Pistons, Ben Wallace perfect in season finale

With apologies to Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey, Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight, who all had nice moments to watch, this will solely be focused on Ben Wallace, as it should be.

Earlier this season, in a record-breaking performance by Ben Wallace against the Spurs, I wrote this:

Wallace’s 28-rebound performance against the Toronto Raptors on April 17, 2001, even inspired me to go out and spend some of my minimum wage gas station earnings on a Pistons hat. The clerk at Dunham’s kind of smirked. They weren’t moving much Pistons merch at the time. I always took pride in how beaten up that hat was when the Pistons won a championship a few years later and everyone I knew was suddenly wearing Pistons apparel. I knew before them that Wallace was special, and I’m sure the diehards like myself out there took similar satisfaction in loving what Wallace brought to the table before the masses even knew who he was.

I have hundreds of random Wallace memories like that floating around my head right now. Here’s a sampling:

• My AOL Instant Messenger handle in college was ILikeBenWallace (and I think that was my old Hotmail e-mail password, although I’m sure that account is deactivated by now, so don’t go getting any ideas you enterprising spammers out there).
  • I always seriously stated to people that my biggest dream was to have Wallace attend my wedding. When I finally coerced an actual normal person into marrying me, my co-best men failed in securing a Wallace appearance at the reception, but did present a PhotoShop of Wallace and I watching movies in my parents’ basement. It was met with awkward stares from the mostly non-basketball fans in attendance, but it remains the best gift I’ve ever received for any occasion.
  • I cried when I got married. I cried when my dad passed away. I cried when my son was born. And I cried a little tonight. Those are the only times I can remember crying as an adult. Don’t get it twisted — I’m not saying those events are equal in my life. There’s clearly a hierarchy. I’m not as psychotic as I sometimes appear (usually when replying to commenters who make me mad), but watching the way Ben Wallace plays basketball has profoundly affected me in ways I can’t put into words. Ben Wallace playing basketball has had a meaningful, spiritual impact on my life that is unexplainable, and I think that same thing goes for many who have watched him in Detroit.
  • Part of the reason I’ve never fully warmed up to Rodney Stuckey is because he wears Wallace’s number. There, I said it. It feels liberating.
  • I firmly believe with every fiber of my being that Wallace was a top five player in the league in his prime and that he’s a no-brainer for the Hall of Fame.

It was impossible not to enjoy every second of tonight’s win over Philly, from Wallace showing that he’s still a statistically impactful player (7 points, 12 rebounds a steal and a block in 23 minutes), to the awesome video montages and chance to reminisce about Wallace as a centerpiece of some of the best defensive teams the NBA has ever seen, to teammates having to drag him off the bench, back into the game in the final two minutes when the Palace crowd started chanting ‘We Want Ben.’ I watched all of that, knowing I had to write something after the game, and dreading it. Earlier today, Dan Feldman wrote a nice, heartfelt and rational open letter (sidenote: I also loved the title … ‘My Advice to Ben Wallace’ — that’s the great thing about Feldman, he knows his advice is welcome by anyone at any time) to Wallace, mostly encouraging him to make the best decision for him. Rationally, if Wallace wants to retire, he should. It pains me to say it, but he should if that’s what he wants.

What is hard for me is Wallace can still play at a high level. This season, he was Detroit’s third best player. That’s not hyperbole. His impact in limited minutes is still there. Physically, he’s far from finished. When it comes to basketball intelligence and work ethic, he has even more he can impart to this team than just on-court production. Like Feldman said, selfishly, I want him to come back, but it’s actually not completely selfish — he can help next season. So, after watching tonight’s game, hearing this from Fox Sports Detroit’s Mateen Cleaves (sidenote part deux: I loved Mateen quoting Bon Jovi with a ‘Blaze of Glory line tonight, whether it was inadvertent or not), who talked to Wallace and his wife before the game, I’m encouraged that it might not be over:

“I would not be surprised if he comes back. She wants him to be a stay at home dad, but he can still play.”

I certainly don’t want Wallace to make his wife mad by playing again, but if he’s truly considering coming back next season, that will be a fantastic, positive development for Detroit.

I was more positive, however, after hearing Wallace say this to Fox Sports Detroit’s Ryan Field:

“I like the direction they’re headed in right now. It’s tough to walk away from a team like this.”

