Pistons making great efforts to help fans form connections with the current team

Last year, I freely admit, I made my share of snarky comments about some of the Detroit Pistons marketing efforts. My main gripe — that the team constantly put out press releases about lame 90s music acts performing at halftime but neglected to do things like start campaigns promoting their players for awards. I thought the lack of promotion from the team hurt Greg Monroe, particularly his rookie year when he rightfully should’ve made the All-Rookie First Team, and I think he deserved some promotion last season as a legitimate Most Improved Player candidate.

But anyway, no point in rehashing old complaints. And now, I have to give credit where it is due — these videos, via Sean Corp of Detroit Bad Boys, are a fantastic way to market this team. First and foremost, fan support is not going to return in droves until the team is winning again. That’s just the nature of sports — only the die-hards watch when things go bad. But beyond that, the Pistons identity as we knew it is all but gone. Tayshaun Prince is likely going to be the only link to the bygone era once the season opens, and with all of the youth on the roster at the small forward position, along with the fact that Prince could likely help some contending teams, it’s anyone’s guess as to how long that link will even remain. So efforts like these marketing videos, to show off who these new young players are, is a step in the right direction. Fans have to get to know that Greg Monroe is a soon-to-be All-Star, that Brandon Knight and Andre Drummond are teeming with potential, that Jonas Jerebko is a really unique and hard-working player. Even if the team doesn’t start winning immediately, these videos should at the very least get fans excited about the season and what the future may hold.

• Sep 14, 20122:30 pm
    by Darrell

The Lawrence Frank video needs a basketball to fly from off screen to hit Frank in the head and he keeps working unfazed.

Also, mouthpiece Langolis has been doing a great job interviewing the players and getting us a look at the ground floor.  I’m excited as all get out.  I’m putting my cynicism away until the team actually plays.

• Sep 20, 20121:07 am
      by BIGMARV

Lmao I had an Idea for the frank video too I was thinking in the begining of the video in black background white typing it will be titled:

“the Palace”
      4:00am 15hrs till game time

then fade into Lawrence frank coming up with a gameplan that would have made the video more interesting.

• Sep 14, 20129:03 pm
    by BOBBY ROSS

Great videos of the Pistons going to work. Now they just have to put it all together on the court.

• Sep 15, 201212:20 am
    by ryan

That is exactly what the Lawrence Frank video needs.

Also I really, really, really, really hope that they fire Mason he’s garbage.

• Sep 15, 20121:22 am
    by Pratik

New Jerseys would help!

• Sep 15, 201211:31 am
    by Mr.BlockedShot

Love Knight’s video, awesome handling

• Sep 15, 20122:37 pm
      by Tom Y.

Awesome if it works in games. Though I expect he’ll be better at penetrating if only because he’s considerably stronger.

• Sep 15, 20126:15 pm
    by Holy Crow

I propose a Chilly Vanilla promo where he’s dodging rotten tomatoes thrown by fans as he taunts them with lines like “I’m the highest paid bench-warmer in the L boyeee!” and “I have more shoes than Imelda Marcos suckaaas!”

• Sep 16, 201211:11 pm
    by Jameson Draper

Yeah, I agree. A lot better than having dumb band advertisements. Let’s advertise about the team!

• Sep 17, 201210:40 am
    by Crispus

If I had more time I’d take the audio from all of these and make a sweet beat/remix – kinda like this: