NBC Sports: Rodney Stuckey not ‘hunting contact’

We’ve already had plenty of discussion about what is ailing Rodney Stuckey today. Darius Soriano of NBC’s Pro Basketball Talk gets into the act, looking more closely at some of the numbers:

This marginalization of Stuckey’s role could have something to do with how he’s playing. After all, he’s used to being the key ball handler and offensive creator for his team but is making the full-time move to shooting guard this season with the emergence of Brandon Knight at point guard. With the Pistons also looking to be more of a post up oriented team with Greg Monroe demanding more of an offensive role, Stuckey could just be struggling to find his way in a new role as an off the ball player.

That said, even when he has the ball he’s not really looking to be the same attack style player he has been in his first five seasons. He’s still driving the ball into the paint well — half his shots this season have come in the restricted area — but he’s not hunting contact like he has in season’s past, instead trying to be more of a finesse player around the basket. Per-36 minutes his free throw attempts per game are the lowest of his career and is indicative of his lack of assertion around the basket.

Stuckey definitely seems to be shying away from contact some on his drives, but he’s also getting fewer calls than he was last season. This could be because he’s forcing things more and perhaps officials aren’t as willing to give him bailout calls. Who knows. That part of Stuckey’s struggles are hard to explain.

But adding to the numbers Soriano points out, Stuckey’s defensive rating of 114 ties his career-worst. His total rebounding percentage of 4.8 percent so far is a career low. His steal percentage of 0.6 percent is a career low. So his shooting struggles have been compounded by the fact that he’s off-setting the lack of offensive production by also not really contributing in other areas where he usually makes passable contributions.

• Nov 5, 20123:58 pm
    by Mel

To make it plain and simple, NO EFFORT !!!

• Nov 5, 20124:17 pm
    by Desolation Row

We all thought he’d benefit from a transition to SG from PG. Now it’s somehow blowing up in flames.. I think I speak for a lot of Stuckey optimists (myself included) when I say I am beginning to realize that the explanation is most often the simplest: he’s just never going to be as good as we thought he’d be.

He peaked in 2008 in the Boston series — just another lesson about sample size and predicting future outcomes. It feels better to think there might just be one or two external obstacles that, if removed, would stop hindering him from realizing his potential. I think his temporary Twitter account (during contract talks… the one with his pedicured feet as the profile pic) and now his blaming poor results on “migraines” and “touches” have given us a bit of a clue into the fact that he might just not have the mental approach it takes to be a great player in the NBA. It’s not his fault, and I don’t particularly lay blame against him for it… but the sooner the front office can accept this as fact (maybe they have?), the sooner we can put together a good vision for this team on what we actually have versus what we hope/predict we’ll have.

• Nov 5, 20124:19 pm
      by Desolation Row

… and by “we” I mean “The Pistons”. I’m just a petty customer questionably subjected to blackouts on League Pass when the Pistons play the Lakers (I live near neither team’s city).

• Nov 5, 20126:09 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

I think Stuckey should be our 6th man…He could have that entire 2nd unit to himself…Dumars should get on the phone and find us a legit starting SG and allow Stuckey to play combo guard off the bench…Stuckey could still play 28mins a game and could very well find his niche being the our new version of “Vinnie Johnson”…

• Nov 5, 20125:08 pm
      by Guy

“We all thought he’d benefit from a transition to SG from PG”

Most did. I did not. I always believed PG was his only shot to be a good player in the NBA. I admit maybe wasn’t a great answer at Starting PG, but I knew if his position wasnt PG, then his position was 6th man combo. The guy cant shoot. And several of his strengths like size are negated at SG.

I have held similar concerns with Monroe to PF. His strengths are negated at PF. Footspeed for a big was how he was so productive. However, I do agree that Drummond and Monroe need to both play, so our best starting 5 in future is obviously Monroe at PF, I just dont think he’s going to be better off there. I think Center is his best position.

