Kyle Singler blasts ahead of already increasing expectations, leads Pistons’ ball movement in win over Trail Blazers

Portland Trail Blazers 101 Final
Recap | Box Score
108 Detroit Pistons
Jason Maxiell, PF 34 MIN | 5-9 FG | 1-2 FT | 5 REB | 3 AST | 11 PTS | +7

Dunked so hard, he nearly broke Jared Jeffries’ nose, which might be the most Jason Maxiell play of all time.

Tayshaun Prince, SF 31 MIN | 4-9 FG | 2-2 FT | 4 REB | 4 AST | 10 PTS | +11

Prince played fine overall, but I especially liked how he played. He moved the ball well and protected it – a combination few current Pistons have mastered or even shown for a single game.

Kyle Singler, SF 36 MIN | 6-7 FG | 1-1 FT | 10 REB | 5 AST | 16 PTS | +13

An all-around great game from Singler. He attempts to score only when he has good looks, and that’s why his shooting percentages are so high. Add some tremendous hustle, and Singler contributed in every phase. I don’t want to ignore his 10 rebounds, two steals or block, but his five assists – a team high on a night the Pistons had 26 as a team – really stood out. I won’t overreact to only one game, but I’m seriously rethinking my perception of Singler’s ceiling.

Greg Monroe, C 33 MIN | 8-16 FG | 4-8 FT | 10 REB | 3 AST | 20 PTS | -1

Monroe is such a special offensive center. His skillset makes him very fun to watch and very effective most nights. Monroe’s defense was slightly subpar, even handicapping for difficult-for-anyone matchup with LaMarcus Aldridge, but Monroe defended well enough to remain the A range.

Brandon Knight, PG 33 MIN | 9-17 FG | 5-5 FT | 6 REB | 2 AST | 26 PTS | +13

Knight looked decisive tonight, and that was all the difference with his shot. He also did a good job sticking with Damian Lillard on the other end. A 2:5 assist:turnover mark shows Knight still needs work, though.

Charlie Villanueva, PF 15 MIN | 4-6 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 10 PTS | -2

"I don’t know if I’ve ever been madder about a player playing well than Villanueva these last two games." -Patrick Hayes

Corey Maggette, SF 16 MIN | 0-2 FG | 0-1 FT | 2 REB | 3 AST | 0 PTS | -6

Even Maggette kept the ball moving! He’d had this many assist per minute in only 2.6 percent of his career games. Add bad defense and misses on all his shots and only free throw, though, and Maggette played poorly overall.

Andre Drummond, C 14 MIN | 1-6 FG | 0-0 FT | 6 REB | 0 AST | 2 PTS | +8

Drummond’s defense wasn’t quite to the level it was against the Knicks, but his biggest strength was still on display: his athleticism. Once again, Drummond got rebounds and blocks no other Piston can. His speed led to a nice fastbreak dunk, but his offense was a jumbled mess overall tonight.

Will Bynum, PG 5 MIN | 1-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 2 PTS | -7

Bynum saw an extremely reduced role as Rodney Stuckey picked up his play. A sign of things to come?

Rodney Stuckey, PG 23 MIN | 4-6 FG | 2-3 FT | 1 REB | 4 AST | 11 PTS | -1

In the first half, Stuckey didn’t show much, which has been the norm at all times for him lately. But he was much more engaged in the second half and made a number of quality plays. Hopefully, this is a game Stuckey can build off.

Lawrence Frank, HEAD COACH

That Jason Maxiell-Charlie Villanueva frontcourt probably wasn’t a great idea, though it lasted for only one defensive possession. Unfortunately, Portland made a 3-pointer. Frank can’t be afraid to play Drummond or Monroe with two first-half fouls. Drummond doesn’t play enough for personal foul trouble to matter, and Monroe, who finished with two fouls, doesn’t foul enough to self impose a punishment (benching your best player).

