LeBron James was buddy-buddy with Rasheed Wallace after Sheed bloodied Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ head

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:

Stephenson offended James, but it’s doubtful James pushed for this kind of retaliation. In fact, here’s a story on how James sees retaliation: In February 2006, Rasheed Wallace clobbered Zydrunas Ilgauskas in a Detroit-Cleveland rivalry game. Gash. Blood everywhere. Big Z had to leave the floor and go to the locker room to get bandaged before returning to finish the game. When it was over, Wallace made clear the shot was intentional.

Here’s what bothered Ilguaskas, a source in the Cavaliers’ locker room remembered: “He looks out on the court in the second half, and there’s LeBron talking with ‘Sheed like nothing happened,” the source said. “They were hanging out on the court, joking, and it really bothered Z. But that’s LeBron – or, at least, that was him.”

Ilgauskas couldn’t have been too upset with LeBron. After all, Ilgauskas followed LeBron to Miami.

Also, maybe this incident speaks more to Wallace than LeBron. Wallace – at least relative to his public reputation – was one of the NBA’s most-liked players by NBA players. Wallace appeared to give little weight to the public’s opinion of him, but by all accounts, fellow players, especially his teammates, adored him.

• May 28, 20123:14 pm
    by John

Is there any news if Joe is going to make a draft day trade?

• May 28, 20123:14 pm
    by Max

He is a narcissist.   He didn’t care or even know that his actions would bother Zelly.

• May 28, 20125:17 pm
      by Ignarus

Most critical accounts of Lebron’s personality peg the guy as caring TOO much about what people think about him.

More consistent with the observation that he just doesn’t seem to hold grudges. Some guys are fueled by that negative stuff; he’s not (or at least doesn’t seem to be for very long) and it drives folks crazy trying to make sense of it.

It’s not the best idea to confuse marketing images with what a guy is actually like on or off the court. A lot of NBA fans and media would really prefer it if Lebron WAS a narcissist or at least tried to play like he was. That’s what Kobe’s “Black Mamba” persona is all about and it makes it sooo much easier to write positively or negatively about the guy.

Like him or not, “narcissism” is as good a criticism of him as saying he doesn’t defend or doesn’t have a post game.

• May 28, 20125:48 pm
        by Max

Narcissists cannot handle criticism and react with anger which is why anyone would say he cares too much.
        And his game differs from Kobe principally because he patterned his game on Magic and Kobe tried to emulate Jordan.

• May 28, 20125:51 pm
        by Max

I’m glad you think the character flaw bears equal weight with flaws in his game but I would say he is the best or close to the best defender in the league while he still has almost no post game.

• May 28, 201211:23 pm

Wow, you criticize his character for acting friendly. I think many fans have difficulty accepting that such a great player could care about other things more than the game/his team/NBA culture and expectations. James apparently was friendly with Sheed. So he acted like it. And recognized that what happened in the game was in the past. It was people playing basketball. But it wasn’t worth disliking someone in real life over.

James may be a narcissist. I certainly don’t know. But could you leave critiques of his personality to people who know him? Criticize particular actions, fine. But you are trying to diagnose a man I assume you have never met with a psychological disorder. That is pretty presumptuous.

• May 29, 20124:55 pm
        by Max

I don’t know why analyzing James’ psychology or character would be out of bounds.  People freely discuss things here like the implications of Prince’s body language and facial expressions on the court and the like.   When McGrady was laughing on the bench during that incident with Kuester, was it wrong to attempt infer things about McGrady’s character makeup or was it rather a natural result of his own actions?   Doug Collins probably didn’t work as a coach for years because he had developed a reputation of being impatient and yelling too much.  People decided he might have the wrong temperament for the job but now think he has mellowed some.   Are these kind of discussions really so different than my assertion that James has a clear and consistent pattern of narcissistic behavior after he has provided literally hundreds of examples to my thinking?

