Detroit sports survey

Mike Florek, whom I worked with at The Michigan Daily, has put together an interesting survey for his blog, Detroit Hustle. If you’re a Detroit sports fan, you should take it. Why? I’ll let Mike explain:

(Other participating blogs: Bless You Boys, Nightmare on Helm Street, Piston Powered,Pride of Detroit, SideLion Report, Winging it in Motown. If you have a blog and want to take part in the process, there’s still time. Contact me and I’ll add your blog to the list and tell you the details.)

If you want to skip the intro, here’s the survey. It will be open for two weeks.

I’ve been over this before, but the idea to host a Detroit Sports Survey stemmed from the void Claude Lemieux left in my heart. There was no one I, and more importantly Detroit, hated more than Lemieux in the late 90s and early 2000s. Since he faded into oblivion, I’ve longed for the city to rally together and hate one person with so much vigor. The problem: I didn’t know who that person could be. So I got the idea to ask people.

That led to more things I realized wanted to know about Detroit sports and, eventually, the survey was born. Others gracious people on the internet either thought it was a good idea or felt bad for me and agreed to help. I came up with more questions, asked you guys for some more, and ended with a survey that got very specific about each Detroit team and was so long no I didn’t think anybody would finish it. When I realized this thing was actually going to happen, I began to whittle down the questions and decided that in this first attempt, if anything, I would err on the side of simplicity.

What you’re about to take is a simple, 20-question, all-sport, all-encompassing survey. The only requirement is that you are a Detroit sports fan. Use your power. Fill it out now. Let your voice be heard. Stick it to the man. Yes We Can. Flower Power. OK, I’ll stop.

Once you do your part, we (the collective blogs participating) will release the results and all your wondering about who the best players, most overrated and most hated players are will be answered.

But you have to fill it out first. It won’t take long. You’ll make a difference in the world.

If this is successful, I’ll make another run at a better survey in the future. I’ll owe to you, the innovator, who used the survey as your means of changing the world making asignificant small miniscule dent in the internet. This is your time. All you have to do is click the link.

Seriously, just take the survey. It will quench your curiosity and give you the satisfaction of knowing you were a part of starting something AT LEAST 20 times less interesting  and destructive as the Manhattan Project.

• Jul 25, 201210:59 am
    by labatts

I struggles with a couple questions.  I ended up saying Prince Fielder is the most over-rated.  Not because I don’t like him, but because he an error on two legs.  They really need to DH the guy.  But that’s another discussion, I suppose.
    The other one was the detroit player that I disliked the most.  I ended up saying Austin Daye.  Again, I was a bit ambivalent with my answer.  True, I don’t think he is a good player.  And he was also one of the many players that staged a no show for the infamous practice a few years ago.  However, I really did not have to actually see him last year, so he didn’t get my blood boiling that much.  I debated between him and Raola for flipping off the fans.

• Jul 25, 201212:36 pm

Overrated I picked Valverde. There are at least three relievers in that pen that I would trust more in a save situation than Valverde.

The most disliked current player and most disliked opposing player actually worked out well — the Gordon trade allowed me to pick BG for most disliked opponent and CV for most disliked current player. Take that for ruining my favorite team, 2009 offseason.

As for Raiola, he’s a pretty good pick too, but I’m conflicted on the middle finger thing. On the one hand, part of me enjoys seeing football fans get the finger. On the other, it’s Raiola, so that definitely makes it less enjoyable.

• Jul 25, 201211:20 am
    by bryan

I went with Villanueva.   He seems like a nice enough guy, but c’mon, put a little effort into your game. How do you get progressively worse each year?  That’s just plain ridiculous.  I wish I could get paid millions of dollars to coast in my job.  That would be great!

• Jul 25, 201212:28 pm
      by DoctorDaveT

for what category? Overrated? There is no way CV is overrated. He couldn’t be less overrated than he currently is.

• Jul 26, 20128:30 am
        by Bryan

Most disliked, dude.

• Jul 25, 201212:29 pm
    by DoctorDaveT

Most underrated is Austin Jackson. Not only should he have been in the All-Star game, he should have been mentioned as MVP candidate at the end of the first half of the season.
    He’s cooled off now, so that may be moot; but how many players had better first halfs of the season, and were more important to their teams AND were not All-Stars?

• Jul 25, 201212:37 pm

A Jax is a great choice. I went with Monroe, simply because the Pistons have been so irrelevant, I think there’s a good chunk of Detroit sports fans who aren’t aware how good he is and could be yet.

• Jul 25, 201212:44 pm
    by Matt

I know this is a hoops blog, but I still picked Todd Bertuzzi as my least favorite Detroit player. I hated when they signed him, hated when they re-signed him. Admittedly, he’s better than he used to be, but I still loathe him.

I usually go to one Wings game a year and a couple of years ago, Bertuzzi made a couple stupid plays in his first couple of shifts and then, less than five minutes into the game, took a boarding major with a game misconduct.

At least I didn’t have to see his sorry butt out there the rest of the night. It made the game a lot more enjoyable.

Valverde was my most over-rated as well. I was thinking under-rated from a Detroit perspective, not national, so I didn’t pick Jackson, although I probably should have picked him anyways. Not sure how a leadoff hitter who gets on base over 40% of the time, slugs over .500, and plays GG-level defense at a premium position doesn’t get more credit for his team’s success (particularly when they played like poo while he missed close to a month).

• Jul 25, 20123:13 pm
    by XstreamINsanity

Opposing player I dislike the most: LeBron James
    Current Detroit player I dislike the most: Ndamukong Suh (attitude)
    Best player in Detroit: Calvin Johnson (though I debated on choose Pavel Datsyuk)
    Overrated player in Detroit: It was Jacob Turner, but he got traded, so I went with Jose Valverde
    Best Front Office: Red Wings
    Worst Front Office: Lions
    Best Head Coach: Mike Babcock
    Worst Head Coach: Jim Schwartz
    Team to win Championship next: Tigers
    How many years until next Detroit title: 2
    Doesn’t get enough credit: Jimmy Howard
    Biggest Detroit Rival: Chicago

I liked the survey, they should do more.

• Jul 25, 20123:36 pm
      by Steve K

I had much of the same picks as you.

A few folks referenced “underrated” but I didn’t see that on the survey. For overrated, I debated about this and ultimately picked Fielder… though I guess I could’ve gone with the other Prince, the basketball one.

The Detroit sports’ scene doesn’t have too many a-holes, so it was difficult picking someone I disliked the most. Ultimately went with Charlie V for obvious reasons. It was Charlie V or Raburn, but Raburn doesn’t earn $8M/year.

Team to win the next championship was Tigers, mostly because they’re the only team with two sure-fire HOFers. The Lions have CJ, Stafford, and Suh, but they still got some seasoning. Cabrera and Verlander are in their prime.

• Jul 26, 20128:22 am
        by XstreamINsanity

I also had Raburn down and decided to change it for pretty much the same reason, he’s not expensive.  The reason I went with Suh is because anyone who watched that play of him “stomping” the player can tell that he may not have been trying to do that until the player did something, but you don’t retaliate in such a way with cletes on.  And that isn’t even his first incident showing “reckless abandon”.  I love his tenacity in the game, but he sometimes crosses the line, and I’d hate for us to get rid of him because he’s just a bad egg, hopefully he can straighten up.

I agree, the Tigers are the next team to win it and for the same two players you mentioned.  I am ok with the Fielder signing not because I expect him to do much, but because of the protection he gives Cabby, who has been going off lately.

• Jul 26, 20128:31 am
        by Bryan

I wouldn’t say Charlie “earns” 8 Million, either.