Chad Ford: ‘Pistons are screwed’

Chad Ford of ESPN:

Yeah, the Pistons are screwed. They need a big, athletic center to pair with Greg Monroe, and those guys are so rare, they’re never going to get them where they’re drafting and don’t have the goods to find one in free agency. So they can either (a) take the elite shot blocker who is too skinny to play in the paint, or (b) the big, physical guy with maturity issues who doesn’t scream "NBA starter." I’d take Henson, too. But it’s by default right now. All the teams trying to trade up don’t have athletic bigs to offer, either.

I think Ford’s rhetoric might be a little extreme – and that could have something to do with upstaging Bill Simmons in what I found to be ridiculously fun draft conversation – but there’s certainly a lot of truth in what Ford says.

• Jun 28, 201210:57 am
    by Crispus

Can we trade the 9 to Houston for 16 and 18 and get Royce White and Fab Melo?

• Jun 28, 201211:13 am
      by gmehl

If Drummond is gone then this should be our plan B IMHO.

• Jun 28, 201211:29 am
      by oats

I’d put money on no. Houston seems interested in two things, acquiring assets and getting a center. They have picks 12, 16, and 18. If they want to move up, it’s almost certainly going to be to get Drummond, and Detroit probably doesn’t trade away pick 9 if Drummond is there. If they don’t get Drummond I’d bet they just keep the picks and keep stockpiling assets. It makes sense as the strength of this draft is in its depth. My best guess, Houston makes a trade with someone like Golden State and lands Drummond for picks 12 and 16. Eeveryone from 5-8 should think long and hard about it, so I think one of them actually makes it happen instead of just taking the risk of drafting Drummond for themselves when he might not be the ideal fit for them,

• Jun 28, 201211:09 am
    by Gregoire

At 16 and 18 you could get maybe Sullinger and Perry Jones…

• Jun 28, 201211:18 am
      by gmehl

So you think we should try and draft the 2 players from this draft with red flags. Errr no thanks. I wouldn’t mind Sully and possibly Moultrie if we could get both picks. You could then start Moose, Moultrie, Prince, Stuckey and Knight with Sully as your 6th man. Sully would be like Corliss Williamson 2.0

• Jun 28, 201211:14 am
    by Crispus

Maybe we could get the guys I mentioned at 21 and 22 from Boston. We should either get Drummond at 9 or trade down and get Leonard/Melo/White/PJIII/Sullinger, you know, risky guys.

• Jun 28, 201211:26 am
    by Daye and Knight

I agree with everything I’ve seen here: if we can’t get Drummond trade down for multiple picks. Boston is “seriously” trying to move up and they have the #21 and 22 picks….Houston has 12, 16, and 18 picks try getting the 16-18 picks..maybe 12 and 16 if it’s possible

• Jun 28, 201212:21 pm
    by Byron

Who exactly wants to move to 9, and why do they want to move there? Houston wants Drummond, so they’re not trading with us.

• Jun 28, 201212:48 pm
      by DG

Boston has been said to want Rivers, and he probably won’t slide past 12-13 if they don’t move up.

My guess is that Houston made the same pitch to Detroit they made to Milwaukee — Dalembert and 14 for #9 — and Joe rightfully said “no.”

I’m also guessing Houston wants at least 2 top ten picks and won’t resort to combining multiple draft picks into a single offer except as a last resort.  So they’ll probably be offering assets like #12 and Lowry for #5, or such.  If they get a taker on a deal like that then they might combine the two remaining picks to move up.  One top ten pick doesn’t get them Howard though.  the only way I see Detroit being a player with Houston is if they get the #7 pick and Drummond and are looking for the second top ten pick.

Otherwise I think Boston or combining second round picks to a team like Miami that might be looking to move out of the first round.

• Jun 28, 201212:37 pm
    by Steve

As much of an Ohio State fan as I am… I really don’t want to see Sullinger come to the Pistons. He has 1 move – and it won’t work against guys in the NBA. He’s too small to play 4 and can’t shoot well enough or move fast enough to play 3. I love the guy and hope he finds a fit somewhere, but I really don’t think the Pistons is the team for him.

But, if he gets drafted to the Pistons, I’ll be the first person to buy his Jersey.

