Rodney Stuckey battling migraines, could be contributing to his struggles

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

Stuckey finished with 1 point in 28 minutes, making it the first time he played more than 25 minutes with such futility. Afterwards, Stuckey said he’s been battling migraines and would get it checked out soon.

“Rodney, he had a really bad headache and he tried to play through it,” Frank said. “We just decided to go with Kyle.”

I know that Stuckey has played beyond poorly, and I’m not trying to make an excuse for that, but anyone who has suffered from migraines can certainly relate. Honestly, I don’t know how he got out of bed with one, let alone tried to play a basketball game.

If they continue, though, and they are really limiting his play, the Pistons would be wise to rest him. Stuckey has always played through different injuries or ailments. I think he’s one of the tougher guards in the league, considering the amount of contact he takes. When he’s not right physically, his game nosedives as a result. He doesn’t strike me as the type of player who would sit because of a migraine, so maybe the coaches should make that decision for him if it keeps up.

• Nov 3, 201211:29 am
    by Tom Y.

Yeah, it’s really foolish playing through it, he just ends up playing bad and pretty much costing us the game. Let him rest and recover and give the time to one of the rookies, they’re eager to play and we might actually find a more effective roster while we’re at it.

• Nov 3, 201211:55 am
    by Baxter E

I’m not happy that he has migraines, but I’m happy that there’s a reason he’s played so poorly. Now if you could tell me what’s going on with Monroe…

• Nov 3, 20121:14 pm
      by DasMark

He’s getting physically dominated by seven foot bruisers. You think his first two games were bad? Wait until Dwight Howard makes him look like a D-league player on Sunday, it’s going to be brutal.

• Nov 3, 20122:08 pm
        by Tom Y.

Yeah, that would be awful. Howard should be guarded by Max (who has done a good job on him in the past) and Drummond. It would probably be a good idea to get Karvtsov ready for some minutes as well. That would leave Monroe to guard Gasol, who obviously is still a tough cover but at least not that much stronger and more athletic than him.

• Nov 3, 20121:13 pm
    by DasMark

I had a migraine once, I remember I could barely function. If Stuckey really is dealing with migraines while practicing and playing, that would unquestionably hurt his performance. I can’t even imagine dealing with the loud noises and bright lights.

In that event, you have to give him a pass.

Also, it’s two games into the season. If you were expecting a 50 win team here, you convinced yourself of having a team that doesn’t exist in Detroit. This is a 30 win team for the foreseeable future.

• Nov 3, 20121:25 pm

“This is a 30 win team for the foreseeable future.”

Yep. That’s a huge, huge part of what’s going on here. The Pistons were always going to be a flawed team unlikely to make the playoffs this season. They basically needed every single young player to make a leap forward and all of their veterans to play up to form. Anyone who thought they were a near lock for the eight seed, or that they’d win more than, best-case, about 40 games, was kidding themselves. They have one player on this roster who is even remotely close to all-star caliber. They have a bunch of role players and a handful of unproven young prospects.

People got unrealistic expectations for this team, and now they are holding them to those impossible standards. If Drummond plays a lot and if Knight and Monroe improve by season’s end, those are really the only primary objectives the team should have for the season.

• Nov 3, 20121:50 pm
        by DasMark

I agree. We haven’t seen much early improvement from Knight and Monroe, unfortunately. But the season is young.

I think a lot of fans are anxious for this team to make the leap, but they aren’t there yet.

• Nov 3, 20124:34 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

My Pistons are going to prove you guys wrong(especially Chad Ford’s bf)…I still think we’ll win over 30 games this season…Monroe and Drummond just need to get some quality time together, and Stuckey needs to get healthy…We’ll be OK…

• Nov 3, 201211:01 pm

Wow, I actually agree with Jodi Jezz on something. I too think the Pistons will win over 30 games. i am guessing 30-35. But anything from 25-40 would be unsurprising.

• Nov 3, 201211:05 pm

Well, by 30 win I don’t mean they’re going to win exactly 30. I agree with your range, tarsier. I think their best case would be 40-41, and that’s if absolutely everything goes right.

