Kyle Singler to start against Magic

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

Singler will start tonight #Pistons

First, Kyle Singler meshes well with the other starters. Next, Lawrence Frank says Rodney Stuckey will start. Then, Stuckey says he’s fine coming off the bench.

Now? The first big shock of the Pistons’ season. Good ole Flexible Frank strikes again for the first time in his entire coaching career.

• Nov 16, 201211:58 am
    by Anthony

Great first step. I really hope Kyle takes advantage and plays well. hopefully this can be the stepping stone to frank giving youngsters minutes. Hopefully we ge Drummond and English some major minutes eventually. This is definitely a good call in my opinion.

• Nov 16, 201212:28 pm
      by jamesjones_det

If we could trade Stuck and someone/something else for a quality 3 this team would be in good shape.

TP is ok but we don’t really have any good SFs that can presser the hope and score from outside.

• Nov 16, 20122:19 pm
        by XstreamINsanity

Yes, we do.  It’s Kyle Singler.  That’s his natural position.  But he’s doing alright at SG.

• Nov 16, 20122:48 pm
          by jamesjones_det

True, I guess I should have said SG/SF, we just need someone that can shoot form outside at SG and someone that can do both at SF is all I really meant by that.

• Nov 16, 20127:06 pm
        by swish22

Additionbysubtractio

• Nov 16, 201212:10 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

Our coach has lost his little mind…Dammit Frank, you’re destroying my Pistons!..

• Nov 16, 201212:26 pm
      by jamesjones_det

By benching a crappy player?  Or did I miss the sarcasm?

• Nov 16, 201212:42 pm
        by rick

I forgot Singler is an All Star and the whole team is crappy if we telling truths. I know you like Singler but the move is much more deeply rooted than Stuckey starting or not. The man said he had no problem with it and that starting isnt anything more than hearing your name called during intros. Trust me they aint winning anything with this starting lineup and I like how it coincides with playing against two of the more crappier teams in the league. We will see how much of a tangleable effect it has when they start playing better teams.

• Nov 16, 20122:29 pm
          by Mark

right, because they just dominated all the good teams with Stuckey starting…smh

• Nov 16, 20122:46 pm
          by jamesjones_det

How many All Star games has Stuckey been in again?

• Nov 16, 20122:52 pm
          by jamesjones_det

It’s because he’s white isn’t it?

• Nov 16, 20125:29 pm
            by rick

Thats plain ignorant for you to make that assumption. Im gonna chalk it up to you being stupid. My point is if Singler is better suited to start then why is Drummond not starting? Why not have have a vetreran laden second team that consist of Bynum, Stuckey,Jerebko,Charlie V, and Maxiel? If it is all aout making the team better. Trust me I am just like Stuckey in I could care less whether I start or not as long as I play and contribute. Nothing do with color except for the fact that I am color blind and could care less what his complexion is and you made an ass out of yourself for assuming $hit.

• Nov 16, 20125:43 pm
            by jamesjones_det

@rick chill out big guy, I was just making a joke.

• Nov 16, 20121:09 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

@jamesjones: Stuckey is a crappy player???

• Nov 16, 20122:47 pm
          by jamesjones_det

• Nov 16, 20122:50 pm
            by Jodi Jezz

And let me guess, you think Singler is a better player than Stuckey?..

• Nov 16, 20122:57 pm
            by jamesjones_det

@Jodi Jezz he’s a better shooter then Stuckey is, and this team needs people that can knock down perimeter jump shoots.  Something Stuckey can’t do.

Stuckey is probably better all around currently but Singler will probably be a better player as he learns the NBA.

Stuckey is a one dimensional player that really hasn’t improved all that much since entering the league.  It’s great he’s welling to come off the bench but the guy really isn’t starter marital anyway, he just starts on a bad team.

• Nov 16, 20123:38 pm
            by Jodi Jezz

I agree with you that Singler may be a better shooter than Stuckey, but no way is Stuckey a one dimensional player…He can play the 2 or 1, he can play defense, he can get to the foul line, and he can knock down a mid-range jumper(maybe not consistently)…Singler is more one dimensional compared to Stuckey…All Singler has going for him is his jump shot which is something we need at the 2 right now…

I don’t mind Stuckey playing 6th man at all, I just think it would benefit Knight and Stuckey if we traded for a legit SG…Our opponents won’t respect Singler…

• Nov 16, 20123:59 pm
            by jamesjones_det

@Jodi Jezz – no argument from me there, I would love nothing more then to have a legit SG on this team.

