Khris Middleton signs with Pistons, filling roster with Ben Wallace still semi-retired

Keith Langlois of Pistons.com:

Pistons sign Khris Middleton to bring the roster to 15 .. He’s in Auburn Hills and working out.

Khris Middleton’s signing doesn’t mean Ben Wallacewho, at last report, had a “good chance” of returning – won’t be a Piston next year, but this move makes it at least somewhat less likely.

Perhaps, though, Middleton’s contract is fully or partially unguaranteed. There’s also still plenty of time to move another player before Oct. 1. Just because the Pistons’ roster stands at 15 now doesn’t mean it’s stuck that way. (A reminder: A player sent to the D-League still counts against the roster-size limit.)

• Aug 15, 201211:41 am
    by labatts

This has to be a good thing.  He certainly seems  to be the dark horse as far as rookies go.  It will be interesting to see if they end up making a move for Wallace to stay on the team.  Hmm… perhaps they could move Daye.

• Aug 15, 201211:52 am
    by Oracle

Middleton’s potential > Ben Wallace’s experience > Daye’s unconfident shooting.

• Aug 15, 20123:46 pm
      by sop

Not sure I agree about Middleton’s potential, but Wallace teaching Drummond how to defend>>>>.

• Aug 15, 20126:26 pm
        by Oracle

Wallace can’t play anymore. He’s got maybe 10 minutes a night, and I’d rather see that go towards youth. The idea that he’s a great coach of defense has never been proven, even Langlois only ever says he’s a great model of work ethic and training, not that he coaches up the younger players on the finer points of D.

• Aug 15, 20121:10 pm
    by RussellC

that makes how many small forwards? Tayshaun, Maggette, Daye, Jerebko, and Middleton. English and Stuckey could also play it if necessary. It would be OK if one or two of them were defensive specialists

• Aug 15, 20121:23 pm
      by RussellC

I left out Singler

• Aug 15, 20121:24 pm
      by Dean

Add Kyle Singler to the list

• Aug 15, 20121:37 pm
      by labatts

Isn’t that standard, to have half of your roster be one position?

• Aug 17, 201212:48 pm
        by G

On a Joe Dumars team, yes. Remember way back when half the roster was a combo guard?

• Aug 15, 20123:42 pm
    by sop

here’s three trade machine deals that might help fix the problem:
    1. Prince, Jerebko and Daye to ATL for Josh Smith
    2. Prince to SAC for Tyreke Evans straight up or with Daye/picks

• Aug 15, 20123:43 pm
      by sop

4. Prince and Daye to HOU for Kevin Martin

• Aug 16, 20125:12 am
        by Vince

First off I doubt the Kings would pull the trigger on that trade, second of all, Josh Smith is Atlanta’s centerpiece/franchise player now that Johnson has been unloaded, they’d ask for a much higher price than Prince, JJ and Daye, think more along the lines of Monroe, Prince, Stuckey for Smith. The only trade that makes sense would be Prince and Daye for K-Mart, its been rumoured he’s on the move, and its pretty much a fact he won’t be with the Rockets for long, only problem is Houston have enough youth and talent at the 3, Daryl Morey is  -lets call it “interesting” – enough to accept that offer, the way I see it the Rockets are going to be very irrelevant these upcoming seasons, adding a veteran on the team might help them out a bit.

• Aug 15, 20125:14 pm
    by Derek

Not a fan of having Kevin Martin or Josh Smith.

HOWEVER

Adding Tyreke Evans would be major

I think Jonas can be classified under either 3 or 4 (5 depending on the match-up), the same can be said of Singler who I would also list under 2 (though he would have trouble chasing 2′s off screens).

I like the signing of Middleton.
    I’m hoping we can find a home for Daye and Villaneva.  Can’t really see them in the plans going forward.

• Aug 15, 20125:54 pm
    by MNM

keith Langlois is saying the the Pistons are looking for depth at point gaurd, which means they are gonna have to make at least one deal.

• Aug 15, 20127:24 pm
      by gmehl

Jose Calderon maybe??

• Aug 15, 20126:09 pm
    by DasMark

I’m surprised that Middleton was signed, it seemed slim. It certainly point to the potential that Detroit plans to make some trades to open up playing time for all their rookies.

