Andre Drummond makes his case for big role one more time in Pistons win over Hawks in preseason finale

88  Recap | Box Score  104
Jason Maxiell, PF 17 MIN | 2-4 FG | 2-2 FT | 5 REB | 0 AST | 6 PTS | +11
Solid game. For a reserve. Who is a starter.
Tayshaun Prince, SF 28 MIN | 7-12 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 2 AST | 15 PTS | +5
Prince’s best preseason game was a great sign after he struggled this entire preseason.
Greg Monroe, C 31 MIN | 6-11 FG | 4-6 FT | 11 REB | 5 AST | 16 PTS | +2
Monroe also had his best preseason game, but I was most encouraged by the five assists. His passing has been under-utilized by the Pistons.
Brandon Knight, PG 31 MIN | 5-11 FG | 4-5 FT | 3 REB | 3 AST | 16 PTS | +12
Knight closed the preseason strong. He showed improved passing this preseason. His turnovers are still a work in progress, but his shot is falling, his decision-making is better and he’s more aggressive.
Rodney Stuckey, PG 29 MIN | 3-10 FG | 4-5 FT | 2 REB | 1 AST | 10 PTS | +8
The most troubling stat for me this preseason is Stuckey’s 3-point shooting. He led the team in attempts with 30 and only made eight. Hopefully, he’s not falling in love with that shot.
Jonas Jerebko, PF 15 MIN | 3-4 FG | 0-0 FT | 5 REB | 0 AST | 7 PTS | +15
Jerebko was solid once again and I think he’s Detroit’s best option as the backup small forward, even though he’ll get minutes at both spots. At the very least, he’s giving the team the ability to rest Prince more, something that’s important as Prince ages.
Andre Drummond, PF 19 MIN | 5-7 FG | 3-5 FT | 10 REB | 0 AST | 13 PTS | +9
What more can be said? Every time Drummond played big minutes this preseason, he showed he was the team’s second best big man. He has to play a large role on this team right off the bat.
Charlie Villanueva, PF 10 MIN | 2-4 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 0 AST | 4 PTS | -4
Villanueva’s effort was a little more game tonight, but at the end of the day, he’s a shooter who still shot just 1-for-17 this preseason. Not good enough for a rotation spot by a longshot.
Kyle Singler, SF 20 MIN | 3-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 8 PTS | +11
Singler showed the hustle, energy and smarts that he’s known for, but his 6-for-14 preseason 3-point shooting is what should get him a rotation spot off the bat.
Khris Middleton, SF 4 MIN | 1-1 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 1 AST | 3 PTS | -1
Middleton likely won’t play a lot during the season, but he’s made more than 50 percent of his 3-pointers this preseason, so I think that moves him ahead of Kim English.
Viacheslav Kravtsov, C 4 MIN | 0-0 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 0 PTS | -1
Kravtsov at the moment looks like six hard fouls at the end of the bench. There’s nothing wrong with that, but he also didn’t do much to show he could provide anything more at this point.
Will Bynum, PG 17 MIN | 2-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 7 AST | 4 PTS | +4
Seven assists in 17 minutes caps a nice preseason by Bynum, where he showed that he could be a pass-first player at times and he could play at less than warp speed.
Kim English, SG 15 MIN | 1-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 2 PTS | +9
English’s 3-point shooting was below 30 percent this preseason, and I don’t think that’s good enough to get him into the rotation.

Takeaways

Drummond has to play a lot. The Pistons are a different team when he’s on the court. He’s everything they needed him to be off the bat, and they need to reward him for that, not necessarily with the starting spot, but with lots of minutes.

A stab at the rotation:

• Starters: Knight, Stuckey, Prince, Maxiell, Monroe. No upsets here, but I truly think Maxiell’s tenure will be short-lived. Drummond many not be fully ready, but ready or not, he’s their second best big on the roster.
  • Bench: Jerebko, Singler, Bynum, Drummond, Middleton. The first four are givens and Middleton will probably hold down a spot until Corey Maggette is healthy.
  • Out of the rotation: English didn’t really shoot well enough to get a spot and Kravtsov showed he’s not as advanced as Drummond.
  • Inactive: Villanueva, Daye, Maggette. Maggette will be in the rotation when healthy, but Villanueva and Daye were easily the worst players to step on the court for the Pistons consistently this preseason. It would be a mistake to have either guy in the rotation.

