Recapping the 2012 NBA Draft for the Detroit Pistons

First of all, I just want to thank everyone who stopped by and read and commented tonight. Great and entertaining discussion in the comments all night. Here are some links to what we’ve posted so far:

Here are a few links to some coverage elsewhere that’s already up:

Dan Feldman is at the draft in New York Newark tonight, probably annoying PR people by requesting interviews. Not sure exactly what he’s planning to write, but we’ll definitely have a lot more content over the next few days. Draft Night is my favorite NBA event of the year, thanks for making it a lot of fun with all of your participation.

• Jun 29, 201212:02 am

Some notable undrafted players:

• Scott Machado (Hope Dumars is on the phone with him as a rookie FA right now)
    • Drew Gordon
    • Henry Sims
    • Kevin Jones
    • JaMychal Green

Any of those guys would be nice pickups for summer league and/or training camp.

• Jun 29, 201212:04 am
    by Travis

wasn’t the draft in newark, new jersey?

• Jun 29, 201212:06 am
    by Travis

also, when i click on kim english, it goes to khris middleton’s page.

• Jun 29, 201212:26 am
    by Reaction

I hope they sign Machado.. He would be a solid back up pg and definitely an upgrade to bynum

• Jun 29, 201212:40 am
    by neutes

Not entirely sure how you’re so excited to pick a player that has as much of a chance of not panning out as panning out, but score one for optimism. I definitely like some things about Drummond, but I can’t jump for joy just yet. I wonder how they’ll treat him. Will they throw him to the wolves like Knight? Will they keep Monroe at center and let him earn it? I’d like to see the guy take his lumps just to see what he has. He’s really young. He didn’t play very good at UConn, but damn, he’s really young.

As for these undrafted guys…the Pistons don’t even have room for the guys they drafted do they? Whoever they invite to camp would have to beat out Singler, Macklin, Middleton, or English, or maybe even two of those guys depending on what Wallace does.

• Jun 29, 20121:28 am
      by Reaction

It would be nice to get someone like Laimbeer (who worked with Howard) to work with him

• Jun 29, 20128:33 am
        by Jeremy

I was running through potential big man coaches in my mind as well. First thought, of course, was Big Ben but I would much rather have him occupy a roster spot and teach than just teach. Then I was thinking maybe they could kick it old school and bring Lainer in a la the Lakers and Kareem teaching Bynum the post. I honestly didn’t even think about Laimbeer.

While this may be sort of a dream scenario, wouldn’t it be pretty bad ass to have him spend a few weeks with each of the really good defending big men this organization has seen and allow him to pick their brains. Just think of the basketball wisdom that guys like Rodman, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Ben, hell even Sheed could impart on him.

• Jun 29, 20128:45 am

I love Dennis Rodman. But I’m not letting an impressionable 19-year-old anywhere near him.

• Jun 29, 20129:52 am
          by Tom Y.

Working with too many coaches can be confusing, even a guy like Monroe who’s great at learning probably couldn’t absorb so much knowledge from different people. I think he’ll be fine with Roy Rogers and Monroe’s mentorship, hopefully some help from Big Ben as well. Define his role and be patient and he’ll do fine.

• Jun 29, 20128:54 am

He’s not a big name, but technically, a big part of Roy Rogers’ role with the Pistons is working with the big men. His results with Monroe and Maxiell last year seemed to be pretty good, so hopefully he’s a good influence on Drummond.

• Jun 29, 201212:42 am
    by Tom Y.

Extremely happy with the Drummond pick. Also very happy that the Pistons are talking about nurturing him, bringing him along slowly and having him focus on defense first (all from their website). I think it will work out very well, and if it does, we’re definitely on our way back.
    Not so sure about the 2nd rounders, English is fine, I dunno about Middleton. I’m a little disappointed we couldn’t get a shot at Jae Crowder or Draymond Green, my two favorites. Still, getting Drummond makes it a very good draft.

• Jun 29, 201212:52 am
    by MrCarter

Drummond = A++++++
    Middleton = C+
    English = A-
    Overall = A-
    (I downgrade Middleton only because we now have Drummond, Daye, Maxiell, Prince, Villanueva(unless he’s amnestied), Macklin, Jerebko, and now Middleton at our forwards spots)

• Jun 29, 20127:52 am
      by andyf

Dont forget Magette and possibly Singler.  We need a center who can play spot minutes at the point.  Geez.

• Jun 29, 20121:04 am
    by Nick

I think it was a great night to be a Piston fan. I know Drummond is high risk, but for the first time in a while I have some legit hope for the team. It feels like we’re getting a good, young core and establishing a good culture behind Frank and some of the young leaders.

Also, thank you guys so much for such extensive coverage (not just for tonight). I read the blog every day and your coverage is outstanding and fun. Thanks again. Can’t wait to keep reading!

• Jun 29, 20124:04 am
    by Max

HEY NOW!  Bang the Drum, Bang the gong!  Please, let Big Ben come back, but either way, DRUMMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Three years in a row of the Pistons not tanking and having the player they want fall in their lap anyway.   Awesome!  What’s the ceiling on how tall he’ll one day be anyway?  He really should be entering college in the fall as a freshman and he’s close to 6-11 already.
    I shouted in my place of work when Toronto didn’t draft Drummond and I shouted again when they did.  In one stroke the Pistons went from a team that could only play small to one that can play big.  Drummond, Monroe, Stuckey are big players–if Monroe is at the four and Knight has good size with long arms.  Prince has shot those long arms too and shot blocking ability and Jerebko can play as a large three.  English goes with theme too.  The Pistons are big again!  I’m even wondering if the Pistons even ever had as large a four and five combo as the Pistons will boast if and when Monroe and Drummond start together at Drummond’s current size.

• Jun 29, 20127:07 am
      by Vince

I know, just realised Drummond is 280 pounds, hot damn what did they feed him in UConn?

• Jun 29, 20125:23 am
    by Vince

I was in a meeting when the draft began and when I checked the table I saw the giant joke that is the Raptors’ front office give us a nice present in Drummond, I couldn’t pick up my jaw from the ground, absolutely awesome, Drummond in a Pistons uniform!!! Then I followed the second round thoroughly expecting to see O’Quinn/Gordon/Machado pop up on my screen only to be unpleasantly surprised by Middleton, lucky English redeemed that pick… I would much rather have O’Quinn/Gordon/Machado instead of Middleton – sorry buddy.

Seeing how both Gordon and Machado weren’t drafted I think a summer league invite and a non-guaranteed contract shouldn’t be too much to ask for.

• Jun 29, 20125:39 am
    by Vince

Oh and fun fact of the day Middleton weighs as much as Henson. Thats just hilarious.

• Jun 29, 20129:42 am
    by Jinzzy

I hope the pistons go for Drew  Gordon or Xavier Gibson

• Jun 29, 20129:52 am
    by Wall-e

Great job, Dan & Patrick. You two put in a lot of hard work, even when there is not a lot of news to work with. Even among TrueHoop network blogs, you two are top of the class. Tom Gore needs to cut you guys a paycheck!

• I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i am glad to show that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I such a lot surely will make sure to don?t overlook this web site and give it a look regularly.