Andre Drummond: Living in Detroit is pretty much like living in Connecticut

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News in a Q&A with Andre Drummond:

What are your first impressions of Detroit?

You know what everybody says about Detroit, but I actually took the time to drive down to Detroit. I drove around for a little while; it’s not bad at all. It’s a good area at the end of the day.

Did anything surprise you?

About how quiet it is, actually.

See any landmarks?

I didn’t get to do any sightseeing, but Detroit is similar to Connecticut. The area I’m at is really a quiet area. The people are really friendly here. I have no complaints.

OK then.

• Nov 13, 201212:01 pm
    by starlight0997

Does anyone know the area where he lives? Is it 248 or Oakland County? Anyways, I am guessing he lives in Metro Detroit which, unknown to most people outside of the SE Detroit area, is not like the actual city in Detroit at all. As for Detroit itself, it seems to be recovering (the area near the hospital looks okay).

• Nov 13, 201212:05 pm
    by gtg

He’s right. Both places are very segregated, not only white/black but rich/poor. CT was once a manufacturing center. Still does some, but less, and with processes that use less workers. Ever seen Bridgeport? It’s a mini-Detroit. Imagine just Wayne-Oakland-Macomb with its own state government (dominated by Oakland, Macomb and the Pointes) and you’re not far from CT.

• Nov 13, 20128:42 pm
      by James Jones

Been to Bridgeport several times… Feels just like home :).

• Nov 13, 201212:12 pm
    by Talan

Dan, I LOL’d at your “OK then.”

Drummond seems like a good kid. I don’t think we’ll have any off the court issues with him. I see him taking advise on the court and learning. You can’t ask for anything more from the 9th pick in the draft.  He’ll earn a spot next to Monroe soon enough. I’m having a hard time comparing him to any current NBA player. DeAndre Jordan and JaVale McGee are the most obvious comparisons. Rim Protectors with limited offensive games. I do think in 3-4 years we’ll be able to throw the ball down to him in the post and he’ll make something happen. Kind of like what DeAndre Jordan has grown into this year.

• Nov 13, 201212:53 pm
    by Marcus

Ok I am from the exact same town Drummond is from in CT. (middletown) And I live in metro detroit… and all i have to say is it is nothing like connecticut here….

• Nov 13, 20121:13 pm
    by Piston Heel

Well he must have not visited the same route Metta World Peace aka Ron Artest visited cause he said Detroit have some “good hoods” lol

• Nov 13, 20121:18 pm
    by Desolation Row

From what i know of Connecticut types and Bloomfield Hills types.. there really isn’t that much difference between the two culturally. In the grander scheme of the country (i.e. compared to Arizona, Alabama, California, etc), the 248 is probably not much different from Connecticut.

• Nov 13, 20121:36 pm
    by Tiko

I think he lives in Novi. I hear a lot of players live there and Rochester Hills

• Nov 13, 20122:57 pm
      by Reaction

Its true.. I know of a lot of Wings and Lions players that live in Novi near my friends.. not sure on NBA ones though

• Nov 13, 20124:33 pm
    by labatts

This is funny.  Honestly, you could say this about 90% of America.  Do you know how many places look exactly like Novi?  Developers have found a model that works, so trust me when I tell you the Fountain Walk is not unique.

• Nov 13, 20126:34 pm