There wasn’t much else to say about this game. Monroe looked like a true hub of the offense, Drummond looked like his perfect complement and Prince looked comfortable for the first time this preseason playing in this lineup. I’m anxious to see how things go int he season opener Wednesday.

• Oct 27, 20122:17 am
    by YesSir

Ha im 1st to comment I love my Pistons but this team has some players that dont mesh well like jj and max or bynum and stuck i think prince has done us well but he deserves better than this at this stage of his career stuckey if your not going to play like monta ellis than he needs to go to. bynum  should play like nate robison jj is ok but this is good as he is going to get max is just undersized if he were 6 10 watch out but he is not so on some nites he looks good and other nights he is over matched. Now Drummond is read to go period what do you have to lose nothing ok cv and daye first daye if he plays like he did agaisnt the 76ers a few years back and that miami game last year yes sir but daye problem is he tries things he just cant do play like rashard lewis daye catch and shoot stop trying to dribble through people i actually have been of fan of cv before he came here and bg its not all on them be real about it joe brought them here to score points but every coach tried to change their games thats all wrong with cv and bg is gone now That Will Be 8 Dollars Who’s Next

• Oct 27, 20122:53 am
      by gmehl

Fark man…go back to school and learn some punctuation. My head hurts after trying to read your comment.

As for the game i can’t really comment on it as i couldn’t get a feed and had to follow it on ESPN Gamecast. I did notice at one point we had a line up of Knight, Stuckey, Monroe, Drummond and Prince. I was waiting patiently for Prince to be subbed out for Jerebko but it didn’t happen. Things are looking good for the season opener and hopefully we can get off to a good start, unlike last season. If we can start out by at least playing .500 ball for the first dozen or so games that 8th spot might not seem so far fetched after all.

• Oct 27, 20122:57 am
        by Vince

Agreed. I saw a prediction somewhere that the Pistons would finish with a record of 29 – 53, couldn’t help but disagree with it, I think the Pistons can make .500 but they’ll probably do a bit under that, I’d be happy with 39 – 43

• Oct 27, 20122:54 am
    by Vince

The three was falling for Stuck early in the pre-season, I’m just hoping he finds his groove (and like you pointed out, that he doesn’t become enamored by it); In the end his ability to drive to the basket and draw fouls is his bread and butter, but I’ve noticed refs are a little reluctant to blow the whistle now… flopping rule or just pre-season?

Drummond outperformed Max in limited minutes, what more does Frank need? Monroe and Drummond should be starting frontcourt. If Prince keeps playing like he did tonight (although its unlikely) I’m happy with him in the starting 5, that being said I’d start Singler in a heartbeat if he starts playing up.

IMO, JJ should keep coming off the bench, I like the spark he brings along with English and Bynum, add Maggette and Maxiell and the second unit looks solid. Speaking of English, I somewhat disagree, I think he is doing well, shooting-wise he’s a tad disappointing but he hustles, defends, passes, I think he’s a player’s player, he won’t light up the boxscore but he’ll contribute a ton, I’ve really liked him this preseason.

• Oct 27, 20123:21 am
    by Alex

My thank you’s ,

Thank you Tayshaun for all the great days you played with us when we badly needed you but you deserve to be on a Contender. not that i dont believe Detroit could contend because i do , if they all gave their best effort for 48 minutes we can hang with any team granted we are healthy , so unless tay will be retired a piston i dont see it making any sense to take up minutes from the young guys. sometimes you just gotta throw some young guns into the fray to get good and that seems to be the case. i think piston fans are grateful for tayshaun but we’d rather see us get eliminated from playoff contention because we played our young inexperienced guys that we presume to be the core of our franchise for the future.