But the fact is, they’re still a likely lottery team, and right now people are all having to be talked off the ledge in the comments here because they raised their expectations for the team way too high with all of that playoff talk that came out. This team has never been a likely playoff team, but I’ve read comments all summer and preseason from people who think they are.

• Nov 3, 20121:33 pm
    by Domnick

now the problem is… why is monroe unable to produce? he looked so lost in the offensive end…is he dealing some injury? he cant even score like the past season!

• Nov 3, 20122:23 pm
    by BIGMARV

Im just gonna comment on stuckey no monroe or knight. If stuckey knew he had migraines he should have told the trainers or the coach. I know he doesent want to show his teammates and coaches that hes soft and he has to sit because of a headache. He’s a professional player.. go through the proper channels to heal your migrane like meds or somekind of therapy so you can get  back on the court and play the way you suppose to play. If he cant play in LA he has to sit down and let one of the young guys play get healthy first!

• Nov 3, 20122:23 pm
    by T MC

Excuses,excuses!!
    If he had been playing above his average we wouldn’t have heard a peep of this!!!!
    Everybody knows don’t play if you’re hurt & if you do you’re open to criticizism.
    Every year he’s given an excuse
    He had different coaches, bad coaching etc
    Now headaches
    Well he is a headache to the teams development & shouldn’t be considered a cornerstone anymore.

By far your most weak article Pat smh
    When they return to Detroit 0-7 what excuse will you have then?
    Poor hotel room service? Inadequate lodging? Per Diem wasn’t paid? Lol smh

• Nov 3, 20122:45 pm
      by BIGMARV

right and like I said go through the proper channes remeber D-wayde had migranes couple years ago in new york he wore tinted eyewar and still had a good game! its leaning towards more of an excuse than a medical problem do what you have to do to stay healthy if you want a long carreer in the NBA and be a good player.

• Nov 4, 20125:31 pm
      by Max

@T MC….you are ignorant.  It was obvious to anyone watching before the report that something was wrong with Stuckey and while I’m not eager to add to the criticism against Frank–it was his responsibility and not Stuckey’s to sit him or realize he wasn’t going to able to play through the problem and yank him.    Stuckey was holding his head and plugging his ears during every breakage in play so he wasn’t trying to hide anything and the coaches had to know.   And hall of fame players like Scottie Pippen (in a decisive playoff game!) and Kareem have been unable to deal with migraine’s before so it’s not a weak excuse that is exclusive to Stuckey.
      @Bigmarv–maybe Stuckey’s migraine was 10 times more severe than Wade’s.,….how the hell would you know?

• Nov 3, 20123:44 pm
    by Jay

How does a Marshon Brooks swap for Rodney Stuckey sound??

• Nov 3, 20123:53 pm
      by Tiko

I’d love that

• Nov 3, 20124:37 pm
      by Jodi Jezz

Sounds good, but I don’t think the Nets could afford Stuckey…

• Nov 3, 20124:44 pm

Jodi Jezz is right. Nets are over the cap, so the Pistons would have to take back contracts. And I don’t know why they’d get rid of a young, cheap, improving player like Brooks anyway for an expensive guard who would not play a lot behind Johnson/Williams.

• Nov 3, 20123:53 pm
    by Tiko

Im sick of Stuckey.  Migraines or not u cant count on him

• Nov 3, 20125:34 pm
    by James Jones

Maybe if Rodney took his fingers out of his ears when making bad plays to not hear Frank would help…

Anyone else see that loser do that last night after throwing the bad pass to Knight?  He acted like a 2 year old saying lay lay I can’t hear you.

I’ve been saying this guy is a joke for 3 or 4 years now.  When are we going to end this experiment?

• Nov 3, 20128:01 pm
    by gmehl

I had a migraine while watching yesterdays game…it was a muthaf**ker

• Nov 4, 201212:52 pm
    by RalphHau

Tell Stucky to call Scotty Pippen, he seemed to developed those when the Pistons were kicking the Bulls A$$.  Stucky was like that at the end of last year, who knows what is going on in his life, but if he is not able to play a decent game on the floor, he should take himself out until he is felling well enough to play.