• Nov 26, 201210:53 pm
    by Al

Great win!! Singler is the MAN!! I think Stuckey just officially lost his job! I like what i saw from Knight tonight, its like Frank gave him the green light after intense PG mind mentality programming all summer long which may now payoff via overall game growth and unselfishness. Moose is Moose and Drummond still should play more. CV, well lets just monitor him a little longer… Good win tho overall.

• Nov 27, 20129:45 am

Stuckey isn’t losing his job, although he may get fewer minutes. Bynum is the one out of the rotation.

• Nov 26, 201210:53 pm
    by Mone

I rather have Daye over Prince and Magette… Drummond over Maxielle, Charlie V and Jonas… We also need to atleast throw some garbage minutes at Slava.. STOP GIVING ALL THE MINUTES TO BORING OLD VETS FRANK!!!!

• Nov 26, 201210:55 pm
    by Mone

Still good win overall.. I knew Knight could ball if he stop worrying about doing bad… Just ball young fella..

• Nov 26, 201210:55 pm
    by jerrific

“I don’t know if I’ve ever been madder about a player playing well than Villanueva these last two games.” -Patrick Hayes

I loled at that. and I defintily agree. Charlie V. playing well isn’t good for this team. Knowing Frank it’s probably going to cut into Drummonds playing time long after CV stops outperforming his ability, even though Drummond will continue to put up ridiculous per 36 minutes stats. Even if CV keeps scoring like this, we need Drummonds defense more than we need his offense.

• Nov 26, 201210:56 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I HATE FRANK!!!! but he get a higher grade from me tonight…he had the intent on playing Drummond more but those 2 quick fouls hurt….and the rotation was solid

I always said Singler was such a great fundamentally sound player… he is like the Tim Duncan of Sf’s …

Knight always seem to have early turnover and then doesnt have many through the game..he had 3 to in the first qrt.. but when he is in attack mode, theres only a flew players that can stop him from getting any shot he wants

Back to Drummond…. my beef with Drummond ….. He needs to play with FORCE!… twice I felt like he could have went up strong and dunked it authority … but he hasnt been doing it… that frustrates me….he’s been practice with Monroe too much…DRE PLEASE JUST GO UP AND FINISH!!!

his defensive awareness was very high today, and he probably could have had too more blks…and if the did pick of those quick two fouls…i think he would have had another double digit rebound game…

But when he was in the game..Portland had nothing going toward the basket…

• Nov 27, 20129:47 am

Tim Duncan is known for his sound fundamentals, But what often gets lost there is his incredible degree of talent. On that count, Singler can’t compare.

• Nov 26, 201211:03 pm
    by Moonchild

I wanna trade Prince and Jerekbo for Tyreke Evans, throw in Daye also if they want him.  we need a dominate two guard who can get to the rim, playm ake and play D….it  would also allow us to shift singler to his more natural 3 position.  Make it happen Joe D!!!!

• Nov 27, 20121:07 am
      by Bullshit Trade Police

Ah hem…. citation.

• Nov 26, 201211:03 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

the bad thing about his game…. is we are not going to shoot 60% for 3′s often…and we did give up 31 ft attempts…. and that defense we play still gives up too many open looks… and I actually think all of the trapping fatigues the players…so later in the game the rotations are slower….

We need to just play man to man… or zone….

Drummond still needs to start…and I think Maxiell will be better off the Bench Than Drummond….

Drummond defensive presence is soo clear…if wish I could find some kind of chart.. that shows what he does as a defensive presence when he is in the game

• Nov 27, 201210:00 am

Fatiguing the players is only a problem when you lack a trustworthy bench. When you are trying to find minutes for players, go ahead and fatigue them to your heart’s content.

• Nov 26, 201211:08 pm
    by Travis

Trade CV while his stock is at an all-time high! Seriously, I’m hoping Lawerence Frank is under orders to showcase CV and Maxiell. Bynum & Daye will be throw ins.

• Nov 27, 201210:01 am

Trading CV would only make sense if you could get an expiring deal for him straight up (and that still wouldn’t help from a basketball perspective, it would just save Gores some amnesty money). And that ain’t happening right now. To get an expiring deal would require throwing in an asset. That isn’t worth it.

