Former Piston Terrico White having impressive Summer League for Clippers

Yeah, I’m trolling here. But not too much. Admittedly, I do enjoy posting on the rare occasions when former Pistons show a glimmer of moderate promise elsewhere — see last year’s masterpiece of a headline, ‘Did the Pistons let DaJuan Summers go too soon?‘ after he had an OK four-game stretch with the Hornets last season. Always serves to get some of the ‘the Pistons give up on young players too soon!’ die-hards all frothy mouthed in the comments.

But, if you haven’t been following the Las Vegas Summer League all that closely, Terrico White is making the most of an opportunity with the Clippers, averaging 12.3 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1 steal in just over 16 minutes per game while shooting 50 percent from the field. Now the Clippers are loaded up at the guard position with Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Jamal Crawford and Eric Bledsoe on the team. Plus, they have last year’s second round pick, Travis Leslie, a guard remarkably similar to White — big for his position, freakish athlete, not the most polished basketball player — also fighting for a roster spot, so White’s odds of making that team are pretty slim, but he’s played well enough to at the very least get a training camp invite from some team. He also reportedly has some good international teams pursuing him as well.

White will certainly go down as a draft pick the Pistons probably could’ve made better use of, but he’s also incredibly talented athletically — rated as a first round talent prior to that draft by many respected draft outlets, in fact. Injuries as well as the Pistons not being enamored with his work habits ultimately contributed to things not working out here, but I always root for players to make the most of the NBA opportunities they get, and it looks like White is doing that. Good for him.

• Jul 20, 20129:00 am
    by Guus

Just out of curiosity: I’ve steen the term ‘trolling’ come by every now and then since I’ve been active on this forum, and I’m not very active in online communities (except this one, but that has more to do with me being a Pistons fan than being interested in being active in an online community :D)
    Could you guys give me a working definition of a ‘troll’ or ‘trolling’? I’ve gotten some idea of it’s meaning, but there remains some vagueness for me :)

Thanks!

Guus, the Netherlands

• Jul 20, 20129:19 am

Sure Guus.

Basically, I used the term ‘trolling’ here because I was putting something out there in an effort to gain a response. In this case, it is harmlessly intended, knowing that there are a few regular commenters who get really worked up about the Delfinos/Afflalos/Johnsons of the world who got away and developed elsewhere, so I’m sure at least one or two might pop in to comment on missing an opportunity with Terrico White or something along those lines.

The actual definition of internet trolling is something more serious/annoying in nature — commenters sometimes troll by anonymously putting ridiculous/controversial/contrarian/incendiary statements in comments sections just to incite angry reactions or to steer a conversation off-topic. Here’s a definition of the more abusive form of trolling.

• Jul 20, 201210:53 am
        by Guus

Thanks, Patrick, your comments and the link both helped a lot :)

• Jul 20, 201210:47 am
      by labatts

<— Troll.  On a serious note, I love the humor you put into these articles, Patrick.

• Jul 20, 20121:59 pm
    by Max

I thought White was a good draft pick and someone to be excited about until he got hurt and missed his whole first year.   Not the the Pistons or Dumars fault–just bad timing, because at the time of his injury, he was looking like possibly the most athletic player from his entire draft and he was drafted in the second round.   I’m sure a lot of people around here remember the rookie dunk line session during which White was clearly the best.

• Jul 20, 20122:45 pm
    by frankie d

another wasted dumars draft pick.
    he obviously doesn’t do adequate work on his picks, his recent blind luck, notwithstanding.
    his stunning admission that he only had 2 sources before he drafted darko confirmed that he is simply lazy and has been incompetent in setting up a system for draftee evaluation.
    his recent admission that he had to conduct an emergency 11 pm workout for drummond fits that pattern.
    how could any nba gm fail to do adequate prep work on a guy like drummond – who was going to be a top 10 pick, but a guy who could have gone anywhere from 2 to 10 or beyond – and have to conduct a last minute workout once word got out that drummond might fall?
    that was as stunning as the darko admission, as it indicates that while he’s changed his work habits somewhat, he still does far less prep work than is necessary.
    (and this is all consistent with dumars admitting that he had not worked out guys like monroe in previous years, as he did not expect to be in a position to draft those folks.  which is probably one of the reasons joe never does any draft day deals.  he is simply not prepared to look at and consider players he has not narrowly targeted, based on his predetermined draft position.)
    unfortunately, we have all seen the physical deterioration of dumars – the huge weight gain – which illustrates a certain sloth and laziness.  it appears that his professional habits have mirrored his personal habits.  instead of being the fit, active guy who obviously kept active and fit and worked hard, he’s now the grossly overweight guy who for some inexplicable reason doesn’t even take an afternoon to work out a guy who just might have fallen to him before he last minute.

