiar conclusions — Cousins is probably more talented with more upside, but Monroe’s hard-working, quiet persona and rapid improvement combined with Cousins’ (fair or unfair) reputation as a bit of a combustible personality, made it a really intriguing debate.

But, after a few games this season, they revisited their preseason predictions and concluded, based on Monroe’s poor start and Cousins continuing to look like a potential franchise center (17 points, 10 rebounds and 2 steals per game so far this season), along with his better relationship with Kings coach Keith Smart over his predecessor, Cousins is the clear winner.

Monroe bounced back last night with a 27 and 10 effort against the Nuggets to hopefully re-assert himself among the league’s up and coming bigs, but the Cousins-Monroe debate is always going to be a fun discussion point during their careers. So far, one has not convincingly pulled ahead of the other. I would probably agree that Cousins is the more talented player, but I also think Monroe is much closer talent-wise than people give him credit for.

Head-to-head, Monroe is averaging 13.0 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 62 percent in four games vs. the Kings. Cousins is averaging 15.0 points, 9.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.0 steals per game while shooting 46 percent against the Pistons. Monroe has turned it over less, Cousins has got to the line more and blocked more shots in those games.

I’m not sure that the debate between the two will be settled tonight, but I know that Pistons-Kings games will always be two of the games on the schedule I look forward to the most to see these guys play each other.

Read about the Kings

Cowbell Kingdom

• Nov 7, 20127:53 pm
    by gmehl

I will admit that i was one of those guys that was sad we never got Cousins but i am more than happy with Monroe. Cousins has one of those temperamental persona’s where he can snap at anytime. He is a great player but you have to ask yourself how will he go in a 7 game playoff series when the pressure is on. To me he is only a rung down mentally from guys like Delonte West and Michael Beasley or dare i say Stephon Marbury. The NBA has a lot of pressures that sometimes even talent can’t handle.

• Nov 7, 20128:15 pm
    by domnick

you know what… i think cousins – monroe tandem will work… if we got them together on the same team..

i like their talent… they can complement together on the floor.. i wanna hope someday… they’ll be together on pistons team…

• Nov 7, 20128:53 pm
      by steve

never gonna happen unless you want to ditch knight and drummond or drummond and knight end being huge busts

• Nov 7, 20128:55 pm
    by steve

monroe has skill cousins has talent. monroe should have the longer career and i think will have the better one but i think cousins will be better in his prime

• Nov 7, 20129:19 pm
    by MNM

The main problem with Greg, is that he isn’t that athletic.. which makes things more difficult for him on both ends of the floor.

• Nov 7, 201210:07 pm
    by D_S_V

This sentence makes my head hurt:

“Head-to-head in their careers, Monroe is averaging 13.0 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 62 percent in four games.”

So, lifetime 62% shooter or 4 game 62% shooter? Sorry. I don’t have the internet so I can’t look it up myself.

• Nov 7, 201210:12 pm
      by theicon77

“Sorry. I don’t have the internet so I can’t look it up myself.”

That makes my head hurt. How are you accessing this with no internet?

• Nov 7, 201210:15 pm

‘head-to-head in their careers’ means games they’ve faced each other in their careers. Don’t see why that’s confusing — I would understand if I just wrote ‘in their careers.’ But the ‘head-to-head’ implies when they’ve played each other. I re-worded it though.

• Nov 7, 201210:29 pm
      by D_S_V

Hahaha. My bad. I see the light now.

• Nov 7, 201210:17 pm
    by I HATE U FRANK

nice adjustment so far by Frank… allowing knight to float in the corner spacing the floor….

• Nov 7, 201210:24 pm
    by I HATE U FRANK

this is the best our offense has looked all year…

• Nov 7, 201210:34 pm

applauding!!!

• Nov 7, 201210:56 pm

Statistically, Monroe and Cousins are looking pretty even once again.