• Jun 28, 20121:52 pm
    by rick

Did we pick up any contract relief when we traded BG to Charlotte, Patrick? Wasn’t BG getting like 12yr and Magette 10yr? Do we get an additional 2million from that or am I dreaming? Could we use the additional in picking up a player with Mid Level? Did the NBA get rid of the Biannual contract as well? Curious insider here, any help is appreciated.

• Jun 28, 20122:04 pm

Maggette will make $10.9 million next year, Gordon will make $12.4, so the Pistons save roughly $1.5 million. They’re still roughly right about at $60 million or so in committed salary for next season, plus they’ll have rookies, plus Singler, so they could possibly sign someone for mid-level type money, but they don’t have a whole lot of room before they’d go into luxury tax territory, I believe.

• Jun 28, 20122:07 pm
    by BigRiggs

did they say screwed? not at all.
    If Drummond drops to them, dont be surprised to see the Pistons swing a deal for additional picks.
    #9 and Rodney Stuckey for Houstons 3 picks if Drummond is available for the Rockets to take.
    Pistons select Fab Melo, Jeff Taylor, and Royce White. Big athletic center, lock down defender, and a versatile PF with huge upside.
    If they keep the pick, they could snag Moultrie. Not the shotblocker that Henson is, but he can score, defend three positions, and rebounds better than almost anyone. Grab a center with size and a motor to groom, and a SG/SF tweener to bring off the bench to score.

• Jun 28, 20122:07 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

If we get Drummond can you please never quote anything he says again??

• Jun 28, 20122:18 pm

OK Jodi Jezz … the world’s biggest Ben Gordon fan is going to offer nothing, NOTHING, on the Ben Gordon trade? Come on man! The Pistons had to give away a draft pick just to move him. That’s your guy! You have to stick up for him.

• Jun 28, 20122:31 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

Even though I’m a huge Ben Gordon fan, I’ve always said he was trade-able…You guys used to disagree with me all the time…Even though we had to give up a draft pick which was smartly protected over 3yrs, we still traded him for an expiring contract…It’s a win-win for us, we get 30mil+ in cap space next summer, we’ll trade Maggette at the trade deadline, plus we have wiggle room to do something this off-season…

I’ll tune into some Bobcats games from time to time…I think he’ll score 40 on us this coming season(Pistons Vs Nuggets Style)…

• Jun 28, 20122:34 pm

Hahaha … because teams have to give up first round picks just to get other teams to trade for players like Gordon who are really, really good all the time, right?

• Jun 28, 20122:58 pm
            by Jodi Jezz

I mean, we gave up the 1st round pick because the Bobcats are possibly taking on 26mil for the next 2yrs and Gordon hasn’t been producing well in Detroit…But Gordon is good if he’s put in the right situation, I still stand by that…Gordon needs to be utilized like he was in Chicago, and if you forgot look at OKC’s way they play James Harden…Put Gordon in the game consistently for 32mins off the bench and let him get hot…The Pistons didn’t do that…If Gordon was hot, he stayed in the game, if Gordon was cold, he played 26mins a game…

• Jun 28, 20122:47 pm
    by Craig

I agree with BigRiggs, Im not sold on Henson at all, I would even take a chance on
    Perry Jones III. This is the Draft,  90% of these guys have concerns but this dude is a freakish athlete, which we have not had since Grant Hill. They said the samething about Greg Monroes motor coming out of college and he is a BEAST.

• Jun 28, 20122:53 pm
    by John V

Trade back with Houston and get PJIII and Moultrie.

• Jun 28, 20122:57 pm
    by Craig

I do not think we should draft Henson, he may turn out to be a good player but the PF position in the NBA are for GROWN MEN and his weight is a problem. If we could trade down i would take a chance on PJ III and a big man. 2nd round i would still go BIG and a shooter if available. im sure Sims from Georgetown will still be on the board and from what we know from Georgetown Big men they are ready to Play NBA ball

• Jun 28, 20122:57 pm
    by Craig

Great Draft Jon V

• Jun 28, 20124:57 pm
    by Don Brake

Wow, thank you Charlotte, for making this deal! Now, this gives us and Joe the opportunity to maybe even consider moving back, selecting a guy like Moultrie, and gaining an extra pick. Something to consider.

• Jun 28, 20128:15 pm
    by tomasina

could we just get rid of Dumars, please?