Greg Monroe comes in at No. 49 in ESPN #NBARank

Pistons fans should take it as a great sign of things to come for the season that Greg Monroe jumped nearly 100 spots in ESPN’s NBA rankings from his first to his second season and he still seems ranked too low.

Monroe came in at No. 49 on ESPN’s list, a great accomplishment considering that puts him among the top third of starters in the league. But we all saw Monroe last year. He was legitimately an All-Star contender. CBS Sports ranked him at No. 40. A sound case could be made to put him up 10 or so spots in these rankings.

At the same time, I’m glad he’s just a tad lower than expected. After his rookie season, Monroe was slighted in the postseason All-Rookie voting as bad as any recent rookie I can remember. He responded by coming back and improving just about every facet of his game as a second-year player.

I’m glad that, even if a No. 49 ranking might be a tad off for him, it’s not so egregiously off that you wonder if anyone outside of Detroit watches him play. But I’m also glad that it still gives him something to have a chip on his shoulder about and take his game to another level (working on that defense the way he did on the offense, perhaps). I think Monroe will legitimately improve his ranking by 20 or more spots next season.

Anyway, here are how all of the Pistons ended up:

49: Greg Monroe

485. Khris Middleton

Unranked: Vyacheslav Kravtsov

• Sep 18, 20123:03 pm
    by Scout

• Sep 18, 20123:03 pm
    by Need4rings

Its good to see that monoe was off in the ranking it will definitely add to the motivation to go along with a few snubbs since G-Roe  arrived in Detoit after a full year. I see plenty of oppurtunities to be more offensive and involved in creating for others for open shots. AllStar

• Sep 18, 20125:34 pm
    by Mark

The Anthony Davis hype has gotten ridiculous. #62 for a player that has yet to play a game?

Not to mention a player who has serious weight/strength concerns. idk, I don’t get the media’s fascination with him, but w/e. IF he can prove strong enough to play in the NBA, I can definitely see what they see, but that’s a much bigger IF to me than most ppl I guess. Because if he can’t get strong enough he could just easily be Tyrus Thomas, imo

• Sep 19, 20127:03 am
      by Jameson Draper

Totally! Why do they put rookies in the NBA Rank? If they do, they should put them at least behind everyone else! They haven’t proven themselves yet.

• Sep 19, 20128:54 am

NBA Rank is a guess. The fact of the matter is that it is a good guess that Bradley Beal is better right now than Lester Hudson, as an example. And they are not totally unproven. They’ve mostly been balling their entire lives. If they were totally unproven, everyone would figure out who to draft by a completely random process. Do we have less to go on with rookies than with veterans? Of course. And rookies tend to be ranked lower than where a really honest guess would put them as a result. But not very many people really honestly believe that there are 61 better players in the NBA than Anthony Davis. There’s a reason why he was really obviously the first overall pick.

• Sep 18, 20126:43 pm
    by tom

I will be slightly disappointed if he only goes up 20 spots in next year’s rankings. A year more for ESPN to realize he should be higher already and a year of improvement should put him in the top 20. After all, there are only 24 all stars, so he has to be that high to make the game.

I can’t say I’m offended by the ranking, but looking at the handful of guys immediately in front of him is sort of a joke.
    @ Mark – Couldn’t agree more, I could never figure out why John Henson’s 220 meant he was going to struggle in the post, whereas Davis’ 220 meant he was going to dominate. I’m sure he will be a solid player, may grow into a great player, but I see him getting pushed around as a rookie. May have some misleading stats, but night by night he is going to struggle guarding his guy man to man.

• Sep 19, 20128:56 am
      by Vic

Right and john Hensonblocks shots like him and has a nice jumper too like AD.
      I think it’s the fabled guard skills or just the value of playing with 5 other draft picks at Kentucky. Could be his build looks more ready to add muscle than Henson, and that he’s much younger too

• Sep 19, 20121:40 pm
        by G

Both guys had ridiculous growth spurts, but Davis was a freshman last year and was better on offense than Henson was. Henson has had a couple extra years to put the weight on and hasn’t done it yet, so that’s my guess as to why they ranked them so differently.

• Sep 18, 20127:28 pm
    by JayG108

I think the rating was fair if not a little bit generous.  Monroe has so much potential and his self motivation toward improving himself is unequaled.  However, I’d like to see his fire inside catch up to his finesse.  If he improves by getting blocked less in the post, then he’ll jump up 20 spots.  If not, Dumars needs to call in someone like Hakeem the Dream to teach Moose.

• Sep 18, 20127:31 pm
    by Max

I think the ranking is an insult and utterly ignorant.

• Sep 24, 20123:28 pm

The rankings are not done by simply lining up everyone in the league in order. Voters give each player a ‘score’ on a 1-10 scale. Monroe was a 6.66. Al Horford was 30th with a 7.56 average score. So when you think of it in terms of there’s a difference of .9 on this scale between Monroe being 49th and 30th, it’s really hard to call it a travesty or ‘ignorant’ or whatever. Yes, some people probably rated Monroe too low. But it’s not as if these rankings are saying, “all of these analysts think Monroe is significantly worse than the top 20 or 30 players in the league.” They actually show the opposite — Monroe is incredibly close to being in that elite category. I consider the top 5-7ish players the true franchise players, but that 8-20 range of really really good players? It’s conceivable Monroe jumps all the way in that group next season. He really doesn’t have much ground to make up.

• Sep 18, 20127:32 pm
    by Max

I’ll tell you all this:  Monroe will be drafted no later than an average of 20th in fantasy basketball this year and some will pick him in the first round.