• Jul 20, 20128:55 pm

I’m not a big fan of Dumars. But you are not considering the extenuating circumstances here. At the time of the Darko pick, Europe wasn’t well scouted. Who knows how many good sources Dumars could have gotten on him. And maybe he had his top two guys scout Milicic. That would normally be enough. And I don’t believe Monroe was willing to work out for someone picking as low as Detroit. He wasn’t supposed to fall that far until the possibility of the Udoh pick leaked maybe a day or two prior to the draft. And even given that, it’s not like he was going to fall past Detroit. I’m guessing it’s the same deal with Drummond. It was only toward the end that he/his agent realized it was reasonably plausible that he would fall to Detroit. So until then, they didn’t grant the Pistons a workout.

• Jul 22, 20125:42 am
      by Max

Frankie D manages to surprise me even when is totally repeating himself.   I just can’t believe he even thinks what he is writes but he must because he repeats himself.   And I remember Dumars looking pudgy during his playing days.    He’s always loved his spicy food.   That’s just Joe.
      @Frankie D:  I happen to be thin but I find your points about Dumars corporeality to be absolutely ludicrous.   Was Alfred Hitchcock slow of thought or a lazy worker because he was fat?   How about Peter Jackson when he filmed the Lord of the Rings trilogy while looking like some kind of fantastic fat monster himself?   These men make Joe look skinnier than Austin Daye and yet no one would question how sharp they were or how hard they worked.  Look at nearly any field that isn’t based on athleticism and you will find out of shape fat people amongst those at the top.  And the opposite prejudice exists too you should know.   A lot of people think a person probably isn’t too bright if they are in great shape because they think they must be investing in exercise rather than study.  Both arguments are absolutely false as each person is different.

• Jul 21, 20121:25 am
    by MattM26

Im sooooo tired of all the Dumars bashing!!! Some of u act like spoiled ass children!! 2 nba finals appearances.. 1 ring and how many straight years did we go to the Eastern conference finals???? I promise u if wedidnt take darko the next 1 or 2 teams would have so stop already!! And how easily u forget all of the solid talent joe has drafted late… Prince, Okur (Who is a very good PF), Jerebko, Stuckey etc… all mid to late first rd and 2nd rd picks… And yes he has missed on some free agent signings but he also built a championship contender by a sign and trade with G.Hill for Big Ben who nobody knew, he sent an allstar in stackhouse to washington for rip.. Brought sheed in to put us over the top along with drafting Jerome williams and bringin in Corliss williamson who was huge in our championship run!! He signed BG and Charlie V because none of the other guys were comin here and both were young and comin off of huge years… They didnt pan out people it happens but lets not forget about all the guys who did… he would have made moves sooner but his hands have been tied since Bill Davidson died…Now hes makin moves again!! Shut up already and let the man work

• Jul 21, 20128:55 am

He’s done a lot well. But most of that was quite a while ago. Recently, he’s done terribly. All of his good moves (drafting a guy who fell) were things anyone could do–like myself.

Imagine you met a girl and you started dating. And she was just awesome. Maybe a few minor faults, but one of the best people you’ve ever met. And this went on for a couple years. And then, suddenly, she changed. She just became an insecure, passive-aggressive, nosy, holier-than-thou bitch. In spite of how awesome she had once been, wouldn’t you break up with her? I mean, you’d give her a bit more time than some people because you remember those great times and it’s possible she’s just going through a tough time. But it just drags on and on with no real sign of changing. It would be time to part ways and then try to fondly remember the early years while distancing yourself from the later ones. For the Pistons, that girl is Joe Dumars.

I will give him all the credit he is due for some fantastic years a while back. But that doesn’t mean I am happy to see him keep screwing up the current team.

