The drought is over: Pistons trade Ben Gordon and a protected first round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette’s expiring contract

First thing’s first — the details. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo!:

Detroit has traded Ben Gordon and a protected future first-round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News adds that the pick is lottery protected in 2013, top eight protected in 2014 and top one protected in 2015. It becomes unprotected in 2016.

Secondly, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not that I have anything against Ben Gordon, necessarily. He got paid handsomely in Detroit, that’s not his fault. He underperformed in Detroit, that is his fault, though I will say that he played through a variety of injuries and for a coaching staff his first two years that had no idea what to do with the team’s 19 shooting guards. But Gordon was largely a gentleman in Detroit, didn’t resort to the public complaining that a few other veterans partook in and hopefully he’s able to resurrect his career a bit in Charlotte or wherever he ends up if the Bobcats don’t decide to keep the world’s smallest backcourt.

For the Pistons, I don’t particularly like the thought of dumping a future first round pick just to shed salary (and don’t worry, I’m pretty sure Dan Feldman hates doing that and will be around later to offer his take), but getting Maggette’s expiring deal certainly does offer some potential short term salary relief. This isn’t a particularly good trade for Detroit, but it’s not the worst they’ve done either. I’m just glad that Dumars’ Cal Ripken-esque streak — since July 13, 2009, to be exact — of non-trading is over.

• Jun 26, 20129:43 pm
    by Todd

Gordon was slated to be our most expensive player in the 2013-2014 season and now we have a good bit of room for growth.

Signed into that season are:
    Rodney Stuckey
    Charlie V.
    Greg Monroe
    Brandon Knight
    Austin Daye
    Jonas Jerebko
    Tayshaun Prince
    _______________________

$29 Million in cap space (based on current contract levels) – and what if we amnesty Charlie V. for another $8 Million subtracted?

Sounds like addition by subtraction!

• Jun 26, 201210:10 pm
      by Bugsygod

You said it all! Great trade lot of flexibility going forward!

• Jun 26, 201210:34 pm
      by G

As excited as I am about this trade, I don’t know if you’re right about having 29 million to spend.

Stuckey – 8.5 mil
      Maggettee – 10 mil
      Prince – 6.7 mil
      Charlie V – 8 mil
      Hamilton (owed salaries) – 5.5 mil
      Maxiell – 5 mil (Player Option)
      Jerebko – 4.5 mil
      Bynum – 3.5 mil
      Monroe – 3.2 mil
      Daye – 3 mil
      Knight – 2.8 mil

TOTAL – I believe that puts us right around 60 (I don’t think we include Hamilton’s towards cap?), a little above the salary cap, meaning we actually don’t have any money to spend. Not sure how you got $29 mil to spend, that would be amazing! Hopefully you can show me where I’m wrong.

Best Case Scenario – Trade CV for a pick later, if not just waive. And Maxiell doesn’t take his player option. That saves 13 mil that could be used to get someone, but personally I think it would be better to hold it till next season when Corey’s 10 million and a few other players come off. Suddenly we have 20+ mil to spend on a superstar (SF hopefully) and a support player to our already talented core of Monroe, Knight, Stuckey, and (Henson or Leonard?).

But all in all, great trade Joe D! Fixing some past mistakes haha. Lookin bright in Detroit future and if he plays his cards right next offseason as well the Pistons will be in the contender level for the next several seasons.

• Jun 26, 201210:39 pm
        by Pistons Fan

Really insightful!! Haha I remember the last time JD made moves to get 20 million to spend. It was the time he traded Chauncey for AI. I was supportive of the move because I thought he’d save to 20 mil for a season to spend on lebron and d wade and amare and bosh and all those guys. Instead he used it immediately on Gordon and CV, mistakes that we’re paying for today. He better not spend this cap room he’s creating on mediocre players again! We’ll be paying for it 3 years down the road just like we did with Gordon and CV.

