Pistons sign Terrence Williams to training camp contract

Back in July, there were rumors the Pistons were interested in former first round pick Terrence Williams. At the time, Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News shot down those rumors. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! reported Thursday the Pistons have indeed signed Williams to a training camp contract, however:

Williams and Lawrence Frank are familiar with each other briefly from their New Jersey days — Frank was the Nets’ coach for the first 16 games of Williams’ rookie season.

Williams is still a long shot to make the roster. He plays Detroit’s deepest position, so if the roster stays as is, he’ll have to convince them to cut or trade someone else to make room for him.

• Sep 20, 20129:42 pm
    by Daye and Knight

Well…not to point any fingers (ahem DAYE) but one of our SF’s is well…kind of trash. Still, we have Prince, Singler and Middleton so don’t see Williams really sticking with us. I still think Williams has great potential but it’s likely he’ll have to prove that on another team. In a perfect world I would love Williams to make our roster and watch us send Prince and Daye packing.

P.S. I’m aware my name is “DAYE and Knight” I get it…but that was made when I thought Daye had some hope lol

• Sep 20, 201210:06 pm
      by MNM

You might want to think about changing it now.. Unless your keeping it for sarcastic purposes.

• Sep 20, 201210:42 pm
        by Daye and Knight

It’s still there for sarcastic purposes..or until I can find another creative name I like

• Sep 20, 201210:45 pm

Hey, you could just say it’s a play on what ‘day and night’ as a descriptor actually means — like there is a ‘day and night’ difference between the potential/work ethic/ability Knight has show and what Daye has shown.

Also, one more SF to add to your list making it even tougher for Williams is Maggette. On a minimum deal though, if Williams has a lights out camp and out-performs everyone, I could see the Pistons cutting Middleton to keep him. Middleton at the end of the day is still a second round pick who many thought the Pistons reached for at the time. Williams is still pretty young and still a former lottery pick. So potential-wise, Williams might have more upside still. And if they’re both on minimum deals, why not just take the better of the two?

• Sep 20, 201210:47 pm
    by Vince

Mmmh. I would’ve loved this move last year, that being said I would cut Middleton and Daye in a heartbeat if he proves himself. Williams  can play SG as well so adding him to the roster would be great.

• Sep 20, 201211:53 pm
    by Big Daddy

T-Will’s athleticism is worth the price of admission on its own and if there is something that the Pistons desperately needs as a franchise it is butts in the seats and people cheering.  T-Will even when he wasn’t playing well was still good for at least 2 SportsCenter Top 10 play dunks a week.

• Sep 21, 20121:09 am
    by Pete

Pistons should just trade Prince & C.V, let  Daye take CV’s spot keep Williams and Middleton. Start fresh with new faces and a young team. Williams can also play SG.

• Sep 21, 20121:51 am
    by Mark

Is it cofirmed he is here to play SF?

He can play both 2 and 3, and a while back KL said an athetic backup vet guard was what they were looking for to balance out the roster. He fits that mold perfect as a 2, and my guess is thats what he’s here for.

Someones getting dumped, imo, or Middleton is going overseas. Doesn’t make sense otherwise, because he couldve gotten a guaranteed deal elsewhere I’d think. He mustve been promised that someone would be moved to make room for him, in order to get him to sign.

• Sep 21, 20121:53 am
      by Mark

Daye is probably out. We now have the 11th pick from the 2009 draft with an NBA ready body to keep as a project, no need for the 15th pick project with weight gaining issues anymore

• Sep 21, 20129:22 am
        by MNM

“Training camp contract”… Right now, everyone else still has a job.

• Sep 21, 20122:02 am
    by bball4224

I would love for us to sign Williams but I also want us to resign Ben Wallace. So Middleton and Daye are expendable IMO. Ben Wallace and Williams bring more to the team than Middleton and Daye do.

• Sep 21, 20123:07 am
    by jake

why not?
    best case scenario: he wows everyone, forces joe into a move or two or three, and kicks corey maggette completely out of the rotation.
    worst case scenario: he sucks and gets cut.

• Sep 21, 20125:19 am
    by Vic

I like his dunks, but he’ll only be useful to us if he’s a lockdown wing defender. If we’re going to add a guard he needs to be a passer or a shooter, I don’t think we need another midrange game. I’d rather keep Middleton or Daye instead of that, at least they can contest shots on the perimeter with their length alone

• Sep 21, 20128:38 am
    by Derek

TWill can shoot it with range.  He ran the offense in college.  He had a triple double within his first few games as a rook.  He averaged a triple double in his 3 game D-League demonition.  He rebounds, defends, and scrapes.  This dude is hardnosed and passionate.  He’s like the polar opposite of Austin Daye.