• Nov 26, 201211:09 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Detroit use to run a lob play for Ben Wallace atleast once a game… Drummond needs that same play atleast twice a game….

• Nov 26, 201211:17 pm
    by Nine_Fat_Stalks

Yes, Drummond needs to dunk those

I think Jerebko should be getting Maggette’s minutes. Everyone’s been down on JJ this year but I think if you put him out there with, yes, CV, he could shine.

Knight looks to have turned a corner of sorts, playing more on instinct while staying mostly in control. I’ve seen people compare his game to Tony Parker and I think something close to that could be his ceiling. Like Parker (and Chauncey), I have my doubts that he’ll ever average more than 7 assists at most, but he can still be an effective pg.

• Nov 26, 201211:19 pm
    by Brian S

Glad not to see Bynum in 2nd half and amazingly Stuckey plays better – fingers crossed…  I still think CV is a redeemable nba player and can have a role as a bench scorer… There are 10-15 minutes available and he stretches the floor with the 2nd unit… Now if Jonas or Kim could just replace magette and Frank shifts more of Max’s minutes to Drummond, the rotation will actually make sense.

• Nov 26, 201211:23 pm
    by ryan

When I saw that Charlie Villanueva had played more minutes than Andre Drummond my first thought was, “I would donate money to have Lawrence Frank killed.” I then calmed down and reminded myself that it’s just a basketball game and that killing people is not okay. I think I need to ease up on watching the Godfather. Moving on to the positive.

Kyle Singler had an amazing game and people are seeing what he’s capable of but at the same time I’m sure he’s still catching teams by surprise. The real test will be next season. If he can keep it up when people are looking for him then we’ll know it’s legit.
    Being a big Duke fan I’m doubly happy to see all of this. People doubted him but the kid has decent athletic skills, good basketball skills and he gets after it. Take those things and add his height and you’ve got a good player. He reminds me of Shane Battier in the way he can play different positions and contribute in different ways the difference being Singler’s stronger on offense while Battier’s better on defense and, as of now, better overall.

Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight just keep being fun. When they finally start letting Andre Drummond run with them…

How can we start a people’s revolt against playing the veterans? Would people be interested in flooding the Piston’s facebook page with demands for Drummond, Middleton and English?

• Nov 26, 201211:36 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

“Kyle Singler had an amazing game and people are seeing what he’s capable of but at the same time I’m sure he’s still catching teams by surprise.”

it would be some great for our offense if teams started to plan for Singler…that would just open things up for Monroe and Knight soo much

• Nov 26, 201211:48 pm
    by bugsygod

Shhhhh but um the pistons are 4-3 since starting 0-8 and they have phoenix coming Wednesday.   Just think when this jerk of a coach starts playing drummond.

• Nov 27, 201212:04 am
    by Mel

Only negative for not having Bynum on the floor is that he knows how to get Drummond involved offensively. Monroe does too but he never gets to play with Drummond. Singler is not a surprise to me , the dude played for Duke for God sake and he help win a championship in college and overseas. He just know how to play basketball. Him and Kevin Love grew up playing against each other in high school, I just hope that he plays as good as Love, for his position of course. He helped make that first half easy for everyone. I want to see him and Love go at it. Oh yeah, good grade for Frank and good energy and effort for the team.

• Nov 27, 201212:34 am
      by Mark

eh, that Bynum getting Drummond involved on offense lasted about 2 preseason games. Since then, the only way he involves Drummond is using him to set screens, so he can dribble around more and get a better shot for himself.

Stuckey is a better PG than Bynum, no question. And the way Singler is playing, there’s no reason Stuckey should be taking any minutes from Kyle, when he could taking all of them from Bynum.

We’ll be a better team when Bynum is out of the rotation.  I’d just rotate Knight/Singler/Stuckey at the guards. I’d also give Maggettes min to English at backup SF.