• Jun 26, 20129:49 pm
    by J in FLA

I dig the trade.  IMO, it is unlikely that the pick will be a high one, especially considering our lottery luck.  Also, keep in mind, we are acquiring an additional player(hopefully) with all the cap space we are saving, so the final trade is not yet known.

• Jun 26, 20129:56 pm
    by Chris

I think it is a good move- but still a few questions.

Now we have 2 starting SF’s + a couple of other guys who will ask for time there- JJ, Daye (who cares?), and hopefully Kyle Singler. Maybe we keep both for the season and see a lot of small ball? Maybe there ia another trade either before the season starts or at some stage during the season? Either way I dont mind. I doubt we will have both guys at the beginning of the 2013-14 season.

There is a spot for a 3rd guard now. Will we get an extra guard maybe in the 2nd round? BG was not consistent- but did provide offense for us at different points throughout last season. We cant replace him by just giving Will Bynum a promotion. I would like to see someone like Machado?

Re the draft pick- I dont think it will matter too much. I doubt we make the 2013 playoffs and will probably keep a pick in the late lottery. In 2014 we probably give up a mid first round pick. I think the growth and progression that this trade may facilitate is worth that pick.

I am not immersed in the salary cap situation. I dont really care to be either- but if we now amnesty CV would we have cap room? Perhaps that would allow us to obtain a FA or move Magette’s expiring contract for a contributing player that can fit?

Joe D has shown patience in the past and now it is clear he still has a clue. Important step forward. Best of luck to BG in Charlotte.

• Jun 26, 201211:33 pm

I don’t think Maggette is a starter at this point in his career. Dude is really injury prone and shot the ball terribly last season (37 percent).

Best case for the Pistons, he’s motivated in a contract year and gives some bench scoring. I’m not sure how much he has left though … his style of play in his career has been really physical (absorbed a lot of contact) and it has taken a toll on him. Plus, he’s a ball-stopper and doesn’t play much defense. I don’t expect him to play a very large role.

• Jun 26, 20129:57 pm
    by Shane

That was such a pointless trade.. It’s not like we are going to be able to sign anyone that is big. No one big will come to Detroit right now

• Jun 26, 201211:18 pm
      by Jamie

Have to hope Monroe becomes a All Star caliber center which will help if we can get someone through the draft that can play D and block shots (Henson). BK7 showed that he can play plus with Stuckey finally getting it somewhat together, you have a decent young core, you add a solid/great player at the 3 through FA and you I think that’s a pretty solid playoff team. We need a winner in Detroit but you have to think long term, no team is getting past the Heat, build a competitive team and wait for te Big 3 to get old.

• Jun 26, 20129:57 pm
    by C.J

i love this trade. corey maggette isn’t much of a piston personality but he has some talent left. i like him on a one year deal. i hate losing 1st round picks but to get rid of gordon and get a solid player back, totally worth it.

• Jun 26, 201211:38 pm
      by Butterscotch

Well said.

• Jun 26, 201211:39 pm

Maggette isn’t an upgrade over Gordon on the court at all. Gordon was overpaid, but his shooting was actually a pretty needed commodity for Detroit.

They have no one who you could consider an elite 3-point shooter right now. Knight shot the ball well from 3 last season, but wasn’t really known as a great shooter in HS or college, so I don’t think we can bank on him in the 37ish percent range again. Hope I’m wrong, but I think we have to see it again before we can call him a great 3-point shooter.

And that’s really it … who knows what Villanueva’s status is. Prince is functional from three if he’s open, but not a threat. They desperately need someone who can stretch the floor and create driving lanes. Like I said, Gordon was overpaid, but you did have to account for him at the 3-point line. Maggette had an awful season shooting the ball last year.

• Jun 27, 201212:06 am
        by Mike Payne

I’d prefer Maggette on court over Gordon, and for a reason that isn’t obvious at first glance.  Even with his poor 2-point shooting last season (which I believe is a an outlier), Maggette still finished with a 52% TS% (and has 58% over his career).  Why?

