Greg Monroe on US Select Team: ‘I should have been invited’

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

Monroe on not making US Select Team: "I am just a little bit disappointed. Some people might not think it, but I honestly felt I (cont).

"should have been invited." #Pistons #summerleague

"I don’t forget anything. Anything. I remember what people said from high school so I don’t forget anything. It always motivates me."

I like this Greg Monroe more than the one who said his sixth-place finish in Rookie of the Year voting wouldn’t motivate himdespite tweets that seemed to say the opposite. At the time, I saw Monroe as a young player afraid to rock the boat, even though he disagreed with the establishment’s opinion of him. Now, Monroe sounds assertive and confident in his place in the league. To me, that’s positive progress.

If it’s any consolation, Monroe might have passed DeMarcus Cousins, who apparently failed to impress as a member of the select team. USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo, via Kurt Helin of ProBasketballTalk, on Cousins:

“Show respect to players, and you get respect back,” Colangelo said. “He needs to mature as a person, as a player if he’s going to have an outstanding NBA career. So before there’s discussion about him being part of our program, he has a lot of building to do…

“He has a lot of growing up to do.”

• Jul 8, 20126:49 pm
    by J in FLA

LOVE Moose’s attitude!  Looking forward to him playing with a chip on his shoulder for the next few years!  Look out NBA!  After looking at the players that were selected over him, I don’t blame him for being miffed.  He is one of -if not the most- underrated players in the game today.  Hopefully that changes this year.

• Jul 8, 20127:37 pm
    by Nine_Fat_Stalks

looks like we dodged a bullet with Cousins…

• Jul 8, 20127:54 pm
      by DasMark

Didn’t “dodge” anything. Dumars wanted Cousins badly, he was trying to trade for him even after Sacramento took him. At this point, I don’t believe Dumars would swap Monroe for him, unless Sacto sent back five first rounders with him.

Moose is a stud. On every NBA website I’ve read people criticizing Colangelo for not extending an invite to Moose. I guess nobody else knows NBA talent like the guy who built that amazing Raptors team.

• Jul 8, 20128:54 pm
        by dismark

you mark..  i’m sure the original poster remembers what happened..  dodging a bullet is a fine thing to say, no need to incorrectly correct him

• Jul 8, 20128:06 pm
    by gmehl

The thing i like about Monroe is that he would rather show Colangelo has made a mistake by not selecting him for the select team with his performances on the court rather than turning to twitter like an immature Cousins would. Speaking of moose i think its about that time of year again where Joe should be mailing the Warriors GM his annual than you card for selecting Udoh over Monroe. Hopefully he will have to send one to the Raptors for passing on Drummond too.

• Jul 8, 20129:17 pm
      by Vince

I remember reading on a SLAM thread a while back how the Warriors fans wanted to start a riot when Lacob selected Udoh ahead of Monroe.  ’

The Detroit Pistons, the luckiest draft night team since 2010.

• Jul 8, 20128:49 pm
    by moe

i remember his rookie year where he always got his layups blocked because he wasnt tough enough to dunk. that guy has emerged into this one…an established vet with a chip. those numbers will only get better for him. He’s gonna be an all star in 2013 .

• Jul 8, 20129:11 pm
    by Vince

YES! I was already annoyed in June when Greg Stiemsma was selected ahead of him. I thought that was pretty disrespectful to Moose, his stats are waaaaay better then Stiemsma! The only thing Greg S. did better then Greg M. was blocking more shots and have a slightly higher FG%. When Stiemsma dropped out due to injury I imagined the USA Select Team would offer Monroe an invite, but they didn’t.

This guy is getting no respect, He should’ve had more Most Improved Player considerations, he should’ve been chosen as an All-Star (Hell, if Roy Hibbert can make it why the hell can’t he???) – or at least should’ve had more votes then he did get. Liking his attitude though, playing with a chip on your shoulder can be good, loving the mentality and leadership he’s adopting. Its great.

• Jul 8, 201210:33 pm
    by brandow

with howard out of the US team, chandler would need help at the 5 spot, they should of just invited another center like moose to help chandler out, plus moose deserves to be in the US team because he works so hard to win and get better

• Jul 8, 201211:29 pm
    by Jack

Colangelo said two weeks ago he would have considered adding another big but the deadline to get it done had passed.  There are issues like drug testing and other time lines every country has to consider by which time the team members under consideration have to be set.  But any ways Moose deserved to be on there and I hope he uses it as motivation like he says he will.

• Jul 8, 201211:38 pm
    by qm22

Colangelo really threw Cousins under the bus. WTF. Even if he is right, that strikes me as hypocrisy. Asking for respect, then tarnishing his character to the utmost in a completely unnecessary way. I’m not even a Cousins fan at all. It was not a constructive statement. Colangelo should not be talking badly about people he invited, and if he wants to help Cousins he should speak his mind in private.

