Tayshaun Prince not ready to cede big role

Tayshaun Prince, via Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports:

"If I didn’t feel we had the abilty to get this thing back I wouldn’t have signed for four years back. I would probably just have moved on to have a chance to win another title sooner & less money. But the one thing is I thought I had a lot more basketball left in me. If I go to a good team that was a contender I’d be playing less minutes. I just wasn’t ready to take that role as opposed to this role & I can do this at my home.’’

Prince, whose 33.7 minutes per game leads the Pistons, isn’t only getting plenty of playing time, he’s also getting plenty of shots. He takes 13.0 shots per game, tops on the team, even though his effective field-goal percentage (45.1) ranks eighth.

Unlike Patrick, I don’t have a huge problem with this. The Pistons don’t score particularly well, and that’s not just because of Prince.

Rodney Stuckey has battled injury. Greg Monroe disappears for stretches. Brandon Knight is still raw. Ben Gordon doesn’t look to shoot often enough. Detroit doesn’t have another player or players who should definitely be taking Prince’s looks.

But by the end of Prince’s four-year contract, those circumstances will change. Prince is becoming less effective as he ages, and his teammates are becoming more effective as they develop.

At some point – perhaps, as early as the start of next season – it will become imperative Prince accepts a reduced role. Hopefully, he’ll be ready whenever that date comes.

• Apr 9, 20122:06 pm
    by sebastian

Tay makes it abundantly clear in the provided quote. He re-signed with the Pistons, because he could get more money.
    Tay: ” … I would probably just have moved on to have a chance to win another title sooner & less money.”

• Apr 9, 20122:42 pm
    by vic

honestly he’s the best one on one scorer our team has, even if isos suck and take energy from the team. Plus he’s a good defender.

Hopefully we can get Jae Crowder in to replace him… Jae is number 1 SF in Steals, and one of the only 4 with a positive Pure Point Ratio.

Then he’ll definitely have to take a step back.

• Apr 9, 20125:09 pm
    by frankie d

can you point to any evidence that this might happen?
    any statements by frank or dumars, or any conduct that indicates they will do as you anticipate?
    from everything everyone says and does, it sure looks like tay is entrenched for the foreseeable future.  for better or worse.
    this entire series of morning posts is extremely depressing, or imho, should be, for pistons’ fans.
    the team seems to be in a rebuilding alternate universe, where everything that a rebuilding team should not do, they do, and the things they should do, they pointedly say they will not do.
    bringing wilkins back for another year?  are you kidding?  nothing more need be said.
    not play macklin absent some injury or other unforseen event?   insane…considering the team’s need for big men and what should be a priority: finding out whether the guy on the roster can play as the team goes into a crucial offseason.  how can the team properly assess its draft and trade needs if it doesn’t have any real evidence about a guy who might be able to fill a huge roster hole?
    CV? is he just going to sit for the last couple of years on his contract?  shouldn’t the team at least try to let other teams know that he is physically capable, just in case someone may want to gamble on him and take him off the team’s hands?  if he is in great shape, and if he did play well, wouldn’t that be a much better image to present to interested teams, as opposed to a guy who has essentially been benched all year?  what is the team going to do with a guy making almost 8 million dollars and shouldn’t their actions reflect their plans?
    tay as the team’s offensive centerpiece?  a guy who should be a 4th – 3rd at best – offensive option, where you have 2 and possibly 3 younger players who should be learning how to carry the team’s offense as the team moves forward?  tay’s statements are probably the most disturbing, as it seems to indicate that the team really is not committed to rebuilding, but is, instead, still trying to muddle through to some sort of respectable status.  exactly what the team has been doing, with not a lot of success, since the AI debacle.
    again, every step of the way, the team does things in a way that seems to reflect a universe turned upside down.
    do those guys have a clue?  i keep hoping they do and then a series of statements of this sort seep out of the organization and all you can do is shake your head in wonder.

• Apr 10, 20121:48 pm
      by apa8ren9

ok, from that post I have been able to finally discern that you are not a Pistons fan.  Now all of your posts make more sense.

• Apr 9, 20129:37 pm
    by domnick

we just made a bad decision on signing tay long term contract… it couldve been on a short term…

we need our young guns to develop too.. we need room for improvement… and hopefully if singler comes back to us… then we will need to trade prince after this season

• Apr 9, 201210:43 pm
    by Max

Can anyone read?  Let me paraphrase Prince’s comments.
    “If I didn’t feel we had the ability to get this thing back I wouldn’t have signed for four years back.” = I think the Pistons can be great again and I tied my future to that belief.
    “I would probably just have moved on to have a chance to win another title sooner & less money.” =  Winning is more important to me than money.  I would have signed for less money to join a contender if I didn’t think the Pistons could be a contender even though I realize the team is not one right now.
    “But the one thing is I thought I had a lot more basketball left in me. If I go to a good team that was a contender I’d be playing less minutes. I just wasn’t ready to take that role as opposed to this role & I can do this at my home.’’ = I still believe I have game.  If I went somewhere else, I’d be piggy backing whereas I can still make it happen.  Best of all, I can perform a role that is suited to my talents and do it for the team that I consider family.

