Pistons to sign Vyacheslav Kravtsov

Marc Stein of ESPN:

The Detroit Pistons have struck a verbal agreement to sign Ukranian center Vyacheslav Kravtsov to a multiyear deal, according to his agent.

"Vyacheslav intends to sign a player contract with the Pistons when the moratorium period ends," Kravtsov’s representative, Jeff Schwartz, said Sunday night.

Kravtsov averaged 10.6 points and 5.5 rebounds in 22 minutes per game last season for BC Donetsk in the Ukranian league. Scouts regard him as an excellent athlete who plays above the rim and is primarily known for his defensive abilities as a rebounder and shot blocker.

The signing had been rumored for about a month, and as I explained here, I like it:

• Jul 2, 20121:37 am
    by MNM

Does this mean he’s a lock to be on the roster come regular season, or is this just a lock for summer league/training camp?

• Jul 2, 20122:27 am
      by Tom Y.

If he signs a multi-year contract, he should be on the roster.

Sounds like a good signing, though it makes me wonder some more about all those players… someone is going to be traded for sure, possibly a couple of guys. And if Big Ben returns (and I hope he does, especially so he can mentor Dre), will they sign Macklin now that they have Kravtsov?

• Jul 2, 20123:23 am
        by gmehl

I am thinking Macklin, Daye, Bynum and CV will be gone whether it be traded or amnestied. Is it just me or does anyone else have this deep fear that if Daye is traded something will just click and his career will take off. How good would it be if he stacked on a whole bunch of muscle this off-season in fear of his dwindling career and made Prince expendable. Realistically it won’t happen but its good to dream.

• Jul 2, 20127:52 am
          by labatts

I don’t have that fear.  The most he will ever do will hit a couple of three pointers.

• Jul 2, 20129:22 am
          by MNM

You can’t operate with fear.. If he puts it together somewhere else, then fine. (outside of the Afflalo trade, which I didn’t like the moment it happened)..Daye’s not a “plus” on this team.. One mans junk is a another mans treasure.. Just ask the ’04-’05 Pistons.

• Jul 2, 20127:52 pm
          by Geoff

I think you are right about the list of players that you indicate may be gone.  I do think that will end up retaining Bynum (though he should be gone).  I think CV will actually get another shot, since what we have seen is inconclusive.  I will qualify what I mean by ‘inconclusive’.  The Kuester years were a wash, because he kept runnning illogical lineups.  I don’t think any player should be judged for those 2 years.  That said, we’ve seen Daye and he just isn’t going to hold down a front court spot.  At any rate, everyone was ready for Joe to shake things up.  Since the franchise has been lockup in sales negotiations, I like that JD is being deliberative.

• Jul 2, 20123:35 am
    by RICK

People need to understand how the salary cap works before they assume certain players will be amestied. Im not harping on your comment per se but that comment ges tossed around here alot. Their is nothing to gain by amestying Charlie V. I don’t understand why people think Gores is going to pay Hamilton to go away then Charlie V. It’s not something that would bring back any sort of value moving forward. Charlie V needs to step up this year and show why Joe D gave him the deal he gave him. People use hindsight when they say we should have never gotten this guy or that guy, but go look at his numbers the year before we signed him and tell me he wasn’t worth the money. In this NBA we need a stretch four to spread the floor out for guys like Knight , and open driving lanes for Stuckey. If not for turmoil the past few season who knows what he would be like as a player. Now he has a clean slate and can do nothing but move up. The onus is on him but I think he can do it. People need to look at the contracts guys like Asik and Bantum are getting then be happy Joe signed Charlie V for such a bargain.

• Jul 2, 20126:31 am

This has been reiterated many times, but people who repeat it rarely seem to consider that we don’t really know what will happen during the season. Even if amnestying CV creates no cap space, it does bring the team closer to cap space and further from luxury tax. Depending on the moves that may happen during the season, that could be valuable–and it definitely wouldn’t hurt. But the amnesty can only be used in the offseason. So Dumars can’t wait and see if he’d like CV off the books at the deadline or whatever.