• Nov 5, 20125:07 pm
    by Mark

I think a lot has to do with them force-feeding Knight into a full-time PG role this year. Last year they wanted him to share duties with Stuckey, being that he was a rookie. But now they are making him full-time PG, and Stuckey is not a SG who just spots up and shoots jumpers. I’m not sure Knight is a full-time PG either. I thought the main reason they complimented each other well last year was because they could each play PG half-time. Neither are probably full-time PGs, but by sharing the duties they can combine to make up 1 full-time.

This forcing of Knight into a full-time PG at the expense of the team, just for them to see if he can do it, is eerily similar to when forced Stuckey into a full-time PG early in his career at the expense of the team, just to see if he could do it.

Why can’t this team for once just play the players they have to their strengths, and stop wasting whole seasons just to appease their own curiousity about a players position?

Its like that trading places movie with Eddie Murphy, where the old guys bet if he could do make it as a rich guy. I picture Dumars  sitting up in his suite making bets on whether or not Stuckey and Knight can be PGs.

They are trying to plan too far ahead on everything. Just play the players to their strengths in order to give you the best chance to win, and the rest will sort itself out over time naturally.

• Nov 6, 20121:07 pm
      by frankie d

great points, mark.
      it makes little sense to have stuckey spotting up in the corner, like he is dell curry, shooting 3 pointers.
      and forcing knight to handle the ball almost exclusively, takes away his ability to spot up and shoot the jumper, which he is streaky with, but is capable of making.
      i happen to agree with tay, that stuckey needs more shots.  what is he averaging…7, 8 shots a game?  that is not nearly enough for any shooter/scorer.
      that old cliche about shooters/scorers is so true: the only way for a scorer to get out of a slump is to keep shooting.
      imho, stuckey will soon get out of his slump and pistons fans will grudgingly embrace him, once more. while stuckey is obviously mostly responsible, i do think that a huge share of his recent troubles rests with the coaching staff which is clearly trying to force both stuckey and knight into roles that neither is capable of filling.

• Nov 5, 20125:32 pm
    by DasMark

Excuses, excuses.

Shooting the ball is still shooting the ball, you don’t have to dribble the air out of it for 18 second to still shoot it.

Plain and simple, now that he isn’t “the man” or “the future” of the Pistons, he isn’t putting any effort into his game.

That’s fine. Dumars, get that early termination ready!

• Nov 5, 20127:18 pm
    by RalphHau

This is nothing new for Stucky, the last few games before the end of the 2012 season, Stucky did absolutely nothing, he stood around, when he received the ball he deferred, he did not hussle, he actually took an early vacation.  I do agree that he needs to be involed, both he and Knight have been putting up horrible numbers.  Knight is stuck with his dribbling and Stuckey is “stuck” in a corner waiting to deffer.  I don’t know if Stuckey is pouting, that he is not the man anymore but it looks to me like he does not want to be involved and if that is the case, sit him down.  I am not a Stuckey hater, but I know what he is capable of if he is engaged so either produce or sit!

• Nov 5, 20127:23 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Quote on the meaning of insanity

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Hello Joe …..

• Nov 5, 20127:28 pm
      by Mark

Sounds a lot like Frank too with this starting lineup.

I’m going to start calling him Frank Einstein. Frankenstein for short, lol.

• Nov 5, 20127:46 pm
        by Ozzie-Moto

please don’t give stein a bad name….. (just kid)        Frank was chosen because he be a company guy. I believe he is passionate about the game and smart but he styled right in AND maybe Detroit needs a coach that got more going on the JD does about basketball and NOT afraid to take control.  What ever Detroit been doing it NOT been working for a while    get of of denial over there, new owner been had by the old guard.  I guess he didn’t want the responsibility of go for the big changes the pistons need with out someone failing first to take the heat…..  SAD