Over the last ten NBA seasons, only two forwards have had better single season free throw shooting rates (per minute FTA’s) than Corey Maggette.  LeBron James and Kevin Durant.  In the top ten, Maggette is listed 6 times.

• Jun 26, 20129:59 pm
    by Jeremy

Big fan of this move – have been waiting around all night for the story to hit here so I can comment on it. Not only does it get rid of a massive deal but it fills a hole at the SF position. Maggette is obviously coming off the pine and, at least to me, it indicates that Daye’s days as a Piston may be limited as well.
    I’m not overly concerned with the inclusion of the draft pick. This team really isn’t that far off from making the playoffs and an organization can only have so many lottery appearances before they improve. If an organization can’t hit on that number of lottery picks, the entire basketball operation and scouting staffs need to be trashed.
    If only Charlie V could be traded next… Not saying the chances of that are great, but I believe it is possible.

• Jun 26, 201210:13 pm
      by Bugsygod

Also maybe a trade of Daye an one of the 2nd rounders we can get another 1st round pick this year. Houston just traded budinger for a 1st rounder!

• Jun 26, 201210:43 pm
        by G

Good call! Didn’t think of that. We could even use Daye (or CV if anyone is so inclined, who knows we did happen to get rid of BG today!) with our 9th pick to move up.

• Jun 26, 201210:43 pm
        by JustPugh

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!

• Jun 26, 201211:34 pm

Budinger has a lot more value than Daye. He’s actually been productive in his career off the bench, unlike Daye. Even Daye and a second rounder probably wouldn’t bring back a late first. I’d be very surprised.

• Jun 27, 201212:14 am
          by Bugsygod

How bout Jerebko for 13th pick? Daye plus 2second rounders? One this year an one next year? What the Budinger trade showed was that a marginal rotation player can get you a 1st rd pick.

• Jun 26, 201210:03 pm
    by Herm

Straight cash grab for gores. Saves the money on Gordon and on the pick.

• Jun 26, 201210:14 pm
    by Bugsygod

Joe D is Back!

• Jun 26, 201210:19 pm
    by MarkS

Don’t forget the pick we gave up is lotto protected 2013, top 8 protected 2014, #1 pick protected 2015 and unprotected in yr 6.

• Jun 26, 201210:30 pm
    by Jack

nah that concept is too complicated for thee dum azzes to understand

• Jun 26, 201210:34 pm
    by labatts

Ah, yes.  This is where we all applaud Dumars for fixing (half of) a former mistake by giving away draft picks.  Gosh, what a great GM.

• Jun 26, 201211:41 pm

Haha … hopefully my post didn’t come off like I was congratulating him for making a great deal.

It’s not a very good deal considering A. he’s giving up a future asset just to shed salary now and B. he’s the one who signed Gordon to a ridic contract in the first place. But I think everyone is excited because at the very least it’s an actual trade that can be talked about for the first time in three years, even if it isn’t a very good one.

• Jun 27, 20122:03 am
        by BIG MARV

Exactly pat its not a great move but it do shows that Joe D has some power back and the handcuffs are off now and I think he made a smart move today by duping a part if a wack azz load off by getting rid of BG next is CV and you shedded some nice money off, you can tell they wanted to do this along time ago Good job Joe D now you earned to wear your GM cap again

• Jun 27, 20127:37 am
        by labatts

No, you didn’t sound congratulatory. =).  Most of your readers do, lol.  At any rate, so much for Dumar’s not making trades “simply to make a trade”.

Honest to god,  the cap space is coming one year earlier than it would have otherwise (ONE YEAR!).  Lets not forget that he just resigned Prince, so how is THAT saving cap space?

• Jun 26, 201210:35 pm
    by Mitch

obviously VERY EARLY, but….
    Pistons will have a ton of cap next summer especially if we amenesty that overpaid bench warmer, and who are the top 3 free agents next summer?
    CP3, Dwight, and Josh Smith

something to look forward to folks, just saying.

