Detroit Pistons select Kim English with 44th pick in 2012 NBA Draft

OK … as I said in my last post, I profiled 51 prospects in this year’s Draft Dreams series. I was sure, sure that whoever the Pistons take would be among that 51. Unfortunately, because I didn’t see the Ben Gordon trade coming, I didn’t look at many second round shooting guards, so I have no English profile. Damn you, Dumars, and your unpredictable ways. But make no mistake, Kim English will be a very good addition. Loved this quote on ESPN’s draft coverage from Fran Fraschilla:

“He slept in the locker room so he could get up as many shots as possible.”

English is a big guard, something the Pistons need. He also played power forward in Missouri’s wonky offense, so he’s used to battling bigger, stronger players. He’s a phenomenal shooter — 52 percent from the field and 46 percent from three. Chad Ford had him rated as the 38th best prospect, so the Pistons getting him at 44 slightly makes up for reaching for Khris Middleton at 39.

English averaged 14.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game. As far as weaknesses, he doesn’t create for himself off the dribble well. So think of him as Gordon for like eight percent of the cost. He’ll be a floor-stretching spot-up shooter. And he’ll be the Pistons official poet laureate:

• Jun 28, 201211:41 pm
    by Daye and Knight

I like this pick

• Jun 28, 201211:44 pm
    by Moe

who the heck….

• Jun 29, 201210:35 am
      by RL Ray

Who the heck?  This guy was key on one of the best and most balanced teams in the nation last year.  If you don’t know his name, you don’t know college basketball.

• Jun 28, 201211:45 pm
    by Moe

stats on him? i know he can shoot what else?

• Jun 28, 201211:50 pm

My fault, 14.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game. Added them to the post now.

• Jun 29, 201212:20 am
    by Reaction

I hope we sign Machado as a back up pg… guy has sick vision

• Jun 29, 20121:06 am
    by rick

What are the chances we get to pick a player such as Machado? How do they determine who gets the opportunity to choose who when it comes to signing rookie free agents? Do the teams have to wait til Sunday when Free Agency begins?

• Jun 29, 20128:57 am

Rookie free agents are the same as any FA — they can go to any team that gives the best offer.

The problem for the Pistons is, counting Singler, assuming both English and Middleton make the roster as well, they would be carrying four rookies next season, so the prospects of a guy like Machado making the roster are slim. If he has a good agent, he’ll get him to a team where Machado would have a better shot at making the team with a strong summer league and camp.

• Jun 29, 20122:46 am
    by Rob

I must respectfully disagree with English not “creating for himself off the dribble well.” While he doesn’t often look to create those opportunities, he has proven in the past, and most notably the Big 12 tournament, the ability to drive it to the basket and finish. He plays how his team needs him to play, wether that means stretching the floor or playing at the 4. Also not in a lot of the scouting reports is the fact English has a pro level midrange fade away. So if he’s being guarded by a bigger player he can get reliable looks.

• Jun 29, 20128:59 am

Well, he can do it, he just played in a weird offense at Mizzou, so it’s hard to say how some of his skills will translate. I’m guessing the Pistons didn’t draft him to have him be an off the dribble scorer. They need a spot up shooter who can create space on the floor for Stuckey/Knight/Monroe. If English is a contributor next year, that’s what will get him on the floor.

• Jun 29, 201211:59 am
        by Rob

That’s true, but if there were a fastbreak opportunity with a one on two situation he’s capable of finishing. Just trying to clear up some of the issues draft analysts always seem to leave out, not neccesarily singling you out, only talking about people like Jay Bilas lol.

• Jun 29, 20122:49 am
    by Rob

playing at 4 on defense I meant lol

• Jun 29, 201212:23 pm
    by Chad

Kimmie English is an outstanding athlete who can finish with the best of the shooting guards  in the draft. He proved he could be a go to scorer his sophomore year at Mizzou before Marcus Denmon emerged the year after with him in the back court. He’s experienced, polished, and ready to play right away because of his college pedigree and basketball IQ. Did I forget to mention he can guard 3 positions!
    As a high school teammate of his at Randallstown High School (Baltimore, MD) I’ve watched him develop his game every year and he is one of the hardest workers I know. His weakness may be in the range of Harrison Barnes, where you see so much athletic potential but it’s not often displayed. Don’t think for a minute he won’t posterize someone, HE’S A FREAKISH ATHLETE WITH SLEEPER HOPS.
    As you all know his role with Detroit will be spacing and creating room for Greg Monroe on the weak side. He has the potential to be a rich man’s James Jones and or a Stephen Jackson in his prime during his first championship run with the Spurs.
    English will be a great glue guy, awesome teammate and someone to come and light some fire in the Detroit Piston. Hard nosed kid from the tough city of Baltimore. He’s battle tested and a winner. State championships at Randallstown High School, also prep career, and stellar college career with Missouri will lead to a long successful career for this spot up shorter.

Enjoy Detroit,
    Chad Arrington

• Jul 1, 201211:29 am
    by Tyrone

I like this guy a lot.  I feel that he can end up being the sleeper pick in this years draft.  This guy has the right attitude, knowledge of the teams history, and proven skill set that our team is in need of.

If this guy puts in the hard work, I think he will be rewarded with playing time and a solid NBA career.  I looking forward to the summer league starting up and seeing English, Macklin, Drummond, Slinger and Knight hitting the hard wood…