Thank you Jason,for being the dale davis or Somewhat of our reliable ben wallace after our ben wallace days. your height seems to be the biggest shortfall but there are things you can and cant control ,and  two things you can control is your attitude and your activity and i apppreciate your willingness to bang down low with the best of the  bigs and be a team player. i hope you too land at a contenders roster . if you have to prove your worth by competing against us for u to appreciate your true worth then so be it but its time for Big Dre to come in and play alongside his twin tower moose .

Thank you Will,  for being such a spark plug to our at times nostalgic and effortless roster. there are times where you are the only thing good going for us on the floor and it brought excitement and hope to us whether we won at the end of the day or not. I feel you on being short Im 5’8 so i found myself finding a new career when i realized my growth spurt was over but i respect the fact that you stayed with it and always challenged for a spot to play whether it was in tel aviv or D league , you got game and i hope you too find a contender to play for .

Thank you Austin, I still believe in your skills being there. I’m sure there is nothing more demoralizing then when what you do best is not looking like it used to for you but i say stay with it. I think there is a team out there willing to pay you and give you a shot at leading their team in a variety of ways . From the start i believe you would be the replacement of Tayshaun when his time came and i still believe you have what it takes . It would have been great to see you earn a starting spot and play the entire season that way but that’s just what happens when you got a roster full of Potential and promise . If you cant get it going for yourself here in Detroit this last season i hope you find another team that’s willing to buy into what you have to offer and i know that you could be a fresh start away from playing the way you can play. so i hope you ball out and make it rain on our team someday perhaps that will get some of our fans to appreciate your skill set for once .

Thank you Charlie , I always saw the potential you could bring to any team in the  league. I dont regret the team signing you or BG and i always saw that our team looked better than it was by record just from likes of your name on our roster. Its unfortunate that your game never Blossomed in Detroit and i think you too are a fresh start away from being at your best again. If you dont find yourself In the rotation this year or just find yourself not producing according to your standards i think it would be fair to ask for a trade by the deadline  and try to find your Game somewhere else. I hope it was nothing the organization did for you or the Belief of the fans that made your shot faulter but you can Shine If you just Get your whole repertoire together.

Thank you for being there for my team , I respect each and every one of you for making it to the Grandest stage in the world as far as this sport is concerned , getting to this level is no easy task and any person who never made it to your level says otherwise i hope your confidence and belief in yourselves never leave you. Good luck, play hard , and have fun!

• Oct 27, 20123:41 am
    by Alex

My 15 man roster wishlist for next season. Lets see if Santa Reads this…

PG~ Brandon Knight  /   Terrico White     /  Terrence Williams
    SG~ Tyreke Evans     / Kim English         /  Austin Daye

SF~ Jonas Jerebko   /  Khris Middleton    /  Kyle Singler
    PF~ Josh Smith        / Vernon Macklin     /  Ben Wallace
    C~  Greg Monroe      / Andre Drummond /  Slava Kravtsov

• Oct 27, 20124:04 am
      by Vince

Hahaha wishful thinking huh?

Heres mine:

PG – Knight / White
      SG – Johnson / Stuckey / English
      SF – Smith /  Singler
      PF – Monroe / Jerebko
      C – Drummond / Macklin / Kravtsov

• Oct 27, 20126:20 am
        by Venice

nah .its better not to make smith an SF he cant shoot 3s that well .PF is his best position. Its better to get young role players than getting players we dont need.

• Oct 27, 20126:32 am
        by MrHappyMushroom

Terrico White?  The guy who hasn’t found a spot in the NBA for four seasons?

• Oct 27, 20127:27 am
          by Vince

Yeah, reason he is up there is because he is an unknown, never got to see him in the NBA, but he was a freak athlete with a smooth shot, would’ve loved to see what he could’ve done in the L.

• Oct 28, 201210:08 am
      by Eric

My lineup for 2013-

PG- Brandon Knight, Billups
      SG- Stephen Curry, Deshaun Stevenson, Kim English
      SF- Josh Smith, Singler, Kris Singleton
      PF- Greg Monroe, Jonas Jerebko
      C – Andre Drummond,  Kratsoxv

& whatever draft picks we have.

• Oct 29, 20122:11 pm
      by XstreamINsanity

I honestly don’t know what to make of some of these lineups.  Some of them really make me want to laugh.  I’d really like to know some of the moves you people believe would be able to facilitate your rosters.