• Nov 16, 201212:23 pm
    by Desolation Row

Finally, something that makes sense with this team.

• Nov 16, 201212:25 pm
    by jamesjones_det

Yes!  Spread that floor, not sure why it’s taken so long for the staff at (insert number here) championship drive to figure this part out…

• Nov 16, 201212:26 pm
    by RalphHau

I congratulate coach Frank for his decision, I believe Singler will make a great contribution to the starting group.  I hope that coach Frank does not stop there, I believe that there are other additional changes that make sense!

• Nov 16, 201212:29 pm
    by labatts

I’m curious to see how Stuckey adjusts to this.

• Nov 16, 201212:34 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

Best new we could get before the game starts. I hope Singler capitalizes on this new chance to prove he can be the starting PF. The better he plays the more difficult for Frank to remove him for the starting lineup. Good news Stuckey has no problem coming off the bench.

• Nov 16, 20122:21 pm
      by XstreamINsanity

Starting PF?  Singler will be starting at SG.

• Nov 16, 201212:36 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

By the way I meant “starting SG” instead of “starting PF”…lol

• Nov 16, 20122:21 pm
      by XstreamINsanity

Then I take away my previous comment.  :)  Too quick to react.  lol.

• Nov 16, 201212:36 pm
    by Crispus

JR Stuckey is in the works. Just gotta work on that 3 and get some more tattoos.

• Nov 16, 201212:45 pm
    by frankie d

hopefully this will be the first in a series of decisions that actually move the team forward.
    last year, the team turned around once max got into the starting line-up.  maybe the same thing can happen with singler.
    and kudos to stuckey for being smart enough to understand that his best move might be as a jason terry-style 6th man.
    some guys, no most nba players, would stubbornly resist such a move.    it will be fun to see how it turns out.

• Nov 16, 20121:52 pm
    by Mel

I have to give Stuckey credit for this move, he knows his limitations and he saw how Singler plays better than him in the half court sets. I’m not saying Singler is going to be the savior but he know how to play basketball and play within the flow of the game, Stuckey does not. Stuckey wants to run like they do on the west coast. It may work I just hope he at least shares the ball with Drummond. Good move Stuckey, way to help out your dumb coach.

• Nov 16, 20122:15 pm
    by Brian S

Will be interesting to see how this effects the rotation.  I’ve been thinking that Stuckey could benefit for more time with the ball in his hands, and coming off the bench he can get that… Does that mean Bynum moves out of the rotation? Because he and Stuckey are even more of a bad on-court fit that Stuckey/Knight.  Maybe because I grew up on the Bad Boys, but I’ve always been a big fan of a 3 guard rotation, and Stuckey coming off the bench seems to move that to a more realistic possibility.  I don’t mind Bynum out of the rotation, while he has occasionally provided a spark, I think he’s been more of a liability overall.

• Nov 16, 20122:25 pm
    by bugsygod

Well, 9 games into the season and the first shake up occurs.  I see Drummond starting by the trade deadline, which is after the all star game.  That will leave about 30 games to end the season and get ready for next year.
    Finally Frank shows some flexibility, now just gotta show that to Drummond.

• Nov 16, 20122:49 pm
    by apa8ren9

Lets give Frank some credit.  I will he is living up to his word.  I didnt think Singler would start but he definitely earned it.   Im going tonight so we will see how it looks.   If it contributes to a victory Im all for it.  Lets hear it for the “process”, Lets hear it for agenda-free basketball!  Hip Hip…

• Nov 16, 20122:58 pm
    by Delray313

Hey guys nobody said anything about will bynum i think stuckey will be much better than bynum our second unit should be damn good with this move. Stuckey can get to the rim with ease and drummond wil benefit from that on the offensive glass. Bynum should go to the d league forever.

• Nov 16, 20123:32 pm
    by Vic

Wow, didn’t expect this at all. Looks like they want to win. The first unit is going to play a lot better with better spacing and passing, and Stuckey will shoulder the load of the 2nd unit flow with his attacking. Kudos to Stuckey being smart and humble.

Now let’s see if they play Drummond for 20+ mins regularly. If so, bye bye Shabazz.

• Nov 16, 20124:58 pm
    by Prelove

Patrick, can you somehow block the i.p. address of the knuckle head that has about 6 screen names and corresponds between them!? : )

• Nov 16, 20127:41 pm
    by T Casey

Kudos to Stuckey for opting to come off the bench when he didn’t have to because he believes it may help the team too. Now, let’s see how well Singler and the rest of the team perform tonight and see if this lineup works out as well for us as many of us believe it will.