The only risks of using it on CV are that the Pistons turn out to want CV (possible if he somehow improves or there are excessive injuries to others) or if they decide they want to amnesty someone else (highly unlikely now that BG and Rip are gone, Prince and any player yet to be acquired are ineligible, Max is a not very expensive expiring contract). So basically, it should come down to weighing the potential risk of CV’s presence on the team being desirable vs. the potential benefit of his contract’s absence. I don’t know which side carries more weight there, but the point is that suggesting amnestying CV even without the rest of the plan figured out yet is not blatantly absurd.

• Jul 2, 20129:27 am
      by Aruna

I think the big amnesty question here is whether CV can pick up his player option if he’s amnestied.  Because he is almost certain to pick up that option, given what he would make on the open market.  If we amnesty him so he can’t pick up his player option we end up saving $8.58 mil minus whoever we bring in this year to take his minutes and we will have all that cap space available for free agency in 2013.

tldr; The reason to Amnesty CV now, is to make sure he doesn’t pick up his player option for 2013-14.

• Jul 2, 20127:36 pm

I’m pretty sure an amnesty will still pay him his player option.

• Jul 2, 20129:29 am
      by MNM

He wasn’t worth the money.. Gordon and CV were practically given “starters salaries” for being bench players.. Chicago tried starting Gordon for a stretch and it didn’t work, CV lost his starting job in Milwaukee and then Toronto fairly quickly, because of his shortcomings.. Nobody was really bidding against Detroit for these guys.. At least with those offers..They could have gotten them for less..but whatever..

• Jul 2, 20123:39 am
    by @GPMasters

So how does this work? I see that he declared for the 2009 Draft, but I’m guessing he went undrafted? Does that mean he has been up for grabs all this time? Looks like he played on the Celtics Summer League team in 2009.

Interested to know how we can just sign him like that.

Cheers for any info!

• Jul 2, 20126:35 am

Anyone who declared for the draft but wasn’t drafted is an unrestricted free agent. Most of them just never get signed–kinda like retired players. Technically, Dumars could sign up Shaq or Bird or any number of other guys.

• Jul 2, 20123:44 am
    by @GPMasters

And regarding Charlie V amnesty – Vince G’s article from yesterday is really good.

• Jul 2, 20124:28 am
    by domnick

i think we can find a taker on CV… but one more thing needs to do first… we are overloaded on SFs… we need to unload Prince too.

• Jul 2, 20126:22 am

“I don’t know anything about Kravtsov other than what I’ve read, but I’m pleased the Pistons are interested. Even if he’s not a lock to belong in the NBA, 7-footers are hard to come by. Outside of drafting one in the top of the first round, teams must take chances to acquire quality bigs.”

Normally, I’d agree. But in this case, why is Kravtsov getting a multiyear deal while Macklin’s option isn’t even picked up? Roster spots are valuable and I would rather the Pistons give someone like Kravtsov a shot than sign another Wilkens. But that’s just because for a team in Detroit’s position, signing a Wilkens sort of player is just imbecilic. I don’t know what Kravtsov has done that is as impressive as the little we’ve seen from Macklin.

• Jul 2, 20127:56 am
      by labatts

Yes, I found the “multi-year” aspect puzzling, too.  I won’t freak out until I see him and hear how much though.

• Jul 2, 201210:26 am
      by 1298ty

“Multiyear Deal” more than likely means a one-year contract with multiple team options

• Jul 2, 20126:23 am
    by DasMark

Nice pickup for the summer league and training camp. Doesn’t sound like a guaranteed deal. But, it will provide Detroit with some coverage if Ben Wallace decides to leave, and/or Drummond isn’t anywhere near developed as they had hoped.

• Jul 2, 20128:51 am
    by vic

I hear we’re trying to sign Beasley too. that makes me sad. yet another SF

• Jul 2, 20128:54 am
    by Vince

Oh dear… Well we can assume a lot on the team’s future from this signing:

1) There is a trade in the works, that’s pretty much confirmed
    2) Odds are, Pistons won’t sign Vernon Macklin – Which I personally find to be disappointing
    3) Joe D probably won’t go after a Free Agent (at least not a big – there goes my hopes for a Jason Thompson signing)
    4) I think we can rule out Wallace returning to play in Detroit

Now I don’t mind this signing, I’m just surprised Dumars would sign a 7 footer that no one has ever heard about to a multi-year deal, no knock on him but 10 and 5 in the Ukranian League doesn’t really impress me.