Knight/Stuckey
      Singler/Knight
      Prince/English
      Monroe/Maxiell
      Drummond/CV

• Nov 27, 201210:06 am

Singler could blow all expectations out of the water by having a Battier-esque career. But he will never approach Kevin Love. Love is possibly the NBA’s best player at his position.

• Nov 27, 201212:07 am
    by hirobeats

Why can’t we admit that Jonas has flat out sucked this year and deservedly lost his spot in the rotation.

• Nov 27, 20122:14 am
      by jerrific

He’s definetly struggling right now, but he had some great moments earlier in the season and has value as a player. I just don’t see that value being at the PF position though. I don’t understand why he didn’t get a fair shake as the back up SF/SG. He could be at least as productive as Maggette has been.

• Nov 27, 20121:09 pm
        by T Casey

I don’t came up with the bright idea to run him at the 4, but with Villanueva seemingly back to himself again, I don’t see why we can’t still  run Jerebko at the 3.

• Nov 27, 201212:12 am
    by Mel

I wouldn’t blame Jonas frank is not using the guy right. I watched hm play for Sweden this summer and he dominated, definitely improved his game. He also played good during preseason. Frank has him out of position and he plays better with Monroe also.

• Nov 27, 201212:26 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Last 3 games Drummond has 30 rebound. 15!!! OFFENSIVE!!!! 5blks and 3 stls ….. Playing 24mins,19mins, and 14mins … In retrospect in the last 3 games Maxiell has 15 rebs TOTAL! 1blk and 1stl …. Playing 20 mins,24 mins, and 34 mins ….

When you really look at the numbers it makes you sick

• Nov 27, 201212:31 am
    by Delray313

I told you people Cv can ball why are some of you guys mad this is great for the team he is the only one with his skill set set on offense. the flow is there now guys and Cv needs to play some of that nice contract he got, i have no problem with Cv playing. Maggette can just leave really dude you are past your prime i rather see daye or english or middleton. Bk7 is on a mission baby i love the way we are playing

• Nov 27, 201212:36 am
      by Desolation Row

Not sure if this guy is trolling or is somehow related to Charlie Villanueva….

• Nov 27, 20129:41 am
      by Crispus

I don’t get to watch much pistons but from what I saw against the Raptors nobody was getting the ball in good position and everyone seemed scared to shoot. Maybe this is why we keep trigger men like CV and Daye around.

• Nov 27, 20121:55 pm
      by Jodi Jezz

@Delray, ignore them…The same ones hating on Charlie V are ones that actually think Singler is our future SG…I don’t care if Singler had 50pts tonight, that Canon O’Brain looking guy isn’t a legit starter for the Pistons(maybe for the Raptors, Jazz, or Suns)…He’s making our Pistons image look bad with his awful defense…

• Nov 27, 201212:38 am
    by Mark

I’m tired of Jerebkos act. He somehow manages to do nothing, but does it while looking like he’s playing hard, so he fools the coach’s into thinking he’s contributing. In reality he’s done nothing this year. CV has already played better in 2 games than Jerebko has all year. I like CV better as the backup right now. And if he keeps it up he might even become another trade asset.

• Nov 27, 201212:52 am
    by bball4224

I just might have to whip out my Villanueva jersey.

• Nov 27, 20121:04 am
    by Rekindled

Can you guys include an up-to-date season average of grades with every post?  It’d be interesting to see overall how they fare according to the PistonPowered standard.

• Nov 27, 20121:13 am
    by TMC

Funny people say Bynum is so terrible.
    But when he plays 20+ mins good things happen.
    And when we play elite good teams & your fav players always got locked down, he’s always still effective lol
    Like really when he played consistent mins he just set piston assist records & 4th quarter scoring records.
    Don’t you ever believe Stuck is a better point! Stuckey been here for year and still has no chemistry with anybody!! And is terrible in the pick and roll.
    Every game Bynum plays big mins he looks awesome

And all the CV hate needs to stop!!!
    People act like he so trash and he shouldn’t be in the league & surprised he has been scoring.
    The man been putting up numbers his whole life til he got frank as a coach!!!