• Nov 7, 201210:57 pm
    by I HATE U FRANK

only gripe….those offensive rebounds we are giving up…

• Nov 7, 201210:58 pm
    by Desolation Row

These Sacramento announcers are verbally shredding the city of Detroit apart… and they’re from Sacramento, the armpit of California!

• Nov 7, 201211:02 pm
      by Desolation Row

Having moved away from Michigan a few years back and relying on League Pass to watch games, I have to say Pistons fans are spoiled with awesome announcing. George Blaha is a God amongst men.

• Nov 7, 201211:02 pm
    by domnick

the heck… second unit played terrible…. sac pulled away.. it was a head to head match but now the lead was up to 8 WTH!

• Nov 7, 201211:03 pm
    by I HATE U FRANK

nice cutting….win or lose i might change my name tonight

• Nov 7, 201211:13 pm
    by domnick

now its a 9-point lead! RRGGHH i hate this game.. we lost our focus here! we need to bring the game back after halftime! we need to win this game! i hate the zero win on our team!

• Nov 7, 201211:17 pm

It’s especially unimpressive considering those four losses all came from teams who had not won a single game until beating Detroit.

• Nov 7, 201211:21 pm
        by I HATE U FRANK

offensive boards are getting us tonight

• Nov 7, 201211:22 pm

It’s almost as if the Pistons are missing one of their top two rebound machines.

• Nov 7, 201211:26 pm

Monroe’s looking for that triple double.

• Nov 7, 201211:28 pm
    by Vince

Really liking the look of the offense, smooth and effective

• Nov 7, 201211:32 pm
    by Vince

Are the refs not whistling fouls on Greg or …?

• Nov 7, 201211:42 pm
    by I HATE U FRANK

i love the non trapping Defense!

• Nov 7, 201211:54 pm
    by theicon77

I was really hoping Greg would improve half as much defensively as he did offensively last summer.

• Nov 8, 201212:11 am

Seriously Frank? Why would you put Drummond in for 52 seconds?

And you gotta put Monroe back in when he is just 1 assist away from a triple double.

• Nov 8, 201212:13 am
      by I HATE U FRANK

he is gonna kill drummonds confidence

• Nov 8, 201212:12 am
    by I HATE U FRANK

i dont understand switching maxeill in for Drummond when u know they gonna take advantage over Cousins size…..smh

• Nov 8, 201212:13 am
    by Corey

ok watching Drummond get pulled after only a couple minutes annoyed me. Watching Cousins immediately post up Maxiel and score was amusing, though.

Hey, Frank, a tip for ya:  Drummond can gain experience and get really good if you play him. Maxiel can’t get taller.

• Nov 8, 201212:14 am
    by Day and Knight

Coach Frank is breaking my balls man! I left the room for less than a minute when Drummond checked in and now he benched again…wtf?

• Nov 8, 201212:14 am
    by domnick

are we going to lose again? sigh

this is just rrgghhh frustrating!

• Nov 8, 201212:16 am

im not gonna trip but put since benching Drummond Cousins have scored 6 points

• Nov 8, 201212:20 am
    by theicon77

Down 3 with 3:11 left….is tonight the night????

• Nov 8, 201212:21 am
    by I HATE U FRANK

Frank has an unreal love affair with maxeil and his shorting comings….i hope we pull this game out because offensively its the best we have looked… but Maxiell should not be in the game right now

• Nov 8, 201212:21 am
    by domnick

we are back! 91-94! 3 point lead… lets steal this game and savor our first win! go PISTONS!

• Nov 8, 201212:22 am
    by adam

what a game! i have caught every game this year and this game is easily our best effort. it’s been a slow starting offense all season but it’s been starting to get going. moose is one assist away from a tripdub and it’s only a 3 point game!! everyone is playing so hard and it’s so good to see. moose is better than boogie tonight, easily.

• Nov 8, 201212:23 am
    by theicon77

And Maxiell blows the triple double.

• Nov 8, 201212:24 am
    by adam

another 3 for brandon!!! CLUTCH

• Nov 8, 201212:24 am
    by adam

singler to the line, how nice is it to have him????