Here’s my hopeful 2013-14 roster:

PG – Knight/Ty Lawson
      SG – Stuckey/English
      SF – Jerebko/Prince
      PF – Monroe/Millsap
      C – Drummond/Kravtsov

Lawson will be hard to get as he could be retained by the Nuggets with a qualifying offer.  Prince should stay with the Pistons and move to a backup role (I’ll give him this last season as a starter).  Monroe should move to PF, Drummond should start at C, and we should sign Millsap.  Daye, Maggette, Bynum and Maxiell all walk at the end of the year.  We can either amnesty CV or wait for his contract to expire.

There is a slight chance that we could get Lawson in a trade, but we’d have to probably give up draft picks.  Ideall, I’d give up Maggette, Bynum and a 2015 First Round for Lawson and hope they see Fournier as their future PG.

Our bench would still consist of Middleton, Singler and our draft picks.  We could potentially pick up another PF through Free Agency, but I don’t see many where the financial risk is worth the reward.  I’m not sold on Josh Smith.  He’s athletic, but I’m not up on him.

• Oct 27, 20128:37 am
    by vic

i totally agree with evrrything,  when i saw Middletons stats of 1 steal, 1 assist and 1/1 3 pointer in 3 minutes i officially jumped on his bandwagon.  its a talent league and it looks like hes learning to play smart. i still like English but Middleton could be a starter in a year or two if he keeps progressing.

• Oct 27, 20128:54 am
    by vic

my next year lineup:

knight / michael carter williams pick #17 after we make playoffs / terrence williams
    stuckey/middleton/english
    j smith/singler/jerebko
    monroe/jerebko/macklin
    drummond/kravtsov

• Oct 27, 20129:49 am

If the Pistons make the Playoffs, their draft pick goes to the Bobcats. So #17 isn’t happening.

• Oct 27, 201211:54 am
      by Vic

Oh yeah my bad. Draft pick OR playoffs.

Im sure there will be a decent pg in the 2nd round… You know the Nba doesn’t draft them

• Oct 27, 20129:35 am
    by bugsygod

1.  Ok L. Frank why again is Drummond not starting??  I mean we have been SCREAMING for this type of player the last 3 years and were gonna not start him? I know its early BUT he is the OBVIOUS best player and makes the team a better team.  So if its about winning and only winning…whats going on?
    2. I think english will get more time this year than middleton, because of defense and run the floor w/ singler and jerbko.  Middleton is a long term answer and i can really see now why he was selected ahead of english.  His long term potential is really good.
    3. Im glad stuckey is taking so many threes because if he makes them at any type of consistent level, this will help his drive game.  There playing off him so much right now he has to take the three. His form looks good on the shot, just needs maybe more confidence.

• Oct 27, 20129:56 am

Confidence doesn’t put the ball through the hoop. Skill does.

• Oct 27, 20121:37 pm
        by bugsygod

As i noted that his FORM looked good which is his skill.  Also Confinence is a SKILLL look what happened to daye last year, he has all the skill but no confidence.  Once he starts making em on a consistent level that will build his confidence.

• Oct 27, 20121:57 pm

I dunno. I’d say Stuckey, like Daye, has shooting form but not a ton of shooting skill. And confidence is not a skill; although, in the right proportions, it can at times be an asset.

• Oct 27, 201211:17 am
    by MNM

There was a time when certain people on here, and Im not going to name names, figured Kravstov to be a major hub in the rotation (at one point, I believe I read that they could see him being the 1st big off the bench if not starting over Maxiell..) back when they were playing in open practice and about how good he looked in euro-league play…euro-league play… Im not mad or anything, but people have got to temper expectations about players. I know we can get overly excited, but still..

Now I didn’t see the game, but from the games I have watched, it seems that Kim English has recieved more minutes than Khris. So I would figure that Kim would be in the rotation in some compacity before Khris..at least that’s what the feeling has been for a while now. But I obviously, like many, would like to see both in the rotation..

Oh, and P.S.
                           Im very pleased that the team never truly attempted to find a trade partner for Austin Daye.. And by that, I mean he blows..Oh and CV too.. Can’t believe they made this roster and not TW and JF.

