Andre Drummond might slip past Trail Blazers, but getting by the Warriors and to the Pistons another obstacle

John Canzano of the Oregonian:

NBA GM tells me if the draft were today he thinks Blazers take Damian Lillard at No. 6, and wouldn’t chance trying to get him at No. 11.

Chad Ford of ESPN tweeted that he had heard similar things and wrote of Lillard:

Of the teams he’s worked out for, it sounds like the Blazers are the highest on him. He had a very strong workout in Portland that ended with a dinner invite from Paul Allen. The question is whether the Blazers take him at No. 6 or No. 11.

The Trail Blazers are key for the Pistons’ hopes of getting Andre Drummond, but even if Portland picks Lillard (or someone else), the Warriors at No. 7 could take Drummond. Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News:

And we know the Joe Lacob Warriors always aim to think big. Thinking big is practically the singular definition of the Lacob’Guber ownership so far.

Big promises, big plans, big shows, big ideas, big names, big thinking.

So… If Drummond isn’t selected in the top-6, which is possible, do the Warriors take him at 7, and accept that it’s a boom/bust gamble, to fulfill their quest for big-ness?

I think if the GSW turn comes up and Drummond is still there, Drummond would have some support, possibly from the main “Think Big” components of the organization.

And I’ve heard that Lacob himself is prodding the front office to look for post players in the draft, if there’s no obvious elite talent available at other positions. (Not necessarily for Drummond, I should point out.)

The last time the Warriors picked slightly ahead of the Pistons as an impressive draft prospect slipped, Golden State did Detroit a favor. Hopefully, the Warriors will be so generous next week if Drummond is still on the board.

• Jun 22, 20129:35 am
    by Jeremy

I don’t know, the Warriors have Biedrins, Bogut, and Lee. Allbeit Biedrins is past his prime, I just don’t see them going big in this draft. They have Curry and Nate Robinson at the point. They seem weak at the 2 and 3 spots and that is where I see them going. They may be that mystery team that made a promise to Dion Waiters.

1) N.O: Davis
    2) Charlotte: Robinson
    3) Washington: Beal
    4) Cleveland: MKG
    5) Sacramento: Barnes
    6) Portland: Illard
    7) G.S.: Waiters
    8) Toronto: Rivers
    9) Detroit: Drummond

The Hornets also have a pretty glaring hole at SF after their trade earlier this week. Any chance of slanging them some combination of Tay, Daye, our trash can (CV/BG) and some second rounders for that #10 spot should be explored.

• Jun 22, 20129:46 am
      by Daye and Knight

I think the promise might have came from the Suns after realizing Rivers wouldn’t fall to them, but I see the Warriors are interested in Waiters as well. Hopefully they take him, Ross or either of the Jones’s so we get Drummond!

• Jun 22, 201210:27 am
      by sop

I’m with you Jeremy. I still think its about 80% chance Drummond gets drafted before the Pistons pick, but he doesn’t make that much sense for GSW. That being said they might try to play him at PF knowing their track record. It’s also unfortunate that Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones haven’t been blow people out of the water with his workouts.

• Jun 22, 201211:02 am
      by Marvin Jones

The Warriors also have Jeremy Tyler, whom they like, so I don’t see them drafting Drummond either; but even if he’s available I’m not sure I would take him over Leonard. Both are risks but Leonard at least showed that he is a basketball player and not just an athletic. Physically, both are impressive but if you think Leonard is “two yrs away” then Drummond is two years away from being two years away and Leonard does not have a motor or work ethic problem. Leonard would be my pick regardless.

• Jun 22, 20121:32 pm
        by djunak

I agree with you. I think that Detroit struggles with developing talent.  Drummond would end up getting wasted in Detroit.  Look at the way they handled Maklin, I know he was not a high draft pick but he showed promise but they never let him off the bench. I like Detroit but I think they are better with players who are more ready to play than Projects.

• Jun 22, 20129:52 am
    by Wall-E

Different subject:

Today is the first day after the Miami Heat won the 2012 NBA Championship. …And nothing has changed.
    Lebron was a great player before and he is still a great player. Lebron was also a coward before, and is still one now

• Jun 22, 201210:41 am
    by vic

He’s not a coward. He couldn’t win a championship in Cleveland. He was their 7 years and his best supporting player was Mo Williams.
    If he hadn’t have gotten out of Cleveland, it would have been a basketball tragedy.
    Imagine the 1st or 2nd greatest player ever to play the game – never having a good enough team to win a championship. That would have been sadder than Barry Sanders retiring from the Lions.
    All the great teams had multiple All-NBA players. Cleveland was a trap, I’m glad he got out.