• Nov 5, 20127:39 pm
      by Ozzie-Moto

Hanging on to the past way to long ….
         can’t let go of players, over values some and way under values other
      been at the job to long and has lost perspective! He over personalizes the personal decisions
      has ended up with low veteran talent and really young players  I put stuckey as a lower talented player list and the still  a really young player list (worst of both)  just never became a “Pro”  had a mini peak but was coddled and overvalued so long that when he asked to fit in he well “not so interested” … alway played the same way:  drive:  do a bit to much and have nothing left for the shot.. very so so from deep,  gets hot now and then but no special skills on D so it all about effort, if that not there for what ever reason not much to offer. Needs change of scene.   Everyone the says well he the best scorer we is right but he not getting better and in the way of getting someone who is.

• Nov 5, 20129:10 pm
        by Mark

The fact that 40% of our starting lineup still consists of players from the 2006 team is proof that they are still not willing to move on from that era.

• Nov 5, 201210:46 pm
          by Dave

You my friend are so wrong!!! We would need 6 players from 06 on our roster to have a team that consisted of 40% from 06…we only have 3 from that era, Tay, Max, and Stuck – that comes out to 20%!!! We are now one of the youngest teams in the NBA and unless you get a Superstar and side kick – you will not get a championship because young teams don’t win championships….old teams do!  only 8 different champions in the last 20 years and none of the teams were young.  Joe did exactly what the fans asked for….with what was available.  He’s made good draft picks with Drummond and Monroe – steals if you ask me. This is going to take time…just wait on it and don’t give up our bigs. we don’t need a superstar – we just need the right accompliment pieces that will turn Monroe and Drummond into our stars. We actually need a few servicable vets. By the way I’ve read these boards for years and I remember when we lost to Miami – everyone wanted us to get rid of Billups - Tay – or Hamilton to get a superstar. Well getting rid of Billups was the only big mistake I see in Joe. Look at Melo – he hasn’t won anything yet…even with a superteam (this year may be his year but it cost a lot of money).

• Nov 5, 20128:03 pm
    by koz

Dumars is a liability to this team. He blew the #2 pick on Milicic, I believe he had a chance to trade Milicic to Atlanta for Al Harrington in 2005, that didn’t work out, Overvalued Stuckey, undervalued Billups like Ozzie-Moto is saying above, overpaid and overestimated CV and BG, brought that bum Iverson in when Billups wasn’t the real problem. Their was no problem at the time of that trade. The team I believe was 4-0 and kicking butt as usual for that time period. Their were the best team in the NBA at that point. The point I want to make is Dumars blew a chance to get an Anthony, Wade, or Bosh. The team has been in a free fall ever since Billups departed, he was the rock, the quarterback of that squad and Dumars didn’t see it. Good luck in trying to find that chemistry again. Dumars should be held accountable for these decisions sooner rather than later.

• Nov 5, 201210:56 pm
      by Dave

But everyone…including fans was calling for Billups head because of what Wade did to him! The majority of fans wanted Mr Big Shot gone…I for one didn’t. When we gave up Big Ben we gave up the Heart and when we gave up Billups we gave up our brains and you wonder why we’re dead? Tay gave a wise suggestion to Joe - get a vet pass first point guard (ala Billups) to train and mentor Knight.  Oh Bosh wound up wih the superfriends to join Wade and LBJ. I don’t fault Joe as much as I fault fan pressure for something new – a superstar in Detroit – for the departure of Billups.  I think Dumars saw it – but the fans were calling for his head if he didn’t get a superstar.  Lesson- stop looking at someone else’s grass – just be thankful that your grass is green!

• Nov 5, 20128:26 pm
    by zdwtr

Stubborn. Even with the new owner who seems to be up for change Joe and Frank are responsible for their decision to keep playing the old guys (Prince, Stuckey, Maxiell) instead of the new. Playing time based on merit? yeah right

• Nov 5, 20129:12 pm
      by Mark

The bench players must be starting to think Frank is full of crap too, like the fans. He keeps saying the bench players need to earn their minutes, meanwhile they must see how bad the starters are playing and wonder why those players don’t have to earn theirs.