• Nov 27, 201210:09 am

You mean that he was good under Kuester?

• Nov 27, 201211:03 am

he being CV of course

• Nov 27, 201211:02 am

Bynum’s career stats (per 36 minutes): 14.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 6.0 apg, 1.4 spg, 2.9 topg on 44/24/80 in 18 mpg

In 20+ minute games (per 36 minutes): 16.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 6.1 apg, 1.5 spg, 2.7 topg on 46/25/82 in 27 mpg

In 25+ minute games (per 36 minutes): 16.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 6.0 apg, 1.4 spg, 2.6 topg on 47/28/81 in 31 mpg

So yeah, Bynum has been ever so slightly better in games he has played big minutes. But hardly so much so that you can say big minutes make him play better. More likely, when he is playing well, he is rewarded with additional playing time; and when he is playing poorly, he gets yanked. But mostly, my point is, he has put up quite similar numbers either way.

• Nov 27, 20121:09 pm
        by apa8ren9

I believe the only relevant question when it comes to Bynum’s minutes is:  Can he play 36 minutes a game as the lead guard for a 50 win team?  I believe the answer is no.   He does not impact the game that way, so his role is what it is.

• Nov 27, 20121:36 am
    by Tom Y.

I think Drummond’s lost some control on offense because he’s frustrated, maybe he’s trying to do too much to get more PT, as apparently all the great stuff he did before wasn’t enough for Frank. The guy has  his first double-double and earns the team a win and you cut his minutes back from 25 to 19 to 14… smh. Hard to enjoy even a win when I’m seeing this. And yeah, kinda hard to root for Charlie. Love Singler though.

• Nov 27, 201211:03 am
      by I HATE FRANK

Drummond needs to play with more authority….I said it before PHYSICALLY including his athletic abilities name the players that can really match up with him pound for pound…

• Nov 27, 20123:37 am
    by DG

First I’m as inpatient as any Pistons fan.  I want to see Drummond play more, too.

But I think people need to ease up on Frank a bit.  Sure the Pistons started 0-8.  But that’s a real small sample size.  So, too, is their 4-3 since then.  But it’s much more reflective of people’s expectations of the Pistons based on how they finished last year.  They also had a 6 game road trip out west to start the season.  Even the Heat probably would lose a couple of those games.

One area that Frank does seem to do well is in player development, relative to other coaches the Pistons have had.  Just look at how the last few draft picks (Monroe, Knight) have developed relative to earlier one’s (Milicic – Daye).  And yes Drummond seems well ahead of reasonable anticipation.  Singler’s looking like a second round steal.

I think Stuckey will get things turned around.  Now CV’s adding some value.  What other coach has gotten anything out of CV?  Maybe it’s trade value, but even that helps long term. the Pistons still could use some floor spacers with players like Stuckey, Knight and Drummond needing room to operate.  CV can pop the three ball better than most Pistons.

Look out NBA, the Pistons are getting better.  Frank deserves some of the credit too, if he gets the blame when things aren’t going well.

Still…just play Drummond for Christ’s sake.  He’s the most exciting thing to happen to the Pistons in a long time!

• Nov 27, 20125:09 am
    by Hans

As a Swede it really sucks to get up early to watch last night’s game only to find that JJ didn’t get any minutes. Again.
    Even though I’m clearly not impartial I think Jerebko could and would contribute to the Pistons play. However, my five cents would be that he hasn’t been playing in the right 5. Keep rotating and find guys who play well together.

What I would really like, is some kind of official statement of why he is benched.

He used to be such an energy provider. Watching last game he hardly stood up and cheered when the Pistons scored.

Any trade rumors that hasn’t reached us here overseas? Or what? Meh.

• Nov 27, 20128:13 am
      by Edgar

Such a weird situation. We’ve seen enough to know Jerebko’s a team-oriented, energetic, hard-working athlete. Unless there’s something weird going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about, I think Frank’s doing him a disservice. I bet Jerebko could be a rotation player on the Spurs or the Heat and yet Frank can’t find adequate use for him. Weird.