• Nov 8, 201212:25 am

great effort tonight

• Nov 8, 201212:26 am
    by adam

god…i hate marcus thronton

• Nov 8, 201212:27 am
    by I HATE U FRANK

Frank had alot of good adjustments this game, but he has to learn to keep Drummond in the game for shot blocking and rebounding reasons

• Nov 8, 201212:29 am
    by adam

yeah, needs more minutes. yes, monroe’s offensive rebounding is the only reason were in this.

• Nov 8, 201212:30 am
    by adam

TRIPLE DOUBLE CLUTCH 3 FROM KNIGHT

• Nov 8, 201212:31 am

woot!

21-12-10

• Nov 8, 201212:31 am
    by adam

good god monroe is a beast.

• Nov 8, 201212:33 am
    by theicon77

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Nov 8, 201212:34 am
    by I HATE U FRANK

goodnight great effort…gotta get better on the offensive boards

• Nov 8, 201212:35 am
    by adam

good game! the team keeps getting better and better. it’s a long road stretch, we weren’t even supposed to be in that game let alone have everyone play so amazing. i mean, first triple double since chauncey in 04?? from moose? the league is on notice. knight draining threes and setting plays up. it’s getting better.

• Nov 8, 201212:36 am
    by adam

first one of the season? wow.

• Nov 8, 201212:41 am

When’s the last time a Piston had a triple double?

• Nov 8, 201212:44 am
      by Vince

I think Blaha said Billups… that in itself says how long its been.

Fun fact: First triple double for the season!

• Nov 8, 201212:42 am
    by gmehl

What a way to spoil your 1st triple double. I couldn’t watch the game but followed it on gamecast. I see they left Prince on the bench in the clutch of the 4th. Singler looks way more ready to replace Prince than i thought.

• Nov 8, 201212:43 am
    by Vince

That was awesome! By ‘that’ I mean Knight, Singler and Monroe’s games, amazing, Knight with the clutch 3s, Monroe with the most deserved triple double, Singler for just being amazing, and Frank for screwing up what could’ve been our first win of the season.

GOD DAMN FRANK. Get your shit together man, Drummond needs to play, he needs to get his confidence up, he needs to play with the starters, heck the Pistons needs him because he can protect the paint, now get your hand out of Maxiell’s shorts and play Dre! Its frustrating when you’re giving up offensive rebounds, letting players go straight down the lane and struggling on the offensive glass when you know theres a guy on the bench who can rectify all of that.

Kravtsov was active tonight as well! Why not pair the two 7 footers during that stretch where we led in the fourth? Twin Towers down the middle to solidify the D, and have Singler Stuckey and Knight for the shot making, its really not that hard to do good smart coaching Frank!!

Got to give Frank some credit, the offense was much better, defense was still a bit shaky but as a whole it was a much better game by the Pistons.

• Nov 8, 201212:45 am
    by domnick

best effort.. but still we lost…

bad substitution when we put maxiel in for drummond… im gonna hate this move..

i dont know what happened to drummond and he’s not really getting the minutes recently? was it because he throws down dunks?

• Nov 8, 201212:46 am
    by frankie d

best thing about the game: keeping tay’s sorry a@@ on the bench at the end of the game.
    worst thing about the game: not playing drummond, even though sactown was obviously jamming the ball down the lane, into the paint, because of detroit’s lack of interior defense and shotblocking.
    keeping his best shotblocker on the bench: an incomprehensible decision by frank.

• Nov 8, 201212:58 am
    by Fan

Its official, we are going 0-9 before we beat the Magic. Great effort tonight though.

• Nov 8, 20129:06 am
    by Corey

Was fun to watch at least. Can start to see things coming together, and some of the young guys turning into NBA players. I used to love Stuckey, but I’m about done with any hope for him. If he’d given them anything, it was a W. here’s hoping he has another all-star caliber few weeks before the trade deadline so we can unload him for a more consistent guard.