• Jul 22, 20125:46 am
        by Max

The analogy is fine, the application is terrible.

• Jul 22, 20127:45 am

Really? That’s your comment? You’re basically going to say “you’re wrong” and not only fail to provide an argument or any evidence, but even fail to provide a reason why?

• Jul 22, 20122:25 pm
            by Max

I could say the same to you.   You plug Dumars into a comment for an analogy but you didn’t substantiate the claim against Dumars.    For my part, I was just saying that it is a workable analogy that I understand but I don’t think Dumars fits.   You didn’t say why he fits either other than saying something about not liking how he is continuing to screw up the current team.  I think he is doing great.   There, now I’ve given you my argument.

• Jul 22, 20125:24 pm

He’s doing great? What was his last great move? It’s hard to count guys who fell in the draft who you, me, and everyone else would have taken too. That is more of not continuing to screw up colossally. The only move he has made since the series of moves that anyone with a brain would consider abysmal was trading BG+first for Maggette. And that is hardly a home run. He sacrificed at least a decent pick to get out of a bad contract a year early. Unless he kicks ass with the flexibility the move created, it was yet another flop in his long line of them starting when he busted up the annual ECF Pistons.

I thought my analogy was super obvious. Dumars did a great job with making the “Going to Work” Pistons. He did a terrible job disassembling them. That’s basically been his entire tenure thus far. SO you think his Billups trade, Afflalo trade, BG and CV signings, Amir trade, Wilkens signing, Russel Jr signing, and BG trade were “doing great”? Really?!?!?!

• Jul 23, 20121:57 am
        by Max

I love the young core (Monroe, Stuckey, Knight, Drummond, Jerebko) and direction of the team.  I also think a few years of pain were unavoidable and I even think those years of pain could have been much worse.   They were never the worst team in the league or even close to being at the absolute bottom.  Many were in favor of the Pistons being even worse but the last three drafts have been such that the Pistons couldn’t have done better if they had had higher drafts picks each year.    That said, if they had been just a little bit better the past few years, their prospects would look much worse now because they would not have been able to draft Monroe, Knight and Drummond.
        I don’t agree with you at all regarding whether to credit Dumars with his recent draft picks.   He could well have drafted as badly as some of the teams that have drafted right in front of him but he hasn’t.  It’s all well and good to say any GM would have made the same moves as Dumars but I don’t believe that for a second.   GMs make the idiosyncratic moves they want to make and 7th, 8th and 9th picks are never as obvious as 1rst, 2nd and 3rd picks and teams screw those up often enough.   Further, it took some courage on his part to draft Knight when the team had such an obvious need for a big last year.
        The biggest point I would make to say I think Dumars is doing great is that I have not wanted him to make moves the past couple of years and he hasn’t.   He’s been patient and reminding himself that he doesn’t want to make short term fix moves and I applaud that.  As I look at the team, they have a young core piece that I believe in at every position except small forward where the Pistons do have their true vet in Prince in place along with the possibility of Jerebko and several other prospects.    The Gordon trade now has them set up to be able to make big moves next year and all of the core pieces will still be under contract.   That is doing great.  It is all coming together.   And Monroe was the best acquisition Dumars has ever made in my view but only time will tell.

• Jul 24, 20127:11 am

I’m not saying any GM would have made those picks. Nor am I saying he doesn’t deserve credit for them. I am saying they don’t qualify as “great GMing”. Because, for the last three drafts, I am betting over 90% of Pistons fans would have taken the same guy Dumars did. Credit him for not messing up, but they were hardly strokes of genius (I am somewhere in between you and Laser on this, who wouldn’t give Joe any credit). Furthermore, we don’t even have any idea whether Knight or Drummond will end up being particularly good or if someone else picked after them will far exceed them. But they were the right picks.

“The biggest point I would make to say I think Dumars is doing great is that I have not wanted him to make moves the past couple of years and he hasn’t.”

Yes, if your way of defining a good GM is not doing anything, then Dumars has done great for the past couple seasons. It’s just a new definition to me. I believe he should have been taking on more bad contracts attached to prospects or picks so that when the deadweight comes off the books, we would have more of a core than Knight, Stuckey, Monroe, and Drummond. If all four become all-star caliber players, that’s fine/enough. But if they don’t all, it will be hard for this team to return to contention.