• Nov 27, 201211:17 am
      by MIKEYDE248

Jonas played very good at the beginning of the season, but seems to be working his way out of the rotation.  I have a feeling that it has more to do with Frank than Jonas.  He did the same thing last year too.

He will probably turn into another player that the Pistons trade away and flurishes elsewhere.

• Nov 27, 20128:03 am
    by Edgar

Yeah, it’s this kind of game that shows that we’re headed to another 30ish-win season and the 7-9th pick in the draft for the fourth straight year. Hello Alex Len instead of Nerlens Noel. By all means, let’s keep playing Maggette and Villanueva and Maxiell and other guys good enough to beat mediocre-to-bad teams every once in a while. Awesome.

• Nov 27, 20128:14 am
    by Vic

This is just good simple basketball. The first thing I said when Singler was moved to. The first lineup is that Bynum needed to be moved out of the 2nd lineup and they needed someone to space the floor in the 2nd lineup. I said English, but Frank chose Villanueva because Kim plays defense too well.

But half of a good move is better than the idiocy we had to endure the first 10 games of the season. Frank has moved from an F to a D- (letting Stuckey coach himself and letting Stuckey save the season by moving to the bench), but still not giving Drummond 25 min… To now having a C- for actually making a move that worked, even though it wasn’t completely the most effective move he could have made.

• Nov 27, 20128:46 am
    by Michelob Mike

Rotation should be
    Knight/Stuckey
    Singler/Stuckey/English
    Prince/Jerebko
    Monroe/Villanueva
    Drummond/Maxiell

dag nabit! Maxiell can hold his own against bench fives.

• Nov 27, 20129:01 am
    by Dr. D

I used to check this blog more than I do now. To be honest, I am tired of the “play Drummond more whining”. At first it was interesting but now Dan and Patrick please move on…it is annoying.

As far as those who blame FRANKS for his play time…is it possible this is a mandate from JOE? This has happened in the past to young players on the Pistons team, so maybe it isn’t a coach thing, but a GM thing.

• Nov 27, 20129:05 am
      by Vic

Real easy to say after we win a couple games…

But when we lost every game it was very appropriate to call for a solution.

• Nov 27, 20129:24 am

“At first it was interesting but now Dan and Patrick please move on…it is annoying.”

Actually, it has always been annoying that a player out-producing other players can’t get more minutes. Don’t blame us, blame the team that has embraced a strategy of not having one of its best players on the floor more often. If Drummond not playing contributes to an outcome of a game, we’ll write about it. Frank made a weird decision to take him out vs. Portland despite the fact that Portland’s perimeter players were attacking the rim on virtually every play in the fourth. Why would you not want your best rim protector in in that situation? Please explain to me how it is not relevant.

“As far as those who blame FRANKS for his play time…is it possible this is a mandate from JOE?”

I have no idea who Franks is. Perhaps if you could spell the coach’s name right, your comment would be taken more seriously.

“This has happened in the past to young players on the Pistons team, so maybe it isn’t a coach thing, but a GM thing.”

Not sure about Dan, but I know that I’ve written that sentiment before. In fact, I also talked at length about it on the Portland podcast I linked to yesterday. It’s possible that this is what Dumars wants. That doesn’t make it any less questionable though.

• Nov 27, 201212:23 pm
        by XstreamINsanity

I think they’re a member of DBB where they often put a picture of Ballpark Franks when referring to Coach Frank, so many people there just refer to him as FRANKS.

• Nov 27, 201211:07 am

I don’t care if it is Frank’s decision or Dumars’. Either way, it is a stupid decision.

• Nov 27, 20129:33 am
    by Scott Free

Another nice game from Knight.  Statistical tidbit from MLive on his season: Brandon Knight leads all players under age 22 in assists (including Kyrie Irving).

• Nov 27, 20129:37 am

In fairness, though, Kyrie has been injured and played in five fewer games.