• Sep 18, 20127:55 pm
      by Otis

It’s pretty much what I expected. roughly 50, 100, and 150 for Moose, Stuck and Tay. It’s hard to criticize the list since it’s so unscientific and speculative, and it’s difficult and strange to compare/contrast players at different positions. Bottom line: These rankings are predictable and not so outrageous as to incite… uh, outrage.

What should incite outrage is that there are 30 teams in the league, and in a league where the nature of the game makes the very best players are disproportionately more valuable than other sports’ most dominant players (see: the Lebron Cavaliers), and the quality of our top players (our “young core” plus Tayshaun, who is inexplicably part of the plan going forward) are roughly what you’d expect from a team picking last in each of the first three to five rounds in a 50 team draft.

• Sep 18, 201211:28 pm
        by Max

Huh?
        I’m talking Monroe will go in the first round of some 12 team drafts this year.  No one other than Kevin Love and Pau Gasol has the scoring, rebounding, assists, fg. ft profile of Monroe and they are both injury prone and Monroe has a lot of upside.    He performed better than expectations and rewarded everyone who drafted him bigtime two years in a row and he was drafted in the 4th to 6th round last year.  His stats last year were worthy of a late first round to second round pick so it’s going to happen.          Their own fantasy projections actually have him going 37th this year.

• Sep 19, 20127:56 am

Ah, ESPN has him at 37 too.
          A) Weird coincidence.
          B) That covers the bases of the two most popular fantasy sites so it makes Greg going in the second round on average hgihly unlikely.
          C) Last year, Monroe put up the 29th best stats in fantasy. Definitely rewarding those who grabbed him in the 4th+ rounds, but not worthy of a late first round to second round pick as you suggest.

• Sep 19, 20124:02 pm
            by Max

Monroe finished 12th in one of my leagues last year.

• Sep 20, 20128:32 am

What stats did said league use? Because by the conventional PTS, REB, AST, STL, BLK 3PTM, FG%, FT%, and TOV, Monroe was the 29th best. And that would not vary from league to league.

• Sep 20, 201211:33 am
            by Max

I think it was just minus turnovers.

• Sep 20, 20121:01 pm

I’m not sure how that could be then. Monroe’s TOs did skyrocket relative to his rookie year. But I would not expect the exclusion of that stat to make him leapfrog very many of the 28 ahead of him. I suppose he did have more turnovers than 22 of those 28 guys though, so maybe it’s possible that alone got him past 16 of those 22.

• Sep 20, 20121:06 pm

Actually, ESPN uses those stats minus turnovers and there he was 23rd last year. So how did you arrive at the conclusion that he was 12th in your league?

• Sep 20, 20127:22 pm
            by Max

I can’t access my leagues anymore and I’m striking out at finding whatever lists you are looking at but are you looking at averages or production for the year?

• Sep 20, 20127:55 pm

Totals for the season. Both Y! Sports and ESPN have their last season rankings available if you have a fantasy team (whether it has drafted yet or not). I don’t know where you’d find such rankings otherwise. I’m sure Monroe would slip in the ranks a bit on a per game basis as he played all 66 whereas much of his competition did not.

Anyway, I guess it’s kinda a moot point. Fact is that Monroe will probably again be a steal at his ADP.

• Sep 19, 20128:59 am
          by Vic

Andthey’re both PFs while Monroe was forced to play centrr

• Sep 19, 20123:02 pm
          by Otis

Oops. That reply was meant for the article, not to your comment.

What I was going to say about your comment was that there’s only so much correlation between fantasy and real life value. Then I decided to just skip it because of how ridiculous it is to point to fantasy value as an indicator of real life value.

• Sep 19, 20124:03 pm
            by Max

No argument there but it goes a little too far to say there is no correlation.

• Sep 19, 20124:09 pm
            by Max

Oops, I see you said there is only so much correlation which I somehow read the first time as no correlation.  My bad.

• Sep 19, 20127:49 am

Yahoo has him ranked 37 in fantasy. Rarely do players get drafted on average more than 20% away from where they are auto-ranked. That would put Monroe’s probable ADP in the 30-45 range. I would rank him in the late 20s (early 3rd round) myself. But that would probably be typically considered a reach. He could easily produce top 20 fantasy numbers (although the lack of blocks in a big man really does hurt), but don’t expect him to be usually drafted there.

• Sep 19, 20124:05 pm
        by Max

But Monroe gives owners an unusual number of steals and assists for a center or power forward and I find it to be incredibly useful to pick players who help in non-traditional categories.

• Sep 19, 20124:08 pm
        by Max

Finally, I played in one fantasy expert league last year that was run by the guys who do the fantasy basketball basics podcast last year and Monroe went in the 3rd round, so I missed him, but I did get Kobe Bryant there  who dropped more than 20%.  The better the fantasy owners, the less the pre-rankings matter.

• Sep 20, 20128:35 am

That’s certainly true. And it is not at all atypical fr players to be reached for or to fall more than 20% in some leagues. Just for their ADP to move more than that is highly atypical. So I was replying to your comments on where he would be drafted on average. I have no doubt that he will sometimes go much higher.

• Sep 20, 20127:24 pm
            by Max

I played in five leagues last year and can’t access them but I know he finished 12th. I don’t think any league counted offensive rebounds but that is the cat that would make him move up the most……

• Sep 20, 20127:57 pm

That’s true. If it counted OREBs and DREBs instead of just REBs, that would help big men such as Monroe.

• Sep 18, 20127:44 pm
    by Bugsygod

Grantland Bill Simmons with Trade Values. Monroe at #22

• Sep 19, 20121:58 pm
      by G

Keep in mind the difference between trade value and NBA ranking. As I understand it, NBA rankings are purely based on skill set. Trade value factors in other things like contract, youth, and attitude, which is why Monroe ranked much higher than Boogie Cousins in trade value but lower on the NBA rankings.