• Jul 24, 201212:52 pm

Great drafting is more like taking Stuckey and Afflalo. Because neither of those were considered the obvious pick who had somehow fallen into Dumars’ lap. But they still represented fantastic value. The Monroe, Knight, and Drummond picks deserve only a sliver more credit than the Durant pick.

• Jul 24, 20122:36 pm
            by Max

There is something to what you say but there is also something to saying that picks like Durant, Duncan, Jordan, Shaq, etc are the best draft picks because they are the best players.   Sam Presti might not even still have his job if he hadn’t drafted Durant and the Thunder might be the worst team in the league right now.   It is incredible difficult to project what they would have done if they hadn’t drafted Durant but we see how drafting Durant has worked out for them and supplied the foundation for everything they have done since.
            At the point when Dumars drafted Monroe, there was was no young core piece to build around other than Stuckey and his presence did not dictate a certain kind of team or direction.  Their future identity was so unclear that there was little point in having a specific long term plan other than trying to acquire pieces to get back in contention.   Once they drafted Monroe and he’d played a full year though, it  seemed obvious to me that the Pistons had a young core player who was worthy of designing the entire team around.  He was so young at the time though that there was no urgency for the Pistons to rush or make any short term moves.   As it stands, Dumars has not made any real short term moves since and he has now set himself up to be able to add contracts and money to the roster before being forced to resign any of his young core pieces.    Now that is doing great if you like and believe in the young core he now has in place which I do.   To me, the biggest factor in why Knight and Drummond were great pickss (and the reason why so many Pistons fans would have made the same ones) is that their potential skills sets are so complimentary for Monroe and Stuckey in particular.   They didn’t just represent “best talent available” but most complimentary talent available for the players the Pistons already had and were building around.   A lot of teams fail in this regard time and time again but I believe Dumars is showing once again that he understands how to put pieces together to form a cohesive whole.

• Jul 24, 20125:53 pm

BTW, I had no desire for Dumars to make moves focused on the short term. I was disappointed that he was not willing to make moves sacrificing the short term for the long term.

• Jul 22, 20127:42 am

Also, the hands tied excuse is kinda weak. Quite frankly, we don’t know how much he could or couldn’t do. Obviously, the situation was complicated because a third person, Karen Davidson, had to agree to any deals. But when the perfect trade opportunity came up: Prince for Butler + a first rounder, he whiffed on it. If he passed up as obviously a good deal as that, of course he wasn’t finding any trades that worked.

• Jul 21, 20123:02 am
    by @GPMasters

PISTONS GIVE UP ON YOUNG PLAYERS TOO SOON GRRR

• Jul 22, 20122:13 pm
    by jacob

WTF, butler wouldn’t of stayed. Prince is a really good player. I hope he retires a piston. People need to stop with all the lets trade prince talk, or get rid of him. No way.

• Jul 22, 20122:22 pm

Thank you Jacob.

• Jul 22, 20125:18 pm

The point was never for Butler to stay. But who knows if would have (not would of–wtf do you think “would of” means?). But then, who knows if Butler would have re-signed. The reason Prince did is that nobody else was going to offer him that generous a contract. I don’t see how that rationale wouldn’t apply to Butler. For that matter, Prince could have been re-signed by the Pistons the summer after being traded. So many options.

But the main point is, no, he is not a really good player. His defense is barely above average anymore, and, as many articles here have shown, he is one of the least efficient scorers on the team. Yet he insists on continuing to chuck it. And Prince has shown no desire whatsoever to mentor the young guys or set an example of leadership and professionalism. And his contract infringes on the Pistons’ future flexibility. If not for its longevity, maybe BG (an inferior player for sure but sacrificing first round picks hurts) wouldn’t have had to be traded and the Pistons would still have their first rounder.

• Jul 23, 20122:06 am
        by Max

That is just such nonsense about Prince in general and about his professionalism and willingness to be a mentor.  I don’t even know how you can possibly justify such views and I’d love to hear Brandon Knight respond to them because Prince has quite obviously been involved with Knight since before he was even a Piston.    Professionalism?!?   Other than the Q incident which involved almost the entire team, name me one moment in Prince career that leaves him open to anyone questioning his professionalism.

