Kyle Singler to start for Rodney Stuckey, Corey Maggette activated

Keith Langlois of Pistons.com:

Kyle Singler will start for Stuckey (flulike symptoms) and Corey Maggette will be active tonight at Philly

Plenty of fans wanted to see Kyle Singler start – for either Rodney Stuckey or Tayshaun Prince – so tonight will provide that opportunity. Personally, I’m ambivalent about whether Singler starts. He’s getting plenty of minutes (ninth among rookies), anyway. Maybe his outside shooting will help space the floor, but Stuckey’s ability to assume point-guard-like duties has definitely helped when Brandon Knight has an erratic spell. This could be plugging one hole by opening another.

As far as Corey Maggette, I’d still prefer his minutes go to younger players like Kim English and Jonas Jerebko. Plus, if Jerebko played more small forward, that would open more playing time for Andre Drummond.

• Nov 14, 201212:59 pm
    by Domnick

i hope we can finally win.. PHI is not hard! we can beat them!

• Nov 14, 20121:16 pm
    by Vic

I think Singler will help Knight, giving him someone to pass to that can hit a shot and stretch the floor. Defined roles and skills should help the coach too.

• Nov 14, 20121:17 pm
    by apa8ren9

It will be interesting to see how Frank juggles this rotation.   Singler will start but will end up with 25 minutes max and the rest will go to Maggette and Prince.  Maybe the defensive rotations will be better tonight and we wont need Drummond to play more than 13 minutes no matter what he does.  I’d like to see a sharp effort tonight.

• Nov 14, 20121:33 pm
      by EMBRACE THE PROCESS

Watch out….Because Frank might put max at SG

• Nov 14, 20121:20 pm
    by sebastian

I understand that Stuckey has flu-like symptoms, but why is Conan O’Brian starting in his absence. This should be English or hell, move Tay down to SG and start Jerebko at SF, anybody but Conan.
    L. Frank is a dumb ass!

• Nov 14, 20121:23 pm

Singler has played quite a bit at SG this season, and he’s played well no matter what position he’s been at. There are plenty of questionable moves made by Frank. This doesn’t really qualify as one though. It makes sense.

• Nov 14, 20121:31 pm
    by EMBRACE THE PROCESS

Only if Stuckey and Maxiel were roommates….

• Nov 14, 20121:32 pm
    by sebastian

Whatever you say, Patrick.

• Nov 14, 20122:04 pm

Whatever you say yourself. If you’re complaining about Singler, one of like two guys who has actually played well this season, getting a chance to start, you clearly haven’t been paying close enough attention.

• Nov 14, 20123:11 pm
        by sebastian

Patrick, although it has been difficult to watch, I have paid very close attention to OUR Pistons during L. Frank’s redux of his last season in Jersey.
        Note the emphasis on paid, as I foolishly subscribed to the League Pass, thinking that WE would be at minimum a competitive, .500 ball club, this season. (Good thing, there are 29 other teams in the league.)
        Singler is not a SG, sir. In much the same way that Stuckey is not a SG. Heck, currently the only SG on the roster is English, in my humble opinion.

• Nov 14, 20123:42 pm

“Note the emphasis on paid, as I foolishly subscribed to the League Pass, thinking that WE would be at minimum a competitive, .500 ball club, this season.”

Really? That’s the minimum you expected? Honestly, that’s the maximum most people who looked at this roster projected.

“Singler is not a SG, sir.”

Who cares? Is Knight a point guard? Is Monroe a center? Is Maxiell a starting-caliber player? I’m not going to bent out of shape about a young player who has been pretty decent in a limited role getting a chance to play bigger minutes, even if it is slightly out of position. But seriously, go back an watch some footage of Singler. Dude has been playing SG quite a bit and defending opposing SGs a lot this season.

“But, since you are fan of Mr. Kyle Singler and you seem to be the only person, whose opinion matters, then I guess Sir Lawrence Frank is making the best decision.”

I am a fan of getting the five best players on the floor in extended minutes. Singler has pretty clearly been one of their five best players this season. Sure, I’d be a hell of a lot more excited to see Drummond getting a start, since he’s also one of their five best players, but I don’t understand how anyone who has watched as much as you’ve said you have can’t be a little excited that a young player who has exceeded expectations and busts his ass every time he’s on the court is going to get a start tonight.

I would be happy to see English start, but if you’re going to argue that English is better or more deserving of starting than Singler based what they’ve collectively done this season, then you’re just flat out wrong.

• Nov 14, 20123:51 pm
            by sebastian

Go on Patrick, with your bad self. Everything is cool, man.

• Nov 14, 20125:27 pm
            by Prelove

Sebastian. Get over yourself. Your writing isn’t clever at all. I’ve been visiting this site since it started and can honestly say I would love nothing more than (personal attack removed)

• Nov 15, 20121:00 pm
          by sebastian

(personal attack removed)

• Nov 14, 20121:45 pm
    by FUCK FRANK'S PROCESS

I do like singler but to me he is not someone who i want to have the ball in his hands, circling the perimeter looking to create. turner and holiday will pick us apart and get out in transition. this game needs to focus on pounding them in the paint as all they have is hawes, lavoy and thadeus, maybe moultrie.
    i would give more minutes to middleton as to me he has the smoothest offensive game from the rookies. singler looks polished but i just dont trust the ball in his hands with a gaurd defending him. he has shown the ability to create and take some stepback jumpers but i would rather have monroe make decisions like the game against sacramento.

• Nov 14, 20123:01 pm
      by sebastian

Thank you, Fuck Frank’s Process.

• Nov 14, 20123:44 pm

“I do like singler but to me he is not someone who i want to have the ball in his hands, circling the perimeter looking to create.”

Who said he’s going to do that? He’s mostly just going to spot up for jumpers, like he has all season, including the minutes he’s already played at SG.

• Nov 14, 20123:55 pm
        by FUCK FRANK'S PROCESS

Patrick there have been numerous times i’ve watched singler have to dribble around the arc looking for an option simply because we don’t have the offensive creator on this team. As i said i am really impressed with singler, in terms of shooting, hustle and all around game. IMO he gives us what jonas does with accurate shooting and better ball handling. I like him as a spot up shooter but not as a guy that is forced to be a decision maker. Trust me that i’ve watched every minute of pistons ball this year and there are few times where singler has the ball dribbling around the perimeter looking for options that just aren’t there

• Nov 14, 20123:59 pm

As a starter, I would guess that Knight, Prince and Monroe will be getting the bulk of the touches though. Singler will be primarily a floor-spacer in that lineup.

• Nov 14, 20126:28 pm
      by labatts

“I do like singler but to me he is not someone who i want to have the ball in his hands”

From what i have seen, Singler is not turnover prone.  In fact, he seems to be one of the least likely Pistons to make dumb mistakes.  I don’t feel like looking up the numbers, so I could be wrong I guess, but I doubt it.

• Nov 14, 20121:48 pm
    by D_S_V

This should be an emotional game for Wilkins, playing against the Pistons for the first time since joining Philadelphia.

• Nov 14, 20124:02 pm

Haha … wonder if there is a young Austin Daye-style wing on Philly’s roster who is having his confidence wrecked by Wilkins steal his minutes.

• Nov 14, 20121:53 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

I would rather start English or Maggette at the 2 instead of Singler….Dang, we’re going to be 0-9 after tonight’s game…Dumars needs to step down and coach this team, Frank makes awful decisions…

• Nov 14, 20123:02 pm
      by sebastian

Thank you, Jodi Jezz.

• Nov 14, 20121:54 pm
    by Mel

Good, somebody who plays with some smarts to play with Knight I’m all for it. Yeah Singler’s a rookie so expect some mistakes, but at least he has a reason for making rookie mistakes. Some of our vets are still making rookie mistakes.