• Nov 5, 20129:14 pm
        by Mark

Playing favorites never bodes well because the creal always rises to the top for all to see, and if he keeps playing the spoiled milk instead it’ll ruin his credibility in the locker room.

• Nov 5, 20129:18 pm
    by Tiko

start English bring Stuckey off bench and/or play him as much as CV or Daye

• Nov 5, 201210:02 pm
      by Nick

I agree Tiko. That one move will make us a better team over night. Start English and let Drummond play 30+ mins. Drummond doesn’t have to start ,but atleast give him starter minutes.

• Nov 5, 201210:58 pm
      by Dave

now that I agree with!

• Nov 5, 201210:02 pm
    by dvs33

I’d like to see stuckey with the ball in his hands more and with knight off the ball.
    At least initially Stuckey can get some aggression back and knight can start shooting more since he’s the best 3 pt shooter in the starting lineup

• Nov 5, 201210:21 pm
      by Nick

@dvs33 Thats a good idea too, but I would like to see a lot more of English since Stuckey is hurt. I like the energy that English brings. To me he has the potential to be another Joe Dumars. Good defense and outside shooting.

• Nov 6, 20121:53 am
    by Tom Y.

So are we all sure it’s not just playing through splitting headaches? A few weeks ago many of us thought he could have his best season yet and more than justify his contract. Three games playing with migraines and now he’s finished?

• Nov 6, 20122:47 am
    by BIGMARV

So if he’s not willing to go inside anymore and take contact (which I can understand sometimes on the way he plays). Why not develop a nice mid range automatic jump shot or fadeaway jumper that he know he will get a basket for sure. I mean most guards do that anyway you dont always have to get your offense thru the foul line refs are not respecting you because youre not playing hard to get the calls.

• Nov 6, 20128:03 am
    by I HATE U FRANK

I said in the pre-season the offense had no flow…. Everything looks like a struggle…

Its sad but the best looking play is Drummond set the Pick for Bynum, which free Bynum to take the 15 foot jumper

BTW: Drummond has not been used creatively at ALL!!!!

• Nov 6, 20129:32 am
    by koz

Since he’s playing controlled and making good decisions, start Bynum at point, Knight at SG, Prince or Singler at the small. Then since Drummond and Bynum appear to have some chemistry, Drummond could start alongside Monroe. Then Stuckey could lead the second unit from point and English at SG and so on. Maybe Stuckey gets some confidence back this way, and if Bynum continues to play well, this team maybe can avoid those huge 1st quarter deficits that suck the hope and fight out of you.

• Nov 6, 20129:34 am
    by danny

I remember last year when we got knight and everyone was impressed by stuckey when he went to the 2.  Everyone was saying about time he plays his natural position.  Yes I read that all on here.  Yes stuckey has had HORRIBLE three or four games.  But you guys are the most fickle fans out there.  Give the man some time before you talk about benching him and cutting him.  Yes he is not as good as he could of been but I know 29 other teams that wouldnt mind having him.

• Nov 6, 201211:22 am
    by Vic

Stuckey can still succeed. Just not totally off the ball. When you have two  scoring guards you need to let them take turns handling the ball.
    Lok at what Cleveland is doing with Kyrie and Dion WaiterS. Yeah our talent level is lower, but the point is that a good coaching staff knows how to switch things up and get the best out of their players instead of just insanely doing the same thing over and over again that doesn’t work http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=51094

• Nov 6, 201211:30 am
    by GPitt

I like the energy English brings not to mention that the piston no longer can rely on Tay to stretch defenses especially on side Monroe is posting on. I could appreciate if FL maade the transition to make him a starter and move Stuck to 6th man. Singler and Jerebko are really makin a case for Tay job…jus sayin’