• Jul 8, 201211:45 pm
    by moe

only reason hibbert made it over monroe was because his team had a winning record and monroe’s didnt even though their numbers were very similar

• Jul 9, 201212:32 am
    by brandow

really i think iggy and harden shouldnt be on the team, i respect iggys all around game but we already have that in lebron and as for harden he is the sixth man for okc and they put him in the US squad. obviously he chose griffin not because he plays the game but because he can dunk

• Jul 9, 201212:44 am
      by Vince

They chose Blake because of his insane flopping abilities.

• Jul 9, 201210:08 am
    by Ray

Cousin shot 44% last year and shot 45% this year ….. he wants to be a SG….not saying he is soft but he wants to be a SG…. Greg shot 55% last year and 52% this year…and almost hot 5 shots less than Cousins…..

would have been very excited on Draft day if Cousin fell to us, but given his problems since he has been in the league and what the pistons went through 2 years ago….

we are very lucky to have Greg…and in just two years we get one the of most gifted athletic big men to ever enter the draft….

Could you imagine Cousins mentor Drummond? assuming that would have been our pick

• Jul 9, 201210:31 am
    by Vince

“USA basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said earlier last week he was committed to bringing Thomas and Stiemsma, who played on the Pan American games that won a bronze medal last summer. Some feel politics are involved, considering Thomas played at Duke and his college coach, Mike Krzyzewski, coaches the Olympic Team. Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich has been heavily involved in USA basketball and might have pushed for Blair. There’s a feeling in some circles there is a quiet backlash against Monroe’s agent, David Falk, who has been influential in the NBA for the past three decades.”

SLAM’s piece on Monroe’s beef was a good read, that excerpt above was pretty enlightening. Full story here.

• Jul 9, 201210:40 am
    by Alejandro

Was there ever an explanation why guys like Stiesma or DeJuan Blair were given bids for the Select Team and not Moose? I’m a hardcore basketball fan, played it through High School, and continue to play weekly so I understand the game. But am I that dumb that I can’t figure out why Moose wasn’t asked? Did the coaches every give a reason? I am dumbfounded.

• Jul 9, 201210:48 am
      by Vince

The SLAM article above explains it all really, its all politics. Popovich helped the selection, he pushed for Blair, Thomas played under Krzyzewski at Duke, Stiemsma was at the Pan Am Games and for some reason everyone hates Moose’s agent… Its bloody ridiculous.

• Jul 9, 201210:51 am

The explanation I heard that makes the most sense is basically, the select team is not them picking the best team of young prospects in the league.

Basically, it’s USA basketball picking a roster of guys that they feel will prepare the Olympic team for what they’ll see in competition — maybe they want to practice against a good shot blocker, hence Stiemsma would have the edge over Monroe or they would want to practice vs an undersized big man like Blair since there are a lot of undersized big men in international play or a guy like Favors to see someone who is elite athletically. Basically, they pick the select team based on a collection of specialized skills, not ‘OK the top 12 players in the U.S. are the Olympic team and the next 12 best are the select team.’

That’s really the only scenario that would make sense. As you said, on no planet would anyone consider Stiemsma or Blair or Favors better than Monroe.

• Jul 9, 201211:01 am
    by Alejandro

Vince & Pat, thanks for the explanations fellas. I guess we just have to look at the positive in the situation and hope Moose continues to let it fuel him tha the was left off.
    On a side note, can’t wait until I get off work and can go home & hit my DVR and watch our first summer league game today!

• Jul 9, 201211:31 am
    by Ray

I thought the same thing…but in reality….MORE EURO BIGS have Greg type of game…can dribble drive, face up or back to the basket and shoot….. defensively, in one on one in the post its more about footwork and positioning to force tough shots

Never claimed that Greg is a great defender, but he plays his man well…

• Jul 9, 20127:06 pm
      by oats

But we’re not worried about everyone. We’re worried about Spain. Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, and Serge Ibaka. If I’m not mistaken, they have one of those short, thick guys on the roster too. Felipe Reyes I think his name is. I would use Greg as the Pau counterpart, but Spain is a really athletic team with some solid defenders up front, and they will try to push people around. It kind of makes sense to focus on more physical players for the select team and be prepared for that while trusting the players to know that Pau is the one finesse big on the roster. That’s my best guess though, Greg was left off to train for the athletic Spanish team that is clearly the biggest competition for the US team.

By the way, Greg actually doesn’t play his man well. That’s kind of the worst thing he does defensively. He has quick hands and gets steals, especially with sloppy inlet passes. He is smart enough to play vaguely acceptable help defense, but once his man gets the ball in his hands Greg is pretty terrible. That’s also probably part of why Monroe didn’t make the cut, he gets carved up by guys like Tyson Chandler and Kevin Love.