Just to address what someone had said previously about amnestying Charlie V:

Villanueva has shown nothing to validate the signing of such a large contract, sure he can step up now, but its too late, he never really fit in Detroit (see a previous post a while back about how he was called soft during an interview), he never lived up to  expectations and lets face it, played like crap. Amnestying him might cost Gores a ton of money, but if he’s serious about moving forward then I don’t think money would be a problem, if we can flip CV for picks and a decent player, go for it, otherwise he has no place within the Pistons organization. This team is rebuilding and turning the page on what has probably been the worst three years in Pistons history, they don’t need that ugly reminder of those times sitting on the bench taking minutes from more deserving players who’ve worked hard and are better then him.

• Jul 2, 20129:21 am
      by bugsygod

Thompson is a restricted FA, Kings have said they are matching any offer.  So he was not coming.  Not sure why so many ppl want Macklin back?  He played well in the D league, but dude is already 25, 26 this year.  Only bring him back if Slava cant play and Ben stays retired.  I do see Ben coming back thou!  And as far as no one has heard of???  Umm that is why Joe and his staff get paid, to find players we have never heard of!  GREAT OFFSEASON SO FAR!  Cant wait for Orlando Summer league!

• Jul 2, 20129:31 am
        by Vince

S&T for Thompson could work. I think Macklin deserves another year, anyone know if he will be playing in the Summer League?  I guess… Just seems a tad rushed to offer the guy a multi-year if we don’t even know what his potential is. FYI Kravtsov is 25 as well, kinda put the whole Macklin is old story in perspective. Make them play one on one for the roster spot, that should be interesting.

• Jul 2, 201210:37 am
          by bugsygod

Vince not to sound like a jerk, but… Again, we did not see a years worth of practices like the coaching staff and front office on Macklin.  Im sure if L. Frank, said keep Macklin, i think Joe would have found away.  An to say “WE” dont know Kravtsov potential, doesnt make sense as “WE” have not been to Europe to watch him play & practice, like the Pistons scout staff.  He was the no1. shot blocker in Europe per Draftexpress. I mentioned the age for Macklin as this is his 2nd pro year at 25 with very little minutes, Kravtsov has been in the pro league since 20 and won some league awards per pistons.com.  So we are getting a veteran player who has played major minutes in a pro league.  But Macklin will be on the Summer leage team so will be good to see his improvements and what he can due.  Drummon, Macklin, Singler, English and Knight should be the starters. Maybe Daye over English or Singler.

• Jul 3, 20124:39 am
            by Vince

Haha no worries mate, I’m just surprised that a player who performed well in limited limits didn’t get a QO, if there was some sort of explanation for it, yeah sure I’ll be alright with it. I was disappointed Terrico White didn’t get a QO in ’11 but the explanation that he wasn’t much of a team player and didn’t have a good work ethic was good enough for me. In the end I just want some sort of explanation, I don’t want this guy to go off and get signed somewhere else where he gets better minutes and flourishes.

And about Kravtsov, fair enough, I never said I didn’t doubt the guy, I like the signing, just surprised that he’s unknown, and that his numbers are low for someone who I’d expect to do well in the NBA, whereas there’s Macklin who I believe has earned more minutes.

That’s just me.

• Jul 2, 20129:10 am
    by bugsygod

I must say so far with draft, trades and now this FA signing, Dumars is having a pretty good off-season.  He is addressing team needs, size, shotblocking and shooting, while also helping our cap siuation for next year.  My all the profiles on this guy he is an athletic defensive shot blocker.  Now this opens the door for more trades!  CV? Daye? Max? My Pistons are back making moves!! PLAYOFFS FOR DEETTRROOITTT BASSSKEETTTBALLL!!

• Jul 2, 201212:28 pm
    by Al

Pistons looking to go big i see!! Taking notes from the Lakers with the 7ft’ers clogging the paint. These are all good signings according to multiple sources, good for Joe D and the Pistons. Now, who are we getting rid of?? What do we get in return?? Cap space? Multiple draft picks? Cant wait to see how this pans out and see the offical roster going into the next season. #faceliftDET

• Jul 2, 20124:37 pm
    by MrCarter

Am I the only one who went “WHO THE F&%K!?!?” when I saw this??