Pistons-Thunder summer-league open thread

• Teams: Detroit Pistons vs. Oklahoma City Thunder
  • Date: July 11, 2012
  • Time: 1 p.m.
  • Television: NBATV

• Jul 11, 20121:04 pm
    by Al

Hope they look to keep Drummond involed more than yesterday. We know what Knight does and Singler seems to show what he’ll bring, Daye too. Lets get a better look at the rest of the crew who hopes to land a spot. Macklan, English, Ware and I like Yates seems he could be a Kendrick Perkins type(Hmm) and Middleton! Perry Jones III should help make it an interesting game.

• Jul 11, 20121:15 pm
      by Brendon

Andre Drummond looking a little bigger, aside from his missed dunk.

• Jul 11, 20121:09 pm
    by XstreamINsanity

PJIII is out, hurt his ankle yesterday.

• Jul 11, 20121:26 pm
    by XstreamINsanity

Very nice, Dre made both free throws, very nice.

• Jul 11, 20121:32 pm
    by bvpiston

Andre is looking like a boss out there on D, with this boards, his blocks, and his inside presence. He’s owning Aldrich. Daye with a Lebron block, very sweet.

• Jul 11, 20122:08 pm
      by 1298ty

Around here we call that a Tayshaun Block

• Jul 11, 20122:23 pm
        by bvpiston

You, sir, are correct. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that.

• Jul 11, 20121:34 pm
    by hirobeats

Dear Brandon Knight, stop turning the ball over and fry these scrubs like we all know you can

• Jul 11, 20122:01 pm
    by @GPMasters

Drummond looking good tonight! Cole Aldrich is hopelessly over-matched out there, he looks broken!

• Jul 11, 20122:04 pm
    by Brendon

Brandon Knight has surprised me this summer league, and not in a good way. I didn’t expect to see him that much because i thought he would dominate most players out there and they would want to save him from possible injury, but what happened in the summer league worries me. He is showing a lack of NBA level decision making, especially in this game 4 TO’s in the first half, and his shooting % is in the 30 percentile. I think if we have any hope of shooting for that 8th playoff spot our up and coming 2 year guard needs to step up his game. Even though this is only summer league and he might not be playing as hard, it does worry me he won’t be at his best for the start of the season. Any thoughts?

• Jul 11, 20122:09 pm
      by XstreamINsanity

You have to remember, on the real team, he won’t really be shooting as much, have better rebounders around him, and better options.  I’m not saying that excuses his play in the first three games so far, but I”m not expecting him to dominate.  He’ll have on and off nights like everyone else (had to refrain from using Knight in that, lol).

• Jul 11, 20122:10 pm

Couple of thoughts:

- One of Knight’s goals during the offseason has been to get better at PG play. Summer League, though, isn’t really the best indicator of whether he’s been able to do that. Teams don’t run much halfcourt offense, players tend to go 1-on-1/look for their own shot too much in an effort to impress/win a roster spot somewhere, etc.

- The level of talent around him isn’t that good. Knight has a year of experience as a NBA starting point guard. He’s certainly still developing, but he’s far ahead of most of his teammates when it comes to understanding an offense. A couple of the turnovers I’ve seen him make have been the result of him throwing the ball to the correct spot and his teammate being out of position.

Knight absolutely needs to get better at both passing and protecting the basketball if his future is at point guard. But I think we’ll have a better indication of where he’s at with that in preseason games rather than summer league.

• Jul 11, 20122:28 pm
        by Brendon

Ya I can see how his turnovers aren’t always his fault, and I know he’s still developing since he’s only in his second year in the NBA, I guess i must have had had too high of an expectation shooting the ball in the summer league. I just hope we have some good scorers when it comes to the regular season.

• Jul 11, 20122:39 pm
    by Victor

Middleton still sucking and it seems he’ll keep sucking this week.

• Jul 11, 20122:56 pm
    by hirobeats

With the exception of Dre Drummond, these young men look awful this afternoon.

• Jul 11, 20123:07 pm
      by Brendon

Austin Daye looked good, if you consider him a young man.

• Jul 11, 20124:09 pm
    by pokerpro932

Well , it was a bad loss, we got absolutely beaten at the end and some things did disturb me.I have to mention however Andre D , who had a great game in terms of stats.But I saw something,and Im hoping that Im the only one being bothered by it,but Drummond really picks his spots when to be active.What I mean is,on many of the opposing teams attacks he was reaaaaally lost.He wasnt guarding anyone,he was out of position and wasnt even bothered by the opponents scoring.But,offcourse,there were times where he showed why we picked him,I mean 4 blocks and 9 rebounds…nothing to say about that,great productivity.What do you think?

Ps.Sorry bout the english,but Im from measly Bulgaria :)

• Jul 11, 20128:31 pm
      by jacob

Andre should be a freshman in college, I wouldn’t read too much into anything right now. It’s gonna take him 3 to 4 years before we know how good he’ll be.

• Jul 12, 20121:45 am
        by gmehl

Exactly Jacob. I mentioned in an earlier post that i think Drummond might takes as long as Jermaine O’Neal took to mature. By memory he was drafted at 18 years of age by the Blazers and he only matured in his 5th season when he was traded to the Pacers. Hopefully he clicks earlier than that because he should be getting at least 20 minutes playing time per night which Jermaine didn’t as he had more experienced bigs like Rasheed in front of him.