Terrence Williams reportedly receives interest from Pistons

Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld:

Unrestricted free agent Terrence Williams has received interest from the Sacramento Kings, Detroit Pistons and Phoenix Suns, according to sources close to the situation. Williams, who averaged 8.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists last season with the Kings, is weighing his options.

1. Consider the source very well could be Williams’ agent, who has incentive to overstate interest in his client.

2. Even if the Pistons showed interest at one time, their roster is pretty full, especially when it comes to small forwards.

I’d say Detroit signing Williams is a real longshot.

• Jul 3, 201211:08 am
    by John V

That would be awesome if we could add some much needed depth to the small forward position!

• Jul 3, 20122:33 pm
      by madalan

All dreaming aside, nobody is seeking Prince, Jerebko or Daye. Maxiel who sat on the bench for years resting until Franks found him a spot, played good enough to have suiters for jobs elsewhere. Being from a last place team value – Pistons – is no thrill to available players plus he has reduced values so he waits for anything before resigning. The offers seem most to be as a back-up or a back-ups back-up elsewhere. The resigning of Prince was for ….. not sure why but now he is no longer tradeable and Maggett/Prince means SF is NA for others. Signing Williams gets them an actual player others do want. Beasley the Failure can shoot. Need I go on? We offer no offense without Stuckey and the defense becomes very poor when he sits. Machado the Fat would get Pistons a real point guard allowing for gunner Knight to do his thing. At present they are equal on defense right now at point guard. Give away, throw away some Piston malcontents (Bynum, Prince, etc) eat the contracts. Reconsider net value of Jerebko, Daye, Singleton, etc. at SF when none are yet NBA average players. Drummond was smart draft pick and a better player than others have stated but the smart NBA sources say he is awesome athlete now and can take 20 minutes a night now.
      Enough for now
      - madalan

• Jul 3, 201211:33 am
    by Rodman4Life

This would cover our a$$e$ if Tayshaun got hurt, then Maggette got hurt, then Jerebko got hurt, followed by Daye getting hurt, and if Middleton got hurt, we would be able to manage.  Yes, this deal is as good as done!

• Jul 3, 20121:18 pm
      by MNM

You forgot about Singler getting hurt.. Which is why it would be a good move!

• Jul 3, 201211:41 am
    by rick

If hypotheticals were reality I’d go with adding Williams along with the young nucleus we have. Then if Joe wanted to go with a enigma then add Beasely as hecan play both forward positions. Williams is versatile enough to play the point, dont know about his efficiency but heard rumblimgs back a few years that he could play any position 1-3. That being said I’d keep Magette and his expiring deal and try and find trade partners so I can add another veteran shooter and point guard. This would mean finding deals for Singler, Daye, and Tay. I know Joe has something up his sleeeve or else he would not be signing a glut of forwards if he did not plan on trading at least two or three of them. Gotta believe he has some sort of plan that only he knows. Far as we know some team may want Singler considering he just played a year overseas and has some experience. Prince could probably be had by a West Coast team on the verge and Daye has got to have some kind of value for some team who thinks they can change his career around. I happen to believe we are set upfront with maybe the exception of Maxiel, who may be on the way out. Considering his deal is up at the end of the year I can see Joe holding onto him and Bynum til the end of teh year unless something unbelieveable is bought up for trade. Moving those three will be key and really believe that Joe D has that thought going as well. I like the thought of having a very versatile team with players who could be All Stars but willing to come together to achieve greatness.

• Jul 3, 201212:32 pm
    by Daye and Knight

I wouldn’t mind Williams if we could find a taker for Daye and Prince and both would have to be for lotto picks cause we’re full at the moment

• Jul 3, 201212:35 pm
    by Todd

Now, I recognize that the first two posts were great bits of sarcasm, but was the third? “I know Joe has something up his sleeeve or else he would not be signing a glut of forwards if he did not plan on trading at least two or three of them.” Really? We seem to have enjoyed a glut of forwards for the past season, and obviously nothing was up JoeD’s sleeve. Might have to keep waiting!