• Apr 10, 20122:08 am
      by frankie d

unnhhh…hate to break this to you, but what he specifically says is that he took the money and ran.
      now, the pistons may get to be a better ball club than it is right now, but, according to him, he would have had to have taken less money to play with a contender.  he made more money by staying with a losing team.
      how that translates to “winning is more important than money…”  u don’t know.
      if winning was more important, he would have taken LESS money and played with a winning contender.
      heck, i don’t blame him…if my hometown team was offering more money, i’d take it.  the question is why joe d would feel the necessity to offer more money to a player who is absolutely superfluous.  he is the very definition of superfluous.

• Apr 10, 20123:41 am
        by Max

What are you reading?   Do you skip the first sentence entirely?   What does this sentence mean to you?  “If I didn’t feel we had the ability to get this thing back I wouldn’t have signed for four years back.”     It’s a sentence about winning.
        To me, it provides the context of all of the other sentences.
        Look how what he said would read if you make the first part of his first sentence the middle clause of the second sentence.
        “I would probably just have moved on”, “If I didn’t feel we had the ability to get this thing back”, “to have a chance to win another title sooner & less money”; ”
        This seems to me to be perfectly what he meant and it is only by eliminating the first sentence that you can make your claim.  Even that it is a weak reading of what he said.
        Taken this sentence on its own “I would probably just have moved on to have a chance to win another title sooner & less money.”
        What do you take the “sooner” to mean?  To me, it continues the theme of the first sentence which is “Winning is the most important thing”.
        This is the only time he makes any reference to money.  It’s not like Prince is the greatest speaker on the planet.  He left out the word “accepted” between & and less.
        You argue he would have joined a contender if winning was the most important thing but his third sentence distinguishes both that he wants to still be an important contributor and that the Pistons are important to him.:
        I can’t understand the interpretation you are making at all other than if you are simply seeking to twist his words as some kind of attack.
        You said that you hated to break it to me but you provided no substantiation for your reading of Prince’s actual quotes.

• Apr 10, 20123:50 am
    by Max

Put more simply: Prince did not say that he would have had to accept less money to join a contender but that he would have accepted less money to join a contender if he didn’t think the Pistons could get back to being one.  Any other reading ignores his first sentence.

• Apr 10, 20125:45 am
      by labatts

Morning from Florida, everyone!  My daughter woke me up, so I thought I might as well chat about Tayshaun.  My two cents, it doesn’t really matter WHY Tayshaun resigned.  Heck, I would have taken the money, so I can’t blame if he did too.  If he says he didn’t, then fine (although they ALL say it isn’t about the money, buy we know better.  Larry Brown always says he wants to coach a high school team right?  Why doesn’t he?  money.)
      But mostly it doesn’t matter.  What matters is that DUMARS resigned him, not that Tayshaun accepted.  In this, I agree with frankie.  The organizational direction is ridiculous.

• Apr 10, 20121:36 pm
    by apa8ren9

Wow, it really is amazing how the same words can be interpreted differently.  Tayshaun signed here because he wanted to stay, got paid and gets to play.  What is not to like as a player in that situation.  Cant blame him for that.  As for the Pistons.  They could not get a better player.  He will help them transition their young players, help with their professionalism(that can be debated) but also links a great time in Piston history to a new era.  I think that fits the bill for the Pistons when they are trying to sell tickets and get better at the same time.  Its their way of rebuilding.  At this point in time right after the lockout, its the best and only options they had. At least that is what I believe.  There will be lots of different options in the off season now that they have had time to digest the new rules and let the new owner get used to running the team and making decisions.

• Apr 10, 20123:08 pm
      by frankie d

LOLOLOL!
      hilarious!!
      this is essentially the same line of thinking that dumars apologists have been laying out since the AI trade.
      first, it was wait until AI is gone….
      then it was wait until the cap space is used…
      then, it was wait until CV and BG get acclimated…
      then, it was wait until rip gets dumped….
      then it was wait until karen sells the team and joe d doesn’t have the handcuffs on him any more….
      then it was wait until frank puts in his system…
      now, its the tay transition and the new rules….
      so what is going to be the new excuse this off-season?
      using the amnesty clause?  transitioning in the post-ben wallace era?   c’mon, be creative…
      you have to come up with a new excuse that you can flog for the next year or so.  i am really curious as to what it will be.
      remember charlie brown and lucy and the football?….
      how stupid do you think fans are?
      by the way…this is really funny:
      “They could not get a better player. ”
      really? couldn’t get a better player for 30 million for 4 years.  if that is true, how come no one else was offering tay that much money?  obviously, other teams thought they could get better players for that amount as no one else offered him that money.
      it’s delicious that tay has confirmed what many thought – that joe d gave him more money than he was offered elsewhere – and now folks are trying to twist his admission into a scenario where tay is somehow noble and loyal for accepting the biggest contract offered.
      heck, i don’t blame tay at all.  only a fool would turn down the deal joe offered.
      the question is why a sane GM would sign tay to that contract under these circumstances.  that is why just about everyone outside of a small cadre of deluded pistons’ fans were scratching their heads when details of the signing were announced.

