Pistons have interest in Michael Beasley

Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated:

A source said Phoenix and Detroit are among those pursuing small forward Michael Beasley. Minnesota declined to extend the former No. 2 pick a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.

With a  full roster, I’m not sure how realistic this pursuit is, unless Minnesota is amenable to a sign and trade. Beasley is still young and he’s talented. Whether he makes the most of that talent remains to be seen. I wouldn’t be opposed to the Pistons signing him, depending on the price. He might be worth a look on a short, make-good type of deal. But if they’re trying to sign him to a multi-year deal? I’d be really leery of that. Also, no way I could get behind adding Beasley without subtracting a few others from the roster. Zach Harper said it best on Twitter:

• Jul 2, 20129:14 am
    by Vince

S&T would be better for Detroit… Maxiell and Prince for Beasley and a second rounder?

• Jul 2, 20129:20 am
    by Aruna

I like the talent Beasley has, but am unsure about adding such an unstable presence to such a young locker room.  While Monroe and Knight are class acts, despite being so young and Stuckey has taken some steps in leadership, I don’t think anyone in that locker room has the gravitas to keep Beasley in line if he becomes a problem.  I really don’t want to see Drummond anywhere near that type of influence.  As much as I want Beasley to get his head on straight and succeed, I don’t think the risk of setting a bad example for big guy is worth it.

• Jul 2, 20129:24 am

Yeah. Joe Dumars just spent two days telling media how he needs to create the right environment for someone as young and impressionable as Drummond. Not sure how adding Super Cool Beas to the mix would fit that goal.

• Jul 2, 201210:28 am
        by CNA5

You mean a cloud of smoke isn’t the right environment for Drummond?

• Jul 2, 20123:37 pm
          by Anthony

I works for the lions! lol

• Jul 2, 20129:23 am
    by david

This just in:
    The Pistons are interested in signing every available small forward in the league with idea of creating a super small forward by forming up like voltron.

When asked if possible, Dumars said “hadn’t thought of that”

• Jul 2, 20129:31 am
      by labatts

Well, that makes the most sense so far…

• Jul 2, 20129:52 am
    by bugsygod

Two Words —- HELL NO! Not for ANY contract, this may be his agent trying to create a 2nd team to compete against Suns to up his contract price.  NO WAY JOE DOES THIS!  NO WAY

• Jul 2, 201210:20 am
      by CNA5

No way a GM takes a flier on a former #2 overall pick?  The NBA is famous for second a third chances.

It’s worth taking a look at a guy with his level of talent.  I just get the impression that he’s more content smoking weed every day and doing the bare minimum to collect a NBA paycheck.

Who knows?  Maybe he’s finally realized that he could be making $12M/yr now if he didn’t waste all this talent smoking pot and playing Madden all day.  I wouldn’t hold my breath, but I’d certainly would inquire.  He is only 23 and certainly has all the tools to be a 20+ ppg scorer in the league.

• Jul 2, 201210:35 am

Yeah, exactly. I’m hoping Dumars isn’t interested in him on a multi-year deal, but if Beasley is looking at one-year deals to rebuild his value, he’d be intriguing.

• Jul 2, 201210:03 am
    by MrHappyMushroom

You know, Beasley does (rightly) have the rep as a guy who hasn’t made good on him promise.  But from what I understand, he has never been a bad locker room guy.  And as a Kansas State fan, I recall how beloved he was during his one year in Manhattan.

In some ways–and here me out before you pounce–he is a much more talented Charlie V.  As lousy has he’s been with the Pistons, you’ve never gotten the sense that Charlie is a bad guy or that his teammates hate him.  And Beasley does everything that Charlie does, but at a much higher level and his potential far exceeds Charlie. (You’ll recall that there was massive debate about whether the Bulls should draft him or Rose.)

If we are talking a CV level contract, forget it.  If Michael could be convinced to sign a shorter, lesser contract if he was promised to be put in the “right’ situation–low pressure, young team, a dedication to tough love–he could still be a very good player.  And if there were a way to flip Prince for him, even at matching contract levels, I’d do it in a second.

• Jul 2, 201210:10 am

Yeah, Beasley has always been well-liked. The issues in the NBA have been a combination of how motivated he is to get better and then his off-court issues, namely pot.

Character-wise, I don’t think Beasley is a bad guy. But work ethic wise, he seems to be the opposite of the type of player Dumars has said he’s going out of his way to acquire the last couple seasons.

Couple of interesting things with Beasley though:

- With his talent, if he’d accept a cheap contract, he still has enough potential to turn into something of value. Like I said in the post, it’s all about the price. Maybe a cheap contract playing for his NBA future would motivate Beasley.