• Nov 14, 20121:58 pm
    by frankie d

it doesn’t matter that singler starts in stuckey’s place.
    tay will essentially handle lots of the SG duties – primarily handling the ball – as he typically has done.  my guess is that tay will essentially be sliding over to SG, while singler will be moving into tay’s spot.
    at least on offense.  and defensively, they will match up depending on who is on the wings for philly.

• Nov 14, 20123:30 pm
    by Desolation Row

Not sure why there is so much Singler hate on here.. he’s been consistent and performing at a higher level than any of the other wings who could potentially fill in at SG. A guy who could consistently knock down the 3 is valuable in spreading the floor for Monroe. The only argument made above is that he “looks like Conan O’Brien”, which isn’t a real argument. I could see someone wanting English to start, but not to the point where it seems like a travesty to the point where we need to go crazy on message boards if he doesn’t.

• Nov 14, 20124:59 pm

I think it’s all from 2 or 3 people. But yeah, it’s weird. It’s almost like they are mixing him up with Daye.

• Nov 14, 20123:32 pm
    by mixmasta

If we start Kim or Corey, what message does it send to Andre?
    Starting Kyle is just right. Effort/consistency reaps recognition.

• Nov 14, 20123:36 pm
    by Mark

This is good news. I don’t get the philosophy that it doesnt matter if a player starts or not though. Might as well just bring Monroe off the bench and start Maxiell and Jerebko by that logic.

How you start the game more often than not decides who wins

• Nov 14, 20123:37 pm
      by Mark

especially for a young team that cant afford to get behind early

• Nov 14, 20124:16 pm
        by mixmasta

Starting job often pertain to setting the tone and matching up the opponent’s starting 5.

Now, if you have a good start, then all the 2nd unit has to do is to maintain it.
        Else, the 2nd unit have to work their butts off because of failure of the starters.

Following this means that we have to have balance on substitutions all throughout the game. It also means that the starters are trusted to set the tempo of the game.

• Nov 14, 20124:00 pm

Comparing Monroe and Singler isn’t exactly fair. Monroe is an established, productive starter. Singler is a young and developing rookie. Dan’s point was just that for a player like Singler, starting doesn’t matter so much as long as he’s getting regular minutes to develop.

• Nov 14, 20124:39 pm
        by Mark

yeah, true. I was thinking more about what gives us the best chance to win, but at this point your’e right they aren’t making the playoffs anyways, so as long as guys are developing it doesn’t really matter.

• Nov 14, 20124:09 pm
    by darin

I like the fact singled is starting mostly because Stuckey has been aweful. Singled should give us some good minutes.

• Nov 14, 20124:14 pm
    by ShawnJ

The more burn that the rookies get the better off this team will be longterm.  That is what matters most.  I still think that Stuckey is one of Detroits best and most dynamic players but I am glad to see Singler out there.  I just wish all of the youngsters would get more time to play, but that is a consequence of having so many new faces, so many rookies and so many potential combinations.

Frank has to find the right mix of players that gives Detroit the best chance to win and the players have to learn how to play basketball as well as what their strengths and weaknesses are.  The 2004 championship team was not the most athletic or even the most skilled but they complemented each other very well.  Their veteran experience is what set them apart.  Given enough opportunities, I think this team might have that enviable trait of having smart players who will learn from their experience and with their complimentary and exceptional skills set themsevles apart from the rest of the field and bring a championship to Detroit in the process.

So, I think that Kyle Singler is going to be one of the players who sticks with Detroit long term.  And, I don’t care if Detroit loses in the process of allowing the rookies and young players play.  I don’t think there is a danger of creating a losing culture because Kwame Brown is not on this team.  These are good smart players that just need to learn the game by playing.

• Nov 14, 20126:11 pm
    by mixmasta

Can someone give sebastian’s candy back?

• [...] Kyle Singler has moved into the starting lineup, meaning that the Pistons finally have some semblance of offensive [...]

• Nov 14, 201210:15 pm
      by Vic

Wow, amazing that some random nonPiston blogger can see the simple basketball sense moves that will work for us