• Jul 23, 20125:38 am

Like yours, my info is pretty much limited to what the media puts out. So of course it’s always possible that it’s an inaccurate reflection and Prince contributes more or less to the locker room than I know about.

Besides the “strike” again Kuester that many players were involved in (but mostly the old guys), Prince has also been known in recent years for his “me first” attitude on the court, his insulting his coach by referring to his decisions as “buffoonery”, and his being a leader of the rift between the old guard and the new guard on the team. So there are three instances besides the “protest” off the top of my head.

But you’re right. There were reports, starting partway through this last season, that he had finally started to take on something of a mentoring position towards Knight. I would call that too little, too late for any discussion on whether Dumars was well advised to give him his contract since there was clearly no way of knowing such a relationship would begin. But hopefully it is one that will contribute at least somewhat down the line.

And it’s nonsense that his defense has slipped a ton and that he is one of the most inefficient scorers on the team yet insists on being near the top in shot attempts anyway?!?!?!? It’s hard to give stats to support his defense slipping, but every NBA fan knows it. And the fact is referenced now and again in columns on other matters. It is rarely substantiated because anyone can tell just by watching him. But his inefficiency and shot volume cannot possibly be questioned. They are stats, pure and simple.

Finally, none of this addresses that either way he was going to be a UFA. If Dumars really wanted Prince, he still could have signed him the offseason after trading him.

• Jul 23, 20122:37 pm
            by Max

That would have sucked as Prince should be a lifer.
            I totally disagree that Prince has a me first attitude and he shot about as often last year as five or more other players on the team.   Show me footage of Prince taking poor pct shots–you won’t be able to.  It really annoys me that you and others accuse Prince of shooting too much as if it’s up to Prince to decide how often he shoots and not the result of what plays the coach calls and what the defense offers.  Prince is a flow player and you will be hard pressed to find any former or current NBA coaches that do not praise Prince for always making the right play if they talk about him at all.    As for his defense, I still think he is a great defender but his individual defense has slipped.   Individual defense is about ten times less important than team defense.   Larry Bird was a poor at defending his own man and was still a great defender because he understood team defense.  So does Prince who is never in the wrong place on the court and never fails to make the correct rotation.    If the Pistons had any kind of shot blocking behind Prince, his decline as an individual defender would be about 90 percent less noticeable.   In my opinion, the Wallaces contributed to how good people thought Prince, Billups and Hamilton were as defenders immensely and Drummond or shjot blocking and rim defense in general can still make a huge improvement on Prince’s ability to defend.
            Finally, Prince had developed more consistent pet plays by the end of last year to get Knight and Monroe the ball than other player on the team.   My favorite is the screen and roll where Prince throws Knight an alleyoop.   They made the play a bunch of times but I don’t remember any other player making a similar pass to Knight all season.

• Jul 23, 20122:46 pm
            by Max

Also Dumars doesn’t have to wait for the mostly negative reports to admit something positive when he is aware of it all along. Reports know next to nothing of what is taking place behind the scenes and the attacks you made against are speculative and unsubstantiated.   Prince is one of the most professional Pistons and NBA players of all time so I find your stance ludicrous.  The worst I could possible agree with is that he had a bad week around the Q incident that is the lone exception in a decade of impeccable, mench (or Joe Dumars) like behavior.

• Jul 24, 20126:55 am

It’s true that if you attach particular value to being a lifer, that changes the equation a bit. I don’t. That’s not looking at it from a basketball or a business perspective. That’s making it about emotions. Not that that’s a bad thing to do. It’s just very not me.

“It really annoys me that you and others accuse Prince of shooting too much as if it’s up to Prince to decide how often he shoots and not the result of what plays the coach calls and what the defense offers.”

Obviously, who takes shots is in part a result of those things. But the vast majority of plays are not called by the coach. So that only applies to a couple. As for what the defense offers, there are always multiple possible shots in a possession. Prince far and away led the team last year in isos. I am fine with him playing in the flow. But when he isos, that is a low percentage shot. It would almost certainly be higher if he just gave up the ball and let someone else do something. The only time he should ever iso is when there is not enough time left on the shot clock to make anything else happen. And it is most definitely Prince’s choice to iso. I could be wrong, but it usually seems that he chooses to do so because he doesn’t trust his teammates because they are young. that said, toward the end of the season, he was doing better. But most of the last three years, Prince’s play has not been all we could hope for.