• Jul 3, 201212:39 pm
      by John V

It’s a five year plan.

• Jul 3, 201212:41 pm
      by rick

Well considering my post said hypotheticals I would consider it to be in the same vein as the other two post. With that in mind lasy tear was last year and the beginning of a new era. Laugh now, cry later.

• Jul 3, 20121:40 pm
        by Sam Bowie

There’s been a lot more crying now, with plans to cry later too but only with a roster full of swing men

• Jul 3, 201212:42 pm
    by rick

last year

• Jul 3, 20121:12 pm
    by Mark

Why is it so hard for ppl to understand that the Pistons might actually be looking for a longterm answer at SF, with these reports of them going after Beasley and now Williams?

People act like we have LeBron at SF and there can’t possibly be anyone better out there than what we have. Just because you have a lot of one position, doesn’t mean you have anything great at that position.

Here’s our great SF group:

Tay – 32 yrs old, probably 1-2 yrs left at best as a capable starter

Maggette – 1 yr rental, might be traded at anytime, def won’t be back next year

Singler – Unproven rookie

Middleton – Very unproven rookie

Daye – Garbage bust

Now, tell me again why we shouldn’t be looking at SF’s?

• Jul 3, 20121:18 pm
      by Mark

Not to mention that none of those young players are likely to be anything special. When you have a chance to get a top talent from recent drafts, like Beasley or Williams, whether they’ve panned out yet or not, you don’t pass because you have old man Tay, older man Maggette, Kyle Singler, a 2nd round rookie, and Austin Daye.

Starting PG, SG, PF, and Center appear to be set for the next 5-10 yrs. SF is the only starting position thats missing longterm, in terms of a young top talent to go with those 4.

Going after Beasley and Williams makes A LOT of sense.

• Jul 3, 20121:26 pm
        by Sam Bowie

You lost me at “top talent”

Williams is a head case and Beasley wasn’t even tendered a QO by a TWolves team that played better WITHOUT him.

If we’re gonna suck, at least give the kids a chance to see if they’re worth keeping around or not.

• Jul 3, 20121:42 pm
          by rick

You act like Minnesota is getting better by offering Bantum a max deal. It goes without saying the TWolves are one of the worst in sports. So the fact that they did not offer him a contract means nothing in my opinion. It’s not like Sheed didn’t smoke weed, but I guess it was ok for him. The kid needs direction and a team that has a good staff.  At 23 yrs old and 6’10 I’m more intrigued by him than Daye all day pardon the pun. As far as Williams goes the previous situations have not been the best for him especially since he’s been traded twice already in like 3years. Nets drafted him then traded to Phoenix if I’m not mistaken then he got traded to  the Kings. So I would say he has not had a chance to mature within a team environment before I assume he’s as bad as you say. You say Williams is a headcase as if you have insider info that noone else has. I know that you are doing nothing but rehashing someone else thoughts because I have heard it mentioned online in NBA circles, but whose to say it’s true.

• Jul 3, 20124:13 pm
            by Sam Bowie

Terrence Williams was demoted to the D League in New Jersey for attitude problems.  He was waived by Houston, a team who needs small forward depth and now Sacramento didn’t want him back after they signed him to a 10 day deal originally.  Would rather give Kim English some run at the 3 instead of Williams.

Pass.

I don’t care what a player does in his free time, so your assessment of my “you are doing nothing but rehashing” is really your projection of what I’m saying because I haven’t brought up weed smoking once.

Minnesota was playing well last season until Rubio got hurt.  They’re an extremely young team.  Wesley Johnson is considered a bust in a lot of NBA circles and yet he has still beaten out Beasley.  Beasley plays virtually 0 defense.  He’s no longer a PF/SF.  He doesn’t stretch the floor, he can’t stay healthy, he’s inconsistent in both regular and intermittent playing time, etc etc etc.  He’s 6’10 and doesn’t rebound… what are the positives about him?  A good mixtape of open lane dunks at Kansas State?