• Apr 10, 20126:27 pm
        by Max

You are the one twisting his words.  He made no admission as you suggest.  For me at this point, this debate has nothing to do with Dumars, the Pistons or even Prince’s inner rationale .  If you take him at his word, he did not say what you are saying he said in any way.   If you say, of course he wants the money despite what he said, you may be right, but you are speculating and calling him a liar.   I didn’t twist his words at all and you refuse to address the first sentence of his statement since you don’t seem willing to concede acknowledge the points that don’t fit the way you wish to frame things.

• Apr 11, 20128:01 am
        by apa8ren9

Another wow Frankie.  I thought we were talking about why he resigned.   Where did you get all of that?.  Focus, dude focus.
        Please refresh my memory, what player did they have a realistic shot of getting on their roster that is better at the SF position than Tayshaun? That question  is so funny I cant think of anyone because Im LOLing so much.

• Apr 11, 201211:57 am
          by frankie d

“…what player did they have a realistic shot of getting on their roster that is better at the SF position than Tayshaun?”
          totally irrelevant.  just as tay’s statements about signing because he always thought the team could turn things around.
          absolutely irrelevant.
          tay’s statement is aspirational.  hopefully, one day, the team will turn around and i will be part of it.
          whoop dee dam do.
          right now the team has been in the lottery for 3 years – counting this year.
          it has not and will not be turned around for a couple of years. at least.
          cold hard fact. he took the money and stayed.  good move on his part.  sucks for pistons’ fans.
          what other player could the pistons have signed?
          who knows?  contract negotiations are fluid and unique circumstances.  CV got a contract that pays him an average of almost 8 million a year for 5 years.  at the same time, brandon bass signed a contract for half that amount with orlando.    is CV a better player than brandan bass?  which player would you rather have, bass or CV?    how could two players get those contracts, considering their respective abilities?  why did detroit sign CV and let bass go elsewhere for half the money?  any rational person can see that bass is a better player.  (and i’m aware that bass duplicates lots of what maxiell does. and that may have been a factor in how detroit dealt with the two free agents at the time.)
          who knows what players may have signed and who knows what they would have signed for.
          imho, they didn’t need to sign any free agents.  imho, they would have been better off trying to sign  singler, playing daye, moving stuckey up to the 3 for minutes, and playing JJ more at the 3.  SF was not a pressing problem.  and if it turned out to be one, there are always wing players out there – free agency, d-league – that you can pick up for a pittance.
          the team would have been much better off trying to stay under the cap so they could pick up cheap young players that teams are trying to get rid of for whatever reason.
          portland just picked jj hickson up off waivers.
          spaights got moved because memphis could pick him up without having to send a player to philly.  byron mullins the same way.  every year, several young players get moved that way.  strategically using cap space in that fashion is much better than tying up cap space, for years, with old, declining talent.  especially when that team is supposedly rebuilding.
          detroit fans made the exact same argument when joe signed BG and CV.
          i remember clearly, all of the arguments: they were the best players available….who else should he have signed?
          well…how’s that working out for the team?
          by the way…just to throw one name out there who would have been a much better pickup for detroit: mike dunleavy. cost half as much, for half the years and he’s having a much better season then tay.
          signing tay to that contract was one of the most ridiculous things joe has done.  and considering all of the ridiculous things he’s done lately, that is saying something.

• Apr 11, 20124:09 pm
            by Max

@Frankie D…..there is a posted article.   It is very frustrating when you act sarcastic and say and i’m paraphrasing “uhhh, what he specifically said was that he took the money and ran” when you are just going to rant about the your opinion in general and not what Prince said.   It is even more frustrating when you later say that Prince’s actual quotes are irrelevant as if you somehow know what he is thinking and when his quotes were the entire focus of the post.
            As for Dunleavy over Prince.   What a joke.

• Apr 11, 20126:09 pm
            by frankie d

by any metric, dunleavy is having a better year than prince.  it’s not even close.

• Apr 11, 20129:48 pm
            by Max

Please, he’s a non-starter, poor defender, undependable and probably isn’t capable of playing as many minutes as Tay without breaking down regularly.   On the other side, Prince is asked to contribute in every facet of basketball and be their first option to guard players like Kobe.
            BTW:  I know of no metric that can accurately produce a list of the league’s true top players and none of them even come close.

• Apr 10, 20126:30 pm
    by Max

Also,  while Tay said he would have taken less money to join a contender if he didn’t believe in the Pistons, that does not indicate how much money Prince could have received on the open market.    The statement implies that he would reduce his options to the contenders, as in the teams that are way over the cap and couldn’t sign him to a healthy contract.   The statement also implies, once again, that Prince is placing winning over money since he wouldn’t consider the teams that have cap space since they are bad teams.