That was my biggest takeaway from this game. This team, this season, has been hard to watch a lot. I haven’t been shy at expressing my disappointment during those lows. But it’s easy to be negative when you’re watching just about every second of Pistons basketball (You tend to see more negative than positive when you don’t pick and choose when you watch … we do this for you folks. PistonPowered = People’s Champions). Tonight’s game gave me a chance to step back and take a deep breath. I understand the realities of this team — the salary picture is not pretty, so adding impact free agents will be hard; they probably won’t draft high enough to land the kind of impact player they sorely need; they have bad contracts that are hard or nearly impossible to trade for value. I get it. But did you see them ALL wearing headbands tonight? Did you see how much they were rooting for each other? Did you see how pumped they were to put on a good show for what might have been Wallace’s last game?

I know that stuff doesn’t “matter.” But it also “matters.” I’m not making sense right now. But the thing is, we’ve watched a team the last couple seasons that didn’t seem to care all that much, that didn’t seem to like playing with each other and Wallace was a part of those teams. Those teams contributed to Wallace thinking this would be his last season. This team, though? This team has Wallace wavering. This team has Wallace feeling positive that the organization is moving in the right direction. And if that’s good enough for Wallace, I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

• Apr 26, 201211:23 pm
    by vic

Well said. this team is going in the right direction. For a real dude like Ben wallace to say that really means something. I hope he becomes a coach that stays in town with his kids, but helps out at practice and home games.

• Apr 26, 201211:39 pm
    by DVS

The team is going in the right direction. The young guys on the team are smart and hard working. They showed that they’re playing for each other and they were committed even after the horrendous start of the season.
    yeah the salary cap situation isn’t great, but it’s not completely unmanageable. Right now we need to develop the young guys we have and when they’re getting to their primes the bad contracts will be coming off the books.
    I hope Ben comes back to the team. if not as a player, as a assistant coach/player development guy.

• Apr 27, 201212:08 am
    by Mel C

Great post, I enjoyed it as much as I’ve enjoyed watching Ben through the years. I remember when Ben came over for the Grant Hill trade, I was pissed at G Hill for leaving ( I don’t even have his jersey anymore). Nobody knew Big Ben would turn out to be the player that was. I remember a game I went to while living in the ATL and watching Ben jumping out the gym on the Hawks It seemed like he grabbed every rebound that night. The Hawks won that night but Ben let me know he was for real. Another Big Ben moment is when he blocked Shaq shot ,ooooo I loved that. Thank You for all your effort as a Piston and the championship and thank you for being you. I’ll just copy and save this for next year if you decide to come back next year,  and I can paste it again when you do retire. But until then TAKE CARE BRO , and thanks for the years.

• Apr 27, 201212:14 am
    by Pistons87

Well said. I’ve been a pistons Fan since the 80s and Mr. Wallace is my favorite player ever and the only Jersey I actually own (always #3, I get the Stuckey comment). No one who didn’t live it will ever get what a phenomenal talent he was, it will fade with time but he was one of best defensive players to ever play the game and one of the smartest basketball players I have ever watched.

• Apr 27, 201212:15 am
    by Daye and Knight

Well, this horrendous season is finally over! Hopefully we actually do something in the offseason other than sign Wilkins.

First off, we need to have a good draft. If we stay at 9th in the draft order, we need to find a big man to pair Monroe with (obviously) so if I was on the clock, I would be choosing between PJIII, Henson, Sullinger, Zeller or trying to trade the pick for an already established big man (insert Cousins thought I doubt he’ll get traded).

Post draft we need to sign a player that can contribute…CONTRIBUTE! (yes I’m looking at YOU Wilkins) I understand financially it won’t be easy, but I would like to see us at least attempt to sign Beasly. He’s not the most popular option to most people but hear me out: he’s still young and wants to join a team where he can get minutes. We can give him minutes and he’ll likely become a key component on offense along with Monore and Stuckey. Last season he averaged 19 and 5 when he was the clear starter before they switched coaches.