• Jun 26, 201210:36 pm
    by Travis

So we basically have to win the lottery or make the playoffs by 2015

• Jun 26, 201210:40 pm
    by Bugsygod

Next year maggete, rip,Bynum, max contracts come of the books thats 23 mil. Amnesty CV an that’s another 8mil!

• Jun 26, 201210:44 pm
    by Victor

So, we make the playoffs and next year draft class is not that deep. I guess that’s what would make giving away this pick a good move. BG so-called unmovable contract is gone and we’ve got an expiring one in return. Basically it’s on Lawrence Frank’s hands to make the team play well enough to be playoff-worthy and make this deal sound like a win.

• Jun 26, 201211:43 pm

No contract is unmovable if you give up a first round pick just for a team to take it.

I don’t necessarily hate the trade, but why are people acting like Dumars fleeced Charlotte or something? Rich Cho has turned Stephen Jackson (who was traded to MIL for Maggette and a first) into Ben Gordon and two extra first round draft picks essentially. Who is fleecing who here?

• Jun 27, 201212:47 am
        by Bugsygod

If the Bobcats just paid 14 mil for a middle of 1st rd pick next year they got fleeced!

• Jun 28, 201210:27 am
          by apa8ren9

@Bugsygod -  I love this statement.  Made my day!

• Jun 27, 20128:42 am
        by Victor

Making the Playoffs is a huge IF. Cho made an outstanding job and for Cats this is already amazing. What I’m saying is that right now, this trade is loss to he Pistons (as Feldman points out). If we make the playoffs, this trade may sound like a win. And it surely would be win-win situation between Cats and Pistons – see Hollinger’s take.

• Jun 26, 201210:48 pm
    by ray

week draft next year…dont think we losing much especially as we fill the team this year….

• Jun 26, 201211:15 pm

Not a huge fan of this deal unless more are coming. I guess if Detroit amnesties CV, there will be decent cap room next season. But Dumars probably just gave up a pick in the teens–which has significant value.

If there is also a Prince trade in the works, though, suddenly this looks a lot better. Trade options like this are part of why Prince’s extension was so incredibly awful. He is killing the team’s flexibility without adding squat. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to forgive Dumars for not taking the Butler+1st rounder for Prince deal. Not because not taking that was his worst move ever, but because it was such an obviously good deal. It was like if Joe had passed on Monroe when he fell past the Warriors.

• Jun 26, 201211:45 pm

Yeah, that’s why I’m withholding judgement at the moment. If this deal was just done by itself, then I’m not a fan. But if it’s in conjunction with another move or two, I would quickly like it a lot better. By itself, it’s just a salary dump that requires a pretty significant future asset to save some money. I get why they would want to save money, but by itself, it has no real immediate impact on the team. It actually makes them worse, considering Gordon was their only elite 3-point shooter.

• Jun 27, 20129:11 am
      by gmehl

@tarsier I feel the same way about Dumars with that Butler/1st rounder offer. With that extra pick we could’ve been trying to trade up to get either Robinson or MKG with them or even of been bad enough to get the first pick and drafted Davis with still the late 1st rounder to go with it and still have the money we extended Prince with. I will reserve judgement on the Ben Gordon trade because i feel there is more moves to come which will hopefully shed more light on it. You would assume CV will either be traded/amnestied and Prince is also being shopped.

• Jun 26, 201211:17 pm
    by Lorenzo

I agree with the consensus: Excellent trade!Get rid of a bad contract for an expiring one—saving the team a lot of money in the long run as well as providing a lot of cap space (as people have mentioned). Hell, even if they don’t use the cap space the contract is a great trading chip. Not to mention Maggette ,a solid veteran who can slash and defend fairly well, won’t simply be dead weight on the roster. Yes, we gave up a first, but it’s lottery (2013) and top 8 (2014) protected–we give away a pick that traditionally in most drafts isn’t of high impact (2013). Certainly in reference to the terms after 2013– I think Joe D and the management are banking that this team will be in the playoffs in the next 2-3years. Gives the team a lot of flexibility, again solid move.