- The last time Dumars signed a talented player whose team did not even give him a qualifying offer it was Villanueva. As we saw, Dumars handed him a huge long-term contract. That’s my fear with Beasley, honestly. I don’t worry about the reputation or any of that stuff so much. It tends to get overblown, I think. I just worry that Dumars might give him a comfortable contract, Beasley would have a good chance at underperforming and the Pistons would be stuck with another underachiever who is difficult to get rid of.

• Jul 2, 201211:14 am
        by MrHappyMushroom

Patrick–do you see my Beasley = CV + More Talent + More Upside thinking?

I know we’d all be scared off by anything that even brings CV to mind.  But like you say, if a guy like Beasley could be convinced to come in and just be part of a growing system and not demand a lot in terms of contract amount or length, I like the idea.  But, again, my Kansas State roots make me biased.

• Jul 2, 201211:21 am

Yeah, I’d agree that Beasley has more talent/upside than V did when the Pistons signed him. Also, I loved Beasley at K State.

Like I said, he’s worth a look depending solely on the contract. Dumars gave an unproven upside guy with motivation issues in Villanueva a huge contract and it blew up on him. I hope Dumars has learned from that. If he were able to get Beasley on a short, cheap deal while also clearing some other bodies off the roster, I’d probably be OK with this. If he’s talking multi-year, then I think Dumars is crazy.

• Jul 2, 201210:10 am
    by MrHappyMushroom

Jebus…he sounds like the answer!  (From 2009):

Strengths: One of the best post prospects in Europe He has great physical potential, is a supreme athlete; with an excellent attitude Plays with courage and desire, and has surprising maturity for his age A true center. At 7-0 260 and with a big frame, has the size to play center in the NBA Has a great attitude, and shows a high level of desire Has the toughness and demeanor that you want in a post player He’s got the face of a child but a man’s body and plays with a physical nature His instincts for the game and ability to play at a high level is rapidly improving Very strong rebounding the ball Really has an imposing physique and should get stronger He can be involved and make plays without having the offense focus on him Foot speed and agility is excellent for a player his size An aggressive, fearless player, unafraid of contact Has solid touch around the basket using lefty hooks and jumpers Defensive minded. A solid defender and shot blocker in Europe but probably just average by NBA standards, but has the physical attributes to be a solid NBA defender in the future Does a solid job managing his fouls

• Jul 2, 201210:18 am
      by 1298ty

Wrong Article!

• Jul 2, 201211:10 am
        by MrHappyMushroom

Damn.  Just realized that!  Everyone please pretend that you’re reading about
        Vyacheslav Kravtsov
        when reading the above excerpt.

• Jul 2, 201210:19 am
    by 1298ty

I’d love for this to happen, it’s about time we got a pure scorer on the roster

• Jul 2, 201210:34 am

I wouldn’t really call him a pure scorer. He’s an inefficient, volume shooter. If he can make his game more disciplined, then he could be an asset to a team.

• Jul 2, 201210:53 am
        by bugsygod

NO Favors for Summer league, he is on US Select Team.

• Jul 2, 201210:41 am
    by ryan

If we could do a sign and trade or something I might be interested but overall he doesn’t excite me much.

• Jul 2, 201211:00 am
    by Jay d.

If we sign BEASLEY some one has to go. I think someone is traded in the offseason with all this pickups. We have two players in their last years of their contract. One is max and the other is Magette. I think both are gone by the deadline depending on the growth of maklin(if he resigns) Drummond and or the new European guy…  I am feeling really excited to see what the team might do next.

• Jul 2, 201212:40 pm
    by Mark

For the MLE, I think its worth a chance. Joe is famous for picking up former top picks, who hadn’t yet panned out, waiting for the value to drop, then getting them for cheap.

We really don’t NEED anything more on this roster, position-wise, but long-term, SF is the only spot we will need to fill eventually with a young guy to grow with Knight, Stuckey, Monroe, and Drummond. Beasley is still very young and would make sense to pick him now, if you can get him for the MLE, rather than overpaying for someone else later. And he would make that one heck of talented, young starting 5.

One thing overlooked in acquiring Drummond is the affect he could have on attracting FA’s here. He seems to be a popular guy among the young players, and seems like guys want to play with him. If its just down to PHX/DET, with Nash leaving, it would seem Beasley should rather want to play here with all this young talent, for a franchise famous for rehabbing players careers, vs PHX who has nothing really.

• Jul 2, 20121:20 pm
    by tom

Seems like a great move to me. We are never going to be the destination for superstars making their Decision, so instead we need to draft well and gamble on mid level free agents. Even if is just the player he has been thus far in the NBA he is a worthy rotation guy, but he is still young and has the potential to be a star.
    While he could certainly turn out to be the next CV, I think its just as likely he turns out to be the next CB.

