Detroit Pistons select Khris Middleton with 39th pick in 2012 NBA Draft

After things went remarkably well for the Pistons in round one, they seemed to be shaping up nicely before their second pick as well. Perry Jones III, Arnett Moultrie and Draymond Green were inexplicably falling, Jae Crowder was still around three picks into the second round. It looked like a first round talent might fall But then the Pistons couldn’t get quite as lucky. The Heat grabbed Moultrie (later trading him to Philadelphia) and Sam Presti quickly jumped on Jones III late in the first round, Cleveland (for Dallas because of a pending trade) grabbed Jae Crowder and the Warriors took Draymond Green. But instead of grabbing Kyle O’Quinn or Scott Machado or another favorite, the Pistons went with Khris Middleton.

Middleton, a 6-foot-7, 210-pound wing player, struggled with injuries as a junior after a strong sophomore year, but Chad Ford had him ranked as the 48th best prospect in this draft. But here’s what Ford said about him last year:

“A year ago, Middleton would’ve been a potential first-round prospect,” Ford said. “Injuries have set him back a bit, but he’s actually been working out well over the past month.”

I didn’t do a Draft Dreams on Middleton because, frankly, with him projected as a late second-to-undrafted wing, I didn’t think there was any chance the Pistons took him. But I’m not a draft expert for a reason, folks. Leave it to Joe Dumars to pick someone I haven’t profiled even when I wrote 51 profiles of draft prospects this spring/summer. Middleton isn’t a great perimeter shooter, but his strength is his mid-range game.

I don’t love this pick. Middleton is certainly a player who could be a sleeper. As I said, his sub-par season a year ago was largely due to injuries, plus a really unstable coaching and roster situation at Texas A&M. But the Pistons need depth in the backcourt and depth in the frontcourt, so I’m not sure how adding another wing to the mix with Tayshaun Prince, Corey Maggette, Austin Daye, Kyle Singler and Jonas Jerebko all capable of playing small forward minutes, but perhaps there is another move on the way? Like I said, I’m not a fan of this pick with Lamb and O’Quinn still on the board. Anyway, have at this one in the comments.

• Jun 28, 201211:13 pm
    by labatts

Obviously, you should have done 52 profiles.  Did you just suggest that Daye can play the 3 spot?

• Jun 28, 201211:14 pm
    by Daye and Knight

Who????

• Jun 28, 201211:14 pm
    by rick

Wow is all I have to say about our last two picks. Why did he choose Middleton over O’Qinn and English over Machado? No more wings and English was good in college but as fas as getting him here I dont understand.

• Jun 28, 201211:27 pm

I’m more OK with the English pick than the Middleton one. I preferred Machado to English, but English’s perimeter shooting fills a need since the Pistons are pretty weak as a team from three now without Gordon.

• Jun 28, 201211:14 pm
    by labatts

Oh, and by the way: Thanks for staying up with us Patrick!

• Jun 28, 201211:16 pm
    by Daye and Knight

Well..at least we got English with the next pick…we needed a 3 point specialist after we shipped Gordon out

• Jun 28, 201211:21 pm
    by ryan

We got lucky in the first round and stupid in the second. Not a great night to be a Pistons fan.

• Jun 28, 201211:29 pm

The second round definitely killed the mood a bit, didn’t it?

• Jun 28, 201211:54 pm
        by CNA5

A little bit of a mood killer- especially Middleton.  In the grand scheme of things, it’s difficult for any second round pick to make a team and have any sort of impact.

Living in Big 12 country, I can say that Middleton does one thing well (at least on the college level).  He definitely is pretty darn good at creating his own shot.

Still not sure why they didn’t like Machado or an athletic big project at this pick.

• Jun 28, 201211:23 pm
    by Marcus

We could have had Lamb.  Take those kentucky stars and put them on separate teams, they are all stars.

• Jun 28, 201211:29 pm

Yeah, I feel like Middleton over Lamb is going to be the pick that comes back to haunt them. Hell, Middleton over Lamb, O’Quinn, Machado, and even over Tyshawn Taylor are mistakes, IMO.

• Jun 28, 201211:37 pm
    by C.J

good night if you ask me. drummond pick was good, my favorite scenario for the pistons, realistic anyway. middleton was a whatever pick for me. i’d defintely prefer machado or lamb but allwell its a 2rd pick. i really like the kim english pick though. good shooter/bench spark plug. sounds good.

• Jun 28, 201211:38 pm
    by Kiplinger

We know Kim English very well and you guys are going to be very happy with him.  Hardest worker, great talent, smart as a whip, and an amazing personality to boot.  Have fun, we are new Pistons fans now!