• Aug 15, 20126:22 pm
    by aaron

off topic.  im getting a facebook twitter bar on my screen and cant read the articles.  anyway to close it?  is it my phone?  3g android phone?

• Aug 15, 201211:28 pm
      by tom

I can’t offer any help, but I will second that it is very annoying on my computer and on my phone makes the site not worth the trouble of visiting. If the site makes money off it, I get it, but if it’s just there to be helpful – it’s not.

• Aug 15, 201211:43 pm
        by Dan Feldman

Tom, Aaron, we upgraded the site in some ways (good ways), and the bar came with the other upgrades. We’re working on reformatting to get rid of it.

• Aug 17, 201212:49 pm
      by G

There’s an arrow button just to the left of the bar that minimizes it to a tab

• Aug 15, 20127:23 pm
    by gmehl

How about trading Corey Maggette for Jose Calderon. Both guys have close to the same money owed to them (10.5mil) and are expiring contracts after the season. We could throw in Will Bynum to fill in Calderon’s minutes as backup PG which will open up that roster spot for Wallace.

• Aug 15, 20127:43 pm
    by ryan

I’d like that trade gmehi. Jose Calderon is a pretty solid point guard still and more of a need than Corey Maggette.

• Aug 15, 20129:01 pm
      by gmehl

Yeah i actually mentioned this trade a couple of weeks ago but a couple of people shot the idea down. I suppose if you look at the pros and cons for either team i feel it could benefit both teams. The pros for Toronto would be:

unloading Calderon who is rumored to want a trade
      trading for Maggette and Bynum would give them SF depth and a backup PG
      Maggette for Calderon is an expiring deal for expiring deal
      a veteran presence in Maggette as the team is very young

The cons for Toronto would be:

Calderon is rumored to want a trade but still wants to start
      Toronto probably feels they could get more for Calderon and trading for Maggette is probably just a lateral move at best

The pros for Detroit would be:

depth at PG
      trading Maggette/Bynum for Calderon frees up a roster spot for Wallace
      the same as Toronto, trading Maggette for Calderon is an expiring deal for expiring deal
      a veteran presence in Calderon to show Knight the art of being a better PG

The cons for Detroit would be:

Calderon still wanting to start. He might not be content with coming off the bench behind Knight. This could also be viewed as a pro because it might push Knight harder.

All in all IMHO i think this trade could benefit both teams but probably more Detroit more than Toronto.

• Aug 15, 20129:27 pm
    by swampdetroit

Please stop talking about trading anybody, I like our team now.  We have size at the 3, 4, and 5.  That is what hurt the piston in the past, after big ben left the first time, sheed and antonio.  We just wasn’t athletic enough and didn’t alway move our feet for defense. The piston need to keep people out the paint exspecially other team guards (derick rose).  I hope this team have good shooters plus I hope we can play better team defense.  Our point guard is ok.  We need a shooting guard and back up true point guard.  Tayshaun is very good coach on the floor, for defense.  He is a type of player that reconized what the other team is doing before the coach knows.  He is very vocal defensive player.  That very valuable to the piston.

• Aug 16, 201212:17 am
    by Kevin P

Ben Wallace should stay retired.  Andre Drummond will learn from the coaches and veteran big men.  Lets stay with youth and allow the old to go off into the sunset.  We love you Ben, but your glory days are gone.  Khris Middleton has great potential.  He’s bigger and stronger than English and has a better shooting touch.  If he develops into the player the organization hopes he’ll become, the Pistons will be an even better team.

• Aug 16, 20127:14 am
    by Derek

Middleton is bigger than English.  I doubt he’s stronger than English.  He may have a better midrange game, but not a better 3 point shot.  Middleton seems to excel at creating his own shot whereas English moves well without the ball.  English appears to be a more dedicated defender (a smaller Shane Battier type).

Both players have strengths that offset the other’s weaknesses.  I look forward to them working together in training camp pushing each other to get better.  “Iron sharpens iron”

I’m a bit lukewarm on acquiring Calderon; however I would like to see Bynum get an opportunity at playing time elsewhere.  And I would like to see the Austin Daye expert come to an end.  Cutting ties with Charlie V is also on my wish list.