• Jul 2, 20122:22 pm
      by sebastian

Agreed, Tom. And, WE can make room for him. For instance, if the Trailblazers are not able to sign Batum, WE can offer them both Tay and Daye; or if the Lakers continue to become disgruntled with Artest and Matt Barnes … again, WE can offer up Tay and Daye. I would also move the rights to Kyle Singler to anybody willing to take his what will be a very portable contract off of OUR hands.

Do it Joe, because WE need a skilled and long SF in OUR starting line-up.

And, like many have already stated, the dude is still very young.

• Jul 2, 20123:03 pm
        by tom

I can’t imagine roster space being an impediment. If we’re willing to depart with them for close to nothing I’m certain we can move Bynum, Daye, Singler or Maxiell. I would love for us to keep Singler and I have no problem keeping the other guys I mentioned, but I would rather have Beasley.
        Also I think amnestying Charlie is more viable than a lot of people seem to think. If you view his contract as wasted money it doesn’t really cost anything to pay him now, it’s money the Pistons have to spend and we’re going to get nothing out of it either way. Then it just becomes a question of whether Beasley, or whomever, is a good investment. If he or they are, then the fact that CV has to be bought out shouldn’t matter. So the question is really are we truly trying to be as good as possible next year. If yes, then seems like we have to ditch CV while we can.

• Jul 2, 20124:53 pm
    by RICK

It’s easy to say its wasted money when you dont have to pay it. What is that the gold standard in Detroit now, when you under perform we just amnesty you? I think Gores has better ways of spending his money than sending a player to another team for him to pay while he plays and performs for someone else. Makes no fiscal sense this year and the Piston’s gain nothing by cutting him, all the while losing a commodity around the NBA, a stretch four who can spread the floor. This is it for Charlie V. either he will get it or he won’t. Just doubt that Gores will just throw money around like that. Can’t have a team full of bangers and shot blockers. Team needs diversified parts to make teams pick their poison and balance everyone on team out.  I like Beasely and think he could be something special(kinda like Drummond) but damn get rid of Charlie V for a known pot head, smh. If not for anything other than their personalities alone. Thats a whole other debate.

• Jul 2, 20125:22 pm
    by Kyle

Beasley is intriguing indeed.  At 6’10″, he enters the rotation as either a backup to tayshan or greg.  If the  Ukrainian and Drummond can provide defense, looks like Frank will use the center position in a manner similar to Wallace.  There a lot players to trade with after that, but not sure Minnesota wants any of them: Singler, Maggate, Bynum, Daye, CV.  Which would you want?

• Jul 2, 20128:04 pm

Unlike some others here, I am all about the long-term contract. Yeah, it’s risky. But that is how you get phenomenal value. How do you think the “Going to Work” Pistons were formed? Billups and Wallace were given mid-levelish deals long term. So then when they turned out to exceed expectations, they weren’t suddenly due a big raise. Dumars had several more years to fill out his team, win a championship, and get close a couple times before Wallace commanded an inflated offer from Chicago and Billups had to be given 8 digits too.

• Jul 2, 20128:04 pm

Granted, I wouldn’t want a really expensive long term deal. More like $20-25M/5 yrs.

• Jul 3, 20124:48 am
    by domnick

we need to dump the excess Forwards first….

• Jul 3, 201210:28 am
    by Gabriel

Too bad beasley is good enough shooter and has good enough footwork to play the 2 he’s so versatile only 23 yrs old, has a high ceiling still and could play multiple positions

• Jul 3, 201212:57 pm
    by PistonsFan22

I personally would love this signing. This is the kind of talent that the Pistons should have been pursuing a few years ago instead of BG and CV. Very young, all star level talent. The question as always, does Beasley want to be great? He has more than enough talent to be an all star. Dwayne Wade said it’s not whether or not he can be great, it’s if he wants it. So far in his NBA career he doesn’t want it. He still has time and at some point you would think he would have some personal pride after seeing all of these players he was much better than passing him by due to his poor work ethic.
    Beasley will not be able to command anything near a max level deal so to me you gamble on lower cost talent, especially talent that you might be underpaying at the end of the deal if they reach their potential. Beasley is still somewhat of an unknown commodity that has enormous room for growth in his game. We knew what we were getting with Charlie V and Ben Gordon, there was no room for growth with those two players and what we were getting was not worth the money being paid.
    All of that being said I personally don’t think the Pistons fans, who are scared of Beasley, have much to worry about. The Pistons roster is not an ideal landing spot for Beasley. I figured he would sign with the Suns before the free agency period started and I still believe that. The Suns have room at the power forward position and I personally believe Beasley is a better power forward than a small forward. He knows this too. If he wants to prove people wrong he needs to find a team where he can get most of his minutes at the 4 instead of being forced into the 3 position where the Timberwolves and Heat played him.