Our lineup could look like:
    Knight, Bynum
    Stuckey, Gordon
    Beasly, Prince, Jerebko
    (insert draft pick) Jerebko (plays both 3 and 4 off bench)
    Monroe, (Insert cheap back up)

Cut Villanueva, let Maxiell walk and trade Daye and Singler for whatever you can get

This would, IMO, put us in the right direction sooner rather than later

• Apr 27, 20129:33 am
      by MNM

You don’t want Beasley..He’s proven that he’s a bit of a flake.  If you heard what Joe Dumars said the other day, he doesn’t represent what is needed on this team. He’s looking for people who have “grit” and will work hard. You also want to stay away from Jared Sullinger.  The last thing this team needs right now is a 6-7 to 6-9 forward with a big ass.. This team needs an athletic big man who can play above the rim defensively and offensively with Monroe and help to a degree make up for his short comings..

• Apr 27, 201210:44 am
        by Daye and Knight

I’m not that high up on Sullinger myself cause of his size and athleticism. Perry Jones III would be perfect if he showed he cared more than once in a while…with the 9th pick, as deep as this draft is after Davis, Robinson and Drummond I honestly don’t know who I would take…as far as Beasly goes if we can get him for a reasonable price I wouldn’t turn him down if I was Dumars. He has an attitude problem but he can ball and at this point looking at our roster now I would take that chance if it’ll get us more wins.

• Apr 27, 20125:03 pm
          by MNM

After last seasons attitude problems under the John Kuester regime, there is no way I see Joe going with a guy who also has attitude problems or “character issues” or however you want to put it. He said this past summer he was going for “high character guys” who would work hard.  I agree that if Detroit stays at #9 and both PJ III and J.S. are there, you HAVE to take PJ.. If they stay at #9 I would like to see them at least try and package that pick with the couple 2nd round picks and try and move up as far as possible..Of course, easier said than done.

• Apr 27, 20121:00 am
    by D_S_V

Kudos to PH for conjuring up those forgotten feel good Pistons moments. Always loved EVERYTHING about Big Ben, and this post plus along with the video clip did a great job of helping us reminisce on the good years – which takes a lot considering these awful last few years.

That being said… the Pistons are still basically F-ed. They F-ed their lottery chances with their pride, they have an F-ed up salary situation, and the best talent on the team is still in the “3rd-7th best on a contender” type of talent (arguably 2nd best if you want to feel that way about Monroe/Stuck – I personally don’t unless LeBron has another decision that involves helping out the Boys and Girls Club of Detroit). Considering the long shot of finding the number 1 and 2 guys in the draft, we’re still in the same spot… F-ed. Building a championship team the way the Pistons did in 2004 doesn’t happen very often and especially not in today’s NBA, so as feel good as it is to reminisce on Wallace, don’t let that cloud the fact that the Pistons are still F-ed.

Remember when the commenters on here used to talk about how Philly was doing so well? Where are they now? And Philly is pretty much the team’s ceiling unless Joe can make some moves that he hasn’t shown a sign of in these last few years.

• Apr 27, 20122:29 am
      by Max

If it’s all about LeBum, than how did Dallas win the championship last year?   The title is not just about having superstars but about having chemistry and fortitude.
      Also, I still think Monroe has just tapped the surface.  When he was drafted, their was a huge emphasis on how special a passer he is and he hasn’t done anything to disprove that since but the offense has not yet been running through him on any kind of consistent basis.   I suspect that will change dramatically and for a long time to come by the end of game one next season.

• Apr 27, 20126:04 am

A) Dallas winning the title was a major upset (it can happen, but not often). Winning in the finals was an upset, but just getting there was an even bigger one.
        B) It’s not all about Lebron, but the point was that it is virtually impossible to win it all without a superstar–like Dirk.
        C) Why call him LeBum? It’s not creative, original, funny, or helpful to your argument. It’s just basically a way of saying, “I am so biased that I appear to actually think LeBron is a poor player, ergo any of my comments with regard to him should be completely disregarded.” There are perfectly rational flaws to LeBron that you can point out, why reduce your comment to literally name-calling?

• Apr 27, 20123:08 pm
          by Max

I think LeBum is the the best player in the game by far and I have largely been of that opinion since the day he stepped on the court in the NBA.  That said, I have not called him anything but “LeBum” since the decision and I apply the term due to my total lack of respect for his character.

• Apr 27, 20125:42 pm

I suppose that’s fair. I probably get irrationally annoyed by people who mess with names like that, whether it be Kobrick, LeBronze, Gasoft, or whatever else. It just seems highly disrespectful. But I suppose your intent is to be insulting so it makes sense.