• Jul 3, 20121:29 pm
    by rick

Thank You Mark, you seem to understand the gist of my post. None of these guys we currently have are gonna make teams like Miam, New York, Or Boston scared. So if we go out and get athletic  as well as diversified then maybe we stand a better chance of being able to be in position to beat them rather than always coming close. The guys I mentioned would definitely come in with a chip on their shoulders and probably would buy into the us against them mentality that their predecessors played with.

• Jul 3, 20121:48 pm
    by Samuel Small

Also remember, Beasley is not that Old and he is capable of Scoring 17, 18, 19 a game. and Rebound. I would like to see him added and trade Tay, Singler and Daye. I don’t care what anybodies says, I think Singler is going to be a bust.

• Jul 3, 20123:35 pm
    by Carl

Why does everybody want Tay gone?  He can play the “Battier” role.  Veteran leader who can play D and hit the ocassionally 3.

• Jul 3, 20125:11 pm
    by rick

It’s not that I want him(Prince) gone, but if we can get better then why not do it? I’m speaking on pure hypotheticals. Sam Bowie, and with a name like that how can I really take a bust serious, thinks because a young player did this and that with one team it will be the same with a different team. Both of these players with resumes like that would have to know they are on their last lifeline. I would take the chance if none other than to be able to trade them the following year. If either of them actually played for a team that was not under turmoil and had some actual veteran leadership then I’d say pass. With the current roster makeup I think an infusion of older talent with younger talent could be just what the team needs to take the next step. These guys were both former lottery picks so their would be value especially if they come in and become model citizens who make a impact of the team moving forward. I’d take the risk considering the reward in the end. The trajectory is up for the Pistons and a move here and there could be the difference.

• Jul 3, 20125:35 pm
    by John

Sign and trade beasly and a 2013 or 2014 protected first  for prince and Maxiell for Williams sign and trade???

• Jul 3, 20125:36 pm
    by John

Give maggette,beasly and williams all a shot at starting since maggette is only a rental and we are set long term

• Jul 3, 20125:46 pm
    by Portuguese Piston

Tayshaun
    Maguette
    Singler
    Daye
    Middleton

Where is Damien Wilkins when we need him?!

• Jul 3, 20125:47 pm

Either player would be a nice acquisition for the right price. I wouldn’t even mind both just because the odds of either panning out aren’t great.

• Jul 3, 20126:09 pm
    by John

wilkins sucked. Didnt he? and idk if anyone noticed but now we have depth and need to trade.

• Jul 3, 20126:16 pm
      by Portuguese Piston

I was being ironic…

• Jul 3, 20126:21 pm
    by Bugsygod

Do we have to get a big time SF this year?? I mean the guys we have can get us thru the year. Then next year when we have close to 20mil in cap space go after a REAL top flight all star quality SF….Patience people. Patience

• Jul 3, 20126:25 pm
    by john

we can go after Josh Smith

• Jul 3, 20126:54 pm
    by Todd

What kills me is that so many people on these message boards keep saying things like “trade Tay” or “package Max and Bynum and ___________”. I love to speculate and hope as much as the next guy, but do we realize Joe D has swung 1 trade in the last three seasons – and that just now happened. I am not sure that people are looking to take on our bloat of swingmen for anything of real value…sure they might take some bad contracts or worthless players if we were giving up a superstar, but obviously we are not!

• Jul 10, 201210:38 pm
    by kings fan

I would like for T-Will to return to Sacramento kings.

• Sep 20, 20127:20 pm
    by Drew

We need to amnesty the hairless wonder Charlie Vinnaneva and sign Terrence Willaims. Plus, we need to trade Tayshawn while he still has some kind of value. Each year, hes progressing downhill and we need to get rid of him. I dont care if he has a ring or basically got us to the finals with “the block” but that was 8 years ago. We need to let him go. And Austin Daye is just terrible. Jonas is more of a power forward. Corey Sphagetti looks legit so maybe he can start for the time being, but we need a young small forward. We have a good chance of making a playoff push this year, but Joe D. has to take some chances.