• Nov 27, 201211:12 am
        by I HATE FRANK

Knight has turned the corner….

I promise I could coach this team….

I said Knight needs to just play his attacking style of offense…it makes the team much better…

knight as a scoring 18,19, 20ppg …and getting 3-5 ast…. is scarey than and harder to plan for than Knight scoring 11-13ppg and gets 6-8 ast…..

I believe Head to head..only a few players can check Knight on average day…. Rondo, Westbrook, Chris Paul …. Knight has a deep ball that needs to be respected, he can finish at the rim with either hand, he has a n explosive first step… and How I know Knight reads “Pistons Powered” and listens to me… I said during the Pre-season that he has to GET RID OF THAT UGLY NON-Effective Floater…and I havent seen it since early in the the season…

Now Listen to me Knight, keep attacking and…. Tell DRE..To DUNK THE BALL!!!! NO MORE PRETTY LITTLE SOFT LAY-UPS

• Nov 27, 201211:17 am
          by I HATE FRANK

knightscoring 18,19, 20ppg …and getting 3-5 ast…. is scarier  and harder to plan for than Knight scoring 11-13ppg and gets 6-8 ast…..

• Nov 27, 201212:08 pm

“How I know Knight reads “Pistons Powered” and listens to me…”

someone is a little full of himself

• Nov 27, 20122:07 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

LOL! im just excited about the Kid…if he goes down in flames…he should do it his way, not trying to be something he is not…

• Nov 27, 201211:15 am
    by Travis

Wow. This group of commentators are a fickle bunch. One game it’s CV in the doghouse and they next day it’s Jonas. Two games from now it will be Prince in the doghouse and Daye out of the doghouse. Judge the Pistons over the span of 7 games instead of 1 and the outlook on the team may improve. Emphasis on “may”.
    Just like in the NFL, it’s always easy to root for the back-up quarterback when the starting quarterback isn’t winning games.

• Nov 27, 201211:21 am
      by MIKEYDE248

I don’t care if CV scores 30 points a game, I would still rather have Jonas playing.  Same goes for Max vs. Drummond or anyone vs. Maggette.

Build for the future.

• Nov 27, 201211:46 am

I guarantee….

If there was a press release….That Drummond,Monroe and Singler was the new front court for the Pistons, with Knight and English in the backcourt…

You’d see ticket sales for the Palace go up…

Piston fans have been Maxiell for 8 years we know what he can and cant do….We know what Prince can and cant do, and we know what Stuckey can and cant do…and so does the rest of the league….

We dont know Drummonds ceiling, we dont know Singlers Ceiling, We dont know English ceiling ….. Expectation breeds excitement….

• Nov 27, 201212:02 pm
          by MIKEYDE248

Exactly.  Stuckey is the only question mark.  He can be the best or worst player on the team on any given night.  I think the team is better off with out him though.  They all seem to mesh better when he isn’t on the floor and if he has a good night, it seems like nobody else does.

• Nov 27, 201212:13 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

i would much rather Stuckey on the floor with…

English, Maxiell, Maggette(if its a must, id rather Jonas) and Charlie….

Stuckey becomes the main ball handler, and he’s have other guys that can shoot from the corners. at the top of the key, and spot up…. jumpers Maxiell …it wouldnt be a defensive bunch but the could put up points buying time…but most bench players dont come into the game to turn up the defensive intensity…

You hate too lose guys like Bynum, or even Jonas…because of the rotation but its life

• Nov 27, 201212:08 pm

Excitement doesn’t sell tickets. Wins do.

There are only two relevant examples of a young, non-winning team selling tickets. OKC their first year in Oklahoma, and they only sold tickets because they were new to that city. Portland still draws, but they are the only pro sports team in that town and Portland has always been basketball-obsessed, win or lose.

There are young teams with exciting players all over the league, and if they’re not winning, they’re not drawing many fans. Sacramento plays a ton of young players, and the Kings are nearly as bad attendance-wise as the Pistons. Hornets, Bobcats and Rockets are all playing all young players, and they are all in the bottom 10 in the league in attendance.