• Jun 26, 201211:53 pm

I think you’re overstating the ‘consensus.’

Pistons fans are happy that any trade was made I guess, just to prove that Joe Dumars still knows how to make them. But unless more is coming, this move isn’t a good one. It’s a salary dump with the price of a first round pick just to do it. That is not a win for Detroit unless it is followed by one or more other moves.

• Jun 27, 20121:04 am
        by Lorenzo

Well the initial consensus on here…certainly didn’t mean the world over (or the Twitter-verse). I still think the 1st round pick is a bit overstated…this isn’t an NFL 1st rounder….though there are extenuating circumstances we are likely talking about giving up a rotation player at best (if it ends up being 15 and lower that is….if it ends up being a top 10, certainly my opinion would change.) Certainly the move is only a half way mark…what Joe does with it is yet to be seen and might very well determine the overall success of the transaction. I’m hardly an advocate for a deal being made for the sake of making a deal— but that being said at this juncture I like the options it opens up for Joe and the team. Taking a poor decision/contract that had you cornered and flipping that into flexibility/options deserves kudos in my humble opinion–though surely an opinion that will not be well received universally. So far… not bad. What becomes of this? Lets wait and see.

• Jun 26, 201211:27 pm
    by ray

everyone is tripping about the this pick…..We arent really losing anything…..next year draft is weak….all of the best freshman and sophomore are in this draft….other than macdoo and zeller

• Jun 26, 201211:47 pm

Well, if they make the playoffs next year, this trade will probably look fine in the long run. But what happens if they miss the playoffs? Then miss them again the following year? Charlotte might end up with a lottery pick.

Like I said, if they make the playoffs and Charlotte gets a mid or later first round pick next season, it’s not a huge deal. But if they don’t make the playoffs immediately, this trade has the potential to end up looking worse down the road.

• Jun 27, 201212:45 am
        by Bugsygod

If they miss the playoffs the next two years Joe D won’t be there anymore. That is one of the reasons I like the trade.
        - We get alot of cap space next year + the amnesty CV option for more space
        - teams will be looking to dump salary with double tax penalties starting in ’14, so example. we can send a 2nd rd pick to Grizzlies for Rudy Gay to save them double tax. he would just slide into that cap space (just example I’m sure Memphis can get better deal than this)
        - IF (big if) Maggete plays well maybe we can get a 1st rd pick from contender lookin to rent a wing bench scorer(Bulls? Lakers? Clippers? Heat?)
        - Again what Budinger trade shows it’s not too hard to get 1st rd pick. Next year if Singler plays well maybe we use him. So I think that pick can be recovered.
        - We do lose very important 3pt shooting from BG, But lots of good shooters available in second. English, D Lamb, K Murphy. Not saying these guys can come out an shoot like BG, but good to add young hungry players.
        - if we DONT make playoffs we stil get Another lottery pick, if we DO make playoffs more players will want to come hear as FA an we have the money (just make sure to spend on the right guys). An Joe has chosen FA’s well before(Billups,mcydess,Big Ben) BUT TOTALLY fouled up with BG,CV.
        - and finally DID BOBCATS JUST SPEND 14 mil for the 16th pick in the ’13 draft. WOW!

• Jun 26, 201211:34 pm
    by Eric

the lotto protection of the pick is weak as hell! just to shed one year of salary??????

• Jun 27, 201212:00 am
    by Haan

Under other circumstances, it might have been a good trade, say if a new GM were coming in to clean up the old regime’s mess (instead of Joe D. trying to clean up his own mess).  Or if you were simply stuck with Gordon’s contract (instead of amnesty being created to address precisely this kind of situation).  Or if the 1st given up clearly had little value, like the one Dallas offered us for Prince (instead of it bringing back memories of how we got in a spot to draft Darko).  Or if Gordon were a clubhouse cancer and a worthless player (instead of being gracious in difficult circumstances and possessing an extremely valuable skill).  Or if the franchise were in a location which routinely solicited an irrational, record-independent, interest from free agents (instead of being Detroit).  Or if the franchise had a history of savvy management of the cap situation (instead of just the reverse).  Ugh.  It all could turn out fine, but there’s cause for pessimism.