Bird Parish, McHale
    Magic, Worthy, Kareem, McAdoo
    Isiah, Joe, Rodman
    Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Grant
    Kobe/Shaq/Gasol

• Jun 22, 20127:38 pm

It’s not like it was unthinkable that Lebron could have won with his team in Cleveland. It was just that he had a better opportunity elsewhere. Kudos to him for taking it instead of feeling like he owed Cleveland for being lucky enough to have the opportunity to draft him and for being gift-wrapped 7 of the best years to ever be a Cavs fan.

• Jun 22, 201211:38 am
    by Travis

If I don’t like my job conditions at one law firm and change to another firm where I have friends, better weather and a better life does that make me a coward? No. And it doesn’t make Lebron one either. Congrads on the ring. Plus now the central division is more winnable

• Jun 22, 20123:24 pm
      by Max

He’s something much worse than a coward.  And I don’t want to hear that he has redeemed himself until he wins, “not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7, not 8…….” and so on.   That quote defines his character as well as anything he has ever said or done in my opinion.

• Jun 22, 20127:35 pm

Yes if you define someone by one of the stupidest quotes they ever made, they will seem to have a pretty negative character.

Imagine you are surrounded by fawning fans and a whole production team just to pump you up and make you feel great about, I don’t know, a scholarship or something. You feel on top of the world. You feel like you can accomplish anything. You have crazy high expectations for yourself and delusions of grandeur. And then you make a mistake. You open your mouth and let people know the over the top feelings coursing through you. Let’s say you declare that one day you will be president of the the United States. Then, for the rest of your career, everyone gives you no respect because even though you become a mayor and a CEO, you never make it to president. I mean, sure, it’s ok for your buddies to rib you about it. But after a year or so, is it really reasonable for everyone else to hold a stupid comment against you? They can if they want, but at that point, they’re the ones being idiots. Your moment of idiocy has passed. They just have an irrational hatred for you so they continue to live in the past so they can poke at that moment.

• Jun 22, 201210:06 pm
          by Max

As if he had just one bad moment or delivered just one bad quote.   He can win ten championships.   He will never be likeable as a personality and is the human “sticks his foot in his mouth when he speaks” highlight film.
          It’s like Christian Bale.   He’s one of the greatest actors but that tape of him ranting at the lighting guy and the stories about his treatment of his family and the like are never going away.  He can win a bunch of Oscars and may deserve them but that doesn’t erase the ugliness of some of his actions.

• Jun 22, 201210:23 pm

I certainly would never claim he had only one bad moment. Or even that that was his worst one. Just the it was about the stupidest thing he said. We’ve all said thousands of good and bad things in our lives–including James. He just has had way more of them televised. And you just choose to focus only on the negative ones and ignore all the positive ones. Why? I honestly have no idea. All I can come up with is that for some reason you want to feel superior to this man. You know you will never rival his success so you put down his personality/integrity/whatever. It’s honestly kinda pathetic. I’m under no illusion that LeBron is the second coming of Jesus or anything. But there is no reason to believe he is a bad guy. And by that, I mean there are plenty of reasons, but there are just as many counterpoints, as could be expected for a man of his level of celebrity.

• Jun 23, 20125:20 pm
            by Max

The personal attack is just silly.   I probably will never rival any or most of the players I praise either.   Many of them have had the bright lights on them.  What has any of that to do with the fact that LeBron inspires me with loathing in a way that no athlete has done since the days of hating Pippen and Jordan but giving Jordan grudging respect?   I just don’t like him and I’m hardly alone.  As far as I’m concerned, the Heat winning is like the dark side of the force or the Axis powers taking over.  It’s damned depressing and the sight I least wanted to ever have the displeasure of seeing regarding the NBA.  I can only hope that Grant Hill won’t go over to their side because it would alter my feelings for him more adversely than when he even left the Pistons.  I love DeShawn Stevensen for openly denouncing and mocking LeBum the way he does because it’s just so honest and I have more respect for all of the players who have openly criticized LBJ’s actions and less for his apologists.  This is a either you are with us or against us issue for me.

• Jun 24, 20121:01 am

“The personal attack is just silly.”

I think your personal attack on LBJ is just silly. It’s fine not to be a fan of his. But unless he chokes his coach, rapes a girl, fires a gun at a club, or partakes in some such unacceptable behavior, attacking his character is really uncalled for.