I’m telling you, you’re just wrong on this. Yes, fans want the Pistons to play their younger players. But no, it would not increase attendance at games. No one is going to pay money to watch a losing team, whether they have an exciting young roster or a boring old one. It is proven time and time again in the NBA. If you are not a winning team or, in a few rare instances, a superstar-driven team (like Iverson’s Sixers teams), you are just flat out not going to draw.

• Nov 27, 201212:11 pm

Or be the Knicks. They don’t need wins or superstars to draw attendance, they just have that big a market.

• Nov 27, 201212:32 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

Bobcats,Hornets have been young forever!…..thats why…

Kings had one of the most exciting teams in the league at one time…then they fell apart and when you think about their market its all about excitement and entertainment

Rockets have Always had a Supersstars, Hakeem, Yao, Steve Francis, Tracy Mcgrady….then they had Kyle Lowery, then they traded soo hard to get Dwight another Superstar …different expectation

Pistons have always have loyal fans, and it hasnt always been about superstars… its been about a team that we can get behind…

I just dont think the fans believe the best product is on the floor

• Nov 27, 20121:03 pm
            by apa8ren9

I have to agree with Patrick on this one.  If the Pistons suck, people wont spend their hard earned money on tickets.  I did and if I really werent a die hard and enjoyed going to the Palace, I wouldnt spend my money either because its expensive.   Watching on TV and laying out money for tickets, parking and concessions are 2 totally different things.  You need to be committed.  If the basketball isnt good, doesnt matter if the players are young or old.  They need to win to get people to spend money.

• Nov 27, 20121:23 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

“I have to agree with Patrick on this one.  If the Pistons suck, people wont spend their hard earned money on tickets.”

i do not disagree with Patrick or you, its very true.

HOWEVER! we have sucked for how many year now? and when we have last time there was any expectation of excitement? This is the first time as a Pistons fan, Since Grant Hill, where I just wanted to see what our future looks like…

Most Pistons fans…Believe that Maxiell, Stuckey, Prince, Maggette and Charlie are not the Future of the Pistons. They symbolize where the franchise has gone wrong. Seeing them get minutes is like friend requesting your ex  just to see her consistently talk about how you sucked a BF (btw: thats not based off my life)

It time to move on, and see whats else is available. I guarantee the first week Drummond moves into the starting line up, Our attendance goes up.

Now does it sell out the Palace NO! but will you see more interest in Pistons basketball YES!

• Nov 27, 201212:18 pm

Really, if CV was a 30 ppg player, you wouldn’t want him playing? If Charlie could get 30 per night (assuming at least mediocre efficiency), his contract would be one of the biggest steals in the league, even if he continued being useless in every other aspect. Bulk scorers make their teammates more efficient. This fact has been shown time and again.

I hate me some Villanueva, along with just about every other Pistons fan. But that is because he does not produce. If he did produce (especially as the league-leading scorer), I’d change my tune. To ignore such a huge uptick in play would be ludicrous.

• Nov 27, 20121:47 pm
        by MIKEYDE248

Maybe I was a little over-doing-it by saying 30, but I was just trying to get my point accross that I don’t think he is the future of the team.  In fact this is most likely his last year with the team, along with Maggette and hopefully Max.

If Max were a 6th man and making half what they are paying him, I would be happy with him, but not as a starter eating up big minutes.  That’s all he would be on any other team.

• Nov 27, 20121:28 pm
    by Michelob Mike

the fans that actually go to the Palace are not necessarily basketball-savvy. Remember the chants of “We Want Rip!” a few years ago?

• Nov 27, 20121:55 pm

Yep, exactly. The diehards are all of the people here and other sites spending their time in the comments. The people at games are usually interested in seeing guys they’ve heard of.

• Nov 27, 20122:10 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

While I got your attention Patrick…

Is it me, our does that Trapping and Switching Defense really suck?

• Nov 27, 20122:08 pm