• Apr 27, 20122:36 am
    by Max

I’m not going to say anything wistful about Big Ben because I’m still hoping he comes back.
    I will say that Stuckey wearing #3 annoys me even though I like him as a player.    Monroe wearing #10 annoys me too and I didn’t like when Iverson wore #1.  And if you get right down to it, I didn’t even like Billups wearing #1, even though it’s irrational, because Lindsey Hunter originally wore #1, which reminds how I didn’t like when Hunter wore Rodman’s #10.   These things just suck.

• Apr 27, 20126:07 am

I believe there are 101 different options for jersey numbers (including 0 and 00). Even if it were a goal for players to not wear a number that a former player on the team had worn, they would run out fairly quickly.

• Apr 27, 20129:45 am
        by MNM

If the number is retired, one should not have the option to wear it again (which i thought was the whole point to retiring the number).. I 0riginally didn’t think they should have retired the #10, because Rodman was only here like 6 1/2 years and the fact that he was going into the hall of fame and the Pistons needed fans in the seats made this a perfect way to finally get Dennis in the building and for the fans to show up. He had been retired for a number of years and they never thought of retiring his number berfore then..I don’t know..I just thought it to be odd…But they should seriously consider un-retiring the #2…I mean, it’s a coach for christ sake.

• Apr 27, 20129:52 am
          by MNM

Also, I heard on an interview that Joe Dumars said that Ben’s Jersey will be retired. So Im interested to see if they retire the #6 (which is completely unlikely) or pull a Greg Monroe and retire the #3, but still allow Stuckey to wear it..Which to me, lowers the meaning of the whole thing..Obviously, this all depends on whether Ben decides to come back or not.. Either way, Stuckey should give up the number out of respect and if Ben comes back, then Ben should wear it one last season..If he retires, then the number should leave Stuckey and go straight up to the rafters.

• Apr 27, 20125:27 am
    by Mark

Big Ben is my favorite player of all-time. I think he should retire now though. He’s had a perfect going away season. From all the HOF chatter, to his play on the court that defied his age, to this great homage in the final game. He should go out on top like this where its genuine. It’d be weird if we went through this all over again next year, and wouldnt be the same, as we’d all be wondering is THIS really the end or is he coming back again? Last thing I’d want is for Big Ben to become Favre-Like in that regard.

If he wants to come back so be it, but I just think this is the perfect capper to a HOF career, and makes great sense to go out now on a high note.

• Apr 27, 20127:54 am
    by swish22

Patrick, Great to see the Ben’s and yourself end the season on a high note!  Thanks for all the hard work.
    Peace and health to you.

• Apr 27, 20127:59 am
    by jayg108

Great post. Great game.
    Big Ben was so much fun to watch through the years and to tonight was the topper. Hiw cool was it to see him put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket in the first. He was giving 110% even in his last game. I’m glad his first free throw went in.

I really hope Chanda saw how much Ben has left to offer and let’s him play one more year.

Once again, awesome post Patrick.

• Apr 27, 20128:47 am
    by steve battle creek, mi

WOW!  i did not realize you were this young Patrick! You were a gas station attendant in 2001!  LOL.   I totally now understand your insights and reference points.  From the time you have watched the Pistons they have always been on the rise, you were too young to remember the lean times — teal jerseys, larry drew, dan roundfield as starters, the years before tripuka isiah got there. So this is the real first time that you have seen the pistons go Down the ladder, not up.

• Apr 27, 20129:13 am

Actually, I became a die-hard Pistons fan right after the Bad Boys. I was pretty young watching the back to back title teams, but was hooked by the second title mostly because my dad was a die hard. So my rooting interest in the team started right as they were falling apart. I’m fully aware of the post-Isiah and teal era Pistons, so I understand how going down the ladder happens. I certainly was older and probably understood the game better watching the team the past decade, but I can throw down and talk about Ivano Newbill, Lance Blanks, Gerald Glass, Mark Macon, Negele Knight or whoever from the mid/late 90s Pistons too.