Wallace and Monroe working with Drummond would be ideal.  I’d love to see Wallace’s dedication to the weight room rub off on Drummond.  Drummond already has considerable size, if he could sculpt that out a bit it would make him a more formidable rim protector.

• Aug 16, 20129:02 am
    by GarageTalk

This team will need to address the SF position of they ever want to contend for a championship….Prince, Singler, Middleton or Maggette are not the answer, Singler or Middleton will fill a backup position behind a premier SF of the future…not saying Middleton is not going to be a decent player but odds are not in his favour…it will be tough to beat out a well rounded player like Singler for minutes…in ayear or two the Pistons will have to go to the well and find a SF of the Iggy/Granger/Jsmooth role to take us to the next levelif guys like Knight, Monroe and Drummond produce as we hope(and I think they will)…

Hacing Big Ben around for another year would be nice but if not I’m fine with it…he served his purpose and left on a good note here in Detroit as of now…If they can find a spot via a trade great then perfect especially if that trade involves one T.Prince…

Getting rid of Charlie V is my biggest wish…I still have a belief in Daye but it looks like he just doesn’t have a spot here in Detroit…what he brings to the table just doesn’t scream Piston to me…which brings me to Kim English…I have way too much faith in this kid already lol, I understand he is a second round pickbut everything just feels right.we whether English is a backup in the future or a guyscreaming for more minutes I just love what he brings to the table…he really seems like a guy that won’t allow himself to fail…if he becomes what we hope then I think he can be that bench X factor type of player where you may lose a little scoring but his will to win, defense and shooting willale him a pain to play against…this guys has Piston written all over him, I think he has a better chance to succeed here not only because of his position but because of his maturity…

• Aug 16, 20128:36 pm
    by MarkS

Having Ben Wallace around another year would be huge for Drummond and Kravtsov.  I know there was a posting on this site the other day about Monroe playing more of the 4 but I honestly don’t see that happening too much this year.  Drummond is raw and I although I know absolutely nothing about Kravtsov I do know he didn’t exactly light up the Ukranian league last season.  But having Wallace around would definitely help them adjust.  Not only defensively but the little things like taking care of your body, game preparation, intangibles.  And trading Daye makes sense because Villanueva isn’t going anywhere.  I think it’s time to accept the fact that Daye is never going to have a major role on this basketball team.  Ship him to the Lakers for their 2014 1st or something which will probably be the last pick in the 1st round after the Dwight trade.

• Aug 16, 20128:55 pm
    by MarkS

or maybe just send Middleton to the Mad Ants for a year

• Aug 16, 201210:38 pm
      by gmehl

If you read the article properly you’d know that sending Middleton to the Mad Ants (d-league) doesn’t open up a roster spot. Also the thing people are forgetting about Drummond and Kravtsov is that we only need those 2 guys to play solid defense, block/alter shots and rebound which is what we were lacking last year. We don’t need both guys to come in and dominate and score 20 points a night. On offense we just need them to go after offensive rebounds and get garbage points. If they can average 17 to 20 points between the two of them then i’m sure coach Frank will be happy. As for Wallace coming back i think people are being ignorant in thinking he would be a waste of a roster space. Yes he is not the player he used to be or even the player he was when he went to Chicago but the man is leader in every meaning of the word. He doesn’t lead by speaking but rather by his actions. Having him on the roster would mean the young guys in Drummond, Kravtsov, English, Middleton and even Daye, CV and Knight would never want to be outworked by a soon to be 39 year old pistons legend. You just know Ben is always the first guy in the gym and the last to leave and if he had all the young guys in there trying to out do him it will only benefit the Pistons organization come the start of the season. This team has got enough youth at the moment and having Ben there should not be overlooked.

• Pingback

Aug 17, 201211:36 am
    by Pick and Roll

[...] com o ala Khris Middleton, escolha de segunda rodada em 2012, o que pode significar que Ben Wallace não volta à equipe. – O Magic renovou contrato com o armador Ishmael Smith. – O Suns dispensou dois jogadores, o pivô [...]

• Aug 17, 201212:52 pm
      by G

Dude, did you just copy & paste some NBA ticker news from a Brazilian newspaper or something?

• Aug 17, 20126:54 pm
    by MarkS

wow, yeah i definitely overlooked the part of the article that clearly states that sending players to the DLeague doesn’t open up roster space