In general, I have nothing against the guy. He’s a decent to good player. He’s paid appropriately. And he even kinda fits a need on the Pistons (they don’t have a lot of other competent SFs). But he doesn’t fit with a rebuilding team. Because we can see his game eroding. And by the time these Pistons are ready to make noise int he playoffs, he will not have much left. Also, his contract runs too long. It hurts the Pistons’ flexibility. Without it, I don’t think BG would have had to be traded. Not that I want Gordon, but I am disappointed about losing that pick.

• Jul 24, 20122:49 pm
            by Max

Well, on that score, I will say that I thought the Pistons biggest weakness during the first half of last year was how poorly Knight was at even getting the ball across half court and how many unforced turnovers he was committing in general.   Gordon handled the ball terribly all year too.   Prince was in a bind because only he and Stuckey could be relied on not to turn the ball over.  Even Monroe historic rookie season of not turning the ball over proved to be something of a fluke and due to the Pistons running so few plays for him.   I’ve said it before but Prince will look better when the other pieces look better.   You don’t see it or agree with me but he is being asked to shoulder too much responsibility.   He plays the most minutes, handles the ball, runs the offense at times, gets the ball on the block in the post, must take a decent amount of shots since they play so many non-scorers and shooters and is often asked to guard the opposing team’s best scorer for long periods and even play some power forward with his spindly frame.   As I wrote this list of things he does, I did reflect that over 90 percent of the players in the NBA would never be asked to take on such a long laundry list of consistent responsibility, but hey, Prince is damned good.   You can attack his individual stats stats but not his versatility and very, very few players are nearly as complete.

• Jul 24, 20122:57 pm
            by Max

@Tarsier     Also, as far as Prince being a lifer, I believe he is like Joe Dumars in that he can have great value after his playing days.  Chris Webber once said Prince has the best basketball IQ of any player he’d ever met.    Coach K said during the redeem team that Prince was like another coach and that he’d sub Prince out for any player, at any position, if they weren’t running the plays correctly so they could watch Prince and learn.   Prince has always even spoken like a coach:  during their great run, they would blow teams out and Prince would always be talking about the little gaps in their play and how they needed to be more consistent.   Frank is a young coach and I’m hoping he’s a great longterm fit but in my fantasies, Prince will one day coach the Pistons and perhaps be even more valuable than he ever was as a player.   Trade him, and the entire scenario falls to pieces and he might be a great coach for someone else.

• Jul 24, 20126:16 pm

Personally, I think the odds of any given player becoming a successful coach, much less a great coach, are so miniscule that I would never make basketball decisions based on the possibility. But that is an interesting consideration I’d never thought of. And I do recognize that Prince is much better on a good team than a bad one. That is one of the main reasons I was against bringing him back. I don’t anticipate Detroit having a good team soon enough for it to be worthwhile. But who knows, these guys could surprise me yet.

• Jul 31, 201212:10 pm
    by John Buhcanan

I happen to be and Las Vegas and saw Terrico White come of the Bench and led in scoring for the LA Clippers in on meet. This guy is healthy and he looked great on the floor played great denfense and these guys meet up for summer league and they play ball and most meet there teams 2 days before Summer League …. I think we should give Terrico White another try at his home here in Detriot … Lets be honest before the new owner there was alot of things wrong with our Ball Club because we had no true owner. So Greg “Moose” could us a young gaurd like Terrico White to Relieve pressure when it comes to scoring. He was injured and gone and we never gave him a chance. We let go alot players last season but it didnt improve the team. So lets start young and bring the Terrico White BACK TO DETRIOT ….

• Oct 8, 20122:17 pm
    by TR

Brandon Knight Alleyhoops to Terrico Knight do sound nice right about now and we don’t have nobody at that position that’s athletic as he was. DANG YOU DUMARS!

• Oct 8, 20122:18 pm
    by TR

*White lol

• Apr 1, 20135:55 pm
    by best dog clipper

thanks for the wonderful article! I have been checking for anything similar
    to this. i’ll be checking your Feed so i wont miss the good stuff! once again, wonderful site please keep it up! Please pardon me if my english is not good.