• Apr 27, 201210:52 am
        by steve battle creek, mi

LOl!!  ok, yes those names WOW, we were horrible.  So you can see where there is light at the end of the tunnel i hope.  But i always HATED the pistons in the Bad Boy days, i was a DR.J Sixer fan, then it went to Barkley.  In the Dr. J days pistons were not good so didnt worry about them at all, BUT when Barkley came up, thats when Pistons were THEE BAD BOYS and would smash my sixers everytime! HATED THEM!  When i became a pistons fan is when they got Grant Hill, my favorite player, so i had to bite the bullet and roll w/ the D.  Been a absolute die hard ever since.  So dont wrorry there will be a light at the end of the tunnel!!!  They are on the right track now, everything goes in cycles.  Lakers were bad after shaq left, celtics were horrible for YEARS, when duncan is gone watch the Spurs drop, Bulls after jordan, etc.  Just need a lil patience.  in a couple years when them cv bg contracts are gone, I GUARNSHEED WE ARE TITLE CONTENDERS, may not reach the finals, but will be contenders.

• Apr 27, 201211:54 am
    by Marvin Jones

Ben should retire and the Pistons future will be better for it, those 12-14 minutes per game he would play would be better served going to Macklin or our 1st rd pick, and make no mistake about it if Ben comes back he will play because coaches trying to reach the playoffs will almost always lean on the veteran players at the expense of the young guys development. If Max opts out then we should let him walk, encourage Ben to retire, put CV in as starting PF with his minutes determined by how he’s defending and let Macklin and the 1st rd pick back up the 4-5 spots. JJ can back up Tay, who should also have reduced minutes, with Singler, Daye and the 2 2nd rd picks getting spot minutes.

• Apr 27, 20121:55 pm
      by rick

Macklin in 12-14 minutes a game is not as basketball intelligent as BW. I get you want a big man but I dont wanna big man who doesnt know the plays and is old as hell for a rookie. If he isnt any good now whats gonna change in a year? I saw a man who looked lost although he seemed eager to be a player. I just dont see much upside for Macklin and I actually thought when he got picked he would be legit because of his age, go figure. Id take another year of BW over unproven players all day at least I know he will teach as he goes along. He would be better served arund a Charlie V instead of waiting for Charlie V to get it on his own. If you just give it to him will he do what it takes to keep it?

• Apr 27, 20122:14 pm
        by Marvin Jones

What’s going to change in a year is growth, just like Knight and Monroe, with experience and hard work he,ll become a BETTER player and no matter how old of a rookie he is, he’s still 12 yrs younger than Ben and a legit 6’10. I get that you want Ben to play forever but it’s time to move on, if we’re going to be bad, and we are, at least be bad with the younger players paying their dues now instead of later.

• Apr 27, 20122:25 pm
          by rick

If he was as good as you think dont you think he would have been in the rotation? Passed by like 51 times by teams and all of sudden cuz BW is set to retire just give him the minutes? I want someone who is gonna brin it every night. BW does not have to play every game or all the minutes but his 10-15 always have a impact on the game. Alonzo Mourning helped the Heat win a title playing significant minutes after a heart scare. You can never measure a mans heart or his ability to go above and beyond. I never said I wanted him to play forever but if it came down to those two who you think they gonna take? Better yet do a poll around the league and see who GM’S would choose btwn those two. I think its a no brainer. Joe was hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and if you can accept that then I can accept what you say. Darko at 19 is better than Macklin at 25. He looks very unorthodox to me. I thought he would help but he seems really clueless at times. If he was any good like you think trust me when I say this, the a lot more teams would have taken a flier. He should have stayed his ass at Georgetown and played his carer out there instead of running away from coaching and competition. How long do we have to wait? Ive been waiting three years and I be damn if we have to wait another one for Macklin to develop into a rotational player.

• Apr 27, 20123:10 pm
            by Marvin Jones

The fact that he lasted until 52 says NOTHING since Ben wasn,t drafted at all and how did that turn out? As for the the GMs, if you ask the question who would you rather have going forward in the rebuilding process, a 37 yr old vet or a 25 yr old rookie I think I know the answer to that one. Who another team selects or don’t select has absolutely nothing to do with whether that player can play or not. All I’m saying is that where the Pistons are in the rebuilding process we don’t need Ben taking minutes from young bigs that traditionally take longer to develope anyway and I guess Knight and Monroe nust have been running from coaching and competition since both of them were in school less time that Macklin, yeah doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you think about it does it? I’m not saying Macklins’ some kind of superstar just a young big with size and athleticism that seems to me could be a rotational player if he got some consistent  minutes, which he won’t get with Ben on the roster.