I didn’t really personally attack you. I asked why you said what you did and gave my best guess for a reason. But I never meant to imply that it was in fact the reason. It was merely an explanation of why your comments seemed so pathetic to me. In other words, your comments caused me to have an unflattering impression of you. In the hope that I could replace that with a more flattering one, I asked why you choose to focus only on the negatives and not the positives of James’ character-reflecting actions. You replied basically by saying you think James is evil for some reason–to the point that those who choose to be his teammates deserve less appreciation and respect. And you refer to those who share your opinions (Stevenson) as more honest than those who don’t. Did you ever consider that others could be perfectly honest but not agree with you?

• Jun 23, 201212:07 pm
    by Wall-E

Tarsier
    You make some valid points, and some invalid ones.  (like playing the ”hater” card.  Please, that’s just cheap.  Why not just go all the way and call me a racist, too?)

But as far as the judging of Lebron based only on his stupidest moments, you have a point.  What can we honestly expect from a kid that grew up in such an environment?  How would any of us fare if we had no real father-figure, and instead we had thousands of voices trying to tell us how great we are, what we should do, or simply angling to geat a peice of our potential earnings?  What kind of man could we possibly hope to become?

Correct answer:  Derrick Rose.

That is why I refuse to celebrate Lebron.  The unfortunate thing is I readily admit that I have never seen anyone who understands the game as well as Lebron is able to.  He is the rarest of sports figures because he not only has the talent, but knows when and how to use it.  He intuitively seems to understand that basketball is, at its essence,  a team game.  And for that I wish I could root for him.

But I believe he colluded with Bosh, Wade and Riley.  And that ammounts to cheating, in my book.  Someone who cheats and wins, understands nothing about the nature of life.  That is perfectly consistant with everything that I see from Lebron, not just his stupidest moments.

• Jun 23, 20125:57 pm

I rarely refer to persons as haters. And from what I have seen of your comments, I would not describe you with the term. I do call max a hater though, because he clearly is. Just because most people who dislike James or Obama or whoever else aren’t racists doesn’t mean that it would never be an appropriate descriptor for their detractors.

Derrick Rose appears to be a phenomenal person. I do not say the same of James. I merely point out that the evidence does not indicate that he is a terrible guy or that he can be defined by one quote. Personally, I doubt I would get along with the man very well. But max has, on multiple occasions referred to James and the Heat as basically being evil (most recently in his 5:20 pm comment from earlier today. You certainly don’t have to like them. I really dislike the Celtics. But I don’t call them evil. He also has repeatedly tried to diagnose LeBron with a psychological disorder. Finally, someone who uses terms like LeBum or KoBrick is pretty much the definition of when the term “hater” is appropriate.

I would certainly concede that based on the evidence we have, Rose is a better person than James. As are Durant and many others. And James appears to be a better guy than Sprewell, Kobe, and many others. He basically seems to be an average guy. He does lots of mildly dickish things. And he does lots of good stuff too.

As for collusion, we really don’t have much evidence as to whether he did or not. But plenty of GMs and staffpersons who pitched LBJ to join their teams did not get the impression that he had already made up his mind. And since they were with him in person, I’ll take their intuition on the matter over yours. Furthermore, cheating isn’t a subjective thing. It is breaking the rules. To the best of my knowledge, ti is totally legal for players to “collude” just like it is ok for prospective employees to “collude” to work together while it is not ok for their employers to do the same. That is how the system is. I guess you could argue that the system should be different. But as long as it is this way, it is unfair to call someone a cheater for using it. That would be like calling Harden a cheater for holding the ball way in front of him to draw a foul, Pierce a cheater for trying to get off a shot the moment he realizes he is being fouled, or Durant a cheater for swinging his arms in a big arc in his shooting motion to try to catch the defender’s arm. They are all just using the system in regrettable ways, but fair ones.

• Jun 24, 201211:29 am
    by Faraz

@Dan or Patrick, So obviously, the two big topics about Drummond are his size/athleticism and how he is extremely undeveloped but has potential.

Now some people say he has the potential to be Dwight Howard and others point to how the Lakers took a “project” like Andrew Bynum, patiently developed him, and are reaping the rewards now.

My question is, how did Howard and Bynum compare to Drummond at Drummond’s age. Were both just as raw? Is Drummond significantly worse? Maybe a compare/contrast article would be nice (if time allows)