• Oct 27, 201212:07 pm
      by Vic

I did think that vk would be better than  Drummond at first, there’s no shame in that. Drummond just advanced 6 months in 6 weeks, that’s all. His American style of play fits perfectly in the nba, just like I thought.
      Kravstov hasn’t really been that bad. If you look at his per minute stats he’s ok, he just hasn’t had as much consistent minutes. In terms of Win Share per minute, he’s 4th on the team for the preseason

• Oct 27, 20121:54 pm
    by ray

Take away the two game where he didnt really….

11.6ppg 7.5rebs 1.6blk  19.6 minutes

Anthony Davis – 15ppg 10rebs 1.6blk 32.4 minutes

Drummond is on his Davis ASS!

• Oct 27, 20123:56 pm
    by Mark

If Drummond got 32 mpg like Davis, his numbers would average out to 19 pts, 12 rebs, 3 blks.

Feed the big man his minutes! We could have the ROY on our roster, and it would be a shame to deprive him of the chance to win it.

• Oct 27, 20123:59 pm
    by Mark

btw, I agree with most of the grades, but B- for Maxiell? He had 5 fouls in 11 min and fouled out in 17. He did play good to start the game for a few minutes, but when you avg it out with how he finished the game, I’d give him a C- at best. Which to no one’s surprise is what he is – a below average big man.

• Oct 27, 20125:26 pm
    by Nikolai

Decent comments but a lot of you are forgetting the human element of all this.  Im sure everyone in coaching staff would love to start Drummond but the fact that he is a kid literaly does change things.  They have to protect his ego and confidence when he gets out-played a lot of nights (which he will).  How he comes back will be the key.  If he shows he can shrug it off and play hard again during the actual season while having fun, then were talking starting line-up.  However, it is easy to lose confidence when your a kid playing a man’s game no matter how talented you are.  Piston’s have to keep an eye on him and keep him guarded for a while to see how he unfolds.  Hopefully he has a short memory and has an inner beast…Grrrr.

• Oct 27, 20127:25 pm
      by gmehl

Well said Nikolai. I am trying to temper my ‘start Drummond now’ expectations and as long as the kid is getting big minutes straight off the bat and also some minutes with the starters then who really cares if he starts.

Personally i think people want the kid to start just so they can hear Mason call out ‘the man in the middle, from Connecticut, Andreeeeeee Drummmmmmond’.

• Oct 28, 201211:25 am

Yeah, that’s why every other team starts their rookies if they are the best player on the team at that position. And we see those rookies get bruised egos and fail all the time because the team displayed such confidence in them, right?

• Oct 28, 20124:11 am
    by Alex

id like to see Terrico White and Andre Drummond be the Best Bench Duo of the league for the Pistons. i was so hyped to see Terrico at the rookie photoshoot gettin all the attention with his dunkin. Motown needs that excitement like yesterday!

• Oct 28, 201210:10 am
      by Eric

Terrico White isn’t on the Roster?

• Oct 28, 20128:08 am
    by Eric

Pistons need to trade for Josh Smith, Atltanta will struggle without Joe Johnson and Smith will not resign with Hawks.  Pistons should give up Stuckey and Prince, anyone besides Monroe-Knight,  +draft picks for Josh Smith and Desahun Stevenson.   Then amnesty Villanueva and sign Stephen Curry to a max deal to provide the shooting boost the Pistons will need to compete.    With this lineup we will have atleticisim and defensive presence to compete with the Heat in the East.  Starting Lineup of Brandon Knight, Stephen Curry, Josh Smith, Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond.  Bench: Billups to sign, Kim English, Deshaun Stevenson, Kyle Singler, Kris Middleton, Jonas Jerebko, & V Kratsov.  This would be a versatile lineup and would put the Pistons back in contention next yr.

• Oct 28, 20126:38 pm
      by James Jones

I’ll support anything that moves Stuckey either off the roster or to the bench.  I just don’t think we can win with this guy in the stating lineup.

We have enough slashers and guys who can score inside.  We really need someone who can knock down an outside shot with some consistency at the 2 guard sport.