• Apr 27, 20126:02 pm
          by rick

You wanna compare a guy like Macklin to Wallace when you know he couldnt carry his jock strap. Im all for solid rotational big men but one that was picked up at 52 just does not intrigue me as much. Why if I put myself in position to be a contender next year go with a rotation of Monroe, Villanueva, Jerebko sometimes at 4, and Macklin plus whomever we draft as our bigs and that is if Maxiel walks. Talk about tissue defense. I am saying in a mentor/ player role Ben is better than Macklin and I dont want to get in a series where we only have two maybe three bigs to throw at people. People will learn to miss Maxiel if only because of the way Ben taught him how to guard Howard. So what Im saying is why not have a veteran big that teaches the bigs the tricks and trades of the game? Im not trying to run out guys who may stunt another players growth or trying to see if he can get it. Again if he was that good Do you honestly believe that the team would not play him? Think about that for a minute. He admitted himself a few weeks back he was out of shape, but he should just play because he 6’10? Trust me man I want a big man in the worst way ever since Bison Dele but I am not sold on Macklin and his celing may be no higher than Amir Johnson who is already 24 or 25. Honestly in Monroes third year he needs a solid veteran as they groom whatvere new young big they get not someone they took a flier on. Trust me man when I say this I thought he was good pick at 52 because I thought he would play bbased off his size alone.(translation) College basketball is watered down and sometimes its hard for people to find the right prospect. Dominating in college is not the same as the pros.

Now lastly again comparing BW to Macklin is assinine simply because Wallace had heart like none other and came from a small NAIA college. To me that comparison is silly if anything Id compare the guy from Atlanta(Johnson) to Wallace based off his path alone. My point about being number 52 is that not a lot of players make it in the league getting drafted that low. If you are hungry in the NBA you will make it no matter what. I have yet to see that from Macklin 6’10 and all.

• Apr 27, 201210:53 pm
            by Marvin Jones

Where did you see me compare Macklin to Ben, nowhere. I said that since we are in rebuilding mode getting minutes for our 25 yr old 6’10 rookie is more important than 37 yr old  Ben taking up 12-15 minutes of playing time that could be used on his development. Maybe you haven’t seen anything from Macklin because he’s hardly on the floor, that’ my whole point. You seem to think that Macklin being drafted at 52 means something negative when it dosen’t. You forget that the great Ben Wallace wasn’t drafted at all so don’t try to say Macklin can’t be a good player because Joe “took a flier” on him. Ben wants to retire, let him, we’re going to be bad with him or without him so  it only makes sense to give those minutes to the future and not the past.

• Apr 27, 20121:35 pm
    by Tiko

great video

Stuckey should be ashamed of himself for wearing #3

Monroe wearing 10 is a little different cuz that Rodman jersey retirement came out of nowhere but Ben was on the team while Stuckey was still wearing #3 .. shame on him

• Apr 27, 20125:14 pm
      by MNM

Ben had left a season before Stuckey was drafted. Stuckey wanted to wear #3, apparentley because he liked D-Wades game and the organization let it happen. They tend to be pretty quick with those numbers from the “Going to Work” era..I don’t know why.. outside of #3, when Billups was traded for A.I., they emmediately gave Iverson the #1, then the following year after that, they gave it to TMac.. I noticed that it took 10years until drafting Jonas Jerebko to see Grant Hills #33 worn again..

• Apr 27, 20123:12 pm
    by Max

Wasn’t Big Ben not on the team when Stuckey originally took the number though?   The Pistons might have been a bit mad with Ben at that point.

• Apr 27, 20125:58 pm

No, he was in Cleveland, I believe. Although, it could have been his last year with Chicago, I’m not totally sure.

• Apr 27, 201210:18 pm
    by jayg108

I think Stuckey wears #3 b/c he idolized D-Wade.

Stuckey should forget #3 start his own legacy wearing a new number.

• [...] likely retirement? To be honest, not only am I a little rusty, but the boys at PistonPowered did a great job honoring Big Ben, so I will just let you read that. Make sure to watch the video at the bottom. I would like to [...]