• Jun 27, 20121:58 am
      by Worm

Hammer, meet Nail. Exactly my sentiments. The problem with trading a future 1st is that, obviously, you don’t know what happens in the future. I can count at least half a dozen times where a team got hosed by trading away a future 1st. No great free agents are walking through the door next year, so this deal isn’t likely to be a franchise saver in the future. Although we are probably a worse team than we were with BG (since its my personal opinion that Maggette is little more than hot garbage), so maybe we can learn how to tank and get a top 5 pick next year. Rudy Gobert anyone? To me, the deal has minimal upside and potentially considerable downside.

• Jun 27, 201212:01 am
    by Ryan M

Mags is in the last year of his contract so he can be spun off at the trade deadline if needed.  We can also trade Prince if the right deal comes along and/or package either one of them with Daye, Bynum, Max if he doesn’t opt out, Macklin, Singler, etc in other possible deals.  I think this is a good trade, not great but we all knew the Stones weren’t going to get back something great for Gordon. This is one of those moves that taken on it’s own is underwhelming could lead to something better down the road. This gives the Pistons better options than they had before today and that is all you can ask for with Gordon’s contract.

• Jun 27, 201212:11 am
    by jacob

If Dumars gets lucky and makes a good pick this year and we make or or get closer to the playoffs. That will be a mid to late first round pick. How many teams win championships with those picks? Im guessing not a lot. We need to build this team around monroe and knight with other good players. Amnesty CV and we can sign a good free agent next year. And we can still trade magette at the deadline maybe get a 1st rounder back or a really solid player that another team doesnt want. it happens a lot and then we will be looking like a top 4 team in the east again. The east isnt that strong. Only Miami and wade is getting a little older.

• Jun 27, 20121:11 am
    by ryan

First the questions.
    1 Can we trade Corey Maggette? If so when?

2 Are there more trades coming? Can we turn Austin Daye and a second round pick into a first round pick? Can we dump Jason Maxiell and Charlie Villanueva?

With those questions still to be answered I am happy that we traded Ben Gordon. He’s probably my least favorite NBA player ever and horribly overrated (even now) so I’m very, very happy that he’s gone. If we could’ve done this without giving up that pick I’d be jumping up and down for joy.

But the pick is a killer. I’ve come to believe more and more that we need to build through the draft. Not through lottery picks but through adding value every year. We’re not going to attract premier free agents the way some markets will so we need to really focus on good scouting and player development.

I hope that there are more moves to come and that we can pick up at least one more first rounder this year because there is talent in this draft. Also this has me wondering if we’re not going to draft Jeremy Lamb at number nine. He’s clearly a very talented player and now fits a need too.

• Jun 27, 20121:20 am
    by Colin

I’d rate it a good trade, didn’t give up the pick for nothing if it was needed to make the deal. I wasn’t pushing for a Gordon trade at all, he was productive for us just not up to his contract value. My issue is how friendly the protections on the pick are to the Bobcats. Love the flexibility the trade affords Joe, he could really do a lot with it this year or next year with the cap space. Something like this was a smart move.

• Jun 27, 20123:51 am
    by Gregoire

Why do you think the Protection is to friendly? The Pistons have the Assets to be a Playoff Team this Year in the East, and then this pick might end up in the 15-20 Range in 2013 ( a rather weak Draft). If they think longterm and Draft a Big this year who needs time to develop (Drummond/Leonard) they might miss the Playoffs this year and have their own Pick in 2013 in the 10-14 Range. In 2014 when the Pick is only Top8 Protected Drummond/Leonard would have one year of Experience and could help the Team at least a litte + the 2013 First Rounder and theres no way the Pistons miss the Playoffs, with Boston, Orlando and other East Teams getting older, rebuilding etc…