With his freakish athleticism, high skill level, and intense play I’ve got him making the team.  So a trade and/or a buyout is in order.

• Sep 21, 20129:00 am
      by Vic

Well in that case, sign him up. I’m all about undervalued all around ballers that need the right team and right coach. I’d send Khris overseas and let Maggette and CV expire this year.

• Sep 21, 20129:10 am
      by Vic

I did look at his stats and see he made quite a jump in fg percentage last year. But it  look like he found his game and did more driving rather then three-point shooting. I did see a good rate of steals though. It could be good to get a talented player who seems to be turning the corner on maturity. And he could be the bad boy for our  ”going to class” good boy pistons. you always need at least one guy that can get angry.

• Sep 21, 20129:24 am
    by ryan

I love this addition since I was pushing for us to draft Terrence Williams way back when we ended up with Austin Daye. I hope that this signals that we’re ready to trade Austin Daye and Charlie Villanueva asap.

• Sep 21, 20129:37 am
    by Al

So is it a 1yr conditional deal or a training camp signing??? Ive seen two different stories? Or is conditional contract basicly an AKA training camp contract?

• Sep 21, 20129:43 am

Great move. T Will is a world of potential and definitely worth the longer look they’re taking. Hopefully he shows enough to force Dumars to make adjustments and actually add him to the team. That said, doesn’t this kinda go against Joe’s whole “character guys” motif?

• Sep 21, 201212:37 pm
    by apa8ren9

I think this is just a pressure cooker move.  One more dude in camp that you have to beat out. Its competition in training camp.  Just like last year with Damien Wilkens.   Now if someone gets hurt or if you(DAYE) cant outperform training camp fodder, then Williams can be a competent 12th man and ride the bench.  I believe its all for Daye’s sake so he better be ready.

• Sep 21, 20121:40 pm

But Williams should be much stiffer competition than Wilkens. Given his inconsistency thus far, that may not be the case. But it really should be.

• Sep 21, 201212:49 pm
    by danny

I think if we can turn him around he will be a good addition to the team. he is able to do a lot of things that could improve this team.  Hopefully he will wise up and mature and all will be better.

• Sep 21, 20123:18 pm
    by Fennis

Why are you guys so petty, calling out Goodwill on a speculative tweet?

• Sep 21, 20123:23 pm

How is that ‘calling him out?’ He reported at the time that the Pistons weren’t interested, and he was probably right at that time — the Pistons didn’t sign him in July when that ‘interest’ report surfaced, did they? — and I credited him for being the person who reported that.

But in the months since, something has changed. I didn’t say Goodwill’s report was wrong or not correct or anything like that. In fact, it seems accurate. The probably had no interest in Williams on a guaranteed deal. When no other offers materialized and he was willing to take a camp invite, that obviously changed things. But I think the timeline here is actually important, so I pointed out that this seems like it wasn’t just a spur of the moment invite.

• Sep 21, 20123:30 pm

And, not to play semantics, but using the actual language of the tweet — ‘Per sources,  have had no contact with Terrance Williams.’ — explain to me how exactly that is speculative? He is not speculating at all. He said his sources told him they had no contact at the time. Speculative would be him saying he didn’t think they’d be interested in him based on his personal expertise. He actually got confirmation from sources saying they weren’t interested.

Again, I’m not saying that he got that wrong. I’m just saying that at one time, it was reported by a team beat writer that the Pistons had no interest in a player that, a few months later, they have at least lukewarm enough interest in to invite to camp. I’m at a loss for how that is supposedly ‘calling someone out’ or not relevant to post.

• Sep 21, 20124:17 pm
    by al

Terrence williams has more potential than any sf on the pistons roster, and he can get his own shot.

• Sep 21, 20124:22 pm
    by G

I was kinda hoping we’d be looking for a PG instead of adding yet another wing…

• Sep 21, 20124:54 pm
    by T Mc

Twill actually can play the 1,2&3 and defend each. No piston can do that. Quiet as kept his pg/playmaking skills are better than stuck& knights.