• Jun 28, 201211:44 pm
    by tim

as a former prof at tamu (up until this spring), I can tell you that he is an excellent and smart player.  He may have some weaknesses, but he is definitely an nba level (or at least borderline) talent.  Dude had to do way too much for the tamu squads these last couple of seasons (this last season was killer with the coaches health issues) and, despite the constant turnover in staff, he was a leader and a solid player.  I like this pick.  I dont love it, but there are no bigs I see still on the board that are making me wish I took them.

• Jun 28, 201211:57 pm

I’m not so much down on him as a prospect, just as a fit with Detroit. He’s not a great perimeter shooter, something they desperately need, and he plays a position that is pretty deep, albeit deep with a slew of flawed players.

My issue is more with who was still available than with Middleton in particular.

• Jun 29, 201212:34 am
        by tim

no doubt that the fit seems poor as he is a sf and not a tweener either way.  Not a strong outside shooter, but a good decision maker and decent all around offensive game.  I think this pick means daye is pretty much done.  or maybe they have a trade for tay lined up?  Definitely not a position of need.  Oquinn is intriguing, but I think he wont pan out.   Not familiar enough with the remaining bigs to really give an opinion.  All I am saying is that he will be fun (and possibly a team leader) on summer league.   Cant wait.

• Jun 28, 201211:49 pm
    by tim

also, hes better than either of the baylor quincys taken in front of him (and I really like miller, who does have a higher upside).

• Jun 28, 201211:54 pm
    by Vic

Happy w Kim, not sure about Khris. Looks like a talent that had a bad couple of years. Now we have 7 small forwards.
    I sure wish we would have taken Machado instead

• Jun 29, 201212:24 am
    by Mr.Woods

i wasnt in luv with our 2nd rd picks myself.  is it possible we could move 2 of the 7 small forwards we have to okc for pj3?

• Jun 29, 201212:26 am
    by Mr.Woods

i thought we wouldve  taken Kyle oquinn with 1 of those 2nd rd picks

• Jun 29, 20127:56 am
    by Ray

Kris Middleton is a baller…and i read back since 2010 about him, he was another player hurt by coming back to school…could have been a top 15-16 pick last year, and because of coaching is the only reason he came out this year, because if he transferred he would lost a year eligibility.

Theres a chance Prince might be Amnestied….If Daye is still in the doghouse he can still be traded…Jonas is a high enegy guy and plays SF/PF  … that leans Singler and Now Middelton….

and if you are going to play big…you need shooters

• Jun 29, 20128:55 am

Prince can’t be amnestied. Only contracts signed pre-lockout are eligible.

• Jun 29, 20128:34 am
    by DG

If I’m not mistaken they could, theoretically at least, still go get Machado as an undrafted free agent?  I’m good with Drummond and English.  I do wish they had gotten OQuinn though.  He should do well in Orlando.

• Jun 29, 20128:51 am

They could, but here’s the roster right now:

- Signed for next year – Knight, Stuckey, Villanueva, Maxiell, Bynum, Jerebko, Monroe, Prince, Maggette, Daye

- Possible rookies – Middleton, Drummond, English, Singler

- Back if he wants to be – Wallace

So that’s 15 spots of 15 accounted for on the roster, and the Pistons didn’t carry a 15th player last year, so I’m not sure they will this year either. Machado would be intriguing as a camp invite, but as is, I can’t see the Pistons carrying four rookies, let alone five, so I would guess unless a trade that sends out more players than they take back is in the works, they aren’t going to look too hard at potential rookie FAs.

• Jun 29, 20129:15 am

Oh, also, I left out Macklin. He’s a FA. No idea if they plan to bring him back or not.

• Jun 29, 20126:36 pm
    by frankie d

didn’t know anthing about middleton before last night.  however, by just looking at video highlights you can see why he is attractive.  he has a real smooth, easy feel for getting his shot.  he seems to have very good form on his jumper also.
    i hate the pick, however.
    don’t see how this team could pass on a guy like o quinn.  i get that he isn’t the most athletic looking guy, or the smoothest offensive player, but he’s been very productive, especially as a rebounder.  he looks like a guy who is going to stick in the league for a decade as a rotation big guy and the pistons could use a guy like him.
    middleton just reminds me of a smoother version of walter sharpe.
    i just don’t get dumars thinking in this regard.
    year after year the same needs present themselves.  year after year, he passes on guys who might fill that need, and opts instead for another wing player who will simply sit on the end of the bench or be jettisoned after a short, quick look.
    last night was another night like too many in the past.
    groundhog day…

• I know this site provides quality depending articles or reviews
    and other material, is there any other web page which gives such stuff in quality?

• Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!