• May 29, 201211:22 pm

It’s not that it’s “out of bounds”. It’s that you have no idea what you’re talking about. It would be like if I tried to diagnose Conan O’Brien with ADHD. He often acts in ways that could be symptomatic of it if I chose to look at the actions that way. But I’m not that arrogantly presumptuous. Anyone whose life has been under a microscope as much as James’ will have hundreds of examples of almost anything. Lebron has done lots of self-serving things, and lots of other-serving things. Conclusion: he appears to be a normal person (outside of his being a phenomenal baller that is). I certainly am not qualified to say that a person I have never met does not have a psychological disorder. But odds are that I’m right.

But this is mostly confirmation bias. Unless I have reason to believe otherwise, I assume most people are pretty normal. You, on the other hand, at least in James’ case, look for a way to make everything he does seem as negative as possible. If you don’t believe me, look at our conversation after he was chosen by the PP writers for the citizenship award. Every one of his actions that could have a million different motivations and intentions, you assume are caused by narcissism and aim toward Lebron’s benefit alone, preferably at others’ expense.

• May 30, 201212:31 am
            by Max

James time under the microscope does provide a lot of evidence and does constitute a pattern of behavior.    Scholars and psychologists all over the world write papers on celebrities and historical figures, writers and artists they never met and in many cases (Emily Dickinson suffered from depression) have less to go on than what evidence I have regarding James.   For instance, Freud wrote an entire book on Da Vinci and certainly didn’t feel like not having met Da Vinci should stop him from offering psychological speculation and analysis.

• May 30, 20125:26 am

While those persons obviously had limitations affecting their diagnoses, there is a big difference between a professional psychologist dedicating a large amount of effort to studying and researching a historical figure and concluding that they may have suffered from affliction xyz than a random commenter on a blog being like, “Yeah, I’ve watched this guy on TV. I am totally qualified to diagnose him.” Hence why I even gave a comparable example of such arrogant presumptuousness. If you are a licensed psychologist and you did, in fact, formally study the man, then I apologize for underestimating you. However, if you are not and did not, my point stands. The logos of your argument is lacking so you really would need to lean on a strong ethos, which you have not established.

• May 30, 20124:15 pm
            by Max

You are starting to look like an apologist to me and your defense in general is fairly hysterical.  Look how passionately you are debating the traveling issue below.   I loved Patrick Ewing but he traveled all the time.   I don’t have to deny it because I’d defend his game and character in general.

• May 29, 20128:28 am
    by Jeremy

I remember this game – happened in Cleveland and if I am correct the teams played about a week later and things got chippy then as well. Ahh the golden years…lol

I’m not a Lebron fan and definitely wish a player like Kwame or Nazr would lay his ass out one of these days on one of his 6 step without dribbling lowering his shoulder and dunking drives. I know the league has made strides to safen the game up and improve the offensive output, but I wish there were still enforcers in the game. I personally loved that Indiana-Miami series because of the chippiness.

• May 29, 20128:50 am

Find one example in which James dropped his shoulder and took six steps to the basket. I dare you. He sometimes gets away with three. But the vast majority of the time, his third step is in the air and his foot doesn’t hit the ground until after the shot. And, like any great modern player, there are probably 1 or 2 instances, well documented on youtube or some such, in which he got away with four steps.

I know, there is one time out there that people claim he got 7, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsl36MnOqY but the first is as he caught it (50/50 on whether to call it a step), there is a dribble after two more (ergo, 50/50 on whether to call it a travel thus far, totally reasonable to go either way. Then there are three steps (still a missed travel call, I know) and Stiemsma bumped him as he was on his fourth step (another 50/50 as to whether to call it a step).

That was some terrible officiating, I’ll admit. But good luck finding a single example that qualifies for the “6 step without dribbling” description that you imply is so common for him.

• Aug 15, 20127:19 pm
    by Henrietta Lodrigue

How’s things?, can anybody able to give information on a good way to get the cateye look with eyeliner? thankyou

• Apr 9, 201311:41 pm
    by hair chalk sets

Most of what you point out happens to be supprisingly legitimate and that makes me ponder the reason why I hadn’t looked at this with this light before. Your article really did switch the light on for me as far as this subject matter goes.