• Sep 21, 20125:48 pm
      by Vic

If that’s true and all the triple double talk is true, then sign me up again. I hope he makes it. There’s nothing I love in hoops more than a triple double and well balanced players that flirt with triple doubles. That takes a LOT of strength and effort and smarts

• Sep 21, 20127:06 pm
      by apa8ren9

@T Mc that is just too funny.  I hope he can contribute to the Pistons but if a guy has skills that allow him to competently play and defend the 1, 2 and 3 in the NBA, they dont get training camp contracts as a free agent.  I hope you are right.

• Sep 21, 20127:47 pm
    by T Mc

Honestly Twill is better than alot of pistons, but Joe doesn’t want A true balla. He likes good citizens that happen to hoop. Twill can play his attitude is killing his rep. But be real his talent is undeniable. Funny thing is he would easily produce more than Tay with princes minutes & be way better that stuck if a franchise gave him the opportunities Rod has been given

• Sep 21, 20128:46 pm
      by Jodi Jezz

Better than Stuckey??? Come on, now you’re going too far…

• Sep 21, 201210:14 pm
    by T Mc

Yes He is not great. Look Oj Mayo, Courtney Lee, CDR, Jr smith, Wilson Chandler, Marcus Thorton all non all-stars would be far above stuckey now if they were drafted by us and were able to play major minutes and given every opportunity to shine. Hell Austin Daye would be more of a star if he been given the “sacred cow” stuckey treatment. So trust Stuckey is really mediocre barely lol don’t be surprised if a couple rookie sg’s are better already

• Sep 22, 20123:51 pm
      by Jodi Jezz

You might need to watch more basketball if you honestly believe Courtney Lee, Chandler, and Thornton are better than Stuckey…It’s ridiculous that you even mentioned CDR Jr, I’m not even going to comment on that one…Mayo and Stuckey are arguably in the same tier, but I would rank Stuckey ahead of him because of his defense, ball handles, and consistent slashing ability…

• Sep 22, 201212:37 pm
    by TANNER

I think CV.. Is out so yea T.Will will be a good look. We got bigs now,so CV later..!!!!!

• Sep 22, 20122:44 pm
    by Vic

I did a little more research on TWill. Looks like coming out of college he was a good passer defender rebounder that couldn’t score efficiently (hoops analyst) He’s obviously talented but has been pretty  sucky overall bouncing from team to team. But looking at his WP/48 at his last stint with Sacramentohe something obviously clicked because he was one of their few productive players in over 20 mins/game (nerd numbers). Plus he made his biggest jump in fg%
    Hopefully he figured out his game and kept showing it while working out with the Pistons. Hopefully that’s why they invited him to take somebody’s spot. Hopefully he’ll get it together under JoeD and Frank, who was his first coach before Frank got fired.

• Sep 22, 20126:19 pm
    by Bugsygod

Yes yes yes!!  FINALLY the pistons have a true superstar. Now we are championship ready with this training camp signing!!  I mean this guy should immediately be put in the starting lineup.  I mean he is better than our pg, sg and sf combined.  This guy is gonna pack the palace!!  We now are goin to dominate the competition with this training camp signing!  Joe has finally gotten a clue!  Give this guy 35mins a game an he’s gonna lead the league in scoring, assists, steals, 3pt% and free thow %.   He should be all defense first team with that tremendous athletic ability. I think his vertical is higher than lebrons!  OMG this just made our summer!  This training camp signing will make Franks job sooo much easier, he could be coach of the year with this guy we just signed to our training camp roster.   This should also give Dumars an executive of the year chance.

• Sep 22, 20126:23 pm
    by Bugsygod

Phahaha!! this guy couldn’t get a minimum guaranteed deal with no one??  But he’s better than half our roster ?  Come on people, we obviousily need the season to start soon because you guys are goin stir crazy!

• Sep 23, 20121:18 am
    by pistonsfan

(Personal attack removed by moderator)

• Sep 24, 20128:17 am

You guys are removing personal attacks now?

• Sep 24, 20129:33 am

We have occasionally had to do it. There’s some leeway if people are debating. We try and keep in mind people get passionate and occasionally rude in arguments. But if it’s something as simple as ‘this person is this insult’ with nothing basketball related in the post, then yeah, it will probably get removed.

• Sep 24, 20124:52 pm
          by bugsygod

WTW??  somebody was attacking me ??   LOL!   you could have left the comment, i can take it. smh and LOL

• Sep 24, 20124:56 pm

Oh I know you can take it. I just don’t want to start a trend of allowing them.

If you’re going to personally attack someone, you should at least also include a comment about the Pistons. Put some effort into the personal attack. I don’t want lazy personal attackers around here.