Andre Drummond to wear No. 1

Andre Drummond will wear No. 1, per the news conference on Pistons.com. Khris Middleton will wear No. 32, and Kim English has No. 24.

• Jun 29, 20123:14 pm
    by Shane

Pretty sweet.. I’m wondering what his reasoning behind #1 is? I know his favorite player is Dwight Howard so he does like the #12.

• Jun 29, 20123:19 pm
    by Wall-E

Any word on whether he will wear sunglasses while playing?

• Jun 29, 20123:44 pm
    by perkus tooth

This is pure Disrespect to Mr. Big Shot and RIP.

• Jun 29, 20123:48 pm

And Allen Iverson. Anybody? Anybody?

• Jun 29, 20123:51 pm
        by Alan

How dare you forget Tracy McGrady?

• Jun 29, 20123:58 pm
        by Wall-E

I wish the Pistons would have returned to the teal uniforms when they traded for Iverson.  That way we can just lump all the embarrasing times together under one uniform, and not tarnish the Red and Blue.

• Jun 29, 20125:34 pm
      by MNM

Rip basically headed up a player protest, so give me a break with that respect crap. The Billups thing was a bit wierd the moment A.I. got off the plane and was wearing it, then it was a little less wierd when the next season TMac was wearing it.. But now? It’s just wierd to see a center wearing a jersey that is a single digit number..

• Jun 29, 20123:57 pm
    by rick

Wow, I wonder why no respect for Billups and the number 1 jesrey? If it’s like that why not let him wear the number 4 jersey? I’m sure Wil Bynum could’ve given up that 12. Curious indeed if I say so myself. Thought Billups would retire a Piston great. So much for nostalgia.

• Jun 29, 20123:59 pm
      by Wall-E

He’s probably too young to remember that Billups was a Piston.

• Jun 29, 20124:30 pm
    by Eric

He picked 1 because that’s his mother’s favorite number. Disrespectful? not

• Jun 29, 20124:33 pm
    by Shane

I don’t see the problem with number 1. Billups is still in the league and not retired. Therefore there’s no point in saving that number from being used.

• Jun 29, 20124:43 pm
    by Coach_Ackley

I agree with Eric and Shane… Rip and Billups ” as much as I love them two as players ” there is no reason these guys can’t wear the numbers 1, 32 and 24.. Just like Moose with the number 10 that Worm wore… Some of you Piston fans can’t just be happy for these players why?????

• Jun 29, 20125:41 pm
      by MNM

They decided to retire the #10 after Monroe started wearing it.. If Rodman wasn’t going to the hall of fame that year, they never would have put his jersey up to the rafters.. It was good publicity for the team to get people back in the seats and to FINALLY have Dennis back in the Palace for a Pistons celebration after being a “no-show” for the last 2 events before that. Fans were craving to see him again, and it worked out for that night.. Then Stuckey had to pull his boycott for the second half of that game against the Bulls…

• Jun 29, 201210:12 pm
        by Coach_Ackley

No dude that’s not what I’m saying… What I’m saying is ppl wanna cry cuz these players got numbers 1, 32, and 24 and what I was saying is why aren’t they crying over Moose wearing number 10… I don’t care what number they wear I care more about how will these guys pan out which I believe they will….. This should be and exciting time to be a Pistons fan cuz there is so much surrounding this team that we may be turning the corner as we speak.. Yes this team is young and if they grow togather they can be a badass team to watch…..

• Jun 29, 20124:46 pm

Letting Kim English wear No. 24 is an insult to Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes.

• Jun 29, 20124:49 pm
    by Joe

Wearing #1 is disrespectful to Darko

• Jun 29, 20125:44 pm
      by MNM

Darko being drafted was an insult to basketball players.

• Jun 29, 20125:27 pm
    by Mark

He said on the Pistons chat that he asked his Mom her favorite number and she said #1, so that’s what he chose.

He also said to call him AD1.

I don’t care about wearing past players numbers, esp if they aren’t retired yet. Monroe is wearing Rodman’s #10 too, and Stuckey wears Big Ben’s #3.

Also, English has Dice’s #24. Just numbers. If all those guys get their jersey’s retired, they’ll just retire the # twice like the Lions did with #20.

In a way, having more than 1 great player wearing a certain number increases the number’s significance.

• Jun 29, 201210:14 pm
      by Coach_Ackley

Thank you Mark that is what I’m saying…..

• Jun 29, 20125:53 pm
    by ray

okay he is 7’0 260 plus
    Tell me that doesnt get you just a little pumped up?

• Jun 29, 20129:41 pm

I don’t know anyone who isn’t excited about his size/physical attributes. The Pistons haven’t had a player with his mix of size and athleticism maybe ever. Those elements are legit, and no one questions that.

• Jun 29, 20129:44 pm
    by Mark

I’m trying to keep my expectations tempered. I just believe that Drummond could be a perfect fit next to Moose. They could be Detroit’s “Twin Towers” for the next decade, and make every other team miserable as they wreck the boards all night.

Anyways, I don’t view it as a slight. Personally, I love Billups. His Pistons run was amazing, and I’ve rooted for him while he was a Nugget as well, not the team, but the player. I think he’ll make a great head coach someday.

But, it’s no disrespect wearing the #1. It’s not as if he’s wearing #4. #32? Take it, Rip Hamilton will never get his number retired, nor will he ever get consideration for the Hall of Fame. McDyess gave Detroit some good years, but not enough to consider retiring #24.

#22 will likely be retired if Tayshaun retires from Detroit, which is likely. He spent his career there and was a fan favorite. Ben Wallace would have had #3 retired, but he came back and wore #6….I’m not sure how they’ll work that? But, he’s likely a hall of famer and will definitely get a # retired in Motown.

• Jun 29, 201210:16 pm
    by Coach_Ackley

Mark 100% spot on…

• Jan 18, 20131:57 pm
    by Taylor Cahill

I used to go school with Andre he was an awesome friend